Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

HKG Terminal 2

HKG Terminal 2

Old Mar 9, 07, 1:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond, Miles & Smiles *G, PC Amb
HKG Terminal 2

After returning from a month long trip to India, Sri Lanka, and the Maldives i decided to have a wander around the new Terminal 2 at CLK.

The new terminal is an entirely separate structure (but much much smaller) though it shares the same gates at T1. What it lacks in terms of space (i guess there are only around 8 rows of check-in counters here), it more than makes up for it in terms of shops and F&B facilities.

So far, only two carriers have opted to move their check-in facilities to the new terminal - Emirates and Oasis - so i guess it can't be called a budget terminal as such.

One thing that was a little odd was that after checking in, one has to go down one floor to clear immigration & security. There is no 'arrivals' area per se as arrivals would be handled in the existing terminal.

Some highlights of the terminal are definately the broad range of shops and restaurants on offer. There is also an Aviation Discovery Centre, 4D Cinema, and 'Asia Hollywood' - which is something like a Mdme. Tussauds but with Asian celebrities.

Everything still brand new...so quite sterile...

One of the most well stocked 7-11's i've seen in Hong Kong...

Pret....

What an odd shop....but speaking to the proprietor, apparently the Chinese are in love with Kiwi products....

Heading up to Level 6 where the F&B outlets and entertainment options are located...

Looks more like a shopping mall rather than an airport...

Some of the restaurants...

A new franchise for Hong Kong....there's also a BK right next door...

Located smack in the middle of the food court...

Overview of the Check-In Area below the food court...

Aviation Discovery Centre and the 4-D Cinema....is still under construction...

The 4D cinema is showing free movies until next week i believe as part of their trial...currently they are showing 'A night at the museum'...

A cockpit mock-up which is the only thing in the Aviation Discovery Centre right now....

The good thing about the new terminal is that you now have a great range (think arabic, french, szechuan, fast food, etc etc..) of restaurants to eat in before departing all at reasonable costs. The only drawback is that to access T2 from T1, you have to head down to the arrivals area and then it's a 10 minute walk from there. The tour coach and Mainland Bus terminal has also been moved to T2.
Old Mar 9, 07, 3:15 am

Programs: BA GGL
I walked around here last week, while spending some time at the airport. It is rather impressive, and - as the poster says - more like some kind of new shopping mall than an airport. Plus the Heineken bar has lovely cold beer...I spent a nice relaxing time there!
Old Mar 10, 07, 3:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Irish lad View Post
I walked around here last week, while spending some time at the airport. It is rather impressive, and - as the poster says - more like some kind of new shopping mall than an airport. Plus the Heineken bar has lovely cold beer...I spent a nice relaxing time there!
Yes and served in a frosted mug aswell! Prices are also 'city' prices for a beer and not airport prices!
Old Mar 10, 07, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Very cool. Looking at flights to HKG right now as a result...
Old Mar 17, 07, 1:19 pm

Thanks for sharing this. I still cannot picture where T2 is physically located. When you pull up to depart from, HKG, check-in is on your left for T1. Where do you check-in for T2, up the road a little futher? across the street opposite T1?

When you say it shares the same gates as T1, how is really a seperate terminal then? Or do you mean the same gate numbers, just T2 desgination.

I always thought of HKG as a stellar example of a 'one terminal everything there' example. It is too bad in my opinion that there are now 2 terminals that might cause confusion or require shuttle bussing, and that the planners could not predict capcity when Chek Lap Ko was first built.

And what about the Airport Express now? That is why I loved HKG, you come in on Airport Express (one final stop T1 only) and check-in, security, immigration is on the same level --no ups or downs.

Thanks for sharing the pictures, BTW.
Old Mar 17, 07, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

T2 appears to be across the street from T1.

There are no gates at T2, just check-in areas and shops/restaurants.

http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/pr/pr_878.html

T2 is located next to T1 and is easily accessible by private and public transportation. Airport Express passengers using T2 should exit through the train's right-hand doors at Airport Station, while passengers using T1 should exit through the left-hand doors. Private cars, taxis, buses and coaches may stop at kerbside on the Departures Level of T2. Parking is available at nearby Car Park 2.
Old Mar 17, 07, 10:33 pm

Programs: UA MP
Originally Posted by slickalick View Post

One of the most well stocked 7-11's i've seen in Hong Kong...
Weird... I faintly recall passing through here in 2003 and buying a package of M&Ms. I remember paying US$2 (RIP OFF!) for it, and it was in a plastic package instead of a paper one and that BLEW MY MIND at the time. Really cool pictures, by the way!
Old Mar 17, 07, 11:00 pm

The Airport Authority have made it more complicated than it actually is by naming the two buildings T1 and T2. What T2 is is basically a glorified check-in hall that just happens to be in a different building.
Old Mar 30, 07, 5:23 am

I am going to H.K. in a couple of weeks and this time I am trying Oasis.

Does anyone know if you can still check baggage in at the Airport Express terminal in Kowloon for Oasis or would you have to check in on arrival at terminal 2?
Old Mar 30, 07, 5:35 am
Suspended

Can someone clarify where exactly is this terminal/building/checkin hall.

And how do pax clear immigration/security? Still through Terminal 1? The website does not really provide anymore information?
Old Mar 30, 07, 10:45 am
Original Poster

1) You will still be able to do ITCI (in town check in) for Oasis at the Airport Express stations.

2) The terminal location - picture this if you take the Airport Express to the airport you would normally exit from the left hand side doors to enter the terminal (now terminal 1), well you would now use the right hand side doors to enter terminal 2. Thats probably the easiest way to explain it. T2 has its on immigration and sercurity one level below the check in counters. However, gates are still located in the old terminal.
Old Mar 30, 07, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by slickalick View Post
T2 has its on immigration and sercurity one level below the check in counters.
This is such a benefit to HKG T1 and what makes this airport so special and top rated -- when you exit Airport Express at HKG, you basically go up any one of a few ramps (no stairs, corners, steps, elevators, escalators) to check-in and immigration and security are on the same level, but then you do go down for gates and shopping after security, but by then you have dumped your luggage at check-in.
Old Apr 1, 07, 4:51 am

Programs: Concorde Mach 2 -UAMM- First to Fly A380/B787/B747-8i/FlyingHonu
From the pictures, I like the ceilings.

Although there is nothing to me that's exciting about the new HKG airport.

I really miss Kai Tak.
Old Apr 1, 07, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by STAM4NICK View Post
This is such a benefit to HKG T1 and what makes this airport so special and top rated -- when you exit Airport Express at HKG, you basically go up any one of a few ramps (no stairs, corners, steps, elevators, escalators) to check-in and immigration and security are on the same level, but then you do go down for gates and shopping after security, but by then you have dumped your luggage at check-in.
I believe the reason why the security and immigration are on the lower deck is because they've extended the little train the shuttles between the farther gates into terminal 2. So basically the train now has 3 stops...T2, T1 (Gates closest to immigration/security), and then the furthest stop...gates 60 etc...
Old Apr 1, 07, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CDG1 View Post
From the pictures, I like the ceilings.

Although there is nothing to me that's exciting about the new HKG airport.

I really miss Kai Tak.
Me too. Don't make me cry!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: