Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Venice Carnevale-US Airways lost our costumes!

Venice Carnevale-US Airways lost our costumes!

Old Mar 6, 07, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United, Alaska
Unhappy Venice Carnevale-US Airways lost our costumes!

I left for Venice on February 15th (the day *after* the catastrophic snowstorm) out of Providence, RI, via Philadelphia, where I got first-hand knowledge of what I've now found out is the US Airways Luggage Experience™.

After being told that the flight was an hour late (which seemed like no problem since I had scheduled 3 hours for the layover), we were finally told that our plane was actually still on the runway at PHL, waiting for a take-off slot.

I arrived in Philadelphia 5 minutes after the scheduled take-off time for my Air France flight to Paris! Fortunately, US Airways actually had an underbooked flight to Paris leaving an hour and a half later, and they got me onto it, noting that I had two bags checked through (and apparently, lost, since they were booked onto the already-departed Air France flight).

After I got to Venice, I filed all the appropriate forms, and *one* of my suitcases arrived less than 48 hours later - delivered right to my apartment in Venice. No word at all on the other bag, to this day - 18 days later! And of course, it was my brand-new, Swiss Army, bright green roller bag, that had my Carnevale costume, travel iron, camera, and various costume accessories in it.

I'd chalk this up to what sounds like Typical US Airways Incompetence™, except that exactly the same thing happened to one of the friends who met me in Venice - and he had traveled through Philadelphia on US Airways more than a week earlier (no snowstorm excuse). His bag of boring clothes turned up a few days late, but the bag containing his and his wife's costumes is still missing!

My friends have got a website up: www.usairwayslostmycostume.com
My information is on the secondary page.

I guess I'm posting this in hopes that somebody out there will be spared our experience. We missed out on a lot, and there's no way that the $400 per passenger that US Airways is liable for will make it up to us.

If I ever get to go to the Venice Carnevale again, I'll make sure that my hand-beaded custom costume fits in a carry-on.
Old Mar 7, 07, 8:43 pm
Suspended

Compensation/Claim for Delayed Baggage

The final carrier you flew (in this case, your Paris-Venice carrier) would be the one to handle your claim, not the originating carrier (US).

This is how its done domestically, i cant imagine it would be done differently in this case.
Old Mar 8, 07, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: United, Alaska
Originally Posted by N145PM View Post
The final carrier you flew (in this case, your Paris-Venice carrier) would be the one to handle your claim, not the originating carrier (US).

This is how its done domestically, i cant imagine it would be done differently in this case.
Yup, you're quite right. I should have said Air France will be the ones to give me the $400, if nothing ever turns up. (Or, in the case of my friends, Lufthansa).

But if I were Air France or Lufthansa, and having to deal with some godawful number of claims resulting from US Air incompetence, I'd be going after them in a big way to get their baggage-disaster under control.

If I'd known beforehand about a) US Air's atrocious lost luggage history, and b) Philadelphia's atrocious lost luggage history, and c) US Air's particularly atrocious Philadelphia lost luggage history, I would have booked a different itinerary. Seriously. I doubt I will ever fly through Philly again. And I actually didn't book onto US Air, but my ticket from "United" wound up being on US Air. Note to self: Always read the fine print.

*shrug* Live and learn.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: