FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trip Reports (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-reports-177/)
-   -   LHR-BKK-LHR on BA in J and F. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-reports/665693-lhr-bkk-lhr-ba-j-f.html)

no longer atc Feb 28, 2007 8:49 am

LHR-BKK-LHR on BA in J and F.

Checked in at T4 quite late, so no time for exploring..lucky to get three seats together, 14d/e and f. Boarded quickly through the fast track, and welcomed o/b. Crew took my jacket quickly, and offered me choice of Heidsieck Monopole blue top, orange juice or water. Fizz for me please, and OJ for kids.
After take off, menus etc passed around and a welcome glass of Kir Royale..decide on the Rock shrimp and prawn terrine, followed by Shaun Hills' fillet steak with morel mushroom sauce. Kids didn't bother with starters but had the Salmon fish cakes with caper sauce, which they pronounced excellent. Wish I'd had them as the steak wasn't up to much. However, the Grant Burge summers chardonnay was very good..possibly had a glass too many as I seem to have fallen asleep fairly shortly after dinner!Dessert was an unremarkable creme caramel. Cup of tea (sorry, Earl grey only available in First!) and so to sleep. After a pretty good sleep, we skipped breakfast as local arrival time was about 1530 and we were eating out that night. Landed on time and had a 3 mile hike to Immigration. Lovely lady took pity on me and kids and ushered us to front of a "local" immigration line where we were cleared rapidly.
6 days sunning ourselves later, we arrive at Suvarnabhumi (?) at around 2230 for our 0005 departure. Our tickets were for J class, but we were directed to F class check in. I thought it was odd when they put F class tags on our bags- even stranger, when I was handed our boarding cards, they were for seats 5 e,f and k! Hey-let's not complain, go with the flow. I offered our 700 baht departure tax, but was told it was included in ticket price, yet others in our party had to pay....never figured that out! To be continued......

no longer atc Feb 28, 2007 9:10 am

BKK-LHR F class BA cont.

Wandered round terminal trying to spend last of the baht, and were about the last to board. CSD welcomed us with "I was beginning to wonder where you had got to !" Made that lovely turn left from door 1 and settled into row 5-back row of first. I normally prefer to sit furthur forward as I find lights from the galley quite intrusive at night, not to mention idle crew chatter ! Had the usual po faces from others in F seeing me with children-but they know how to behave so I wasn't worried ! Kicked off with some delish Taittinger and crew handed round iced towels to all whilst introducing themselves. The lovely Liz handed us menus and sorted kids with juice. After taxiing out, Captain came on PA to say a passenger in M had been taken very ill, and they were consulting with medical staff to see what best course of action was. A fellow F class pax was a doctor and kindly offered to look at her, but BA medical had decided she needed offloading. Back on stand to remove her, and her luggage, and cleaners onboard to clean door area where she had been copiously ill....90 mins later we were off..again ! Liz said crew were very close to going out of hours, meaning a return to hotel for all !Anyway, finally off and settle down for dinner. Decided on Smoked salmon terrine with crab and Roast veal fillet with veg. Not particularly inspiring.. Liz did comment on how unappetising it looked! Sam had a bacon roll, and Ellie the chicken and tomato pasta from the lighter option menu. I indulged myself with a few glasses of Meursault, and a few Chateau Leoville-Poyferre 1995. Both excellent. Warm pineapple crumble followed, and a heavenly pot of Earl grey and then I made kids beds up (much to crews chagrin!) and settled down for a movie. The IFE guide bore no relation to the IFE guide ..and I mean, no relation !Had no idea what the movies were so just slept.
Woke around 7 hours later, very dry cabin so schlepped up to front table where there is usually a water table laid out- not today. Every other time I've been in BA F, there is a selection of waters there. Was given one from galley. Breakfast followed with a full English (more bacon rolls for kids )but had to ask for a tea....all in all, a bit dry.
Incidentally, menu said chocolates and Duchy of Cornwall biscuits. Every other time on BA F the crew have handed round a large box of Green and Blacks, but didn't see any this time, nor the biscuits. However, when we were in the hold for LHR I specifically heard from the F galley "Anyone wanna chocolate ? We've got to finish them !" Ditto biscuits !

notsosmart Feb 28, 2007 10:28 am

However, when we were in the hold for LHR I specifically heard from the F galley "Anyone wanna chocolate ? We've got to finish them !" Ditto biscuits !
Are you sure this was BA? Not UA? :D :D :D

Nice report. Sounds like you and yours had a lovely time. An upgrade C > F is always welcome I say!

Were you flying full-fare J? That might explain the u/g...