Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

tom911 goes to the Jungfrau (11,782 feet)

Old Feb 23, 07, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life

I'm in Wengen this afternoon, just coming down by train and ski lift from the Jungfrau (Rudi has this thing about going DOWN the UP ski lift, the first time I've ever done that, and I held on for dear life). My 10 day Swiss trip was an add-on to the London Do on President's Weekend. I got over here using a 1 pound ($2) BA ticket ($45 with taxes) and flew from London Gatwick to Geneva, and activated my railpass the following morning. An 8 day rail pass was $US265 (about $33 a day). There is a supplemental charge for the trip from Wengen to the Jungfrau (discounted because of my rail pass).

The BA flight LGW-GVA departed an hour late due to fighting at the Venice airport (incoming flight delayed from there) due to a security screener's strike. While waiting in the BA lounge I certainly got my money's worth, enjoying sandwiches, cream of broccoli soup, wine, and chocolate cake. I'm allowed access there due to One World Emerald status with AA. I also used one of their two PC's.

I'm primarily posting today to share my photos from the train trip up to the Jungfrau, the highest train station in Europe, at 11,782 feet, which I did a few hours ago. FTer Rudi joined me for this trip.
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/[email protected]=ALL

Earlier this week I was at Zermatt and the Matterhorn, and those photos are also on line:
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/[email protected]

Additonal photos from Lausanne (I toured the Olympic Museum and saw the torch collection), Geneva and Vevey are linked below in the 2007 folders.
Old Feb 23, 07, 10:32 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Platinum & MM; AA dirt; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold; & some other useless titles
Hopefully you didn't have to hike to the Jungfrau base train station, from Rudi's chalet. He had me trapsing through through heavy snow on unmarked trails to get there!

It's a beautiful area, that's enhanced by your gracious host. ^
Old Feb 23, 07, 2:24 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
Rudi has this thing about going DOWN the UP ski lift, the first time I've ever done that, and I held on for dear life

well, some years ago I made Tom911 skiing down the slopes to get there, but he told me to never repeat that ... then next time I did let him take a bobsleigh to follow me, but that scared him too ... and now he feels unsafe taking the chairlift in the 'wrong' direction downhill.

What can I do next time?
Old Feb 23, 07, 2:38 pm
Moderator, CoronaVirus and Hilton Honors

Programs: some
That is a beautiful area with lots of nice trails (perhaps not so good this time of year), and of course Rudi is a fantastic host.
Old Feb 23, 07, 3:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
Originally Posted by Rudi View Post
Rudi has this thing about going DOWN the UP ski lift, the first time I've ever done that, and I held on for dear life

well, some years ago I made Tom911 skiing down the slopes to get there, but he told me to never repeat that ... then next time I did let him take a bobsleigh to follow me, but that scared him too ... and now he feels unsafe taking the chairlift in the 'wrong' direction downhill.

What can I do next time?
He's a flyertalker, send him down by air, a tandem paraglider
Old Feb 24, 07, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Well, that Swiss Army helicopter circling about at 12,000 feet looked pretty inviting. Wonder if they're a One World partner? After two days of skiing last trip, about 3 years ago at this time, I decided my skiing days were over (it took two weeks for all my sore muscles to get back to normal..Rudi gave me quite a workout). I lost 9 pounds on my Austria trip last month, and hoping to do as well with all the hiking about on the Swiss trip this month (though it is intensely painful to walk past a bakery in the morning).

Excellent call on the weather, though, as it was very cloudy when I awoke this morning (now Saturday), and not a sign of blue sky anywhere.

Wanted to add that I posted the above from Berne, and now I'm in Fribourg where I've taken refuge in a pub from the POURING RAIN outside. At least the pub has free wi-fi (big sign on the front door). Head back to Interlaken later today, and then off to Pontresina in the morning.

Last edited by tom911; Feb 24, 07 at 7:03 am
Old Feb 24, 07, 12:32 pm

Jealous!

Say hi to Rudi!
Old Feb 24, 07, 4:00 pm

Programs: No more status...just doing my best in burning my points/miles.
Tom, I'm jealous! How is the snow out there?
Old Feb 25, 07, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by party_boy View Post
Tom, I'm jealous! How is the snow out there?

I think Rudi is on his way to Basel right now. Snow is fine at the high elevations, but even here in Pontresina, where I just arrived at 4pm, there's lot of bare spots, and the mountain I'm looking at out my window looks pretty sad. Fortunately, though, it is SNOWING here (first new snow since I've been in Switzerland for 6 days now), and it's a winter wonderland. After dinner (included in the hostel here at 6:30pm) I'm going over to St. Moritz to mingle with the rich and famous
Old Feb 25, 07, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wengen ^

Thanks, tom911, that brings back memories
Old Feb 27, 07, 6:12 am

Programs: UA, TK , Starwood > Marriott
Glad to hear you've enjoyed the Jungfrau trip. Not surprised of course to hear about Rudi's generous hosting. He's a star... Enjoy the hockey game tonight!
Old Feb 28, 07, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Really enjoyed the hockey game. Those Swiss fans really like their ice hockey Poor Davos, though, as they did not win (I was sitting next to a couple hundred Davos supporters who were not too excited the last 20 minutes as Zurich scored).

Just uploaded my final photos from the airport (Pontresina, St Moritz, Berne, Fribourg) as I wait for my AA flight that is running an hour late (glad I'm not on the JFK flight--it's been cancelled). They're all in 2007 folders linked below.

Had a great time here
Old Feb 28, 07, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Hi Tom, thank you for another 'wish you were here' trip report (I'm wistful now, too!) and for the photos. You must be racking up plenty of miles and camera-time!

Cheers from SYD! ^
Old Feb 28, 07, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I should have 47K after this trip. I always start off the year with a bang. I'll be burning some of those miles to MEL next month for swimming World Championships, and then to SYD for a one day Duel in the Pool (US vs Australia).
Old Feb 28, 07, 9:03 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Craig6z View Post
Hopefully you didn't have to hike to the Jungfrau base train station, from Rudi's chalet. He had me trapsing through through heavy snow on unmarked trails to get there! ...
Let's talk facts here: We (a bunch of FlerTalkers) had to cross an avelange 'endangered' snow field. I as their guide wanted to make sure that they would have taken care of (... at least providing cuffins with the correct size ...) if anything would happen, so I had no other choice as to make them cross that field first and watching them ...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: