Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SilverJet All Business Class 767: LTN-EWR

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2007, 2:02 am

Programs: SAS Gold, FB Gold, BA Gold, EY Silver
Very nice report!! Thanks for posting! ^

There is another trip report about Silverjet on Airliners.net with a few pics as well, it sure does look tempting to try!!
http://www.airliners.net/discussions...ad.main/94647/
Old Feb 26, 2007, 6:36 am

Despite the lack of a fully flat bed I slept comfortably enough to function the next day at the office, though did rowse a few times to reposition to guard against the dreaded wedgy.

Krug! The blanket should also head to cover the dreaded wedgy!
Old Feb 26, 2007, 7:55 am

Programs: BA Gold
Great report ^
Old Feb 26, 2007, 8:58 am
Suspended

The seats look like the AY new Business CLass seats, Just different fabric and more cushioning.

I just don't understand these All Business Class airlines, why don't they update the interior properly with 777 style ceilings and lockers? The old style 767 looks so bad and out of place.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Nice Alex cartoon about this sort of airline last week
Old Feb 28, 2007, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by krug
[B]incidentally referred to as “blind” and “deaf” on the special assistance website – surely something a little more PC might be adopted…?
Why?

These words are simple, short, monosyllabic and completely unambiguous. Models of clarity that will be readily understood even by those who are not native English speakers.

Johan
Old Feb 28, 2007, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
Nice Alex cartoon about this sort of airline last week

LMAO!!!

Surely no one here shares the cartoonist's pov?

---

Great post by the OP! ^
Old Mar 2, 2007, 8:57 am

Programs: UA 1K
It's boring without any pics.
Old Mar 4, 2007, 3:53 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by greggwiggins
Thank you for a superb report; you've provided a very good assessment of the airline's pros and cons along with a fine description of the 'feel' of the flight.
I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Originally Posted by alanR
Re getting to Luton Airport by train.

You mention Midland Mainline but for most people coming from London (or Gatwick Airport) First Capital Connect (formerly Thameslink) would be a better choice
Very good advice - they go from Blackfriars I think, so handy from the City?

Originally Posted by LiviLion
The last time I went from LTN to the parkway the bus was free.

Who told you it was £4?
I think the bus is free, but the cab (which is what I was referring to in my report) is not free unless you are travelling with SilverJet who cover the £4 cost for you.

Originally Posted by johan rebel
Why? These words are simple, short, monosyllabic and completely unambiguous. Models of clarity that will be readily understood even by those who are not native English speakers.
I entirely agree, Johan, but our US brethren may not - and as many of those using the site may be used to other description, this very pragmatic and British description might jarr somewhat. Consider the wikipedia entry on the word spastic used to describe cerebral palsy sufferers as an example of the sort of unintentional offence which can be engendered.

Originally Posted by seng
It's boring without any pics.
Thank for a superbly constructive contribution to FT. I am sorry you were "bored".

Originally Posted by Dave Marsh
The seats look like the AY new Business Class seats, Just different fabric and more cushioning.

I just don't understand these All Business Class airlines, why don't they update the interior properly with 777 style ceilings and lockers? The old style 767 looks so bad and out of place.
Because there is a (meant to be..) a concierge style baggage handling service, and fewer people on board there is less need for overhead space, so actually the old lockers provide plenty of space.

The cost of upgrading the lockers is massive (remember the are safety certified and load tested) and frankly the minute these airlines have the cash to invest in newer more fuel efficient aircraft they will; no point in investing in the first aircraft on a renovation which is not essential, costly, and is likely to be tactical while they obtain more planes.

Yes, as I mentioned in the report, I think the SilverJet seats are exactly the same as Finnair, and you can see a very good animation of the Finnair seat by clicking the link in the text below:

The seat is of the lie flat variety, and looks to me exactly like that offered on Finnair.
Finally I neglected to mention that there are two seats which may look great but are probably to be avoided. The final two centre seats in the forward cabin are situated right in between the centre two lavatories; although these are curtained off in flight, you are in close proximity - the seal round the door on the men's loo (the other side is ladies only!) had quite a gap and I had a good view out into the cabin while "seated"......

I would also recommend Flying At The Front End an excellent article for those for whom words provide insufficient stimulation .

There is also a splendid PR NewsWire link here referenced earlier by KenJohn which has several lengthy videos of the aircraft, seat and gives a good feel for the entire experience.

Pity the "passenger" look so uncomfortable in that environment - the models selected should have been more Harvey Nichols and less Top Shop.

Good to see the "getting there" section of the website has been revamped, but now no mention of the Helicopter Transfer from Battersea which was mentioned in my booking:

In London, from mid-February, we are able to arrange helicopter transfers to whisk you from Battersea heliport in the heart of London to London Luton airport in 11 minutes. Silverjet's helicopter is a twin engined, Augusta Grand with two pilots, and can carry up to six passengers. To operate this service, prices start from £249 per person each way.

For further information, please call from UK: 0871 700 8520 or from US: 877-359-7458

Last edited by krug; Mar 4, 2007 at 3:58 am
Old Mar 4, 2007, 4:29 am

Programs: DL DM+5MM, AAGold MM, UA 1K+2MM, BA GGL,LH Senator, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, HY Plat
Thanks for the very detailed report, extremely helpful!
Old Mar 5, 2007, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by Dave Marsh
I believe it is not possible for the aircraft to change to a 777 interior, as they have to deal with the wiring and the air-ventlation. If they can do it, I believe SQ would want all their 744 to have a 777 interior. On the other hand, I think you should ask a question why don't this airlines buy a 767 equipped with 777 interior? All 767-400 have 777 interior, as well as new 767-300.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by LiviLion
The last time I went from LTN to the parkway the bus was free.

Who told you it was £4?
I interpreted this as refering to the cost of a regular taxi from a station if you didn't want to wait for or take the shuttle bus.
Old Mar 8, 2007, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Guessing that a start-up like SilverJet wouldn't be buying a new 767, I thought I'd do a background check on G-SJET, the 767-200 which you provided a picture link to. Turns out this plane, the only one in Silverjet's fleet thus far, has quite a history...

The aircraft was built as a 767-216ER, the 144th off the production line, and delivered to LAN Chile as CC-CJV in 1986. Since 1995, it has flown for Trans Brasil, Air Madagascar, the government of Cameroon and British operator FlyJet. From June of 2004 to January of 2006, it was stored out in the desert at Victorville, California before returning to active duty under FlyJet.

Since I log all my flights and have also flown a few of LAN's 762s, I thought I'd check that angle out as well. Sure enough, I flew this aircraft with LAN from LAX to SCL via MEX/LIM in November of 1994. Needless to say, it's received quite an upgrade from its days with LAN when it was operated in a three class configuration.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 9, 2007 at 10:35 am
Old Mar 9, 2007, 5:00 am

Programs: BA Silvercard. VS Gold Card
Great report and thanks for referencing my smaller effort at the end of yours

One part of the experience that went well for me was the tea - and I am a fuss-pot on such matters!
Old Mar 11, 2007, 7:18 pm

Programs: aa exp 1MM, alaska air, united, hhonors gold, spg gold
I also was unable to locate information about what sort of at seat power supply was available...
What did you discover? Is it 110 volt AC or cigarette lighter connection or what?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.