Reload this Page >

Tokyo - Hyatt Century November 2006

Old Jan 14, 07, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Various

Century Hyatt Tokyo-Shinjuku - November 2006 - Room 2021 - 27,227 all in

Here's a brief review of my stay at the Hyatt Century in Tokyo back in November. I won't give complete and intimate details of everything, but if anybody has any questions, feel free to ask. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words, so of course I've included a few snaps from my visit. Sorry a few were a bit out of focus, but they do give you a basic idea of what to expect.

First of all, the Hyatt Century (as many of you may know) is located not far from Shinjuku JR station, which is quite convenient. They offer a shuttle bus from outside of the station/shopping complex to the hotel, and it runs every 1/2 hour from 6am until about 9:30pm. Word to the wise, the bus was ALWAYS packed in both directions, so it's best to arrive at least 10 minutes before departure. If you only have a small travel bag, and you don't mind walking, you don't even need the shuttle; it's only about 1 mile from the station. Another point is, there's a way you can get to/from the hotel by mostly walking in the underground walkway/shopping areas.

I stayed at both Hyatt Century (paid stay) and the Park Hyatt (using GP Points). The Hyatt Century is simply the most convenient to transportation options, and so most staying at the Park Hyatt are going to be taking a Taxi, Private Car, or Airport Bus. Be prepared PHT is not convenient to public tranportation..

For reference, I'm going to refer to Hyatt Century Tokyo as HCT and Park Hyatt Tokyo as PHT.

Here's the somewhat overwhelming lobby/entry to HCT:

Somebody/somewhere mentioned something about the chandeliers, and it's probably one thing I might or might not have paid notice to, but since I was on the lookout, I was "wowed" and so I took a quick click:

On the way up to my room, I noticed alot of activity going on with 2 or 3 weddings taking place in the hotel. In fact of the three hotels I visited during my visit to Japan, there were weddings taking place in two of them. The room I requested was a non smoking room on a high floor. I am a "Platinum" Gold Passport member, and so I'm used to not expecting much as far as any extra goodies/amenities etc., but I was given an invitation to the Continental Breakfast Buffet at no charge for the next morning. This consisted of a small variety of pastries, hot tea, coffee, and sliced fresh fruit.

Going on up to my room...I found it interesting that you are given a key (somewhat like a skelleton key) that you use to access your room; so no card keys that we have come more familiar with. The custom is to leave your key at the front desk every time you leave the property, and then check in with the front desk upon your return. Note the somewhat narrow hallway/entryway in the room...here's the photo:

A quick shot of the bed, which was not a Grand Bed, but quite comfortable:

Hey, what's that on the pillow? Sorry the photo quality sucks, but I thought I'd show what a nice touch it was to get Origami to welcome me to my room:

A small desk in the room as well, right next to the window, which had an excellent view (To the RIGHT of the chair --->) while just sitting back:

The view, and what a nice one it was!! My room overlooked the fantastic Shinjuku-gyoen park:

Swimming anyone? I would highly recommend a visit to the swimming pool on the top floor. Quite an experience, as it's an indoor facility and there's plenty of sunlight coming in from all directions. You'll need to wear a head cover (something not too common for men in the US) and if you've forgotten your swimsuit, they will rent you a loaner. When you're done with your swim, there's a complete spa/locker room for cleaning up, and also no need to walk around the hotel in your swimming garb.

The pool:

How's this for another spectacular view? Taken from the top floor pool room:

I might add that the concierge desk was most helpful with even the most basic of questions. The staff overall were excellent and very service oriented. The facilities overall were above what I've seen in most Hyatt properties, with the exception of maybe a few of their nicer resorts. I will mention again, that this hotel is quite convenient to shopping and all kinds of interesting restaurants that are within a comfortable walking distance.

After checkout, I took the Shinkansen (Bullet Train) at the advice of the CHT concierge. It was a full afternoon trip, but I was jazzed about the scenery:

Old Jan 14, 07, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Rob, sounds like you had a great tme. So was the fitness facilities and the pool free to use for gold passport holders or did you have to pay a fee ? I was told by the hotel in an email that my room would be facing the Sumitomo bldg but they would try their best for a room with a view. The trip on the Shinkasen, was it a return trip ? What was the cost ? The Sunrise tour company is charging 15000 Yen for a coach trip to view Fujisan, a ferry tour, a cable car tour, llunch and return on the Shinkasen to Tokyo.
Old Jan 14, 07, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA*G, UA 1MM, AS MVPG, DL PM
I've stayed here many times, and highly recommend it.

I have never had to pay a fee to use the pool.

If you are arriving Shinjuku on the Narita Express, follow the signs to the West Exit. When you get near the West exit look for signs to the Skyscraper District (you'll also see Century Hyatt listed on one of the signs). I have never taken the bus, as I find the walk very easy and except for the last half mile, all under cover.
Old Jan 14, 07, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow, excellent timing! I booked this place for my stay in June, and was a bit worried. Since I got a great rate, thanks for confirming my choice!^
Old Feb 28, 07, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by djjaguar64 View Post
Rob, sounds like you had a great tme. So was the fitness facilities and the pool free to use for gold passport holders or did you have to pay a fee ? I was told by the hotel in an email that my room would be facing the Sumitomo bldg but they would try their best for a room with a view. The trip on the Shinkasen, was it a return trip ? What was the cost ? The Sunrise tour company is charging 15000 Yen for a coach trip to view Fujisan, a ferry tour, a cable car tour, llunch and return on the Shinkasen to Tokyo.

Sorry, forgot to follow up with the questions here:

The fitness area and pool are free for hotel guests. They ask that you pay for a swim suit to rent and that you have a headcover (yes guys need one too) I had my boardshorts with me, so no need to rent...tini bikini not my thing, and so what if I looked so Gaijin.

The trip on the Shinkansen was round trip and I paid for it on my own through the JR station at Shinjuku. Bullet Train travel is expensive, but you only live once...It was $39USD/4700 Yen ONE WAY from Tokyo to Mt Fuji station. Plan on taking 2 hours travel time in each direction.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: