Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury in the sky: Emirates F JFK-DXB on the A345

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2006, 7:05 am
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

Luxury in the sky: Emirates F JFK-DXB on the A345

I am a luxury junky. There, I admit it. And I have had the pleasure of flying some of the top carriers in their front cabin. BA, LH, CX, and SQ spring to mind. So when Forbes rated the new Emirates A345 cabin as the top first class cabin in the sky, I wanted to try it.

The first step was to determine what routes Emirates is flying the A345. The easiest for me logistically is from JFK-DXB. Then I looked at various ways to get a ticket. I considered the UA/EK RTW ticket, til I learned that it cannot be used on the JFK-DXB flight. There is only one 345 flight allowed on that ticket, from ZRH-DXB. That seemed insufficient reason to spend over $4K.

Next, I looked at award tickets. UA allows award redemption on Emirates – but not on any flights ex-USA. Then I discovered that Delta has the perfect award for me – 160K for a first class ticket from the States to DXB. I rarely fly Delta, and had never done an reward redemption. Yet I had amassed 150K from the occasional flight over 20 years. I only needed a few more miles. I applied for the DL AMEX biz card, which credited 50K to my DL account in December.

Reports had been bad last fall of finding award space. Amazingly, when I called the Delta partner desk, I was able to book my first choice of dates on the outbound and the second choice on the return. I quickly ticketed, thinking something was surely wrong, and I’d best get the ticket locked down.

I passed on the DL part of the award, as I was not enthused about flying coach on Song transcon. It would be bad enough before I stepped foot on the A345; it seemed a crashing return to reality to fly Song after my return to the States. Instead, I booked a UA ps (premium service) flight, and upgraded to biz using CR1s. UA uses the international business class seat on this plane, and it is very comfortable.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Pre flight anticipation

I then began hanging out in the friendly Emirates forum on FT. I learned that I should ask for 2 or 3 A or K as a solo traveler. I also learned that I am entitled to a limo transfer at either end of the Emirates flight. I am transiting in JFK, so can’t use it there, but certainly will in Dubai.

I also learned that Emirates has a new comfortable lounge at JFK, with good food offerings and free internet. That’s good, as I’ll have a 5 hour layover between my arrival on UA ps and my departure on Emirates.

I studied the 345 cabin pictures on the Emirates website, and practiced closing the doors to the private cabin. I also looked at pictures on the web. Here’s one of the seat made into a bed, and one of the aisle showing the doors.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Getting to New York: UA ps (premium service)

I flew UA ps from LAX-JFK the day after the Oscars. Much has been written about UA ps service, and I won’t write about it here. Itzak Perlman, who played the themes from the best picture nominees at the Oscars, was on my flight and was first to board. The United special services agent was carrying his multi-million dollar violin. Frances McDormand, a nominee for best supporting actress, was also in F. I got the last upgrade at the gate, and was delighted to be in business class in 9D.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Mar 9, 2006 at 7:37 am
Old Mar 9, 2006, 8:25 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Wonderful report! Keep it coming please!
Old Mar 9, 2006, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I got the last upgrade at the gate, and was delighted to be in business class in 9D.
I'm already concerned that this trip isn't going well, given that you were squeezed into that awful window seat where it is hard to get out
Old Mar 9, 2006, 9:44 am

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
SAN...I'll be on Emirates FC JFK-DXB on Saturday. I've been doing everything that you did in anticipation of the trip. Now that you have just flown it...do you have any tips that could be helpful that I havent seen elesewhere? Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Old Mar 9, 2006, 10:21 am

Programs: BA emerald, AF rouge ,UA premier executive, SQ,ANA, HYATT,, AMENITI
Originally Posted by DrivingRain
SAN...I'll be on Emirates FC JFK-DXB on Saturday. I've been doing everything that you did in anticipation of the trip. Now that you have just flown it...do you have any tips that could be helpful that I havent seen elesewhere? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Flew on Emirates DXB/JFK/DXB twice you will enjoy the flight very much.
Three tips for you
1) Try the food in the F lounge it is great.So arrive early.
2) Try the food on the plane it is even better. So don't eat so much in the lounge.
3) Do not take more than one small piece of carry on on board if the plane is full in F there no place to put them as no overhead pins.Did have to put mine in one of the empty suites so did other passengers and even the crew.

Otherwise relax and enjoy you will love it
Bon voyage
Old Mar 9, 2006, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Good so far ^

Looking forward to the completed version!
Old Mar 9, 2006, 12:21 pm

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
The linked article in the OP goes to "Best First Class 2004." I notice that Forbes' "Best First Class 2005" has CX as #1, Emirates down to #9, and Thai Air at a surprising (to me, at least) #3..
Old Mar 9, 2006, 2:44 pm

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
I am a luxury junky...I passed on the DL part of the award, as I was not enthused about flying coach on Song transcon.
Carol, I could live handsomely on your crumbs....I'm looking forward to this trip report as I am reduced to living vicariously....at least until Puerto Rico, Tahiti and Oz kick in over the next couple of months.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 4:24 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Great start SanDiego1k - enjoy your pampering.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Keep it coming! ^
Old Mar 9, 2006, 8:20 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
I am a luxury junky. There, I admit it.
You ARE?! Why - who would ever have known?

Hope you're having an amazing trip my friend - love the report so far - as always, wonderful and fun - allowing me to live through you Did they have a spa? Give manicures/massages? Get to the "good stuff"!
Old Mar 10, 2006, 2:22 am

Programs: TK Gold, Etihad Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold.
I think what Idsant really wants to know is what type of lotion and soap they give you. She might even specifically be wondering if Hermes is involved

Great Report so far, I am looking forward to the rest.

Cheers,

Timo
Old Mar 10, 2006, 2:41 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Can we expect some SanDiego1K photos? I'll likely never get on Emirates, but Cathay F is a goal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.