Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

OK PRG-DXB-CMB in Y / CMB-DXB-PRG in C

Old Apr 21, 2006, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF Frequence Plus Rouge pour toujours, BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, BW Rewards Diamond

OK 188 PRG-DXB – Travel Class (Y)

After landing on time from DUB (OK-CGT, Boring 737-400) and a little plane spotting at the Crystal Lounge (scored OK-DGL! Yay! ), we made our way towards gate A3 which is at the start of the A concourse,a short walk/mobile walkway ride.

As usual in PRG, we had to go through the gate security; the process was a bit long due to the LHR flight due at roughly the same time. There is no fast lane, C-class pax and Elites have to wait like everyone else.

Boarding was announced as being by seat-rows but was more like an LCC-esque stampede; however as being both ST Elites (SE and PE) we managed to evade the seat-row process.

Aircraft was OK-WAA (Praha), the first A310 delivered to OK.
It however was in a better shape than the last UA 772 I had flown.
Configuration is 2-4-2 seating with blue cloth seats with red inserts.

We had seats 6A/6B which are the left-hand side Y bulkhead on the 313.
I was disappointed to find out there is only one window available as there is a blank panel at head-level, meaning you have to lean out to see the view.
As with most if not all bulkhead seats, trays are located in the armrest which means slightly less seat width.

There was a small bottle of mineral water in every seat pocket which was very thoughtful.

Bulkheads usually mean no floor storage - not the case on OK.
Both my camera bag (think big DSLR carry case) and my wife’s handbag stayed on the floor during the whole duration of the flight.

The boarding process was a bit long, lucky for us we had boarded earlier as the overhead bins filled up at an alarming rate.
Both C and Y were full to capacity so no upgrades possible.
Bulkhead row means having babies as neighbors as the baby-basket holders are located there on most aircraft, the OK 313 being no exception.

The aircraft pushed back on time (1 minute early) and we were number 2 for T/O.
I was happy to see the fasten seatbelt sign was switched off as soon as we were through transition altitude (unlike US carriers).

A drinks service started soon after that with a choice of both alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages which were all free of charge.
I chose a Czech “Sekt” which is white sparkling whine similar to Asti or Cava; the one OK had selected was of quite good taste.

The drinks service was followed by lunch composed of the following :
Assortment of various salads
Choice of spicy chicken and vegetables or canelloni
Bread and butter
Crackers and cheese
Cream cake with orange topping

Served in blue/white plastic containers and metal cutlery.

I chose the chicken while my wife chose the cannelloni. My chicken was very tasty and spicy, with sautéed vegetables and small potatoes while the cannelloni were a bit overcooked.

Coffee and liquors were served after the meal with the FA’s going round a second time for beverages after the meal.

IFE consisted solely of a main cabin TV which was smaller than the one we have at home. The TV’s are centrally located with no additional screens for the sides meaning you have to stretch your neck in located at the bulkhead.

The movie was “Mr and Mrs Smith” which I had seen a zillion times followed by a short comedy program.
There are only 4 channels of audio entertainment (easy listening, rock, classical and jazz) and none was to my liking so I slapped the Walkman on and tried to get some sleep.

The bulkhead provides you with a little more legroom and you can prop your feet up against the wall for support.
Recline was reasonable for an economy class (more than CO’s 772’s for example) and I had no trouble getting some sleep even though there is no headrest adjustment.
Pillows were however ridiculously small and the blue blankets were not very thick.
One good point of the absence of window is that you can rest your head against the wall.

The flight was uneventful except for the crying baby in 6E which was vocal during the whole 5 hour flight.
We had strong tailwinds and achieved a max of 1130 km/h at FL360.

The presence of the toilet just in front of our row meant people were congregating alongside our seats and “invading” our space to let people through.
The aforementioned toilets had refreshing towels, body lotion, deodorant and shaver plugs (good for recharging camera).

1 hour before our DXB arrival we were served a snack of a chicken sandwich along with a drinks service.

Landing in DXB was among the best I ever experienced, we never felt the wheels touch the ground and only reverse idle was selected.
After a short taxi time we arrived at gate 18 which is located near the AF lounge.
We exchanged our boarding passes for numbered CSA transit cards.

While my wife headed towards the duty free I decided to the AF lounge to poa…er, obtain French reading material for our holiday.
Upon seeing the CSA transit card the dragon first refused me entry to the lounge, even with an OK card. I asked to see their copy of the program conditions; however even after acknowledging the conditions she would still not let me in.
I became as red as an A310 beacon light and requested a supervisor who came promptly as she was overseeing the AF flight which was at the nearby gate 20.
Upon seeing that the dragon had refused entry to an AF Platinum she went “Rhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa” and proceded to chastise the poor dragon in my presence.

OK 188 DXB-CMB – Travel Class (Y)

After the short lounge visit it was time to board OK-WAA again for the 3h30 flight to CMB. Transit passengers were given priority boarding but again no Elite pre-boarding announcement.

The flight was full in Y but almost empty in C however our upgrade request at DXB was denied.

Shortly after takeoff we had a drinks service followed by dinner:

Red and green pepper salad
Fish and steamed vegatables/ Spicy beef/lentils and rice
Bread and butter
Crackers and cheese
Banana cake

I chose the beef while my wife went with the fish.
My dish was spiced to Asian standards, much to my liking.
The cake was awful IMHO though.

I got some real rest on this leg as the dear little baby in 6E finally decided to go to sleep (until TOD though).

We landed at CMB 2 minutes ahead of schedule.
Being the first inbound flight (5h30AM !) immigration/customs was speedy and our luggage was the first on the carousel, meaning we were in the hotel taxi at around 6 AM.

In all a relatively good experience but I think it would have been much less enjoyable in a non-bulkhead seat.
Score : 16/20

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK 189 CMB-DXB – Business Class (J)
After a lengthy check-in process (no Business/Elite desk) and a lengthy wait at Immigration we made our way to the Araliya lounge prior to boarding.

Lounge was relatively empty and equipped with computers with web access.
A choice of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages was available as well as various continental/Sri Lankan breakfast items (croissants, muffins, preserves, butter, cheese, baked beans, scrambled eggs, rice, etc)

Boarding was on time but again, no Business or Elite pre-boarding.
Boarding was done by seat row but our J-class boarding passes mean we did not wait.

Aircraft was OK-WAB (Zlin), the second A310 delivered to CSA (OK-WAA nd OK-WAB are the older A310-304 type, the other two A310’s OK-YAC and OK-YAD are the newer A310-325 type).

C-class configuration is 2-3-2 with grey cloth seats with white inserts.
Pillows are cream-colored and much bigger than in Travel Class.
A big red blanket and headphones were on every seat, however no water bottle was in the seat pocket like on the outbound flight.

We had seats 3G/3H which are the last row of business seats on the right-hand side.
The boarding process was lengthy and we sat at the gate for some time, meaning we pushed back with a 30-minute delay.

I made good use of that time though I got permission for a cockpit visit (with pics! Yay ! ). I could even have had the jumpseat if not for two crew dead-heading to DXB.
Pilots were very friendly and were proud to demonstrate the TCAS/EGPWS systems on the 313.

Upon returning to my seat I discovered the aircraft was full in Y and only 5 seats left in C.

A choice of orange juice or water was offered during the safety announcement but we had to drink it fast as we were number 2 for take-off after an UL A320.

As before, seat belt signs were turned off passing transition altitude and separation curtains were closed.

After takeoff we had a drinks service (same drinks as in Y with better wines) followed by breakfast (served on one plate all in one go):
Croissant
Butter and preserves
Cheese omelette
Two types of sausage
Fried tomato
Cheese assortment
Peach and vanilla yogurt
Fresh fruit platter
Nice salt/pepper shakers with CSA logo

This was served on white linen with white china and metal cutlery.

The FA’s went regularly round with tea/coffee and various bread rolls.
After breakfast lights were switched off in the cabin and blinds closed.

IFE in Business class was the same central TV as in Travel class except we could have a personal Sony Digital 8 player with a choice of two movies per leg.
As the screen was half the size of a normal IFE in-seat LCD, I declined and went to sleep.

The seats were 1980’s vintage business-class fare, manual adjustments (legrest/footrest with an extension, backrest recline, lumbar support).
There are two small buttons on each side of the headrest for lateral adjustment.
I estimate backrest to be somewhere between 125/130 degrees with legroom at twice the one of the Y bulkhead row (which is not much for a business class).
A nice feature is the size of the underseat floor storage which could accommodate my camera bag, taupe bag, my wife’s camera bag and her handbag.

Flight time was 4 hours and 10 minutes and was uneventful, even the babies in the Y bulkhead rows were silent (apart from takeoff and landing).

After being treated to a nice view of Sharjah airport and downtown Dubai on approach, we arrived on time even though we had a late departure, probably due at weak headwinds during the flight.

Taxi to the gate was very long as we had to cross an active runway and our gate seemed to be at the opposite side of the airport.

We taxied to gate 16 and once again had to trade our BP’s for transit cards.
The transit time was a bit longer this time and we could both visit the duty free shops and the AF lounge again. This time no nasty tricks from the dragon
The AF lounge in DXB, albeit small, is nicely furnished with the same furniture and cutlery as other AF lounges; a wide choice of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages are available as well as Western and Middle Eastern snacks (sandwiches, fluit platters, etc.)

OK 189 DXB-PRG – Business Class (J)

Same transit priority boarding as before, still no C/Elite boarding (sigh).
Boarding is quicker than in CMB, maybe because transit passengers had already located their seat.
Aircraft was entirely full both in C and Y.

Another drinks service after the on-time pushback, a long time to drink it as we had another long taxi and number 8 (sic) on take-off.

Shortly after passing transition altitude and seat belt signs turned off, headphones and amenity kits were handed out.
The earphones in C class were a big bigger than the ones in Y-class but not noise-reduction/suppression as on other carriers.
The amenity kit was a farce and represents the worst I have seen for a Business Class:
Small transparent pouch containing face mask, socks and foldaway toothbush.
Even AF has a better amenity kit in Tempo (Y). LOL !
The FA was red-faced when handing those to my wife as she was ironically retrieving something in an UA C amenity kit at the time :-)

We then had a drinks service followed by lunch.
This was a little bit disappointing as no menu cards were handed out (more on that later) and they did not greet pax by name as on most other carriers in F/C.
Lunch menu was as follows (served separately starter/main course/cheese and dessert):

Tomato and mozzarella salad with choice of French dressing or chive vinaigrette
Choice of regular, all-grain, sesame or olive bread.
Président lightly salted butter.
Nice salt/pepper shakers with CSA logo

Choice of :
Beef bourguignon with cepes (mushrooms) and Gratin dauphinois (potatoes with grated cheese)
Chicken basquaise (tomato and olive sauce) with green spaghetti (spinach-flavored) and sweet potatoes

I chose the chicken (foolish choice) and my wife took the beef. While the beef was cooked to perfection and the cepes delicious, the chicken was dry with not enough sauce and a bit hard. I pressed the attendant call button to request the other choice but no one turned up.

After a while I managed to get hold of a passing FA who enquired but alas, all the beef was gone. If a menu card with a description had been printed I would have made a different choice, hence my disappointment.

Back to lunch; after the main course the FA’s reappeared with a cheese/dessert trolley that contained the following:

Camembert
Roquefort
Saint-Nectaire
Other cheeses I could not identify

Pineapple
Mango
Papaya
Grapes
Watermelon
Various Middle Eastern Pastries

Another round of drinks was offered along with coffee and liqueurs.

Blinds were closed after lunch and the infamous Sony Hi-8 walkmans reappeared.
Toilet amenities were the same as in Y except for the presence of a big orchid (!).

I went to sleep again and woke up as the inflight buffet was being set up.
This was composed of fresh fruit, pastries, sandwiches and alcoholic/non-alcoholic beverages.

No other meal service was offered for the remaining of the 6h10 flight and no drinks service either.

We landed 30 minutes ahead of schedule in Prague Ruzyne and it was a short taxi to gate A10.

In all a rather dismal C-class experience, I was happy we were op-upped but would have been very unhappy if I had had to pay for it out of my pocket.
IMHO CSA has very good CSA/FA’s but desperately needs to sell those A310’s to a developing carrier and buy A330’s ASAP.
Score : 12/20

Comments and queries are welcome !

UTA

Last edited by UTA_flyinghigh; Apr 23, 2006 at 11:37 pm
Old Apr 21, 2006, 11:07 am

Programs: LH FTL, Marriott Plat
Nice report!

Unusual airline to fly to DXB/CMB and therefore very interesting report. Although I wouldn´t choose them on any longhaul flight as their A-310 equipment is completely outdated. Especially on such a competitive prestige-route as Europe-DXB they are far behind all other competitors. Just thinking of LX, EK, AF or BA. Far better service and seats.

-Thomas
Old Apr 21, 2006, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, QF Plat, VA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys
Thanks for this great report!

I too have been considering OK as an option for getting to DXB and possibly even CMB. Sounds like they're roughly on par for economy class but completely "out-classed" in business even by KL!

I do have a business class flight booked to Larnaca later this year, MAN-PRG-LCA, but that's on 737s and I don't know what to expect... I've heard the room in their 737s is actually generous.
Old Apr 21, 2006, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I don't think OK's pitch is all that generous in business class, but in both service and in being 2x2 (with the convertible seats) it beats the heck out of KL's "Europe Select"!

Steve
Old Apr 22, 2006, 3:56 pm

Programs: TK*G
Originally Posted by UTA_flyinghigh
C-class configuration is 2-4-2 with grey cloth seats with white inserts.
I took this flight a couple of years ago and unless CZA "updated" their Business Class the configuration is 2-3-2.
Old Apr 22, 2006, 5:00 pm

Programs: some
Sorry for being thick; which airlines is OK?
Old Apr 22, 2006, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA (what is EXP?), UA 1P, IC free mini bar club, SPG GLD
Czech Airlines is OK
Old Apr 22, 2006, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
I have always wondered if taking OK was a wise decision. Their YYZ-PRG-DXB fare is around 3000$CAD which is quite a good deal compared to other airlines. With 1 RT, I would also get gold status which would allow me to get complimentary international upgrades to business class.

But Alas, they don't seem like a very pleasant airline to fly on.

Thanks for the report ^

Cheers
Old Apr 23, 2006, 11:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AF Frequence Plus Rouge pour toujours, BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, BW Rewards Diamond
Originally Posted by renalt130
I took this flight a couple of years ago and unless CZA "updated" their Business Class the configuration is 2-3-2.
Whooups the jet lag got me. Indeed 2-3-2.
BTW C in the 734/735 is indeed 2-2 with a rather large seat pitch/width and nice food. Miles ahead of Europe Select and Espace Europe IMHO.

UTA

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.