Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

An October 2005 AONE4

An October 2005 AONE4

Old Jan 3, 2006, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Plat / OWE (Lifetime Gold), Aeroplan SE, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Avis Pres't Circle
An October 2005 AONE4

I have been meaning to write and post a TR on an AONE4 I did in October last year. I now realise that time constraints won't permit a report to the level of detail that some of our esteemed posters achieve, but I thought I might just offer some "high level" comments on the sectors I travelled.

My trip was for business, and I was circumnavigating the globe in three weeks to attend a conference, do some work and see some clients. My employer will pay for J class international travel. Being Australian, and having most of my business in London and the USA, my international sectors are always long-haul. Time is almost always at a premium, but I also aim for as trouble-free a travelling experience as possible. I use my flying time to work, sleep and occasionally relax a bit. Therefore I use a combination of upgrades (when I can get them) and money out of my own pocket to pay for F class travel. I am quite prepared to pay the difference between J and F class travel, but my expectations are correspondingly high.

First sector: QF9 MEL-LHR (via SIN) – a perfect QF sector. Good crew working in F, great food and wine. Did quite a lot of work and slept 8 hours, so didn't avail myself extensively of IFE. Breezed through immigration in LHR, which was nice.

Second sector: BA217 LHR-IAD – again, a trouble-free flying experience, although the BA F product is, sadly, IMHO, not what it once was. The IFE on the 777 is a bit of a joke, and the finesses which once characterised the BA F product as amongst the finest in the air seem to be disappearing.

Third sector: AA2187 DCA-MIA – the beginning of my US travel woes. I used to love flying the US (I started at the end of the glory days of US flying). I now look at it with ever-increasing dread. Check in at DCA was the usual debacle with getting bags tagged, then taking them off to the x-ray. The security queue was long and deeply annoying with everyone being asked to remove their shoes under threat of SSSS (I would love to tell the security agents to sod off regarding my shoes, but having enjoyed the tender mercies of SSSS several times in the past, given I didn't get SSSS once on this trip, I didn't want to chance my luck).

The F breakfast meal on this 2.5 hour sector was equivalent to what is served in the QF Y cabin on MEL-SYD (a one hour or so sector). I was looking forward to a hot omelette. Instead I got cold cereal.

Fourth sector: AA960 MIA-LGA – remind me NEVER to travel through MIA again. What a nightmare. Why those shop stalls are permitted in the middle of the AA check-in area is a mystery to me. It makes moving around impossible. And there's nothing worth buying at them. Again, the F luncheon on this 3 hour or so service was abysmal: a turkey wrap. I get a hot meal in QF J MEL-SYD.

Fifth sector: AA509 BOS-ORD – a deeply irritating sector. The two pieces only of carry on started being enforced this week. I had a small (ie, meeting Australian carry on requirements) wheelie, my laptop and one of those black plastic garment bags (that you get when you buy a suit) for my suit. I had to go through the debacle of putting my laptop bag in my garment bag so I had only two items of carry on.

I did, however, have the pleasure of meeting fellow FT'er Jaguar in the AA lounge. We had a pleasant chat about the delights of US air travel nowadays.

We were also trapped on the tarmac for 2 hours because of bad weather/air traffic control. No hot meal for dinner in F (another turkey wrap). At least the cabin crew kept the G&T well topped up. The taxi queue at ORD was long (and it was cold outside). To avoid the queue, I ended up taking a shared limo downtown, and was treated to one of the passengers getting car sick. Delightful.

The late departure/arrival also led to a very annoying experience at the W Chicago – notwithstanding two calls from my secretary in Australia (whom I had been sending email via my Blackberry to keep her apprised of my delay and in turn to keep the W Chicago informed), the W Chicago gave my room away, and I was stuck with a smoking room. It was truly awful – it smelled as though it had been kept closed for weeks. The smell of smoke had permeated the bed clothes. I had to sleep with the window open (it was 2°C in Chicago that night) just to get some fresh air. The Manager of that establishment got a blistering letter from me that morning. I cannot say I was completely satisfied with the handling of the situation, but I only had two nights in Chicago and couldn't be bothered moving hotels once I was moved into a non-smoking room.

Sixth sector: AA729 ORD-LAX – I actually like flying out of ORD. In my experience, the airport is reasonably efficient (for an American airport, that is). There is an AA Flagship Lounge for me to use, which is more like what I am used to in the lounge department (regular readers will know that QF lounges in Australia offer complimentary food and drink all day, with complimentary grown-up drinks after 3pm). The flight was uneventful. I believe there was a hot meal, but it was utterly forgettable.

Seventh sector: AA169 LAX-NRT – this sector was memorable for a couple of reasons. First, when the orders for lunch were taken, I asked the Purser for the lobster salad and the Japanese main. On all other oneworld carriers that I fly (QF, BA, CX), such a request would be accommodated without comment. The Purser on this flight, however, proceeded to explain that would not be possible because it would confuse things with the trays. I was slightly taken aback, but firm in my resolve to have the lobster salad followed by the Japanese main meal. The F cabin was not full (maybe 4 others besides me) so I asked whether it was a catering load issue. The Purser said no, and repeated that it was confusing for the galley crew with the trays. I politely insisted, was told "no" by the Purser, and then when the salad cart came around, asked the other F crew member for salad. She gladly accommodated my request, simply by returning to the galley, obtaining an additional plate and cutlery, and serving me the salad. When the Purser saw that I had subverted her, she proceeded to treat me quite frostily for the remainder of the flight. I mean, really! I am a oneworld emerald, travelling as a paid (NOT upgraded) F passenger. To be so inflexible and disdainful towards a fairly small request is ludicrous, and unacceptable in a premium cabin.

The second memorable aspect of this sector was the other F flight attendant. She was a delightful woman, with whom I struck up a conversation. As it turned out, we had several similar interests and spent a couple of hours discussing music, food and languages. She told me that the Purser with whom she usually crewed on this sector was a charming gentleman (in comparison to our rather stern and culinarily inflexible Purser), whom I would have liked to have met.

As much as I love the people, geography and diversity of the US, truth be told though, I was glad to be leaving flying in the US behind. It has become such a chore, with the earlier check-in times, increased security, mostly disorganised and poky airports, absence of decent lounges and general absence of decent in-flight service in the F cabins. Unfortunately, my business takes me to the US at least twice a year, and I usually have six or seven sectors to fly each time.

Eighth sector: CX521 NRT-HKG – at last, true civilisation. This was my first trip to Japan, and I loved everything about it. NRT was wonderfully efficient. The staff at the Airport bus bowed to the bus as it left. Real service. No tipping. Fabulous bathing facilities. Exquisite food. Clean taxis. Great shopping. Fascinating culture. I cannot be complimentary enough about Japan and cannot wait to get back there.

I enjoyed NRT immensely – huge terminals, lots of space. The CX lounge was a bit sparse, but comfortable and with everything one needs to have an enjoyable time (including draught Japanese beer – how delightful). The lounge was a source of some small fun – sitting in the F section, a couple of other passengers and I were subjected to that most amusing of creatures: the loud (American) business traveller. He was having trouble with his telecommunications, and had a series of very loud conversations with his people Stateside about those troubles. Everyone else in the area having conversations on mobile telephones were doing so quietly and discreetly. The loud business traveller is usually quite unaware that s/he is disrupting others, and possibly breaching confidence. The reason I find them so amusing is that they are usually ignorant of the glares they're getting from those around them. I simply put my Bose noise reducing headphones on and listen to music if they become too unbearable.

On board I had the kaseki (sp? Apologies, I cannot seem to find my copy of the menu) meal. Not for the food fainthearted I would say (there were several dishes which would have troubled those who are delicate of palate), but for those like me who eat – and want to eat – everything the world has to offer, a wonderful experience. The CX service was, of course, exquisite. Personal introductions from the crew, warm smiles, my needs anticipated, and everything the galley had to offer plied upon me! In contrast to the AA LAX-NRT experience, when I asked if I might have a little smoked salmon to start with, the senior FA said I could have everything on the menu if I could fit it all in! She also suggested the premium sake with the kaseki meal, which was a superb recommendation. By the time I got to my JW Blue Label, I was feeling very replete and mellow.

Ninth sector: CX105 HKG-MEL – again, a perfect CX experience. I went to the Pier as my departure gate to MEL was in that part of the airport. A pleasurable aquatic experience in the Pier shower rooms, followed by some work, champagne and a little smoked salmon as I waited for my flight. The service on the sector was exquisite, as is usual for CX. I had some trouble with my seat, and was reaccommodated immediately. Caviar and champagne, followed by some delicious Chinese food and several hours of sleep. An ideal way to fly.

Some reflections on this trip:

1. US air travel continues on its downward spiral in terms of convenience and service standards. Although I appreciate the greater leg and seat room, I do wonder why AA bothers with an F cabin on anything other than the transcontinental sectors nowadays. The experience is so far removed from proper "F" travel that it is grossly hypocritical to name the cabin as "F". I know that this is debated often on this site, and I've read the arguments on all aspects, but the simple fact is that air travel in the US is not as convenient or pleasant as it once was. Other places in the world also have to deal with issues such as security, and they seem to do a better job at making things less intrusive and more comfortable for the passengers.
However, I will be stuck with flying in the US for business and pleasure for the rest of my life, so I suppose I should be grateful for what I have now, because doubtless it will be worse in the future.

2. AA is lagging a long way behind CX and QF, and some way behind BA, in terms of premium cabin service and comfort. BA needs to lift its game a bit with its F cabin service and amenity. IMHO, CX and QF are at the head of the oneworld pack (I understand that there is some subjectivity in this judgment, as some regular travellers are not enamoured with the QF F service. I haven't had a bad QF F experience, whereas I have had a couple of less than desirable BA F experiences, and I think that BA's F cabin service is not what it used to be).

3. CX continues to delight and amaze with every aspect of its service. I intend to structure my future flying to utilise CX as much as possible. As I almost always travel on an AONE4, that shouldn't be too difficult.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 12:12 pm

I too am an Emerald Oneworld member with AA Executive Platinum status, and I too agree about the poor service on US airlines on domestic and international routes.

It always makes me jealous to compare what one gets on a CX flight from HKG to BKK compared to what I get on my weekly commute from DCA to DFW. Lounges, wide bodied aircraft, meals, etc..

I think part of the problem with US carriers is that both the airlines and now the customers are starting to think of it as just more space and few drinks.

They rarely get a lot of full fare passengers.

I typically pay $215-300 round-trip for an advance purchase non-refundable ticket from DCA to DFW. The flight time is about 2 hours 45 minutes.

As an Executive Platinum, I get a complimentary upgrade on this sector at 100 hours prior to departure based on availability. It almost always clears.

On international flights with AA or UA, I really believe business is just a cabin with Y upgrades and F is a cabin with C upgrades.

Kind of sad but just the way it is.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 11:18 pm

Chalkie, what an excellent, well-written trip report. Thanks for taking the time to write it. I particularly enjoyed reading your reflections at the end.

Thankfully I do most of my flying in Asia, where I can enjoy CX and SQ. I only visit the US a few times a year, but I do find it a stressful experience (although luckily I have never experienced a purser with quite the same commitment to customer dissatisfaction that you had on your flight to NRT!) . I also agree that BA is losing its edge in F - IFE is out-of-date, menus are becoming briefer, and the service, whilst it can be superlative, is too frequently just average.
Old Jan 6, 2006, 1:01 am

Programs: Miles & More LH
Excellent trip report. I agree with you on the sorry state of US air travel and on the generally incomparable service you get in Asia.
Old Jan 8, 2006, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA Platinum & D2, US SP, SPG Gold
"I will be stuck with flying in the US for business and pleasure for the rest of my life" .................

Well, since it is SO awful and will only get worse you may consider not setting foot on our shores for your future pleasure trips.
Old Jan 8, 2006, 7:35 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Thanks for your report Chalkie

I recently had 4 AA domestic flights in F of 3 or more hours each and agree the food on offer is worse than QF domestic Y short flights.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 7:39 am

Interesting reading! I have to say though, if you "enjoyed NRT immensely", just wait until you get a chance to check out KIX, NGO or even HND's Terminal 2. ^ I'm trying to work out a trip this year that would let me visit Japan's latest offshore airport extravaganzas Kobe and Shin-Kitakyushu, opening in February and March respectively...
Old Jan 9, 2006, 10:00 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by peter777
Excellent trip report. I agree with you on the sorry state of US air travel and on the generally incomparable service you get in Asia.
Me 2. Even when I get on an Asian Carriers plane vs an American Carriers plane I can tell the difference - no masking tape everywhere (ahem Air Canada) clean seats, spotless washrooms, the works

Thanks for the report

Cheers
Old Jan 9, 2006, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, QF Plat, VA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys
Originally Posted by Chalkie
However, I will be stuck with flying in the US for business and pleasure for the rest of my life, so I suppose I should be grateful for what I have now, because doubtless it will be worse in the future.
I'm afraid I'm stuck by the same nagging feelings, though I must say service on my most recent (December) trip back to the US was ever so marginally better than it was earlier in the year, but still a shadow of what it was even five years ago.

You know, I find it a little embarassing as a US citizen to see foreign travellers visiting our airports and flying our airlines... I know our mainline carriers are in financial trouble and there are a lot of reasons and circumstances behind this, but things really are in quite a state and I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel. I transited ORD on this most recent trip, an airport I rarely fly out of domestically (see a bit of Terminal 5 though), and what I remember as a gleaming symbol of what an airport should be (remember the United ads?) is rusty, dull, worn. And it's not just the state of the airports or the decline in service, but the way people are treated... especially during immigration and customs, there are at least six "officials" yelling at people like dogs. It's just a really poor reflection on my country.

I used to look forward to flying on my trips back home, now I think of it with a little dread. Of course, things aren't rosy over here in Europe either

Last edited by TrayflowInUK; Jan 9, 2006 at 3:07 pm
Old Jan 16, 2006, 12:22 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by peter777
Ditto. ^
Old Jan 17, 2006, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Plat / OWE (Lifetime Gold), Aeroplan SE, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Avis Pres't Circle
Originally Posted by Miami_Flyer
"I will be stuck with flying in the US for business and pleasure for the rest of my life" .................

Well, since it is SO awful and will only get worse you may consider not setting foot on our shores for your future pleasure trips.
Miami_Flyer: with respect, it appears that you may have misapprehended the intent of my comments.

I travel regularly to the US for business and pleasure. I (mostly) enjoy doing business in the US with Americans, and I always enjoy my pleasure trips to the US. The US is a very interesting place, with amazingly diverse geographies, cultures and people. As I noted above, those are things that I love about the US. I visit the US at least twice and often more each year, for a couple of weeks (or sometimes even longer) at a time. Would you rather I spent the thousands of US dollars I contribute to the US economy on each trip elsewhere?

I may not always agree with politicians in, or government policies of, the US, and I may not like the trials and tribulations of flying in the US (really, who does? Many on these forums clearly share my views), but I am afraid at the moment those are not enough to dissuade me from visiting or continuing to spend my money there.

Please forgive me though if, after having endured irritations such as "security"-driven shoe removal, somewhat-in-comparison-to-other-places-in-the-world grungy airports and falling service standards on US airlines, I engage in a little bit of venting here.

To those who complimented my TR, my sincere thanks. I enjoy writing TRs and it is only (lack of) time which prevents me putting in more effort. I will try to write another one after my next RTW, which (assuming things remain as they presently are) will be in May 2006.

I also enjoy reading all other TR contributions here. Besides the obvious attraction of the delights of reading others' travel diaries, they are an invaluable resource for keeping on top of the current state of travel around the world, and the pitfalls and perils one might encounter.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 5:13 am

Programs: OZ*G, VA Plat, NZ*G (Elite), QF Gold and PC+, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, Bonvoyed ("Gold")
Great report - beautifully observed and engagingly written. I hope you write one for your next trip.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 10:28 pm

Programs: BA GLD
A very good trip report. Thank you. Your observations about the C cabin being full of Y upgrades and the F cabin full of C upgrades is spot on. And it will remain this way. US carriers are unable to compete with many foreign competitors for a host of reasons, not the least being a seniority based system that offers no reward for excellence in customer service, as well as a physical product that lags behind other carriers. The mileage benefits keep me and many others coming back for more, though. And with more than a million miles under my belt I still love the thrill of arriving on the other side of the country or even the planet in mere hours.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.