Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

From Florida To Alaska Via Planes, Trains, Cars, Ferries And Churchill, Manitoba

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

From Florida To Alaska Via Planes, Trains, Cars, Ferries And Churchill, Manitoba

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2005, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Thanks for the kind words, everyone. It's nice to know my time in putting this little report together was appreciated. If it inspires some of you to get out and visit the beautiful north country of North America, so much the better. There's alot of spectacular scenery up there and for anyone who thinks it's too cold, the all time high temperature in Alaska is 100 degrees. In Whitehorse, I think it's about 34C. Then there's all that late night sunshine...

I always liked the forecast during the summer in Fairbanks:

Today, mostly sunny with some afternoon clouds.
Tonnight, mostly sunny.

And now, a couple of comments...

Originally Posted by Reindeerflame
I always opt for the berth option on VIA trains over the roomettes or bedrooms. Meals are included with any sleeper space (except when purchasing the space on board as the OP did), and the upper berth is the least expensive accommodation in order to get the free meals.

In 1985 I made a similar trip to Churchill. At the time, the on board upgrade charge was only $C10/night. What a deal! I also took the mixed train to the mining community of Lynn Lake, MB, on a branch line from The Pas. All this in January. The latter train now ends at Putakawagan (Native American village) due to closure of the mines. Like the OP, I headed out of town from Churchill on the same day. Unlike the OP, I next headed to Prince Rupert via another VIA train, again with the overnight $10 berths.

While meals were once included with all sleeper fares, that is no longer the case. I believe amongst long distance trains, only The Canadian still has complimentary meals for First Class passengers. I rode it in April 2004 and had a great time! Below are links to my trip on the Canadian:

The Canadian: Part 1
The Canadian: Part 2
The Canadian: Part 3
The Canadian: Part 4

For sure, on the Hudson Bay, the only amenities available to First Class passengers were a bed and/or the privacy of a room depending upon their accommodations. Meals had to be purchased.

Back in 2002, I purchased a single room aboard The Ocean between Truro (outside Halifax) and Montreal. That train included the fabulous Park Car lounge but again, meals were not included.

It's worth noting here that sleeper accommodations on the Hudson Bay and the Ocean are substantially less per night than aboard The Canadian.

Finally, I rode The Skeena from Prince Rupert to Prince George just half a year ago. Alas, sleeper service is no longer available on this train. In fact, it even stops overnight in Prince George before continuing on to either Prince Rupert or Jasper. Through passengers must obtain lodging at their cost in Prince George.

Originally Posted by ss278
So, if I might be so bold, now that winter has set in what might we whet our appetite for in the coming months? Enquiring minds want to know.
Truth be known, I have nothing of any real excitement planned for this spring. I've already booked enough mileage runs to satify my needs for next year, some of which will be taken in the spring. Otherwise, I don't foresee anything coming up until next autumn when I'm putting together a little journey involving four continents, first class train travel on three of the four continents, international ferry travel and of course First Class international air travel. I've already submitted the miles for the airline tickets.

Originally Posted by CMK10
I do have a question, did you ever find yourself on a dusty Winnemucca road?
Oh you betcha!. I've been everywhere north, south, east and west outta Winnemucca, man.
Old Dec 1, 2005, 6:00 pm

[QUOTE=Seat 2A]
Then it was on to Jacksonville where I picked up a car and sped off to a really good time at the 16th Annual Magnolia Fest. The Magfest is a four-day music festival set amidst the live oaks, sugar pines and Spanish moss along the banks of the Suwanee River in Suwanee Springs, Florida. The music tends towards jambands, jazz and newgrass with a healthy deference towards the improvisational spirit of such pioneering jambands as the Grateful Dead, Santana and the Allman Brothers. Plenty of good accommodations are available in the forest, i.e. in your tent, van or under a makeshift lean-to. Alas, no Starwood, Hilton or Hyatt properties were anywhere in the vicinity. Mainstream America was definitely not in attendance at this festival and as you might imagine, I did not see anyone sporting a FlyerTalk pin or T-shirt.

Well, I wasn't there this year, but I have been to the fall fest. Suwanee, too. I have friends who play one, or the other, or both each year. Who'd you especially like this year?

And thanks, of course, for the wonderful report(s).
Old Dec 3, 2005, 12:24 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, PC PLT SPIRE
Great trip report. Always a pleasure to read about your journeys. ^
Old Dec 4, 2005, 12:41 am

VIA's "meal included" policy researched

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
And now, a couple of comments...

While meals were once included with all sleeper fares, that is no longer the case. I believe amongst long distance trains, only The Canadian still has complimentary meals for First Class passengers. I rode it in April 2004 and had a great time! Below are links to my trip on the Canadian:

The Canadian: Part 1
The Canadian: Part 2
The Canadian: Part 3
The Canadian: Part 4

For sure, on the Hudson Bay, the only amenities available to First Class passengers were a bed and/or the privacy of a room depending upon their accommodations. Meals had to be purchased.

Back in 2002, I purchased a single room aboard The Ocean between Truro (outside Halifax) and Montreal. That train included the fabulous Park Car lounge but again, meals were not included.

It's worth noting here that sleeper accommodations on the Hudson Bay and the Ocean are substantially less per night than aboard The Canadian.

Finally, I rode The Skeena from Prince Rupert to Prince George just half a year ago. Alas, sleeper service is no longer available on this train. In fact, it even stops overnight in Prince George before continuing on to either Prince Rupert or Jasper. Through passengers must obtain lodging at their cost in Prince George.
Thanks for the clarification. Looks like things have become a bit more complicated on VIA. On the Ocean between Montreal and Halifax, breakfast and lunch are included for persons travelling Easterly Class in sleepers, but not in Comfort Class sleepers. Lunch is always extra. On the Skeena, Totem class passengers get meals included in their fare, but as pointed out, this is now a day train. So that does indeed leave the Canadian transcon with all meals included with a sleeper ticket.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Thanks for the update, reindeerflame. I must have ridden the Ocean and the Skeena during the offseason. Here's a bit more clarification. Click on the links:

Easterly Class aboard ViaRail's "Ocean"

Totem Class aboard ViaRail's "Skeena"

It's worth noting that both of these premium services are offered only seasonally.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 10:38 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
Wow! What an amazing trip. I have just been mulling over where I should go next, and have been thinking that a road trip would be a good plan. You're description of the part from BC to Alaska via the Marine "highway" sounds very cool. I did a ferry ride down the coast of Chile back in 2003 and loved it. The Marine Highway wasn't on my radar before, but now is.

Thanks for the report, and the link to your past trip reports. I have a lot of reading to catch up on now!

Greg
Old Dec 12, 2005, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

For those of you curious about that three day ferry run between Puerto Montt and Puerto Natales in southern Chile, here's a link:

Navimag Ferry

I have purchased tickets off of this link without problem. You'll find the portion of my Trip Report dealing with travel on this ferry HERE.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Dec 12, 2005 at 1:25 pm
Old Dec 13, 2005, 2:33 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Dead Head Alert!!

I know what your license plate means ^^

Great report, as usual!
Old Mar 8, 2006, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA,DL,AA and Marriott Silver
I always love reading your post. Stay warm. It is now snowing in Colorado foothills. Winter is back.
Old Mar 18, 2006, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K; HH Gold; *Wood Gold
Great Report and Reporter!

For some reason, this is the first time that I have read your reports. They are just wonderful! Makes this flyer want to turn into a train-er. I agreee completely with your views on being able to see where you are going from ground level, rather than 30,000 feet above--although I do love the view flying over territory west of the Rockies. You make traveling by truck, and staying in truck, sound very appealing. Thanks!
Old Mar 20, 2006, 8:16 am

Programs: MP
It's Now 1.12am

Hi Seat2A

Awesome report, which took me about 3 hours to read through. Mind you I have about 20 other `windows' open from the VIA Rail website through West Jet and the links for your travels in Churchill, the Marine Highway and more.

It's still summer here in Australia and the thought of travelling on the train to Churchill with snow flurries sounds like heaven.

Lots of inspiration and I plan on reading your previous trip reports as well.

Ernie
Old Oct 30, 2008, 5:29 pm

Programs: Non-Rev Lifetime
From post #6 "White on the road, white on the sides" reminds me of Dickens' Little Dorrit ;-)

Thirty years ago, Marseilles lay burning in the sun, one day.

A blazing sun upon a fierce August day was no greater rarity in southern France then, than at any other time, before or since. Everything in Marseilles, and about Marseilles, had stared at the fervid sky, and been stared at in return, until a staring habit had become universal there. Strangers were stared out of countenance by staring white houses, staring white walls, staring white streets, staring tracts of arid road, staring hills from which verdure was burnt away. The only things to be seen not fixedly staring and glaring were the vines drooping under their load of grapes. These did occasionally wink a little, as the hot air barely moved their faint leaves.

There was no wind to make a ripple on the foul water within the harbour, or on the beautiful sea without. The line of demarcation between the two colours, black and blue, showed the point which the pure sea would not pass; but it lay as quiet as the abominable pool, with which it never mixed. Boats without awnings were too hot to touch; ships blistered at their moorings; the stones of the quays had not cooled, night or day, for months. Hindoos, Russians, Chinese, Spaniards, Portuguese, Englishmen, Frenchmen, Genoese, Neapolitans, Venetians, Greeks, Turks, descendants from all the builders of Babel, come to trade at Marseilles, sought the shade alike—taking refuge in any hiding-place from a sea too intensely blue to be looked at, and a sky of purple, set with one great flaming jewel of fire.

The universal stare made the eyes ache…

This report requires more than one reading to fully enjoy.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 7:04 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
Seat2A, Par Excellent as usual! I really enjoy reading your trip reports and identify with your modes & enjoyment of travel.

You have inspired me to make my way up to Churchill.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.