Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

From Florida To Alaska Via Planes, Trains, Cars, Ferries And Churchill, Manitoba

From Florida To Alaska Via Planes, Trains, Cars, Ferries And Churchill, Manitoba

Old Nov 25, 2005, 8:36 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
OhmyGod, like, still the gold standard in trip reporting.

The Kootenay/Arrow Lake (Columbia R.) ferries in BC are the best, aren't they? Truly one of N. America's "undiscovered gem" regions.

Last edited by Gardyloo; Nov 25, 2005 at 9:03 pm
Old Nov 25, 2005, 8:45 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Skymiles, Mileage Plus, BA Executive Club, WorldPerks
Another great report, 2A.

So, if I might be so bold, now that winter has set in what might we whet our appetite for in the coming months? Enquiring minds want to know.
Old Nov 26, 2005, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, Dirt elsewhere
Thanks

Thanks for another fantastic trip report!

I lost track of time while reading it... which is the sign of a fantastic trip report.

--
After reading this, I wandered by the Rick Mercer Report and discovered that this week (November 22, 2005) he visited Churchill--you can see a video of him with the Polar Bears by visiting the web site...

Last edited by InIndiana; Nov 26, 2005 at 12:55 pm Reason: add relevant link, fix spelling
Old Nov 26, 2005, 12:53 pm

Programs: I've gone dormant. For now.
Seat2A, I am amazed! I am now inspired to make the drive up there. I have taken the Alaska Marine Highway from Juneau down to Bellingham, WA, and loved it. I now know who the authority for Alaska travel is! Thank you!
Old Nov 27, 2005, 7:52 am

Programs: AA, CO, AF-KL, [EI]
Seat2A,

that's impressive work! ^

I really enjoyed reading your report, and you have given me a lot of ideas for future holiday destinations. I also hope I will be able to visit Alaska at some point during 2006.

Thank you
okko
Old Nov 27, 2005, 4:26 pm

Great report, as always. You should create some sort of website where readers can peruse all of your reports.

Where to next?
Old Nov 27, 2005, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by haveric
Great report, as always. You should create some sort of website where readers can peruse all of your reports.
My knowledge of website creation is limited to spelling it. W-E-B-S-I-T...

Seriously though, thanks for the thought but I really wouldn't have a clue about how to build a website. Thankfully, FlyerTalk makes it really easy to access any of My Trip Reports right here.

Just click on the above link, and then bookmark that link and there you have it!
Old Nov 27, 2005, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
My knowledge of website creation is limited to spelling it. W-E-B-S-I-T...

Seriously though, thanks for the thought but I really wouldn't have a clue about how to build a website. Thankfully, FlyerTalk makes it really easy to access any of My Trip Reports right here.

Just click on the above link, and then bookmark that link and there you have it!
thanks for the link!
Old Nov 27, 2005, 7:40 pm

Programs: QR Plat
Once again I've lost a few hours of needed sleep, but as always I feel like I've almost done the journey after reading this trip report. I also love the journey, the destination is rarely important.

Seeing the travel is in the US mostly, can I sue for lost sleep?

-A
Old Nov 27, 2005, 10:21 pm

Programs: NW, MR SE,
ph-ndr,

If you are allowed to sue Seat2A for his GREAT trip reports, it will have to be a class action lawsuit since there will be many more including you and me who has foregone sleep to read up on his reports.
Are you sure you want to start that? I think I'd rather lose some sleep reading the reports than not have the pleasure of reading it when they come out.
THANKS, Seat2A for your wonderful reports and giving me ideas about trivial things to keep track of like tail numbers.

HJ
Old Nov 28, 2005, 5:26 pm

Berths on VIA are best bargain

I always opt for the berth option on VIA trains over the roomettes or bedrooms. Meals are included with any sleeper space (except when purchasing the space on board as the OP did), and the upper berth is the least expensive accommodation in order to get the free meals. Berths long ago vanished on US trains, so that is another reason to use them before they are replaced with "something more modern" in Canada as well. I find the extra room (from encroaching into the hallway, rather than having fixed walls) an added benefit.

In 1985 I made a similar trip to Churchill. At the time, the on board upgrade charge was only $C10/night. What a deal! I also took the mixed train to the mining community of Lynn Lake, MB, on a branch line from The Pas. All this in January. The latter train now ends at Putakawagan (Native American village) due to closure of the mines. Like the OP, I headed out of town from Churchill on the same day. Unlike the OP, I next headed to Prince Rupert via another VIA train, again with the overnight $10 berths.

Thanks for the report.

Last edited by Reindeerflame; Nov 28, 2005 at 5:29 pm
Old Nov 29, 2005, 5:04 am

"Anyone who’s ever received on of my postcards knows that they can take awhile to produce. I write fairly small and to compensate for that, I add some of my own artwork along with commercial stickers and large colorful stamps. "

And one of these wonderful postcards arrived in my mail box today - not bad service taking only 9 days from one end of the earth to the other!

Another great report to read Seat 2A, enjoyed it thoroughly.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 8:06 am

Interesting article in Chicago Tribune

Regarding cross-country Amtrak travel:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/travel...pagetravel-hed

Interesting to compare the reporter's writing with Seat 2A's...
Old Nov 29, 2005, 2:04 pm

2A

Incredible trip report. I am envious of your adventures.

As I sit in my office, procrastinating yet another big project, your reports offer a little escape from the more mundane life in the whitecollar lower 48.

Hopefully, I can get to the point where I can travel as you do.

You should contact PBS/TRAVEL CHANNEL/DISCOVERY CHANNEL. It would make a very good documentary to capture your adventures on film.

Good luck with your next trip.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 5:26 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Great report as always. However I do have a question, did you ever find yourself on a dusty Winnemucca road?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.