Search

Big DO DOs - or A Kiwi Flyer's Month of Madness

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2005, 3:08 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
DAY 26 UPDATE

For those keeping track, here is a flight map of my itinerary so far. 38104 flown miles, 27 flights, 8 airlines, 10 countries and 1 dependency, 450 miles by bus & unknown amount by taxi, and 1 satay
Old Nov 8, 2005, 3:15 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

A MARATHON FLIGHT SEQUENCE

So far I've been very lucky with the weather. The first rain of the trip was overnight only and thus avoided, and apart from a couple of cool mornings the temperature has been quite warm - generally mid 20s C.

So managed to fit in another nice walk in the morning before leaving early for the airport. I'd been warned of lengthy delays at security before check in so was prepared for the 1 1/2 hours it took to get questioned, bags xrayed and inspected before arriving at check in counter. For some reason (I dont know why), Lufthansa and Austrian check in is on the arrivals level, with the other airlines' check in upstairs.

Get the next few boarding passes issued quickly, as well as an invitation card for the Dan lounge. Upstairs there is another security check and a surprisingly quick passport control. I change the last of my shekels (apart from coins which donate to charity) and then go to the lounge as the airport is fairly small with several duty free shops and some cafes (and mcdonalds myefre).

I was invited into the inner VVIP lounge (no I'm not making that name up), I presume because of my SEN status as it seemed first passengers without status were not invited and I was travelling this leg in business. After 10 seconds I decide to ditch the VVIP for the main Dan lounge. The VVIP lounge has very limited snacks and drinks (eg no soft drinks, no tea/coffee) and not much else other than half a dozen seats. Whereas the main lounge is much bigger (was quite crowded by the time of the flight) and has a better selection of food and drinks, some tvs, newspapers and magazines, and a few computers (free but auto logged off after 30 minutes).

I catch up on some messages and post some more of this trip report. Punki and Hunki are again on the same flight (as far as Frankfurt) so we talk a bit too.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Nov 8, 2005 at 3:39 am
Old Nov 8, 2005, 3:48 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

A MARATHON FLIGHT SEQUENCE continued

The flight is again oversold, but boarding is orderly and we depart on time. Immediately after take-off we bank sharply left and then right - presumably to avoid overflying Tel Aviv.

The meal service (again good) is quicker on this flight so a chance to nap. We chase the setting sun for a while but eventually it is dark. Flying over the Balkans, Austria and Germany we see lights of many towns and cities - must be reasonably clear skies. Towards the end of the flight we see below us the rising moon. Arrive at Frankfurt on time so I have long enough to make worthwhile a visit to the Lufthansa F terminal, which requires clearing immigration. The terminal is not really set up for connecting passengers (Lufthansa prefers these to use the F lounges within the main terminal) and so when I arrive at ground floor instead of the entry one level up I need to get buzzed to get in (no easy way to get up this level outside).

The F terminal is very nice - almost identical to the F lounge. The differences that I could tell/remember (from just the one visit a week and a half ago) are much more space (particularly tonight with only about 15 passengers in the large F terminal), baths as well as showers, wider selection of food and drinks (I counted 9 varieties of extra virgin olive oil alone!).

Have enough time to relax and freshen up before its time to head out to the aircraft. Although there's supposed to be a choice between Mercedes or Porsche for the transfer, tonight there are only mercs available. Who cares though? It feels like I'm a vip (as if!) during the drive out to the aircraft but I successfully resist the temptation to wave out the window. Up the lift and straight on board and upstairs to my F seat. Unlike the flight from Singapore, this time F is only half full so plenty of space to spread out, and also much better service.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Nov 8, 2005 at 4:52 am
Old Nov 8, 2005, 5:03 am

Programs: I've gone dormant. For now.
KiwiFlyer, I have got to say, I love reading this in almost real-time! Its nice to feel like I am not doing school work, but buzzing around the world with you!
Old Nov 8, 2005, 5:10 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

MENU LH F FRA-SIN

HORS D'OUVRE FROM THE APPETIZER CART

Caviar with the traditional garnishes (ed note - much more generous this time)

Deepwater prawns with braised radish

Tuna pastrami with caponata and ponzu zabaglione

Duck galantine roasted, with braised Belgian endive and pepper orange sauce

Ratatouille vegetable confit with Swiss balsamico and tomato marmalade

Swiss "pizokels" pasta with leaf spinach and fried onions

Bread rolls, toast and butter

ENTREES

Goose roasted, with red cabbage, potato dumplings and herbed butter

Turbot with pureed peas and lobster sauce

Simmental veal shank glazed, served on pumpkin and quark cheese gnocchi

CHEESE AND DESSERT

International cheese - bleu d'auvergne, gruyere, morbier, pave sauvage and tete de moine accompanied by fig mustard and grapes

Chocolate royal victoria jungfrau on a crunchy paillette with frozen wild berries

Passion fruit consomme with buttermilk mousse

Coffee, cappuccino, espresso and tea

Specialty dessert wines

HOT BEVERAGES

Jacobs coffee

Espresso

Cappuccino

Eilles tea specialties

Assam special broken

Earl grey premium blatt

Gruntee asia superior blatt

Rooibos vanilla

Yogi tea himmlischer gluckstee

WINE LIST

CHAMPAGNE

Cuvee Rare, Champagne Piper-Heidsieck, France

MONTHLY PROPOSAL

2000 The William Wine, Graham Beck, South Africa

WHITE WINE

2004 Keltic Terre, Pinot Blanc Spatlese trocken, Krug'scher Hot, Germany

2002 California Chardonnay, De Loach, USA

2004 Cuvee Bonvin, Assemblage Blanc, Bonvin, Switzerland

RED WINE

2000 Il Langobardo Rosso, Provincia di Pavia IGT, Cantine di Casteggio, Italy

1999 Chateau Bouscaut, Cru Classe, Pessac-Leognan, France

DESSERT WINE

2004 Silvaner Eiswein, Weingut Guntrum, Nierstein, Germany

SPIRITS

Eaux-de-Vie de Marc de Chateauneuf du Pape, Domaine Duclaux, France

Campari

La Ina Sherry

Lufthansa Cocktail

Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey Old No 7

Johnnie Walker Blue Label

Glenfiddich Single Malt, Special Reserve 12 Years Old

Smirnoff Red Vodka

Bombay Sapphire Distilled London Dry Gin

Cognac Lheraud Cuvee 30

Calvados Coeur de Lion VSOP

Fernet Branca

Tequila

Schladerer Williams Birne

Etter Zuger Kirsch, Jahrgang 1994, 42% Vol

LIQUEUR AND PORT

Baileys Irish Cram

Niepoort Portwein LBV 2000

MINERAL WATER

FRUIT JUICES

Apple juice

Tomato juice

Orange juice

SOFT DRINKS

Coca-cola, coca-cola light, sprite

Kinley tonic water, Kinley bitter lemon, Kinley ginger ale

GERMAN BEERS

Warsteiner Pils

Clausthaler, non-alcoholic

BREAKFAST

Freshly squeezed orange juice

Fresh fruit - papaya, pineapple, orange, kiwi, cantaloupe, grapefruit and blueberries

Chocolate banana musli, yoghurt, cereal and fresh milk

Bread, rolls, toast, croissants and danish pastry, butter, preserves, honey and nutella

Smoked salmon and halibut

Roasted loin of veal

Bresaola ham and chicken

Morbier, camembert and nettle cheese

Scrambled eggs freshly prepared upon your request with your choice of bacon or chives

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Nov 8, 2005 at 5:13 am
Old Nov 8, 2005, 5:27 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

The flight passes fairly quickly. Service is great as is the food. Head to my second home, the Singapore Silver Kris Lounge, where I freshen up, catch up on email and post some more of this report. Briefly catch up with GottaRequalify before we both head out on our onward flights.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 5:30 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Thanks for the encouragement (you know who you are). I'm not sure if I've given enough details - I can easily do more if folk want, although likely to be some delays as my posts are rushed in between flights.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 10:13 am
CGK

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
The terminal is not really set up for connecting passengers (Lufthansa prefers these to use the F lounges within the main terminal) and so when I arrive at ground floor instead of the entry one level up I need to get buzzed to get in (no easy way to get up this level outside).
As always, it's very enjoyable to follow your trip, especially now that I am grounded. And yes, learn something new as well. I always enter the F terminal from the one level up... with metal detector, than the duty free on the left. Since you are on the ground floor, the walk should be shielded from rain or snow...

The F terminal is very nice - almost identical to the F lounge. The differences that I could tell/remember (from just the one visit a week and a half ago) are much more space (particularly tonight with only about 15 passengers in the large F terminal), baths as well as showers, wider selection of food and drinks (I counted 9 varieties of extra virgin olive oil alone!).
I am glad you like the F terminal.

It feels like I'm a vip (as if!) during the drive out to the aircraft but I successfully resist the temptation to wave out the window. Up the lift and straight on board and upstairs to my F seat.
Come on..., you are a vip on LH F no matter what. And great to hear your inflight to SIN is much better. Still the same PJs and amenity kits? I see that Piper-Heidseck is back on LH F.

Can't wait for more stories, and more satays!!! ^
Old Nov 8, 2005, 4:12 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CGK
Still the same PJs and amenity kits? I see that Piper-Heidseck is back on LH F.

Can't wait for more stories, and more satays!!! ^
I dont know if they're still the same - only my 2nd & 3rd flights on LH F. Still just the one satay so far but another in a few hours I expect.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 4:26 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

For the second time in less than 2 weeks I had missed out on seeing the A380. Firstly in Frankfurt where it was there the day after I passed through, and secondly in Singapore where until a few days ago it was scheduled to be after its first long haul test flight when I arrived from Frankfurt. Unfortunately for me, some engines needed replacing and so the flight to Singapore has been rescheduled by 3 days. Hopefully I'll get another chance soon.

Anyway it's now time to head back out to the gate. For some reason flights to New Zealand often are parked right at the end. As usual at Singapore the show as closing/boarding very early. I notice they have changed the label from "final call" to "gate closing". I leave the lounge about 20 minutes before the scheduled departure and along the way am passed by several passengers running to the gate. I let them pass and continue at measured speed, knowing there is still enough time to make the flight - sure enough board with 5 minutes to spare.

There is a short delay as someone failed to make the flight and there bags were unloaded. This also seems to happen on the Singapore to New Zealand flights far more than other SQ flights, at least in my experience. Fortunately unlike previous times when this has led to a delay of an hour or more the bags are found quickly and we pushback only 20 minutes late.

As usual the SQ F service is superb - despite a totally full first class. Pre-departure dom or 2. 2 different types of warm nuts - decline both. Hot towels pre-departure, pre- and post- meals. Nice dinner - with much faster service than LH. Amazingly (for me) I manage to sleep most of the flight and so just get the tail end of breakfast.

We arrive on time in Auckland after strong tail winds en route. The international apron is looking quite empty with just half a dozen Air New Zealand jets of various sizes - the mid morning departures having all left and Singapore Airlines being (today) the first of the asian arrivals. On the remote stand there's also a Polynesian Blue aircraft - the first I've seen, which is not surprising given it only recently started service taking over from Samoa's Polynesian Airlines.

While taxiing a number of other flights land behind us - Korean Air from Seoul (duh!), Air New Zealand from Singapore, Air New Zealand from Hong Kong, Malaysia from Kuala Lumpur. Its a busy time of day and bad news for immigration & agriculture screening wait times if you happen to be on one of the later of these flights.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Nov 8, 2005 at 6:18 pm
Old Nov 8, 2005, 5:32 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

DINNER from Singapore to Auckland

Appetisers
Chilled malossol caviar with melba toast and condiments

Tian of lobster with avocado and lotus root, chilli mango coulis and basil oil

Soup
Broth of chicken with vegetables

Fish maw and Chinese Yunnan ham soup

Salad
Fine field greens, hazelnut oil and mustard dressing, thousand island dressing

Main courses
Seared sirloin with red wine butter and jus, sauteed haricot vert and pont neuf potatoes

Seared tuna in black pepper with broccoflower and rice-shaped pasta

Hot-wok chicken with shimeji mushrooms, seasonal vegetables and fragrant rice

Roasted Jerusalem artichoke with baby carrot, zucchini ribbon, asparagus, roma tomato with grapefruit and pesto

Cheese
Selection of cheese with garnishes

Fresh fruit
A selection of fresh fruit

Dessert
Warm chocolate cake with Haagen Dazs Belgian chocolate ice cream

From the bakery
Oven fresh rolls with a choice of extra virgin olive oil or butter.

Garlic bread.

Hot beverages
Freshly brewed coffee.

Espresso or cappuccino.

Selection of tea.

Pralines
To end on a sweet note

BEFORE TOUCH-DOWN from Singapore to Auckland
(ed note - served about 75 minutes before landing, a much more reasonable time than on some other flights I have taken where it is 3 hours before landing)

Juices
A choice of apple, tomato or freshly squeezed orange

Fruit
Fresh fruit plate

Light starters
Choice of cereals or yoghurt, cornflakes with milk or Birchermuesli, plain or fruit yoghurt

Wholesome beginnings
Teochew fish porridge, rice porridge with sliced white pomfret fillet and condiments

Grilled breakfast veal sausage with herb jus, sauteed mushrooms, tomato and potatoes

Fresh eggs with ham or veal sausage, vine-ripened tomato and sauteed mushrooms, baked soft boiled or scrambled on potato cake

From the bakery
Assorted breakfast rolls

Butter, jam, marmalade or honey

Hot beverages
Freshly brewed coffee

Espresso or cappuccino

Selection of tea

BEVERAGES

Special C0cktails
Orange cooler. A light tangy drink that stimulates the taste buds, created from orange juice and ginger ale with a touch of lime cordial.

C0cktails
Singapore sling. A famous c0cktail since the early 1900s, made from dry gin, DOM Benedictine, Cointreau, cherry brandy, Angostura bitters, Grenadine, lime and pineapple juice.

Silver kris sling. One of Singapore Airlines' special touches, this c0cktail is a delicious mix of gin, Cointreau, orange juice and pineapple juice, topped with champagne.

Gin fizz. A delightful concoction of gin and lemon juice, topped with soda.

Cloud nine. A refreshing tropical mix of rum, Cointreau and pineapple juice, topped with soda.

Screwdriver

Bloody Mary

Daiquiri

Red or white wine cooler

Aperitifs
Campari

Dry Vermouth

Non-alcoholic c0cktail
Citrus Royale

Tropical Sparkle

Golden Spice

Fruit Spritzer

Sunrise Surprise

Spirits
Bombay Sapphire Gin

Cognac XO - Hennessy

Chivas Royal Salute Scotch Whisky

Johnnie Walker Black Label

Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey

Macallan 12 years old Single Malt Whisky

Absolut Vodka

Bacardi Carta Blanca

Liqueurs
Cointreau

Tia Maria

Baileys Original Irish Cream

Beer
International selection

Champagne
Dom Perignon 1998

Krug Grande Cuvee

White wines
2004 Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc

Meursault 2000

Red wines
1997 Chateau Reynella Cabernet Merlot

Chateau Cos D'Estournel 1998 Saint-Estephe

Port
Warre's Twenty Year Old Tawny

Tea selection
Pure Ceylon Tea

Earl Grey

Darjeeling

Japanese Green Tea

Chinese Jasmine Tea

Camomile

Decaffeinated Tea

Mint Tea

Fruit Tea

Gourmet coffees
Brazil Santos Bourbon

Colombian Supremo

Jamaican Blue Mountain

Kenyan AA Kilimanjaro

Specialty coffees
Brewed coffee

Cafe Royal

Espresso

Cappuccino

Cafe Latte

Cafe au Lait

Decaffeinated Coffee

Mocha

Other beverages
Hot chocolate

Ovaltine

Milo

Mineral water
Carbonated mineral water

Non-carbonated mineral water

Fruit juices
Apple

Orange

Pineapple

Tomato

Soft drinks
A range of regular or low-calorie drinks is available

Iced drinks
Iced Fruit Tea

Iced Tea

Iced Mint Tea

Iced Coffee

Iced Mocha

Iced Chocolate

Iced Ovaltine

Iced Milo

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Nov 8, 2005 at 5:34 pm Reason: dang net nanny
Old Nov 8, 2005, 5:36 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

DAY 28 UPDATE

For those keeping track, here is a flight map of my itinerary so far. 51557 flown miles, 30 flights, 8 airlines, 10 countries and 1 dependency, 450 miles by bus & unknown amount by taxi, and 1 satay
Old Nov 8, 2005, 6:28 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

I have another flight in a few hours, so not wanting to spend time clearing immigration twice I head for the transit desk. Auckland airport is currently undergoing renovations to separate incoming and outgoing passengers in the international terminal. While part of it is open and in use (see my earlier posts and also a thread in the Air New Zealand forum), it is not yet complete. So instead of a nice passage for transits you have to wend past construction and then up stairs or lift.

At the transit desk I was surprised to be told only Air New Zealand and certain other airlines, Singapore not being one of them, could be dealt with at the transit desk. Use the phone opposite and told can check in at the gate when it opens in a couple of hours.

So head along the top deck, down stairs and then back up escalator to the lounge (what a cumbersome route ). At first the lounge bouncers were not going to let me in as I had no boarding pass, but when I showed my Air NZ Gold Elite card they relented and I was in.

Enough time to freshen up. Sorry I am being called for flight - to be continued ...
Old Nov 8, 2005, 7:21 pm
CGK

Programs: UA MM
At the transit desk I was surprised to be told only Air New Zealand and certain other airlines, Singapore not being one of them, could be dealt with at the transit desk. Use the phone opposite and told can check in at the gate when it opens in a couple of hours.
Remember what I told you when I transfer at AKL from SQ SIN-AKL to connect to TG AKL-SYD? Yes, the transit desk said that if I took NZ instead of TG, he could issue me the BP. Thus, he told me to wait at the lounge until the TG check-in opens.
Got to the NZ lounge, and had to explain the whole thing before they admitted me to the lounge. And at the end, I received my BP at the gate just before boarding.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 5:27 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

I'd forgotten that. I would have been mightily annoyed if I hadnt been let into the lounge, especially as it is Air NZ operating the transit desk that couldnt check me in. I cant recall any other airport where a major airline cannot check in at the transfer desk (admittedly in some large airports it can be only particular transfer desks).

Anyway, after a shower they redeemed themselves by phoning SQ for me (without my asking) and getting me checked in. I still needed to pick up boarding passes at the gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.