From the Heart of Africa to the Top of the World: SIN-LLW-LYR-YOW-PUS-SIN in C

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

From the Heart of Africa to the Top of the World: SIN-LLW-LYR-YOW-PUS-SIN in C

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2005, 5:00 am

Thumbs up

I'm flabbergasted - what a read ^ . A superb contribution jpatokal.
Old Oct 13, 2005, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Epilogue

And that, as they say, was it. I'd already completed my circle around the world back in BKK, Changi welcomed me home by making me pass through inbound security, and the machine scanning my thumbprint in Changi's Access Card lane still recognized me as me.

A final burst of utterly useless trivia:

Longest flight: SIN-JNB, 5381 miles, 11:20 (pipping JNB-FRA at 5380 by one mile!)
Shortest flight: GMP-PUS, 203 miles, 1:00
Best flight (nighttime): SIN-JNB on SQ, for Spacebeds and doing everything the way it should be done
Best flight (daytime): LHR-YOW on AC, for the best crew on the trip, DVD players and great food too
Best lounge: SQ Silver Kris, ICN (add in the massage girls from TG BKK and I'll move in permanently)
Worst lounge: AC Maple Leaf, YOW (only thing I liked was the wifi)
Best overall airline: SQ (surprise, surprise!)
Worst overall airline: SK (somebody remind me why I'm in their bonus program?)

Most expensive accommodation: Kafunta Lodge, Zambia (US$170)
Cheapest (paid) accommodation: Seoul Backpackers, South Korea (W27,000, c. US$27)
Best value for money: Four Seasons Vancouver, Canada (CDN$130, c. US$110)
Best accommodation: Kafunta Lodge, Zambia

Most expensive meal: Set C at Four Seasons Raw Fish, Busan, South Korea (W50,000, c. US$50)
Cheapest (paid) meal: Phat thai on the street, Bangkok, Thailand (B20, c. US$0.40)
Best value for money: Simo's Pizza, Chipata, Zambia (K14,000, c. US$3)
Best meal: Sadongmyenok, Seoul, South Korea (ranking undoubtedly increased by suffering through Norway and Canada on the way there)

And to you, my dear readers, thank you for sitting through it all. Gluttons for punishment can proceed onto Fly is Cheap: Low-Cost Adventures in Indonesia for more of the same, if somewhat disjointed and in less excruciating detail. Stay tuned for more and, in the meantime, vote early and often to get this thread on TalkMail.
Old Oct 13, 2005, 5:29 pm

Programs: DL PM
Very informative and entertaining report!! Thanks for posting it.
Old Oct 14, 2005, 3:31 am

Programs: SQ G, Hyatt D, Shangri-La G, Hilton G, Marriott G, IC PrCl G
Originally Posted by jpatokal
Best value for money: Four Seasons Vancouver, Canada (CDN$130, c. US$110)
Good deal. Corporate / embassy rate?
Great report! ^

Last edited by LightSpeed; Oct 29, 2005 at 7:50 pm
Old Oct 28, 2005, 10:02 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Thanks so much for an incredibly super trip report!

Mark
Old Oct 30, 2005, 11:24 pm

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
I've read many of the trip reports on this board, but this one takes them all. Thanks for your informative, humorous, and unnecessary-but-fun-knowledge packed report.

Cheers
Old Nov 1, 2005, 2:14 am

Programs: NW, UA, Starwood
Jpatokal, thanks for posting such an incredible and inspiring trip report. I'm envious, not so much over your trip, but your ability to write (and recall) such detail from your experience that it sounds like we're listening to your personal thoughts the moment it occurs. Would you mind giving us some insight on how you manage to get so much writing done on the road? I imagine that each installment must take several hours to compose, so it's hard to figure out exactly where you had time to do this (even with all the flying) and how it didn't wear you out in the end.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 4:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Elite Addiction
Would you mind giving us some insight on how you manage to get so much writing done on the road? I imagine that each installment must take several hours to compose, so it's hard to figure out exactly where you had time to do this (even with all the flying) and how it didn't wear you out in the end.
Easy enough: I carry a laptop and I type fast. If I have over 15 minutes of downtime in a lounge, airplane, train or whatever, I scribble down notes, and if I have a longer stretch of time to kill I convert the notes into text. I've been writing travel diaries of one sort or another ever since I started traveling by myself, so it's pretty much second nature by now and far from a hassle.

The only thing I've noticed is that my excitement level and the number of things to do tends to be inversely correlated to the amount of stuff I type out -- which explains why three days on safari merited a few sentences and a visit to a ski jump in a podunk Norwegian town turned into a couple of pages of blather. But I try to compensate by throwing in anecdotes about alcoholic sportstar-cum-strippers to keep y'all awake
Old Nov 4, 2005, 3:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Really, really well done

It took me three days on and off to finish this report, but it was definitely worth it. As others have said, your blend of humor, insight, detail and off-topic commentary make for a very interesting read. Thanks for sharing with the FT community.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 4:18 am
Original Poster

And a post-postscript of sorts -- comments posted here prompted me to go out and read my first book by Bill Bryson ("Notes from a Small Island", to be precise), and after laughing myself silly I'm humbled to be compared to the Dave Barry of travel writing. Hopefully my trip reports don't go quite as overboard though
Old Sep 12, 2007, 9:24 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Bumping this as some strangely familiar comments on Busan turned up in this months CX inflight magazine...
Old Sep 12, 2007, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mosburger
Bumping this as some strangely familiar comments on Busan turned up in this months CX inflight magazine...
Seriously? I'd be extremely interested in getting a copy of this -- if anybody could scan a copy of or mail the original article in question, I would be most obliged. ^
Old Sep 12, 2007, 5:31 pm
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
Congratulations on your engaging and captivating report. You bring a level of excitement into your narrative that is palpable and refreshing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.