Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Air Koryo (JS) Y class - PEK to FNJ (Pyongyang)

Air Koryo (JS) Y class - PEK to FNJ (Pyongyang)

Old May 12, 2005, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by N227UA
North Korea is the toughest country to visit in the world without a question.

BTW, in my understanding, North Korea widely accepts Americans for visiting. FYI, only 1500 foreigners are permitted to visit North Korea each year. Did you have any personal security issue in North Korea?
Probably second toughest after Turkmenistan - where tourist visas just don't happen.

The figure is about 1200 and US citizens are generally NOT allowed. Up until '95 this was a US government ruling....when that was changed the DRPK implemented the restriction instead. The last time US citizens were allowed in was in 2002 for the Arirang Games.

Personal security issues? No, not at all. One of the most heavily policed and controlled states in the world. Biggest risk would have been a sudden escalation of tension in the peninsula leading to war.
Old May 12, 2005, 2:44 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
There have been scenes bordering on riots at recent international football matches in Pyongyang. Actually, the Japanese team will play DPRK at a neutral venue elsewhere in Asia out of concern of the combination of pan-Korean nationalism and anti-Japanese feeling.
Old May 12, 2005, 5:06 am

Programs: LH FTL, Marriott Plat
Cant wait for the next installment and the pictures!

Great, fascinating report so far! One of my biggest hobbies is globalization so its particularly interesting for me that there still exist societies who never heard of things like Starbucks or Burger King!

Concerning access for foreign tourists: Dont you think that Saudi Arabia is almost as difficult to access for tourists as North Korea? I mean there are countless flights in and out of that country but I think getting a visa is almost impossible when you want to travel alone. And most tour groups also stopped offering Saudi-Arabian tours.

Thanx very much for taking us along,

Thomas

Last edited by tomashi; May 12, 2005 at 5:09 am
Old May 12, 2005, 5:56 am

Programs: SAS Gold, FB Gold, BA Gold, EY Silver
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Thanks for the kind words. The photos should be up tonight (UK time).

PresRDC the detail of the process was handled by the agency. I had to provide a couple of photos, a CV, a letter from my employer stating I was who I said I was and complete an application form. The issuing process takes for ever so the visa was confirmed about 2 days before I left the UK. However it is rare for an application to be rejected.

jacob_m if you have the money and aren't a spy or a journalist it doesn't appear to be a problem.

The agency I used was www.koryogroup.com, run by 2 Brits based in Beijing.

Just one word of caution - US citizens are not allowed to visit. There have been occasional expections but these are rare.
Thanks for the link!
It was fun to have a look at it, especially the "application" and "tour tips" sections.
Sending e-mails is not possible, mobile phones are prohibited, phone calls are monitored, strict rules about photography, not being allowed to leave the hotel without a guide, having to bow in front of the statue of "the great leader"...
What a country!! Must be a wonderful experience..
Old May 12, 2005, 6:01 am

Programs: American AAdvantage Platinum
".......the Il-62 has a certain something about it . There is the air of the 60s plus a certain grace in its lines that modern lumps like the 777 lack."

I agree. The 707's, DC-8's and the VC-10's, as well as the IL-62, had a sleekness that isn't evident in many of today's passenger jets. I loved your description of the 777 as a modern lump....LOL!
Old May 12, 2005, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Probably second toughest after Turkmenistan - where tourist visas just don't happen.

The figure is about 1200 and US citizens are generally NOT allowed. Up until '95 this was a US government ruling....when that was changed the DRPK implemented the restriction instead. The last time US citizens were allowed in was in 2002 for the Arirang Games.
Interesting question.

Actually, Turkmenistan was not always difficult to visit. You used to be able to transit with a visa from another CIS country. While the transit option may have changed, it seems getting a tourist visa is possible as long as you prepay some tours and accomodations. And there is the national airline, Turkmenistan Airlines (T5), that covers quite a few countries and offers some cheap airfares.

I think any country that does not allow independent travelers is tough, with North Korea being at the top of that list. Throw in the near-blanket restriction on US passports, and the limited transport connections with the rest of the world, and the challenge becomes even greater.
Old May 12, 2005, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Very interesting report! Sounds like a fascinating place to visit.

That hotel is so odd! Almost 1100 feet, that is WTC height!
Found this pretty cool picture of it

Last edited by fbgdavidson; May 12, 2005 at 8:58 am
Old May 12, 2005, 8:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold, PC Ambassador, SPG Gold
Swanhunter, great report! I knew you were off there, but had completely forgotten about it. What an experience. Very much looking forward to the photos and extended report. I would like to go myself, but with the escalating nuclear tensions there, I don't think it would be wise. IMHO its only a matter of time before USA, Japan and/or China's patience runs out with playboy Kim and war is declared .

North Korea Raises Nuclear Stakes
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/4536181.stm
Old May 12, 2005, 5:56 pm
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
^ Brilliant, fascinating and informative report. Thanks for your time in writing it and sharing the great pics.
Old May 12, 2005, 6:04 pm

Excellent report so far! Cant wait to read more
Old May 12, 2005, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i hate to be so pedestrian but...

what were the costs like?
Old May 13, 2005, 2:50 am

Programs: TK Elite, LH FTL
Toughtest country in the world to visit?

Originally Posted by N227UA
North Korea is the toughest country to visit in the world without a question.
I have some doubts about this statement. As a matter of fact, any country that accepts tourists on package deals seems to be rather accessible to me. Try visiting a place like Angola if you want real hassle with your visa (unless you are employed in the oil industry). As for personal security, police states tend to be good about that. I for once would be more concerned in Iraq, Afghanistan, Somalia or the DR Congo, where getting a visa is much less of a problem.
Old May 13, 2005, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by graraps
what were the costs like?
The flight cost GBP100, but was included in the tour cost of Euro1590. The tour included the flight in, train out. 7 nights hotel accomodation, all meals, tour guides and all admission fees. Pretty much all we had to pay for on the spot was extra beer (Euro.5), Shocho (Euro4) and snacks/water etc. Not bad value.
Old May 13, 2005, 5:25 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, IHG Plat
Not another Pyonyang and Air Koryo trip report. Sheesh!

Seriously, fascinating so far and look forward to reading more. I was lucky enough to visit Havana in 1995, but a trip to North Korea would really feel like a step back to the 1970s Soviet Union. BTW what was the nightlife like?
Old May 13, 2005, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Just in case you can't find the photo album linked in the first post (as it seems to have been mangled by Imagestation) here is a direct link:
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2126836442
Username: flyertalk
Password: flyertalk

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.