Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Epic commute: I go to school by plane (Aug 2022-May 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Epic commute: I go to school by plane (Aug 2022-May 2023)

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2023, 2:58 am

If I've been keeping track correctly, seems that this was the first time that a delay caused you to miss class in person. And luckily you were still able to complete your presentation!
Old May 5, 2023, 9:45 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
As usual after reading your reports, I am hungry and exhausted. What a year you've had!!! I hope your final months have been free of cancellations and other problems and that you're about to complete your degree!
Old May 5, 2023, 1:10 pm

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
Originally Posted by 985X
What a great picture! Love it. Man, you really pulling through with this project. I draw my hat! I couldn't do it...

Great to see that you indulged in some locale fare when you were in Munich. It's always great to see people visiting my neighborhood.

Good luck with the rest of your term and the commute!
Old May 15, 2023, 8:25 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
What an epic trip report! On the days with delays do you almost wish that your flight is cancelled? I assume you book with a credit card that offers travel insurance. It seems like a midweek cancelled flight could get you a free hotel in the Bay Area and avoid one of the round trips.
Old May 16, 2023, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K
Originally Posted by WarringDanimal
What an epic trip report! On the days with delays do you almost wish that your flight is cancelled? I assume you book with a credit card that offers travel insurance. It seems like a midweek cancelled flight could get you a free hotel in the Bay Area and avoid one of the round trips.
I don't want a free hotel in the bay area. I want to get home. I don't bring extra clothes with me cuz my laptop is heavy enough.
offerendum and rt23456p like this.
Old May 17, 2023, 10:08 am

Programs: SWA A-List, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Very cool thread looking forward to the rest.
Old May 17, 2023, 11:38 am

Programs: 75K, HH Diamond
I remember when you posted up about this being a possibility, can't believe I missed all the action!! Congrats on the most insane school commute ever.
Old May 17, 2023, 3:20 pm

Well, this is insane... In a very good way! Made it through two pages of trip reports, hoping you'd divulge your preferred LAX parking lot, but didn't see it. Or do you just park at the terminal, for quick in/out and not having to deal with shuttle vans?
Old May 17, 2023, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by I_Heart_PSA
Well, this is insane... In a very good way! Made it through two pages of trip reports, hoping you'd divulge your preferred LAX parking lot, but didn't see it. Or do you just park at the terminal, for quick in/out and not having to deal with shuttle vans?
Just eat IN-N-OUT burger every day and you'll find your cheap short term spot.
I_Heart_PSA likes this.
Old May 18, 2023, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA Exp, Hyatt Diamond, IHG RA, Fairmont Plat, SPG Plat
985X Epic commute indeed. I would like to think that I would have done a similar commute back in my university days but I don't think I would have the fortitude to do it for an entire school year. Kudos for pushing the envelope!
Old May 18, 2023, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K
Just a quick update..

Just a quick update, I've been busy lately.. too many errands! I attended the commencement yesterday, and I will try to update my April 2023 and May 2023 commute (including commencement photos) during my graduation trip, if I have time. OMG I haven't even packed yet and I'm leaving in 2hrs! Thanks!
Old May 19, 2023, 8:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Where have I seen this story before?

https://onemileatatime.com/news/coll...flies-classes/

a Reddit user shared his experience living in Los Angeles while commuting to the University of California at Berkeley for all his classes. His logic was that he previously lived in Los Angeles, and was attending a one year program. He knew that after the program was done, he’d move back to Los Angeles, because his previous employer would hire him once again.
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old May 23, 2023, 3:44 am

Originally Posted by lamphs
The photos along with the written detail is amazing. Years ago, I could handle this type of schedule. Now I've gotten to the point that I'd rather fly the evening before rather than getting up at 0 dark 30 and having a full day ahead (and admittedly, I have the luxury to do so).

Curious as to the low parking costs at LAX. Economy parking at DCA and IAD is $15/day with shuttles few and far between.
Actual LAX parking (either airport economy or offsite private garage) can run about that same cost, the difference being shuttles run pretty regularly whether LAX-operated or private garage. The real delay is the traffic loop but that shouldn't be an issue by 2024 when the APM is opened. As for cheap and what the OP is doing, you can park at the Metro Green Line station for $3/day (plus $1.75 rail fare that you should validate after parking) for a max of 3 days. Anything longer and private garage week pass will be the cheapest option.
lamphs likes this.
Old May 23, 2023, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by Westside Flyer
Actual LAX parking (either airport economy or offsite private garage) can run about that same cost, the difference being shuttles run pretty regularly whether LAX-operated or private garage. The real delay is the traffic loop but that shouldn't be an issue by 2024 when the APM is opened. As for cheap and what the OP is doing, you can park at the Metro Green Line station for $3/day (plus $1.75 rail fare that you should validate after parking) for a max of 3 days. Anything longer and private garage week pass will be the cheapest option.
A bit off topic, but the primary reason I don't use the Silver Line to IAD or the Red Line to DCA is the lack of parking options. Three garages in VA and one in MD allow for overnight/multi-day parking in a limited number of spaces. (Although, I see some dusty cars in the couple of garages that I utilize for day trips, so not sure to what extent the transit authority actually enforces no overnight parking.)
Old May 24, 2023, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Westside Flyer

I never tap in after paying the parking fee. They never enforce it. And I've used the same lot for trips greater than 72hrs. I just renew my parking session on my metro parking app. Even when I'm overseas, I can still renew it on the app remotely using VPN. The only concern is the long wait for the shuttle when leaving LAX.
jmw and IAD_flyer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.