Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Epic commute: I go to school by plane (Aug 2022-May 2023)

Epic commute: I go to school by plane (Aug 2022-May 2023)

Old Sep 6, 2022, 2:54 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Kudos to you, @OP! That is quite the commute.

I did a fair bit of intra-CA flying in a previous job posting, and it was always a toss up between quick and efficient OAK w/ SWA service, or slightly longer trip out to SFO to get on AA or AS, earn some RDM's and use an actual lounge.

Keep it up! Best of luck in your studies this fall.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
Wow, this is amazing!
Old Sep 7, 2022, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
That's not practical. The train ride is over 1:30 plus transit time and cost to/from the train stations on both end, which is not insubstantial on the SMF end and while only a couple of miles on the Berkeley end, still requires a slow bus ride or a $$ Uber ride.
The OP already seems to be spending an hour on BART to/from SFO. Substitute a 90 minute heavy rail ride for that. At the SMF end, add a ~20 minute ride on the once hourly 142 bus and a 2000 foot walk between bus stop* and train platform.

Agreed that this isn't practical for regular use, but in case SFO and OAK are fogged in, or there are no seats available, SMF could be an alternate.

* Coming from the airport: J and 4th. Going to the airport: L and 4th.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 1:34 am

Programs: AY Lumo, FB Gold
That's flippin' awesome!

Kudos for providing your August details, here's hoping you'll find the stamina to do it every month until the end. Oh and hopefully you'll manage to keep up this rather exhausting schedule all the way.

Respect.
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2022, 3:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold & HH Silver
This is crazier than the guy a few years ago that posted about doing c100 car rentals in a week!
Old Sep 10, 2022, 6:05 pm

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
This is crazy in a good way. I’m so impressed in your stamina that’s a lot of long days washing rinsing and repeating.

can’t wait for September’s post.

My only other opportunity cost is time, a 15+ hour daily commute and the cost of what a $1600 rental and downtime in Berkeley and what that’s worth to you. You might be spending less but we all know your hourly value is worth more then the “free” 5+ hour commute.
Old Sep 10, 2022, 7:04 pm

Great trips! Those early early morning head to airport are challenging.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 3:47 am

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
All I can say is I hope the OP's name isn't Mary, because I have no idea how that little lamb would follow Mary to school each day, being it against the rules and all.
I'm so out of the loop. Care to explain?
Old Sep 12, 2022, 10:31 am

Programs: UA Gold, 1MM; Mariott Gold; Hilton Gold
Your trip seems like I'm back in grad school taking some operations course -- studying all of the bottlenecks and doing risk planning to minimize delays. Quite impressive exercise you have underway. Wishing you only the best with your school and commute. I quite like your non-lounge food choices as well.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 3:21 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Talk about burning the candle at both ends. Seems like a killer of a schedule but I wish you all the best.
SKT-DK likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 7:12 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I wouldn't be able keep up such a schedule for long. Especially with the sleep deprivation caused by such a grueling schedule. It looks like you're getting 6 hours of sleep at most. Some people can handle that, I definitely can't! (At least not for long)
Old Sep 14, 2022, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This would get Extremely Old for me within a week, two tops. And what will you do when a flight delay causes you to miss an exam? Besides, half of the school experience is the camaraderie with classmates, which you're intentionally skipping out on.

I mean, it's Flyertalk so rah rah for you, but I would categorize this under Poor Life Decisions That Sound Fun For a Short Time.

--Dad
jakeller, SKT-DK and mpkz like this.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by GoBob
Outstanding. Two questions:

1. How do you keep the parking cost so low?
2. Assuming you already looked or the cost exceeded your use, but does BART have a commuter pass? I see you mentioned the 50% off rate for September which I assume factors in.

Good luck. I think you're the envy of many of us here.
I was thinking same thing on parking cost. Would like to know where at LAX you can park that cheap!
Old Sep 15, 2022, 7:14 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Besides, half of the school experience is the camaraderie with classmates, which you're intentionally skipping out on.
Meh. I had one grad school experience that was somewhat communal, and another where we had almost nothing to do with each other (or the school). As an adult, grad school was a professional decision, not about making friends or finding "camaraderie". Is it nice to have? Maybe. Is it necessary? No.
GoBob likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Besides, half of the school experience is the camaraderie with classmates, which you're intentionally skipping out on.
Not just camaraderie...what about group projects outside of class time?!
Echika likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.