Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

AT IAD-CMN-LIS Business June 2022

Old Jul 23, 2022, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP

Bought a one way fare from IAD to LIS on an OTA as it was by far the most reasonable cost and sane connection to get to Lisbon on that day.

We started our journey at DFW where we had a positioning DFW IAD flight with UA on UA Express operated by Mesa on an E-175. United has kiosks at DFW so the check in was quick and we were on the way to the United lounge (via the Clear lane that was actually somewhat helpful on this occasion unlike most of the time when we see Clear available). This was afforded thanks to my TK G* card. The lounge was perfectly fine, we arrived in time for breakfast change to lunch. The food options were fairly uninspiring, but that was expected. I would rate Admirals better than United Club in this respect. However, United has prosecco in their clubs which AA doesn't (for free anyway).

Boarding was odd, but as an infrequent UA flyer I guess it was by the book. Seemingly everyone had access to Group 1 and seemingly half the plane was welcomed before First class. Anyway, got on the regional jet and the FA was cheerful yet no pre departure beverages were offered. Nothing to report on the 3 hours flight except the atrocious excuse for a meal that UA offered. It was a tray with a salami and cheese plastic container that looked like it was purchased at Circle K for a dollar. There was also a pack of olives. I think there was a cookie in there but I didnt eat it. Just rather sad compared to a similar length AA and even DL flights in J.

Landed at IAD on time 5 hours before our flight with AT. We knew the check in for AT only opens 3 hours prior to their flight so we printed our AT boarding passes at home so we didnt have to go through security at IAD (where TSA Precheck is useless since AT doesnt participate). I contacted AT prior to the trip to ask about what lounge they use at IAD as its not listed as a lounge location on their website. Sure enough, they offer no lounge at IAD to its Business class passengers. very strange for a OW member, but as it turns out, on brand with AT as we would learn later.

We took the airport train to the BA lounge and were admitted on the basis on our OWE status. The lounge is actually much better than we thought, with the same concept of food ordering and delivery as in LHR. Much closer to LHR BA F lounge (not the Concorde Room but regular Flounge) than BA Galleries. Decent food and drinks selection, we were happy.

After a couple of hours at the BA lounge we decided to check out the TK lounge based on the Priority Pass access. We spent exactly 15 minutes there to grab an average Efes beer and hightail it away from the madness. There were no seats available at all with the exception of 2 stools at the bar that we found. It was heaving with people. Dirty and unkept. Just what one would expect from a Priority pass location I sometimes go to a bar or a restaurant at the airport if a Priority pass lounge is the only option. I felt bad for the actual TK Business and elite passengers having to put up with this experience.

We then took the train again to the A gates where AT departs from. The gate is right next to the Virgin Atlantic lounge where one can access with AMEX Platinum. the lounge was small and full. We did manage to find a table at the cafe area and ordered some food and beers. Beers were fine and the food was terrible. I think I got something described as vegetarian Thai curry and it was rice with water and some barely cooked veggies thrown in. I took a bite and it tasted the same as it looked. At that point it was time to board our flight to CMN.

Since the gate was next to the VS lounge, we walked right up to the podium to exchange our home printed passes to the cardstock ones as seemingly it was required. We used Business lane to board which was empty at that point.

Onboard we were welcomed by a FA who seemed cordial. We did not see him for the rest of the flight and I wish we did because the rest of the FA were... very AT. The seats on this 789 were in a similar configuration to AA seats on the same aircraft, not sure what those are called, they felt a little more comfortable than AA, maybe because they were leather rather than cloth, not sure. Legroom was also slightly better somehow than AA in row 3 (we had the middle seats together). There was a pillow and a plastic pouch with a blanket on the seat. The FAs then walked around the predeparture drinks that included juice or water. No champagne is allowed until we are in the air. FA on my side skipped me (this will become the norm on this flight), so I had to flag down another FA to get me a glass a water. No pleasantries from the FAs were given or eventually, none were expected as the flight progressed. They also distributed amenity kits which had the usual array of stuff, including a facial mist a la TK or QR but lower quality. They also distributed slippers and skipped me again. Had to flag down another FA to get a pair.

Once on the way, the service started. They began with a round of drinks (one white, one red, one champagne of average quality, cant recall the brand), no menus were offered to anyone at any point. No addressing by name. The drinks were served with the nuts. That was the last round of drinks we received without multiple reminders to the FAs and even the purser. Some very unmemorable app was served following by a rather sad looking main. I had fish and my spouse had chicken. Both were edible but below average. Then they offered the cheese which was inedible and tasted like plastic. Then they offered some dessert that I skipped on as I was exhausted at that point from asking to please please please refill my sparkling water and wine and having to remind the FAs 3 times to get a half a glass finally brought to me. The experience on the other aisle appeared to be fairly similar. The dinner was way too long for a quick TATL flight and it was unnecessary because it was highly disorganized. The whole thing was more way more annoying than pleasant.

Got a 3 hours of sleep and skipped the breakfast. Did ask for some green tea and sparkling water which was delivered to my utter surprise. When I asked for a refill on the tea, the eyerolls reappeared along with having to remind and wait. At this point I was glad we were landing. I did use the lavatories twice on the flight, once behind Business and it was a mistake as it was a shared lavatory with Economy and it was purely disgusting two hours into the flight. In the morning I used the Business lavatory upfront and it was cleaner but didnt have any extra amenities except for a flower and some questionable cologne.

Upon arrival we were parked at a remote stand and had to take buses. However, they did have a separate Business bus that took us to the transfer security before others. We had to go through a security check that was rather perfunctory and found their "Zenith Salon" downstairs which is supposed to be their premium lounge for AT Business and Safar Elite passengers. To say it was underwhelming is an understatement. Warm and lacking decent food or drink options, we grabbed an espresso and walked to the gate for our AT Express flight to LIS.

There was another Business bus to the plane which was nice and we boarded our ATR 72. Business class is upfront on these planes on AT so you will disembark last. One great thing is regular carry ons with wheels many people fly with do fit in their overhead compartments. My spouse's Rimowa and my Tumi Continental made it in without effort. There were predeparture water or orange juice options offered in real glasses. The flight was an hour and a half once in the air and the aircraft was quiet for a turboprop. We were offered some lunch with two pieces of sandwich and a small dessert. I think we had a bite and it was exactly as it looked which is not amazing. We asked for champagne or sparkling wine and were told they only had white or red, so two economy looking white wine bottles were brought and it was also as expected. The FA did not seem to be interested in checking in on the Business passengers. The seats were some of the most uncomfortable we experienced on any aircraft and were happy to be landing soon. Upon arrival Business disembarks first which is a good thing because then you get to be the last people on the bus if you can shove the others further in because there is no more separate Business bus and the entire full ATR 72 was packed into one bus. Once you make it on, you get to leave the bus first which is very good to the immigration queues if one has a non EU or non US or Canada passports (US passports can use Egates which worked fine and it was quick). We didnt have checked luggage and I strongly recommend to avoid it there. The airport was akin to a war zone scenery.

My spouse has a pretty low key expectations when it comes to airlines, but even he commented on how this experience with AT is something we should try not to repeat if possible. Hope this was helpful to those looking to fly AT in Business.
ft4lyf likes this.

Last edited by asnovici; Jul 23, 2022 at 11:59 am
Old Jul 23, 2022, 4:27 pm

I'll have to remember to check if the IAD BA lounge takes PP.; it did pre-COVID. Yes, the TK lounge is always busy, but the food is starting to approach pre-COVID quality. The AF lounge is fairly good for PP.

Otherwise an interesting read. Never considered LIS via Africa! Thks for posting.
asnovici likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 7:17 am

Similar very poor experience in Economy

My niece just flew first time ever n Royal Air maroc from casablanca to USA in economy and simply said it was by far the worst long haul experience she has had probably ever.
Everything including the seat, food, lavatories was very substandard. And a very dirty plane.

Originally Posted by asnovici
Bought a one way fare from IAD to LIS on an OTA as it was by far the most reasonable cost and sane connection to get to Lisbon on that day.

We started our journey at DFW where we had a positioning DFW IAD flight with UA on UA Express operated by Mesa on an E-175. United has kiosks at DFW so the check in was quick and we were on the way to the United lounge (via the Clear lane that was actually somewhat helpful on this occasion unlike most of the time when we see Clear available). This was afforded thanks to my TK G* card. The lounge was perfectly fine, we arrived in time for breakfast change to lunch. The food options were fairly uninspiring, but that was expected. I would rate Admirals better than United Club in this respect. However, United has prosecco in their clubs which AA doesn't (for free anyway).

Boarding was odd, but as an infrequent UA flyer I guess it was by the book. Seemingly everyone had access to Group 1 and seemingly half the plane was welcomed before First class. Anyway, got on the regional jet and the FA was cheerful yet no pre departure beverages were offered. Nothing to report on the 3 hours flight except the atrocious excuse for a meal that UA offered. It was a tray with a salami and cheese plastic container that looked like it was purchased at Circle K for a dollar. There was also a pack of olives. I think there was a cookie in there but I didnt eat it. Just rather sad compared to a similar length AA and even DL flights in J.

Landed at IAD on time 5 hours before our flight with AT. We knew the check in for AT only opens 3 hours prior to their flight so we printed our AT boarding passes at home so we didnt have to go through security at IAD (where TSA Precheck is useless since AT doesnt participate). I contacted AT prior to the trip to ask about what lounge they use at IAD as its not listed as a lounge location on their website. Sure enough, they offer no lounge at IAD to its Business class passengers. very strange for a OW member, but as it turns out, on brand with AT as we would learn later.

We took the airport train to the BA lounge and were admitted on the basis on our OWE status. The lounge is actually much better than we thought, with the same concept of food ordering and delivery as in LHR. Much closer to LHR BA F lounge (not the Concorde Room but regular Flounge) than BA Galleries. Decent food and drinks selection, we were happy.

After a couple of hours at the BA lounge we decided to check out the TK lounge based on the Priority Pass access. We spent exactly 15 minutes there to grab an average Efes beer and hightail it away from the madness. There were no seats available at all with the exception of 2 stools at the bar that we found. It was heaving with people. Dirty and unkept. Just what one would expect from a Priority pass location I sometimes go to a bar or a restaurant at the airport if a Priority pass lounge is the only option. I felt bad for the actual TK Business and elite passengers having to put up with this experience.

We then took the train again to the A gates where AT departs from. The gate is right next to the Virgin Atlantic lounge where one can access with AMEX Platinum. the lounge was small and full. We did manage to find a table at the cafe area and ordered some food and beers. Beers were fine and the food was terrible. I think I got something described as vegetarian Thai curry and it was rice with water and some barely cooked veggies thrown in. I took a bite and it tasted the same as it looked. At that point it was time to board our flight to CMN.

Since the gate was next to the VS lounge, we walked right up to the podium to exchange our home printed passes to the cardstock ones as seemingly it was required. We used Business lane to board which was empty at that point.

Onboard we were welcomed by a FA who seemed cordial. We did not see him for the rest of the flight and I wish we did because the rest of the FA were... very AT. The seats on this 789 were in a similar configuration to AA seats on the same aircraft, not sure what those are called, they felt a little more comfortable than AA, maybe because they were leather rather than cloth, not sure. Legroom was also slightly better somehow than AA in row 3 (we had the middle seats together). There was a pillow and a plastic pouch with a blanket on the seat. The FAs then walked around the predeparture drinks that included juice or water. No champagne is allowed until we are in the air. FA on my side skipped me (this will become the norm on this flight), so I had to flag down another FA to get me a glass a water. No pleasantries from the FAs were given or eventually, none were expected as the flight progressed. They also distributed amenity kits which had the usual array of stuff, including a facial mist a la TK or QR but lower quality. They also distributed slippers and skipped me again. Had to flag down another FA to get a pair.

Once on the way, the service started. They began with a round of drinks (one white, one red, one champagne of average quality, cant recall the brand), no menus were offered to anyone at any point. No addressing by name. The drinks were served with the nuts. That was the last round of drinks we received without multiple reminders to the FAs and even the purser. Some very unmemorable app was served following by a rather sad looking main. I had fish and my spouse had chicken. Both were edible but below average. Then they offered the cheese which was inedible and tasted like plastic. Then they offered some dessert that I skipped on as I was exhausted at that point from asking to please please please refill my sparkling water and wine and having to remind the FAs 3 times to get a half a glass finally brought to me. The experience on the other aisle appeared to be fairly similar. The dinner was way too long for a quick TATL flight and it was unnecessary because it was highly disorganized. The whole thing was more way more annoying than pleasant.

Got a 3 hours of sleep and skipped the breakfast. Did ask for some green tea and sparkling water which was delivered to my utter surprise. When I asked for a refill on the tea, the eyerolls reappeared along with having to remind and wait. At this point I was glad we were landing. I did use the lavatories twice on the flight, once behind Business and it was a mistake as it was a shared lavatory with Economy and it was purely disgusting two hours into the flight. In the morning I used the Business lavatory upfront and it was cleaner but didnt have any extra amenities except for a flower and some questionable cologne.

Upon arrival we were parked at a remote stand and had to take buses. However, they did have a separate Business bus that took us to the transfer security before others. We had to go through a security check that was rather perfunctory and found their "Zenith Salon" downstairs which is supposed to be their premium lounge for AT Business and Safar Elite passengers. To say it was underwhelming is an understatement. Warm and lacking decent food or drink options, we grabbed an espresso and walked to the gate for our AT Express flight to LIS.

There was another Business bus to the plane which was nice and we boarded our ATR 72. Business class is upfront on these planes on AT so you will disembark last. One great thing is regular carry ons with wheels many people fly with do fit in their overhead compartments. My spouse's Rimowa and my Tumi Continental made it in without effort. There were predeparture water or orange juice options offered in real glasses. The flight was an hour and a half once in the air and the aircraft was quiet for a turboprop. We were offered some lunch with two pieces of sandwich and a small dessert. I think we had a bite and it was exactly as it looked which is not amazing. We asked for champagne or sparkling wine and were told they only had white or red, so two economy looking white wine bottles were brought and it was also as expected. The FA did not seem to be interested in checking in on the Business passengers. The seats were some of the most uncomfortable we experienced on any aircraft and were happy to be landing soon. Upon arrival Business disembarks first which is a good thing because then you get to be the last people on the bus if you can shove the others further in because there is no more separate Business bus and the entire full ATR 72 was packed into one bus. Once you make it on, you get to leave the bus first which is very good to the immigration queues if one has a non EU or non US or Canada passports (US passports can use Egates which worked fine and it was quick). We didnt have checked luggage and I strongly recommend to avoid it there. The airport was akin to a war zone scenery.

My spouse has a pretty low key expectations when it comes to airlines, but even he commented on how this experience with AT is something we should try not to repeat if possible. Hope this was helpful to those looking to fly AT in Business.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 7:58 am
pjs

I had no idea what airline AT was until I got about halfway down the review. Sounds like you get what you pay for there. Sorry you had a bad experience.
asnovici likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 12:38 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

I guess IAD catering is what it is. Recently I was on Lufthansa A330 to FRA and my food in economy class was absolutely uneatable. I had one bite and didn't touch anything else on the tray.
Note to yourself. If flying from IAD, eat well before the flight
Old Oct 26, 2022, 4:57 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Ha ha. I knew who (iata) AT was because thats the code you have to tell American in order to use the Royal air maroc status match to get into the flagship.

Last edited by TravelerMSY; Oct 26, 2022 at 5:04 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.