Reload this Page >

A trip to an old new world

A trip to an old new world

Old Jun 9, 22, 12:30 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by worldiswide View Post
there is always something new to see, even if you've been there before including museums and restaurants and in our case theatre...
Absolutely agree
Old Jun 11, 22, 5:15 am
Original Poster
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Trafalgar Square

Today, the National Gallery was first on the agenda. But first a look at Trafalgar Square.

Old Jun 12, 22, 5:56 am
Original Poster

National Gallery

But now we went to the National Gallery. The gallery hosted a great Raphael exhibition, but more on that later.
The pretty building.

Welcome

A highly interesting painting historically, I think it shows one of the first PCR tests, perhaps performed on the mother-in-law?

The collection is very comprehensive. From Boticelli, to Rembrandt to Monet, everything is actually there.

Distance and protection against infection were not so totally high now, in England the pandemic is just finished.....
dcmike likes this.
Old Jun 14, 22, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

National Gallery - Raphael Exhibition

As I mentioned earlier, there was a Raphael exhibition. Without gushing, it was one of the greatest exhibitions I have ever seen. Over 100 drawings and paintings from all periods of his rather short career. Here are a few impressions:

Old Jun 20, 22, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by offerendum View Post
As I mentioned earlier, there was a Raphael exhibition. Without gushing, it was one of the greatest exhibitions I have ever seen. Over 100 drawings and paintings from all periods of his rather short career.
It really is a wonderful exhibition. Worth a journey. We've been wanting to go since it was announced and it was the motivation for our current trip to London. Last year we had the Medici Portraits at the Met and this year we have Raphael. The joy of special exhibitions.
offerendum likes this.
Old Jun 23, 22, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Spencer House

Next it was time for a little exoticism. In the old days, practically every noble family had a house in London in addition to their ancestral home. Since the houses could hardly be financed in the long run, they were gradually sold and mostly demolished. One of the few houses that still exists is Spencer House. The house was rented to the Rothschild Trust, which also renovated it. One of the conditions was that it be opened to visitors once a week. So I stood in front of the house to take part in a guided tour.

In the house, photography was only allowed in 2 rooms. Whether the staircase was one of them remains to be seen.

I will limit myself to showing the 2 rooms, of course there was much more to discover. First, the great hall with lots of gold.

View into the garden, until today only leased from the Crown.

The second and somewhat more intimate hall. Nevertheless, there was plenty of gold and marble.

Spencer House is not one of the classic sights that London holidaymakers visit and can only be visited to a limited extent, but despite this, or perhaps because of it, it is well worth a visit.
richarddd likes this.
Old Jun 24, 22, 12:04 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
i can't say i have heard of the place before but your pictures of it look nice.
offerendum likes this.
Old Jun 24, 22, 1:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nequine View Post
i can't say i have heard of the place before but your pictures of it look nice.
Also found it more or less by chance during my research.
Old Jun 25, 22, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Peggy Porschen

Next we visited Peggy Porschen. This is quite a well-known patisserie that had last hosted the tea with the Lanesborough.
The entrance is particularly popular, with people taking photos here all the time. It was not exactly easy to get in. Many of the photographers (Instagram says hello) take their photo and then leave again.

The things look beautiful without question. We took a little bit back to the hotel, it was packed very elaborately.

The quality of the cakes was OK, but nothing outstanding. You don't have to travel to London for this, even a diversion in the city is only worth it to a limited extent.

NYC Flyer likes this.
Old Yesterday, 5:51 am
Original Poster

Amaya

When I'm in London, I try to eat at least in an Indian restaurant. This time I chose Amaya. It belongs to the same group as Veeraswamy, which I visited in 2019. It has a Michelin star and describes itself as "one of London's hottest restaurants".
The restaurant is located in a kind of passage and is not so easy to find. A signpost would not go amiss here.

The interior is relatively dark and has an open kitchen. It was quite crowded.

The meal consists of dishes that are intended for sharing.
Lassi

We started with the seafood platter.

Plain Naan and Truffle Naan.

Paneer Tikka

Seabass

Chana Tart Chat

Vegetarian Biryani

We were really full and the desserts were not super exciting. So we took the bill. Not too little I would say....

The food was good and tasty, if a little expensive. Still, of the starred Indian restaurants in London that I know, it was the least interesting.
Old Yesterday, 6:16 am

As I mentioned earlier, there was a Raphael exhibition. Without gushing, it was one of the greatest exhibitions I have ever seen. Over 100 drawings and paintings from all periods of his rather short career.
The catalog from the exhibition is worthwhile. Well over one hundred high-quality pictures plus text. Raphael Catalogue | National Gallery Shop | National Gallery Shop and elsewhere.

When I'm in London, I try to eat at least in an Indian restaurant. This time I chose Amaya. It belongs to the same group as Veeraswamy, which I visited in 2019. It has a Michelin star and describes itself as "one of London's hottest restaurants".
The food was good and tasty, if a little expensive. Still, of the starred Indian restaurants in London that I know, it was the least interesting.
Which Indian restaurant would you recommend?

Search this Thread