Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Weekend in Johannesburg via American and British Airways "First Class”

Weekend in Johannesburg via American and British Airways "First Class”

Old Mar 15, 2022, 10:16 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BA, QR
Nice trip report so far, thanks SFO777. Like others I like your old way of reporting. I also go to your website sometimes so see some of your old reports and like the way they have been presented.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA Plt, Marriott Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, El Mambero De Mucci, PWP Aide to Generalissimo Godot
It really is unfortunate how quickly AA's International F has fallen behind. I remember being excited when they ordered the 77W and how great the F seats seemed at the time. It's nearly 10 years later though and even B6 has a better TATL premium product than AA.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam
Originally Posted by El_Chiflero
It really is unfortunate how quickly AA's International F has fallen behind. I remember being excited when they ordered the 77W and how great the F seats seemed at the time. It's nearly 10 years later though and even B6 has a better TATL premium product than AA.
100% correct. AA is utter trash. Except for flagship dining, which only .1% can enjoy, this airline is the trash of the trash.

BA gets grief, but they are ahead of AA just because of the superior service on board.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DFW_CK
100% correct. AA is utter trash. Except for flagship dining, which only .1% can enjoy, this airline is the trash of the trash.

BA gets grief, but they are ahead of AA just because of the superior service on board.
So true. On board our three long haul BA flights, BA service was phenomenally good with three of the best cabin crews I’ve experienced in ages. BA’s downfall is its utter rubbish ground service and embarrassing airport. The Concorde Room is a joke with terrible food. They took a year to renovate the lounge but forgot to add power outlets on the terrace. No doubt some bean counter nixed the expense.
kcmd likes this.

Last edited by SFO777; Mar 15, 2022 at 6:28 pm
Old Mar 16, 2022, 4:59 am

Programs: QF P1 LTG SQ PPS IHG Diamond Elite
Hello
Would you have the F wine list for the AA flight?
Thanks
Ian
Old Mar 16, 2022, 5:04 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by SFO777
So true. On board our three long haul BA flights, BA service was phenomenally good with three of the best cabin crews I’ve experienced in ages. BA’s downfall is its utter rubbish ground service and embarrassing airport. The Concorde Room is a joke with terrible food. They took a year to renovate the lounge but forgot to add power outlets on the terrace. No doubt some bean counter nixed the expense.
Sure they were letting people borrow extension leads, perhaps pre-Covid, due to the lack of power points.
Still little better in any of their lounges.

Last time i was in Flagship Dining at JFK, there were zero power points anywhere near me. Had to go into the normal Flagship lounge to plug something in (or to carry a power bank).

I've personally found AA crews to be slightly better than BA. It's a case of having zero expectations in any travel class, and unless you're on some BA flights where they're digging down to new levels, you're never really disappointed.

Is there a photo of a dessert menu at JFK?

Last edited by xenole; Mar 16, 2022 at 5:20 am
Old Mar 16, 2022, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ianassum
Hello Would you have the F wine list for the AA flight? Thanks
Ian
Come to think of it, I'm not even sure that there was a wine list. The menu was at our seats when we boarded. No separate wine list and there were no wines listed in the menu. It wouldn't surprise me if they just didn't bother. Why would you want to publicize a list of $15 swiil?

Originally Posted by xenole
Last time i was in Flagship Dining at JFK, there were zero power points anywhere near me. Had to go into the normal Flagship lounge to plug something in (or to carry a power bank).

Is there a photo of a dessert menu at JFK?
In the JFK FFD, while there are no power outlets at tables, there are multiple power outlets in all the booths. Not conveniently located mind you as one has to nearly crawl under the booth table to access them.

Sorry, looks like I forgot to take a pic of the dessert menu.
CappuccinoAddict likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA Plt, Marriott Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, El Mambero De Mucci, PWP Aide to Generalissimo Godot
Originally Posted by SFO777

The unfortunate part is that I'm in PHX, so stuck with AA there and I mostly fly to LAX, NYC, MIA, and Latin America. AA has me by the balls and it's not like B6 flies Mint to SDQ either.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Sorry for the delay with the TR.

Having trouble with Apple Photos on my nearly 5 year old MacBookPro. Just picked up a new MacBookPro which should solve a lot of my recent issues. In the interim, instagram chapters...

Heading into London on Heathrow Express

The sweetest and most patient Heathrow Express agent calmly explains to DFW_CK that he screwed up

Exploring London including Hyde Park

Fabulous lunch at Michelin star Trishna in Marlyebone Village

British Airways T5 First Class Check-in and the Concorde Room

Pathetic Concorde Room Dining offerings

Our review of British cuisine in the overrated Concorde Room

BA redeems itself.... Our excellent A380 First Class flight to Johannesburg

JNB arrival, passport control and exit

Four Seasons The Westcliff Johannesburg

Sunday Brunch with a view and entertainment at Flames at the Four Seasons

Dinner at amazing Marble Restaurant

Last edited by SFO777; Mar 19, 2022 at 12:50 pm
Old Mar 19, 2022, 1:47 pm

SA is stunning and on my bucket list. The Four Seasons looks fabulous. I like seeing your videos on IG.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 3:15 pm

Sorry I haven’t posted in a long time

Good to see you finally experience British Airways first class on the A380 after the great BA debacle of 2013 (where you were threatened with arrest at LAX and they did nothing about it)

With you on Instagram now are you no longer going to be posting trip reports to FlyerTalk or the website
Old Mar 21, 2022, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by AtlFlyer123
Good to see you finally experience British Airways first class on the A380 after the great BA debacle of 2013 (where you were threatened with arrest at LAX and they did nothing about it)
What the heck happened?
Old Mar 21, 2022, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CosmosHuman
SA is stunning and on my bucket list. The Four Seasons looks fabulous. I like seeing your videos on IG.
Thanks very much CosmosHuman.

Originally Posted by AtlFlyer123
Sorry I haven’t posted in a long time
With you on Instagram now are you no longer going to be posting trip reports to FlyerTalk or the website
Thank you AltFlyer123. Funny to laugh at now, but not then.

Originally Posted by CurbedEnthusiasm
What the heck happened?
From 8+ years ago...
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21910177-post49.html
Old Mar 22, 2022, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Very interesting to read your BA/AA comparisons! I confess we have minimal F experience (just one r/t on BA) but we do have substantial flown mileage with both airlines in J, and Domestic ‘First’ on AA. I have to say, in AA’s defence, that their FAs have been fine from our humble expectation POV, albeit ‘different’ to BA’s CC. Food-wise on board, I’ll certainly give AA the aadvantage! Lounges for poor OWEs flying J … BA wins.

Thanks for your efforts in posting. 👍
kcmd likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by T8191
Very interesting to read your BA/AA comparisons! I confess we have minimal F experience (just one r/t on BA) but we do have substantial flown mileage with both airlines in J, and Domestic ‘First’ on AA. I have to say, in AA’s defence, that their FAs have been fine from our humble expectation POV, albeit ‘different’ to BA’s CC. Food-wise on board, I’ll certainly give AA the aadvantage! Lounges for poor OWEs flying J … BA wins.
Thanks for your efforts in posting. 👍
Thanks very much T8191 for your kind comments.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.