Wiki Posts
Search

My First Trip Report - Boys trip to London

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2022, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Concierge Key, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam
Originally Posted by xooz
We've had many excellent meals at Dishoom there. Also had a few good times around the corner at Andina when the Dishoom wait was too long. I see Andina has moved now, more to the heart of Spitalfields.
For the "chain" they are, Dishoom is so consistent. I got their cookbook this time and will try to cook their version of the black daal

Originally Posted by nequine
I'd have thought it would have been easy enough to get a ticket to see Palace most weekends, must have been the fact they were playing Chelsea that meant getting a ticket was difficult.
I suspect so too. Tickets to the Arsenal game at the Emirates (against Brentford) would have been cheaper but I really wanted to see and experience Selhurst park.

Originally Posted by Guvner067
Did well to obtain tickets at all given the two London teams.
IMHO, Championship games are a better proposition. Easier access to tickets, better atmosphere (less corporates and "tourists", more heart and soul supporters) and can still get 20k - 25k crowds. I went to Old Trafford a few years back and every second person still had the tag on their crisp new Man U shirt.
Having said that I would have taken a ticket to Crystal Place in a heartbeat.
Good get DFW_CK !
I really want to go see Millwall play but deep down a little scared I won't come out alive or do something wrong to get myself hurt - LOL.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 8:31 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, UA Premier Platinum, OneWorld Emerald, VA Platinum
Originally Posted by DFW_CK

I really want to go see Millwall play but deep down a little scared I won't come out alive or do something wrong to get myself hurt - LOL.
Their next home game is Sheffield United, so your fears are founded!
DFW_CK and Silver Fox like this.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
For the "chain" they are, Dishoom is so consistent. I got their cookbook this time and will try to cook their version of the black daal
Every time I order that and eat it I boringly say "if I am ever forced to become a vegetarian and could only ever have one dish then this is the one". I was out last night for a Nepalese curry and my mate ordered a "daal". Pah. I bored him with my house black daal at Dishoom. The good news is he wants to go there so I now have another excuse to go there.

As for the cook book, 3 of the people I have taken there have all bought it.
DFW_CK likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 3:58 am

Just incredible wonderful trip report... Pics are excellent
DFW_CK likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 5:18 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.

Love this view.
Great photo, and thank you for sharing the trip report. Always nice to see people enjoying my current home town.
DFW_CK and SFO777 like this.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, UC, Lifetime HH Diamond, Avis President’s Club
Wonderful trip report DFW_CK I am doing a 3 dayer in March and your report has gotten me excited. I’ve stayed at the St James on several occasions- thoughts post pandemic?
Old Feb 25, 2022, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by glasman19
Wonderful trip report DFW_CK I am doing a 3 dayer in March and your report has gotten me excited. I’ve stayed at the St James on several occasions- thoughts post pandemic?
All restrictions are gone in England as of yesterday if that helps.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by glasman19
I find the location to be great because it is in a quiet street but yet close to everything; enjoyed my walks through St. James Park to get to places. As for the hotel itself, it was fine. Nothing special and super commoditized feeling all around. I guess I didn't like it that much - LOL.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
Great report, DFW_CK! I've too come to grips with my love/hate relationship with American of late They can be really good or just downright awful, but it's actually been quite good of late.
DFW_CK likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Great TR - thanks so much!!
Old Mar 3, 2022, 4:56 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, Hyatt Prive, Hilton Impressario, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Roswood Elite, MO Fan Club
I’m an Indian living in London and often find myself in Dishoom, often dragged there by my friends.

the food… is ok. There is far better Indian food elsewhere in London. I think they also create a fake buzz/hype with all the queuing to get in instead of using a reservation system.

the black daal is indeed good. The secret is to slow cook it for hours. The best black daal is apparently served at the Bukhara restaurant in Delhi.

Agreed on the coffee… Kaffeine is my top 5 coffee places in London
DFW_CK likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kosy91
I’m an Indian living in London and often find myself in Dishoom, often dragged there by my friends.

the food… is ok. There is far better Indian food elsewhere in London. I think they also create a fake buzz/hype with all the queuing to get in instead of using a reservation system.

the black daal is indeed good. The secret is to slow cook it for hours. The best black daal is apparently served at the Bukhara restaurant in Delhi.

Agreed on the coffee… Kaffeine is my top 5 coffee places in London
I am trying Trishna next weekend! Food looks legit.
SFO777 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 5:01 am

Programs: AF Plat, DL Gold
Awesome TR! You’re inspiring me to try and do the same!

———
Insta: @thedarkknightdds
Old Mar 5, 2022, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by batmandds
Awesome TR! You’re inspiring me to try and do the same!

———
Insta: @thedarkknightdds
The secret is to tag along with SFO777 and he covers the trip reporting.
SFO777, catmndu, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 12:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
The secret is to tag along with SFO777 and he covers the trip reporting.
SFO777 has been detrimental to my wallet! We have a massive trip coming up in may that's inspired by some of his reported travels
DFW_CK and catmndu like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.