Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ws j -> y4 y -> food -> lh f

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2022, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Ws j -> y4 y -> food -> lh f

Here's a trip on various airlines in various classes. Possibly the beginning of another RTW in the eastbound direction ;-)

Starting out, this time I missed the airport bus by moments as the bus was 8 minutes early. Unamused, I hopped in an Uber to the airport for the first time in ages. Again, I arrived at the YYC international terminal wing which was packed with holidaymakers. Thankfully, I'd been able to use the OLCI facility to verify my vaccination record so I didn't need to see any agent - kiosk to print bag tag, drop it, and away we go. Interestingly, WestJet's document check tool wouldn't recognize my EU Digital Covid Certificate but thankfully I've had it converted to an Alberta record as well, which worked no problem.

After bag drop, fairly easy security check, and a lengthy walk back down the terminal I had about 45 minutes to spend in the WestJet Elevation Lounge for some breakfast. I took a few photos of the bar but bar service doesn't start until 11.

I had the eggs benedict and a cappuccino. In my opinion, the food is better in here than the Maple Leaf Lounge down the hall, but the coffees are better at the MLL (they are made by a person there, not a fully automatic espresso machine).

After my breakfast and a call to my mother, I hopped on the YYC meep-meep shuttle back to the D concourse.

WS1510 YYC-CUN
Aircraft: Boeing 787-9
Seat: 1A
Flight time: 4:43

I arrived at the gate just as they were calling priority boarding, so after zero wait I was the first person in J to board. I snapped a few pics of the empty cabin. It's a small cabin, only 4 rows, and I love the color scheme and small decorative touches.

The only other time I've flown WS business class was on the inaugural flight in February 2019, also in seat 1A.

I wasn't sure which menu to expect given that WS ends breakfast service for flights departing after 9:30 and this flight was scheduled to depart at 9:25.

Clearly, so was the cabin attendant as he initially handed out the lunch menus. Then, after serving me a PDB of sparkling wine, he came back and replaced it with the breakfast menu. Definitely more suitable for this hour.

We popped out of the overcast skies very shortly after take off.

Had another glass of sparkling wine before breakfast was delivered on a single tray.

The red wines on offer weren't the same as on the menu, apparently due to a supplier issue, so the cabin manager presented me with both of the available options. I chose the California red.

After a few sips of wine, my travel partner was offered a tour of the plane and was put to work prepping food and beverage.

Tired after all that, the aft crew rest area provided a good place for a penguin nap!

Here's some of our smiling cabin crew.

About an hour before landing, a snack box was presented. Same as in premium economy.

After a very pleasant flight, the real fun begins. We pulled into a gate near the south end of Cancun's terminal 4, and from what I could see, we were the fourth or fifth widebody to arrive in recent hours. Walking down the corridor to the immigration hall, I was presented with a line that was already starting to back people up the escalator. A staff member was rushing over to turn the thing off so people weren't literally piling up at the bottom.

From landing, it wasn't until 75 minutes had passed that I was through immigration. And although I waited around a couple of minutes to take some cockpit photos, I was still one of the first 40 people off the plane. Crazy. Only half of the booths were staffed. People were starting to get testy towards the end of my stay in the waiting pens and the line was still enormous.

I thought to myself, well, at least after this colossal wait, the bags should be grab and go. Nope. They were just starting be delivered when I arrived at the belt. It took another 30 minutes of waiting to get my "priority" bag. Worst arrivals experience I've had in many years. At this point, I've resigned myself to missing my next flight which is on a separate ticket. I easily exited the terminal and waited for the inter-terminal shuttle bus, watching a woman who I'd seen huffing around the luggage belt, get scammed for a taxi by one of the hawkers - they were going to be late for bag drop for their Aeromexico flight and the hawker informed her that there was a 20 minute wait for a shuttle when the taxi can go right away. In reality, the shuttle is at 20 minute intervals but the LED sign on the side she couldn't see would have informed her that the shuttle was moments away.

Unfortunately, again, I didn't really think I'd do a trip report for the rest of the trip so I didn't take too many photos. I made it easily over to Terminal 2 on the bus, and the checked bag screwed me for my onward flight. I didn't arrive at the counter until exactly at the scheduled departure time, but as is the norm in Mexico later in the day, the flight was delayed and they'd just started boarding. If I'd been hand baggage only, I could have made it, but they couldn't accept my checked bag. So I had to pay a 1500 MXN change fee, which was more than the cost of my original ticket and more than buying a walk up fare. Why did I pay the change fee you might ask? Well, they could move me on to the next flight, less than an hour away and thus no longer available for sale, whereas if I'd just discarded the ticket and bought a new one I'd have to wait another 2.5 hours in there. No thanks.

I headed to "The Lounge" for a very small cheese quesadilla and a few Coronas whilst waiting for the flight, which of course was delayed by an hour by the time all was said and done. I appreciated a comfortable place to sit after standing in that awful arrivals hall in T4 for so long.

Y4865
Aircraft: Airbus A320neo
Seat: 2F
Flight time: 2:02

It was pouring rain out by the time we boarded, but I always like being out on the tarmac next to these machines. I'm not even sure if I'd been on an A320neo before, but certainly not boarding at a remote stand. Loved the large engines on a narrowbody.

I'd originally booked seat 1F, a window "premium" seat on Volaris, but that one was taken at the time of check in on the new flight. Only middle seats were available in the first row (which has a ton more legroom) so I opted for seat 2F, which ended up being a whole row to myself.

Famished after the meagre lounge snack I consumed, I was looking forward to at least a club sandwich off the buy onboard menu which was mostly junk food. Sadly, there were no more available so I opted for a bag of Chip's chips and a beer. No wifi on this flight so I caught up on some podcast material.

After a painless arrival in MEX where my bag was first off the belt in dumpy, aging Terminal 1, I hopped in an Uber to the Hilton Mexico City Reforma. As a gold member I got a complimentary upgrade to an upper floor with a nice view; and 3 PM check out.

Still famished, but tired, I didn't want to head out anywhere nor did I want to eat solo in the fancy steakhouse attached to the hotel. So I pulled up to the lobby bar, asked about food options and he very graciously offered to get me some street tacos from a place around the corner. They definitely hit the spot with a couple of cold beers from the tap. I left a reasonably generous tip for that.

Sealink, lamphs, Vaclav and 3 others like this.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

In the morning, I woke up bright (well, twilight) and early, and headed downstairs to the restaurant for breakfast. Again, not thinking that I would do a TR I didn't take any pics but I had an omelette from the custom order station, and some chips and salsa. They were all totally acceptable.

I love doing bike rides in different cities, and this time was no different. I did not feel like I had enough time to get any value of exploring on my own so I booked a tour with Bikes and Munchies which seems to be a relatively new operation in Mexico City. The meeting spot was at colorful Bazar Fusion in the Juarez neighborhood, less than a half hour walk from the Hilton.

The orientation of this tour was to try different foods. We started at a local market where we enjoyed some fresh juices and checked out all of the produce and spices on offer.

Then we walked down the street a couple of blocks to a quesadilla stand. Operated by 3 generations of ladies, the stand had a constant flow of customers and did not disappoint. I learned from our tour guide, Andrea, that in these mom and pop shops, women make the best quesadillas and men make the best tacos. Something new every day!

Back on the bikes, we arrived at Parque Mexico to wander around a bit. There was a wannabe influencer narrating a video.

After a walk around the park we crossed the street to El Moro Churreira for some delicious churros - one of my all time favorite desserts.

Next stop was at Bazar del Oro for some tacos.

They were very tasty.

Back on the bikes, we cruised around Bosque de Chapultepec, a huge urban forest park in the heart of Mexico City.

On Sunday mornings in Mexico City, some of the main streets including the grand boulevard Reforma are closed to vehicles. It was a very cool experience to ride a cruiser bike unimpeded down what would normally be one of the busiest roads you could find anywhere!

After our most enjoyable cruise we went back to Bazar Fusion to return the bikes and have a post ride snack and drinks.

Have not eaten grasshoppers before - they went so well with a beer!

After arriving back at the Hilton already after 3, I didn't want to push my luck by staying any longer - I did want a shower after our day out, but I figured I could just go early to the airport and use one of the lounges for a shower. So I walked down to the historical center taking in the sights and sounds of a typically lively Mexico City Sunday afternoon.

lamphs, Vaclav, PinaColada and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Alright, back at the airport at 6 PM. After a seamless check in, I wanted to take that shower. So I first walked over to the AMEX lounge which is groundside. Was presented with a sign stating closed at 5 PM until further notice due to Covid. OK....

Off through security to use the Lufthansa contracted lounge, Grand Lounge Elite. It's not a big lounge, and I heard them informing the group in front of me that only bar seating was available at this time. Great. This doesn't bode well. But, I flashed my F boarding pass and was quickly whisked into a cordoned off area in the back of the lounge where I had all 4 seats to myself for the entire stay. I saw 2 of the other F pax come in a bit later and I'm not sure why they didn't get the little room, as they were a couple, but they got seats just around the corner from me.

You get a dedicated waiter in this lounge and he was really hustling. I had a few beverages and a plate of chilaquiles from the a-la-carte menu.

I know it's a travesty to eat in the lounge in a city with the culinary capability of CDMX but I only came early to take that damn shower! Which, to my chagrin, was not going to happen as my server gave me a baleful look informing me that the showers were out of service. Oh well.

LH499
Aircraft: Boeing 747-8i
Seat: 1A
Flight time: 9:32

There's no car service at MEX, but they'll drive you on a golf cart from the lounge as an F pax. It was actually kind of cool, the driver was going pretty fast with lots of honking and telling people to get out of the way.

Here we are back at home in the nose of the 747. One of my favorite spots to be. Rimowa amenity kits were back unlike my last few LH F flights.

Our departure was delayed by almost an hour due to a passenger not meeting the entry requirements of their destination and thus needed their baggage offloaded. Enjoyed several glasses of champagne during the wait.

I didn't take any caviar pics, since it's the same as it always was. The passenger in 1K ordered an additional serving of caviar. Here's the rest of the appetizers. The garlic toast was awesome, I think I had 5 pieces of it.

After several glasses of champagne I switched over to a french red with the beef. It was very good, but sadly I had the last of it. When the flight attendant went to get more, she apologized profusely that there was no more. I said it was no problem, but she said, yes, it is a problem, you wanted it and they didn't load a second bottle.

The Italian red was a completely acceptable substitute but I did like the French better.

After a full day of eating in CDMX I just had a bowl of ice cream for dessert then hit the sack. Didn't even have any port or what was likely a delicious dessert wine.

I had about 4 hours of sleep but woke up during some turbulence over the North Atlantic. I had a couple of cappuccinos and played on my phone in the dark whilst the other 3 F pax slept. The guy in 1K woke up at one point, made a huge racket, and pissed all over the lav on his trip to relieve himself. Once they started the service, I opened up my windows and had a really nice breakfast.

Upon landing, myself and the couple from Munich who were also in First Class took a couple of photos of the gorgeous retro livery D-ABYT we'd just arrived on. What a great flight. Although I slept for about half of it, it was super enjoyable. I can't remember how many times I was asked "What else can I do for you, sir?" "Would you like something else to drink or eat?"

Since the FCL closes at 2 PM, I exited the terminal straightaway and walked over to the FCT. Ah, my shower awaits! They only had the black ducks available, so I didn't take one. They also won't have the Olympic ducks this year, boohoo.

I've got several hours in here so no need to rush.

I attended a webinar in a comfortable seat with a glass of bubbles. There were a couple of guys in there during my stay that I think were bloggers. One of them walked around, twice, narrating a video he was recording on his camera. Not sure who it was.

I switched over to the Rose champagne with my meal, all of which of course, was very good.

Some port with dessert and then it was soon time to go. Again, the service in the FCT was second to none. So attentive and friendly.

It seems like a waste of a brand new Porsche Panamera Turbo S e-hybrid to drive someone where the speed limit is (20? 25?) but I'll take it!

As is customary on sedan transfers in FRA to short haul flights, I was offered to jump the line as we arrived near the end of boarding, but I declined. I don't really need people to think I'm a DYKWIA.

After a short hop (wasn't thinking TR - no photos - but the LH ladies were really hustling to get the C pax food and drinks literally within moments of the seatbelt sign going off) we're back in Prague.

Another typical ending to my journey, and the best meal of the whole thing :-)

dcmike, lamphs, Carfield and 10 others like this.

Last edited by YYCCL3; Feb 9, 2022 at 6:47 am
Old Feb 8, 2022, 7:12 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
That was a fun read, thanks so much!
YYCCL3 and jamiel like this.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Great report. Kudos to you and love your YYC-FRA routing, via CUN and MEX. WS looks like a solid J product.
YYCCL3 and cirrusdragoon like this.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Great report! I've stayed a few times at the Hilton Reforma. Great place.

Flight attendants cooking fresh eggs on board? Could you imagine AA f/a doing that?? LOL
YYCCL3 and SFO777 like this.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 7:44 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Airmiles AMEX-MR Alaska Airlines
Great report! Also, now I’m hankering for tacos 🌮 😂.

how did you get the EU certificate? I can’t get it online and have to get it from a pharmacy in Paris when I go in May.
YYCCL3 likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 6:52 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Thanks for a great TR from you and loved seeing the penguin again and the fun he had while flying too!
YYCCL3 likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by injian
Great report! Also, now I’m hankering for tacos 🌮 😂.

how did you get the EU certificate? I can’t get it online and have to get it from a pharmacy in Paris when I go in May.
The tacos were very, very good

I got all 3 of my jabs in the EU - and it's much easier for me to "convert" the EU certificate to a Canadian record rather than the reverse. I can't comment on the current situation for foreigners converting other certificates to an EU DCC in other countries, sorry...
Old Feb 10, 2022, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFO777
Great report. Kudos to you and love your YYC-FRA routing, via CUN and MEX. WS looks like a solid J product.
I don't know why I can't "like" your post, but thanks !
Old Feb 10, 2022, 8:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Very enjoyable TR!
YYCCL3 likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 10:14 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Wow, never knew that any airline cooked eggs in a skillet aboard. My freshly cooked sunny side up eggs, aboard Turkish Airlines was cooked from scratch but in the oven.
YYCCL3 likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Great TR and photos. What a shame about CUN immigration chaos and your missed flight. Blech.
glad you finally got the shower!
YYCCL3 likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 3:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, 6C AMB, HH Silver
I do love that cart ride through the Mexico airport!!! Felt like an ambulance getting through traffic at rush hour.
YYCCL3 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.