FlyerBeek Is All Alone In ANA F JFK-HND

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2022, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al

Introduction

Given my recent ANA/JAL trip reports, I figured I’d make this an abbreviated and more photo-centric trip report of my recent return to Japan on ANA. My more detailed recent comparison of ANA and JAL F can be found here: FlyerBeek’s Japanese First Class Sampling: flying ANA and JAL F in COVID Times.

Once again, I was returning back to Japan following a few days of required work and meetings in the U.S. I originally has a return booked on American Airlines, but decided to take advantage of the currently excellent ANA first class award availability and rebooked an already ticketed Virgin Atlantic award I had for later in the year.

Unsurprisingly, ANA did not disappoint and once again I was the only one in F which is always an extra treat. Flight Attendants Nakano and Fukumura did an amazing job pampering me with exquisite food and drink on the 14 hour journey back to Tokyo. So once again, sit back, relax, and enjoy some of the best first class service that’s currently available (in my opinion, at least).
Yoshi212, Carfield, 13901 and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
All Nippon 109
New York JFK to Tokyo Haneda
Boeing 777-300ER
January 10, 2022
2:10P-6:25P+1 (sked)
1:59P-6:11P+1 (actual)
Flight Time: 13hr44min
First Class
Seat 1A

Today’s flight load was quite light – even by recent COVID-era metrics – with just me in F, 1 passenger in J, and 11 passengers in Y. I arrived at JFK’s Terminal 7 about 2.5 hours before departure. There was no wait to check-in and I was presented with a lounge invite to the British Airways Club Lounge in JFK, after being told the BA First Lounge was closed today. With plenty of time to spare, I got some extra steps in by heading over the American Express Centurion Lounge in Terminal 4 for an hour. A couple of Boulevardiers later, I made my way back over the Terminal 7 and the BA Club Lounge for a quick shower just before boarding was announced 30 minutes before scheduled departure.

I ended up being the last to board, with still about 20 minutes before scheduled departure time. As anticipated based on the available inventory I saw on ExpertFlyer, I had the whole first class cabin to myself. This would be my second time flying ANA’s new first class Suite product following a Narita-Chicago flight I flew last summer. The refined ambiance of the cabin still continues to impress, as does the massive 43-inch 4K monitor.

Purser Fukumura and Flight Attendant Nakano provided a warm welcome and offered a pre-departure beverage. I requested a glass of Champagne, and received a nice flute of Krug while I reviewed this afternoon’s extensive menus.

We pushed 11 minutes ahead of schedule and quickly taxied out to JFK’s RWY 31L – one of the longest commercial airport runways in the U.S. behind DEN’s 16R/34L. Following the customary left turnout, we were soon climbing out over Long Island and Connecticut as we began our long journey northwest bound towards Japan. Being the only passenger in F, I asked if I could have the western menu for lunch and then the full Japanese menu for my pre-arrival meal, and Nakano was happy to oblige.

Lunch began with an amuse and another glass of Champagne. This time I opted for the limited edition 2012 Bollinger La Grande Année James Bond 007 Champagne – which was excellent. What follows was another perfectly presented and paced 3 hour long 7-course lunch (plus an amuse and petits fours)…

My typical goal when flying west to Asia is to stay awake for the first 6 hours of the flight, followed by a few hours nap, and then remain awake for the final 3-4 hours so that I can arrive sufficiently tired to fall asleep. Today I made it about as far as Barrow, Alaska when I asked for a glass of the absolutely magical Hibiki 21 (served from a full-sized bottle) and a snack of natto and some of the deep fried fish cakes before drifting asleep in my neighboring suite that had already been made up for a nap.

I woke up about 4 hours later as we were tracking down Russia’s remote Sakhalin Island with about 3 hours remaining to Tokyo. During my nap we had passed from above a dark wintry Arctic Circle to a much more reasonable latitude roughly equivalent to Seattle – which allowed the sun to come back up over the horizon. As I moved back to suite 1A and turned on the onboard camera, I was treated to a second sunset of the day as Nakano-san and Fukumura-san prepared the next feast.

All told, it was far too much food. Even for a 14hr flight. By the time I got to the shusai (main dish) of grilled yellowtail topped with crabmeat, I was already stuffed and couldn’t come close to finishing. Fukumura finished the meal with some red bean (adzuki) jelly and a beautiful cup of matcha. I was also surprised with some cheesecake art welcoming me back to Japan (clearly these ladies were quite bored today). They told me I didn’t have to eat the cheesecake, but telling that to a native New Yorker is a useless endeavor.

Knowing I had yet another lengthy quarantine ahead, I decided to treat myself to one final indulging glass of Hibiki 21 just before we began our descent into Haneda. It was a fitting end to another exceptional flight on ANA.

Old Jan 16, 2022, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Conclusion

ANA continues to impress. Despite the lingering pandemic, there are still hardly any cutbacks (besides the pre-packaged oshibori, I suppose) and the onboard service remains faultless. That being said, having flown back and forth to Japan numerous times over the past year, at this point I really would like nothing more than to see full aircraft again and a reopened Japan that the whole world can enjoy. When that eventually happens, whether it’s in 2022 or later, I hope you’re also able to experience the exceptional onboard hospitality offered by All Nippon Airways. Thanks for reading!

-FlyerBeek
Old Jan 16, 2022, 6:49 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Loved the dessert plate with the writing!
SFO777 likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 7:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Jealous…jealous…jealous!
Old Jan 17, 2022, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by boss315
Jealous…jealous…jealous!

Lovely report..... and who wouldn't be jealous? Happy to hear you compassionate about the hit ANA must be taking, but know how bored F crew can get with too few passengers on board.

Interesting presentation of the caviar. Trust you complained ha.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 6:47 am

Wonderful report. Reading along I was like “yes to that drink, yes to that food…”

But natto! An impressive culinary adventure that I’ve never made past the first bite. (Perhaps I should retry, enough Hibiki can change anyone’s mind I suppose.)

Thanks again for the great report!
FlyerBeek likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nequine
Loved the dessert plate with the writing!
Yes, they either really liked me or were exceptionally bored!

Originally Posted by NorthCircle
Interesting presentation of the caviar. Trust you complained ha.
Drafting my complaint letter now. How DARE they serve me caviar in a ramekin!

Originally Posted by Milwaukee
Wonderful report. Reading along I was like “yes to that drink, yes to that food…” But natto! An impressive culinary adventure that I’ve never made past the first bite. (Perhaps I should retry, enough Hibiki can change anyone’s mind I suppose.)!
Don't really know why, but I like natto and enjoy it with beer or whisky (although I don't typically enjoy it with Hibiki 21!). The FAs always seem surprised when I (a gaijin) order it.

-FlyerBeek
mnhusker likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Great TR - gorgeous photos! Thanks so much :-)
FlyerBeek likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 8:13 am

Incredible TR.. THANK YOU
FlyerBeek likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 8:23 am

Nice report and pretty surreal to fly on a 77W with 13 passengers.

How do you generate the menu pictures (they look good)? Do you have an e-version of the menu or is it a special picture?
Old Jan 20, 2022, 2:00 am

Great report, flew ANA J from SYD to LHR recently and really enjoyed it. F stayed empty on both the HND-LHR and LHR-HND flights and there was only a few of us in the J mini cabin behind.

Originally Posted by NYC1
How do you generate the menu pictures (they look good)? Do you have an e-version of the menu or is it a special picture?
ANA publish PDF food and drink menus online for all classes:

Select the "Dining/Drinks" tab and then scroll down to the blue box to select class and route:
https://www.ana.co.jp/en/au/the-ana-...usiness-class/
FlyerBeek likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NYC1
Nice report and pretty surreal to fly on a 77W with 13 passengers.

Thanks. Surprisingly, those aren't even the worse loads I've seen recently flying to/from Japan. A week earlier flying HND-ORD there were 9 passengers my 787-9. Re the menus, as henrus noted, I get them off the ANA website. It's far easier (and looks better) than taking photos of the printed menus.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jan 20, 2022, 7:06 am

Programs: QF P1 LTG SQ PPS IHG Diamond Elite
A pleasure to read - only one ice cube in the Hibiki please 😩😩 ( I now have PTSD which will only heal with the identical trip!!!)
FlyerBeek likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
An epic flight!
FlyerBeek likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.