Bella Italia - Pandemic times 2.0

Bella Italia - Pandemic times 2.0

Old Aug 12, 2021, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by mentor of monty
That looks a lot like an authentic Strada Bianche to me... there's even a bike race based around them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strade_Bianche
There was a bicycle race during my stay. Also I got some angry reactions when I overtook some cyclists. But they canīt expect I drive all the time behind them. But for sure they needed a shower in the evening.
lamphs likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by 13901
See? What you actually need is a Panda 4x4, none of this Teutonic grandeur
I was a very popular car in the region. To be fair it was a great chance to experience my 4 wheel drive, it was never that active before.
13901 likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Rosewood Castiglion Del Bosco

Letīs continue with the room. We booked a Borgo Suite and it was excactly what we got. The hotel was fully booked.

There was a small entrance.

The positive thing about the room was it had a powder room and additional storing space.

The living room was big enough but nevertheless I found the style a little bit too rustic. Also I prefer a real table in front of the sofa.

But there was a real problem with the suite. When I hate one thing itīs a dead bird. I find them totally disgusting. And what was in the room? An ugly display with stuffed birds.

Who wants something like this in the room? I asked at reception for another room, but they were fully book. Therefore they removed it, so the room was acceptable.
The bedroom had an integrated bathroom what I know from Bagi di Pisa and is nothing I like too much.

The bed was OK, nothing special. As often in Italy (and too many other countries)we got 1 blanket, which is something I will never understand. When we asked for 2 different blankets they asked, they first didnīt understand and finally got it after they asked, if we want it German style. Nevertheless what we got was far from German style, it were 2 blankets over 1 (sic!) linen. Nice joke.... This was much better at the Principe, were we got 2 proper blankets. As it was the same at MO I donīt know if itīs a Milan thing or Dorchester and MO had the wish on file from former stays at the brand.
The bathroom was well done with a glass roof.

I never felt in love with the suite, it was simply not my style.
A funny fact about the service: One day we got a gift, containing of a cake and some liqueur. We ate the cake and put the liqueur on the side to take it home and most likely use it for guests or as a gift. Next day it was gone. Drink or say goodbye So better put everything directly in your case if you wanna keep it
lamphs and Pausanias like this.
Old Aug 13, 2021, 5:20 pm

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Why are hotels in Italy so tired / dated / not stylish
to think Milan has fantastic fashion and furniture design, yet these hotels look so old! how backward/broke is the Italian hotel industry
Old Aug 13, 2021, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PGberkshire
to think Milan has fantastic fashion and furniture design, yet these hotels look so old! how backward/broke is the Italian hotel industry
The MO wasn't and the FS will be completely re-done. So there are modern alternatives. But in many cases I agree, you will "love" my suite at Grand hotel Tremezzo
Old Aug 14, 2021, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The hotel contains mainly of a manor house with adjected buildings and an old castle ruin.

The bocce court and a fist view on the pool.

The outdoor bar

There is a very nice rose garden

a herbs garden

and some cacti.

They have an old church.

The ruin is on a hill

Surrounding landscape

The property is without question stunning. One problem was unfortunately cleanliness. This lay for example on the main way.

OK, it was cleaned up after some time but there was more. For example there was a dead mouse near the pool (didnīt take a picture) which was judging on the amount of animals on and around it not only lying there for a short time. It was clearly visible so no one cared or they donīt control enough.
The wintergarden of the restaurant and some views from the terrace.

Inside the manor house

Some impressions at the evening.

This are impression from the house were our suite was located.

lamphs and glasman19 like this.
Old Aug 15, 2021, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Our first dinner was connected with the first letdown. We had to learn that the gastronomic restaurant was closed and only their casual osteria was open. They claimed it was due government restrictions, but I canīt understand why other restaurants indoor were open and they were able to serve breakfast in the restaurant.

The Osteria has an "outdoor part" on the piazza and an "indoor part" which has a roof but is also without windows and mostly also open air. Unfortunately on our first evening it was rainy and quite cold. GF was not amused and we were lucky she didnīt get ill.

The food is of course not cheap, quality was OK.

lamphs likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2021, 10:38 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Thanks for letting me tag along on your journey.
offerendum likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by clkc86
Thanks for letting me tag along on your journey.
You are welcome
clkc86 likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Breakfast was served at the (for dinner closed) main restaurant.

It was an a la carte menu. Normally you got a tray like this:

You could also order warm dishes.

First time we were told there were an extra charge when I tried to order black truffle for my eggs. One time we ordered a smoothy and got an extra bill. So quite confusing. At least the smoothy wasnīt on our final hotel bill.
The quality was solid, but nothing special. Also for 7 days I found it quite boring. So nothing to complain about but also no reason to stay here.
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The hotel has a SPA but as we mainly were in Tuscany to enjoy the sights we didnīt visit. But I visited the outdoor pool which looks very good on pictures.

Indeed itīs a nice pool in a very nice setting. But they have a problem, the practically not-existing pool service. Sure, there is a bar and you can order drinks. But when I arrived the first time all sunloungers on pool level were dirty. The covers were wet and you could see people had used it. Also many sunloungers had used towells on it. I asked for a towell (yes, I had to ask) and if all these loungers were free. But no one offered to clean one for me. OK, I could have asked but with 4 figure sums per night it shouldnīt be necessary. As I only wanted to swim I also didnīt ask.
lamphs, clkc86 and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 18, 2021, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Volterra - Palazzo Viti

Now itīs time for the first real excursion. We decided to do Volterra and San Gimigniano on the first day and started in Volterra. After we arrived it started to rain so we were happy to start with a visit of Palazzo Viti. Itīs a nice Palazzo with interesting interior.

lamphs likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2021, 8:34 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium (LT Gold), UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Enjoying this TR so far, can't wait for the rest of it! Also, surprised to see the BMW, for some reason I thought you were an Audi man.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wakesetter93
Enjoying this TR so far, can't wait for the rest of it! Also, surprised to see the BMW, for some reason I thought you were an Audi man.
I had Audis for some time but with my last Audi I was very unsatisfied and they did't really have an interesting car last time. Frankly I'm very satisfied with my BMW, it's much better than the Audi in my eyes. When I had an A6 or A8 during vacation as rental cars I wasn't too impressed.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 1:58 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by PGberkshire
Ridiculous comment. Stay at the Bvlgari hotel, Park Hyatt (newly renovated), Mandarin, or Four Seasons and you wont think twice. The Bvlgari blows this out of the water.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.