Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore Airlines Business Class: CPH to FCO

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2021, 4:04 am
Original Poster

Singapore Airlines Business Class: CPH to FCO

Introduction

I'm guessing that the more frequent visitors to my travel blog (knightofmalta.net) probably knew exactly what I was planning the moment I mentioned catching a plane from Paris to Copenhagen. As the result of decreased demand for air travel between Singapore and Europe, Singapore Airlines has merged its routes to Copenhagen and Rome into one flight. Flight SQ352 routes SIN-CPH-FCO and then back the same way. What is interesting about the flight, is that the aircraft and its crew spend a total of thirty hours on the ground in Rome. It then returns home with the same crew. And the airline has secured fifth freedom rights between Denmark and Italy!

Getting to the airport

I spend the night in Copenhagen at the Comfort hotel at Kastrup airport. The facility is fairly new, and I'm quite sure I'm the first person to spend the night in that room. Everything looks new. Other than that though, the hotel is a bit meh... service is not something they do well in Scandinavia. The nice thing is that the hotel is only about three minutes away from Terminal 3 on foot and has some great views!

Check-in

At this point, I really want to argue the case of the airlines, because I don't think it's at all fair the way they are currently being treated. And the entry requirements into Italy are a good example of that. I check in online for the flight to Rome. Then one day before departure, I get another mail from Singapore Airlines with a link to the ELF, which is the system the Italian government is using to track all arrivals into the country. You need to create a login and the whole process is just one huge pain in the ....

Then when you arrive at the gate for boarding, you are handed another form that you need to complete and hand over to the authorities upon arrival in Rome. Only, when eventually I land in Rome there's nobody there to hand my form to. My point is that a lot of restrictions and rules have been imposed on the airlines that a) do not apply to ground transportation for no apparent reason, and b) are then secretly removed without anybody bothering to inform the airlines about the changes.

The SAS lounge

As a member of the Star Alliance, Singapore Airlines uses the SAS lounge in Copenhagen, which is in the Schengen area. The lounge is divided in two floors. Normally, the upper level is for gold passengers, while the lower level is for regular Business Class passengers. However, with the lower demand for air travel, the lower floor has been closed off, and now all passengers use the upper level.

The design of the lounge is very nice and has a nordic feel to it. But that may just be an impression caused by my own cultural biases!

The food offerings are adequate and make for a nice breakfast spread. However, what I remember from my previous stay is that the selection does not change throughout the day.

Boarding

This is where the fun part begins: the non-Schengen concourse is on the C pier, which is where the flight from Singapore ends. Passengers making the journey from Singapore to Rome have to go through immigration in Copenhagen. And then from there, the flight continues as a Schengen flight to Rome. As the C pier is not equipped for dual Schengen/non-Schengen ops, this means that boarding for the flight to Rome is from one of the bus gates on the E pier, which is really out in the booneys. As my luck will have it, boarding is through the rear door. Oh happy day...!

The load in Economy Class and Premium Economy is not too bad. In Business Class there are six passenger, from what I can tell.

The cabin

Singapore Airlines has its own signature scent for its aircraft, and the familiar smell hits me the moment I step aboard.

The Business Class seat is fairly large and bulky and looks nice. There is also a lot of storage space available in the seat. Other than that though, I really can't say that I'm a fan of this seat. First, because I don't think it's all that convenient if passengers need to stand up and get out of their seat to convert it into a bed. Second, I think the fact that Singapore Airlines seems to see the need to show a video on how to operate the seat says a lot. Third, it's difficult to find a comfortable lounging position without having to turn the seat into a bed. And finally, speaking for myself only, I have tendency to align with the bed I'm lying in when I sleep. As such, the necessity to lie at an odd angle to fit into the bed is inconvenient. Still, for a flight of two hours it certainly beats the floating turd in the waterpipe otherwise known as Alitalia, and any SAS narrowbody.

The cabin crew

This is where Singapore Airlines really shines on this flight. The crew are just so polite and properly trained. Their manners are impeccable and they are personable and friendly. Which is even more amazing considering that they've already been on this aircraft for about ten hours, having come all the way from Singapore. When I reach my seat, there is a bottle of water, a sanitary pack and a set of earphones waiting for me. The crew help me with my luggage and then bring me a glass of orange juice.

Originally, I'm on 12A, but 11A appears to have had a bath in some dreadful aftershave that's making it hard for me to breathe. So the crew help me to resettle on 16A, where I have loads of peace and quiet. Throughout the flight, the crew address me by my family name and take good care of all the passengers.

The meal

Just before departure, one of the crew comes to take my order for the inflight snack. There are no menus, but she tells me there is a choice of some sort of portobello mushroom sandwich or a smoked salmon focaccia. I go with the latter.

The meal is a bit of a let down. I mean, I wasn't expecting a full on Business Class hot meal, but I think they could have done a bit better than just a cold and soggy bit of bread with salmon.

After the tray is removed, the crew pass through the cabin with a snack basket and champagne twice. I request and coffee and some lovely salted almonds.

Arrival

And then all too soon we're descending into Rome. The weather outside is lovely, and the pilot reports they're expecting a temperature of 36 degrees upon arrival.

The airport is quite busy when we land. We come to a stop at the newest pier in Fiumicino and I disembark into the heat. From our gate it's a fairly long walk to customs and arrivals, and as I already mentioned, nobody checks my passport, temperature, certificate or anything of the sort.

Getting into town

To get into town I'm taking the train. The Leonardo Express is the nonstop train that runs to Roma Terimin in just 30 minutes. There is a surcharge in this train, which is why you need to get a first class ticket for EUR14. Tickets are only valid on the train selected at the time of purchase. There are cheaper trains, but they take much longer and stop at basically every hay stack in between the airport and the city.
The station at Fiumicino is two floors up from arrivals and well signposted.

Old Jul 28, 2021, 9:41 am

Thanks for sharing a report on a unique flight.
For some reasons, SQ's catering on these fifth-freedom intra-European flights are relatively weak. I flew the Moscow to Stockholm flight before and the food was pretty lousy in business class too. The sandwich looked weak and I guess that was why the F/As came around with snack baskets.

Carfield
Old Jul 28, 2021, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks really bad, I wouldn't go out of my way to fly this.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 12:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
I never understand why people enthuse about the SQ business class seat, either this one or the newer one found on the A380, neither is practical and I find both uncomfortable. I rarely fly SQ these days whereas I used to be a regular.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 3:40 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Shades of my VG CDG-AMS J flight in a 777 in the early 00s for 99 euros or something similar
Old Jul 29, 2021, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lhrpete
I never understand why people enthuse about the SQ business class seat, either this one or the newer one found on the A380, neither is practical and I find both uncomfortable. I rarely fly SQ these days whereas I used to be a regular.
Pre-Covid Cathay was my preferred carrier to Asia for precisely this reason. The lame flip over thing should be banned!
Old Jul 29, 2021, 5:53 am

Thank you for the trip report, it was interesting to read and the pictures were great. Was it a A350-900 that you travelled on? The aircraft type was not mentioned in your report so I looked it up on FR24. Sorry, but some of us geeks find this sort of detail useful.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 2:21 pm

Programs: CX Silver
Originally Posted by bigbadjoe
Was it a A350-900 that you travelled on? The aircraft type was not mentioned in your report so I looked it up on FR24.
There's a photo in the trip report that shows the A350-900 safety card.
Old Jul 30, 2021, 4:15 pm

Programs: LH Sen for life; QR Plat; FB Gold; Bonvoy Gold for life
Great report but I must confess I was a little disappointed. When an FTer sees SQ CPH/FCO it is assumed that is a CPH/SIN/FCO routing.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Thanks for writing. Great report on this unique SQ route. Catering looks quite disappointing, especially considering this route is longer than many of SQ's regional routes (BKK, CGK, etc) that have continued to receive regular business class catering during COVID.

-FlyerBeek
Old Aug 2, 2021, 1:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Carfield
Thanks for sharing a report on a unique flight.
For some reasons, SQ's catering on these fifth-freedom intra-European flights are relatively weak. I flew the Moscow to Stockholm flight before and the food was pretty lousy in business class too. The sandwich looked weak and I guess that was why the F/As came around with snack baskets.

Carfield
Hi Carfield
I think most airlines don't do good catering on these add-on flights. Other than that though, I generally don't think SQ's catering is all that good.
Carfield likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 1:38 am
Original Poster

Funny you should say that, because that's exactly the same thing one of my assistants said to me...
Old Aug 2, 2021, 11:08 am

Programs: BAEC
Nice report on an interesting route. I agree with others that the catering is pretty spartan, but then I again I suppose it's deisgned around being a final tag to the SIN sectors, rather than a stand alone route.

It sounds like a really brutal trip for the crew if they do a a longhual and a shorthual flight together, with just 1 night off in Rome in between. I'm surprised they don't nightstop in CPH and just do a shuttle to FCO inbetween longhuals.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shefgab
Nice report on an interesting route. I agree with others that the catering is pretty spartan, but then I again I suppose it's deisgned around being a final tag to the SIN sectors, rather than a stand alone route.

It sounds like a really brutal trip for the crew if they do a a longhual and a shorthual flight together, with just 1 night off in Rome in between. I'm surprised they don't nightstop in CPH and just do a shuttle to FCO inbetween longhuals.
I suspect SQ wants to make sure that in they don't end up in a situation where they have an aircraft stuck somewhere with no crew to fly it home if the entry requirements change at short notice. Or, that they end up with a whole crew stranded somewhere with no aircraft available to bring them home. As it is, the crew's layover is as long as the aircraft's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.