Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Scotland – 12 days in Inverness, Skye, Outer Hebrides, St.Kilda & NC500

Scotland – 12 days in Inverness, Skye, Outer Hebrides, St.Kilda & NC500

Old Jul 1, 2021, 10:13 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Fantastic Trip Report. Great scenery. Thanks for your time and effort and thanks for sharing the pictures so I could vicariously partake.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 2:16 am

It is interesting that you found many people were doing the NC500 in an anticlockwise direction. We did our trip clockwise and, to be perfectly frank, the section from John O'Groats to Inverness was pretty bland and boring. The only parts we found pretty and interesting were Dornoch and Dunrobin Castle. The same cannot be said for the west coast with stunning views at every turn, so perhaps it is better to go anticlockwise as the scenery just keeps getting better and better. Will be researching our 2022 trip this weekend. Thank you once again, an excellent TR!
Vaclav likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 11:30 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Thanks for a fantastic trip report. It isn't too often we see one featuring Scotland, so thanks for doing it!!

Great pics on your approach to Inverness! Your other photos were great too but there is something about Scotland, that when its a cloudy day, the photos are much more scenic I think? That last one in your report on the way to Skye is simply spectacular!!!

I think the best place to get pictures of Urquhart Castle is to do a cruise on Loch Ness - I got some fantastic photos of the Castle on our trip... sadly none of Nessie!

I too did a Scotland holiday this year (Shetland - highly recommend it!) but seeing your pics of the West Coast makes me want to venture there next.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Great report! Would also be interested what this strange "building" is
Old Jul 3, 2021, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Thanks everyone for your comments!

Originally Posted by Bogwoppit
Beautiful, we had this trip planned for 2020, so I am very pleased to see you managed to get such a great trip done.
Have you rescheduled?

Originally Posted by GregWTravels
Great trip report. Scotland is amazing. Reminds me of a family I met hiking up Kilimanjaro (I never made it - sadly), but the father kept saying that as we passed each various geographic zone - "reminds me of Scotland."
Having seen the photos you posted, yes, I can see how the rest of the world looks much like Scotland.
I guess the more you travel around the world, the more everywhere looks sort of similar, and yet wildy different.

Originally Posted by Gardyloo
For future reference or anyone following the NC500 route who has an interest in ancient structures, there's another broch that's quite close to the main route between Durness and Tongue on the north coast. Broch Dun Dornaigil (500-1000 BCE) is located on an un-numbered road that runs from Altnaharra to the A838. It sits in a gorgeous and wild setting in Strathmore just south of Ben Hope, well worth the detour off the main "NC500" route.
Very interesting. I'll oput that on the to do list the next time I dirve around the NC500

Originally Posted by HawaiiFlyerDC8
Wow, so beautiful, Congrats on your wonderful pictures, It really makes me think I should see Scotland, although I am less adventurous than I once was. But maybe next summer along with a trip to London/Paris . I suppose the Queen won;t have me at Balmoral, but I;m not much for parlor games anyway. Take care, and thanks again.
Thanks! There's so much worth seeing up there, don't cheat yourself by only tacking onto the end of a London or Paris trip.

Originally Posted by Loose Cannon
Fantastic Trip Report. Great scenery. Thanks for your time and effort and thanks for sharing the pictures so I could vicariously partake.
Thanks for reading!

Originally Posted by bigbadjoe
It is interesting that you found many people were doing the NC500 in an anticlockwise direction. We did our trip clockwise and, to be perfectly frank, the section from John O'Groats to Inverness was pretty bland and boring. The only parts we found pretty and interesting were Dornoch and Dunrobin Castle. The same cannot be said for the west coast with stunning views at every turn, so perhaps it is better to go anticlockwise as the scenery just keeps getting better and better. Will be researching our 2022 trip this weekend. Thank you once again, an excellent TR!
A friend did the trip a few weeks before me and said that the West coast had far better scenery. I'm glad I did it this way around otherwise I would have run out of time towards the end of the day by stopping everywhere!

Originally Posted by nequine
Thanks for a fantastic trip report. It isn't too often we see one featuring Scotland, so thanks for doing it!!
Great pics on your approach to Inverness! Your other photos were great too but there is something about Scotland, that when its a cloudy day, the photos are much more scenic I think? That last one in your report on the way to Skye is simply spectacular!!!
I think the best place to get pictures of Urquhart Castle is to do a cruise on Loch Ness - I got some fantastic photos of the Castle on our trip... sadly none of Nessie!
I too did a Scotland holiday this year (Shetland - highly recommend it!) but seeing your pics of the West Coast makes me want to venture there next.
Certainly the clouds can add some delpth that you miss when the sky is just blue. But i'm glad the rain held for most of the trip. I'll have to do a Ness cruise on my next trip.

Originally Posted by offerendum
Great report! Would also be interested what this strange "building" is
The mystery was solved above - a bus shelter!
offerendum likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2021, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by shefgab
Have you rescheduled?
Well I am definitely hoping I can get into Scotland before xmas. My brother lives in Perth and parents near Lindisfarne. But likely the full coast/island trip will wait until 2022 when we can book and plan. It was a super hard trip to lose, after all our planning, so want to make sure we can make it happen.

Absolutely loved your report.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 2:58 am
mjm
Original Member

Cool report! I am doing the NC 500 and adding a side trip of a few days to Orkney next summer as well. Will spend 9 days in the endeavor. But in early May as the only Midge I want is the one who played in Ultravox.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 8:46 am

You will enjoy Orkney mjm !

A friend swears by using The Body Shop satsuma body mist spray for getting rid of not just the midgies but all bugs too!
Old Jul 4, 2021, 5:43 pm

A fine report. Always nice to see people enjoying my home turf..... this makes me want to expedite booking a trip home!
Old Jul 5, 2021, 12:28 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Airmiles AMEX-MR Alaska Airlines
Thank you for sharing but where’s the scotch pics?!?! 😄
Old Jul 8, 2021, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bogwoppit
Well I am definitely hoping I can get into Scotland before xmas. My brother lives in Perth and parents near Lindisfarne. But likely the full coast/island trip will wait until 2022 when we can book and plan. It was a super hard trip to lose, after all our planning, so want to make sure we can make it happen.

Absolutely loved your report.
Glad you enjoyed the report

Originally Posted by mjm
Cool report! I am doing the NC 500 and adding a side trip of a few days to Orkney next summer as well. Will spend 9 days in the endeavor. But in early May as the only Midge I want is the one who played in Ultravox.
I was amazed I didn't have any midge activity at all during my trip. I'd love a trip up to Orkney

Originally Posted by nequine
You will enjoy Orkney mjm !

A friend swears by using The Body Shop satsuma body mist spray for getting rid of not just the midgies but all bugs too!
I brought Skin So Soft, but didn;t have a chance to use it

Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
A fine report. Always nice to see people enjoying my home turf..... this makes me want to expedite booking a trip home!
It's a lovely place to be...and to come from

Originally Posted by injian
Thank you for sharing but where’s the scotch pics?!?! 😄
Haha, sadly i'm not a whisky drinker. I'm much more a rum guy!
Old Jul 9, 2021, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by shefgab
I brought Skin So Soft, but didn;t have a chance to use it
That is the one colleagues say is good too!
shefgab likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 11:08 am

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Beautiful pictures! Scotland is absolutely stunning
Old Jul 9, 2021, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chongl
Beautiful pictures! Scotland is absolutely stunning
Thanks! The scenery really is amazing up there.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 5:54 pm

Great report! There are so many trips such as yours that are enticing. I very much look forward to the day when I can land in LHR and walk out of the airport and explore!! Transited last month to Greece, but can't wait to wander the countryside there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.