Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Four days in Afghanistan

Four days in Afghanistan

Old Mar 30, 2021, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kalderlake
Striking pictures, particularly Kabul from the graveyard.

cheers
kl
Thanks!
Old Mar 30, 2021, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stevie
Very interesting TR - albeit too risky for me to consider. Thanks for posting.
Yup, understood that this is not for everyone. My travel preferences are generally to the more off the beaten track parts of the world, but I will acknowledge that Afghanistan is likely on the extreme end of that spectrum for most.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gaobest
Great TR and pretty stressful for the drive through the desert and risk of checkpoints. Glad the vehicle didnt get stuck. Wow!!
I've been stuck in sand before (in other parts of the world). That part honestly didn't worry me much. The insanity & chaos of people (who don't drive up to Western standards on a good day) buzzing around the desert was the far greater risk.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by camsean
Thanks for a very interesting trip report.

I think of myself as an intrepid traveller, but this is out of my league.
I'd love to think that some day, in our lifetimes, it will become safe & stable enough for most people to consider visiting. But I also can't imagine how that would be possible, considering the current trajectory there. That's partly why I went, as I don't think it will get any safer for a long time.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 7:18 pm
Suspended

Don't think the country is ever going to be stable, too much people want control of it similar to Yemen, Iraq and Syria at the moment. Cool report though, would love to visit Iran one day if our governments cool down.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyEndeavorAir
Don't think the country is ever going to be stable, too much people want control of it similar to Yemen, Iraq and Syria at the moment. Cool report though, would love to visit Iran one day if our governments cool down.
Not sure what you're talking about here. Unless you have some magical time machine, you have no way of claiming that Afghanistan will never be stable. Given enough time, I'm sure things will improve.

There's absolutely no reason why you can't go to Iran right now, even if that's completely unrelated to this entire thread.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 8:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by netllama
Not sure what you're talking about here. Unless you have some magical time machine, you have no way of claiming that Afghanistan will never be stable. Given enough time, I'm sure things will improve.

There's absolutely no reason why you can't go to Iran right now, even if that's completely unrelated to this entire thread.
No need for the hostility, I was just observing recent history, I hope it happens sooner than later for all the wonderful people who just want to live their lives.

As far as Iran, it is hard to get into right now being a US passport holder.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyEndeavorAir
No need for the hostility, I was just observing recent history, I hope it happens sooner than later for all the wonderful people who just want to live their lives.

As far as Iran, it is hard to get into right now being a US passport holder.
There's no hostility, I'm simply noting that you're wrong. Sorry if being corrected upsets you that much.

An American can enter Iran now with the same process that has existed for many many years. Nothing has changed in that respect.
SFO777 likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 3:23 pm

Programs: BAEC and Hilton mostly
OK, I guess I'm just going to have to look for some other interesting TRs... good evening to you.

Edit: this was the last of a series of questions to another poster, in response to unwarranted abuse of the OP, which has since been removed. MODS: please feel free to remove this as well, if needed

Last edited by Tocsin; Apr 4, 2021 at 2:10 pm Reason: explanatory addition
Old Apr 21, 2021, 5:44 pm

Thanks for a cool report. Really wondering about the costs of this Afghanistan tour.
According to my research, this 4 days private tour (ALL-IN) shouldn't cost more than $800 including domestic flights ($150 round trip) in 2021, but it seems, some agencies definitely offering excessive prices.
$150-200 a day should be a highest limit, you can pay for such a tour.

Last edited by anonimous; Apr 25, 2021 at 1:09 pm
Old Aug 14, 2021, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Sadly, Afghanisgtan has plunged back into chaos in the span of 6 months. Nearly everywhere that I visited on this trip, other than Kabul is now firmly under Taliban control. I wouldn't be surprised if Kabul fell before the end of this month. Its disapointing that 20 years of war & development efforts have accomplished absolutely nothing.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 5:54 pm

I've been following the news on a Facebook travel group. Nothing good to report. That was a great opportunity for you and any other visitors to Afghanistan.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 8:20 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
Sadly, Afghanisgtan has plunged back into chaos in the span of 6 months. Nearly everywhere that I visited on this trip, other than Kabul is now firmly under Taliban control. I wouldn't be surprised if Kabul fell before the end of this month. Its disapointing that 20 years of war & development efforts have accomplished absolutely nothing.
Crazy to think that Kabul actually fell within 24 hours after you posted this. I enjoyed your report.
offerendum and SFO777 like this.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Indeed very sad. I think its quite sure we will not see any reports about Afghanistan for a long time here.
zip10001 likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by offerendum
Indeed very sad. I think its quite sure we will not see any reports about Afghanistan for a long time here.
Yes, sad it is. And humiliating for some. Worrying and more for the population. However, while a lot of people are predicting a return to the Dark Ages, I'm not so sure. Taliban.2 might turn out to be rather different from Taliban.1 and be on a charm offensive for several years, preserving the progress made with regards to human rights and also recognising diplomatic relations. If that turns out to be the case, tourism of a sort would be to their advantage, possibly enabling certain outfits such as Wild Frontiers to operate cultural tours there again in a few years' time.

Last edited by Pausanias; Aug 18, 2021 at 4:53 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.