Reload this Page >

Four days in Afghanistan

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Four days in Afghanistan

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2021, 2:46 pm

I really appreciate the trip report and photos, especially the graveyard and following photo, which are hauntingly beautiful - nice camerawork. I was supposed to visit late last year with LBF via Lupine, but ultimately postponed until early next year for a variety of reasons. For the sake of the Afghan people most importantly, I hope the security situation has improved by then.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by strummerjones
I really appreciate the trip report and photos, especially the graveyard and following photo, which are hauntingly beautiful - nice camerawork. I was supposed to visit late last year with LBF via Lupine, but ultimately postponed until early next year for a variety of reasons. For the sake of the Afghan people most importantly, I hope the security situation has improved by then.

Thanks. To be honest, the security situation is getting worse, not better.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 10:02 pm

I know, but I’m trying to stay positive.

I am curious about the difficulties you had in obtaining a visa. My experience went quite well, despite a fair amount of supporting documentation requested, but there is a consulate here in LA that surely eased the process. I dropped off the paperwork; they had me wait while they reviewed it; a few questions were asked (one person thought LBF’s license had expired, but they were looking at the date of formation instead), then I was told it’d be ready in a week. Hoping for the same next time.🤞🏾

Last edited by strummerjones; Aug 20, 2021 at 2:24 pm
Old Mar 27, 2021, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by strummerjones
I know, but I’m trying to stay positive.

I am curious about the difficulties you had in obtaining a visa. My experience went quite well, despite a fair amount of supporting documentation requested, but there is a consulate here in LA that surely eased the process. I dropped off the paperwork; they had me wait while they reviewed it; a few questions were asked (one person thought LBF’s license had expired, but they were looking at the date of formation instead), then I was told it’d be ready in a week. Hoping for the same next time.🤞🏾
My application was sent to the consulate in DC. I mailed everything that they required on their website, but still ended up getting an incoherent phone call demanding a letter of introduction. I literally made a copy of the invitation letter, threw my name at the top, and then they were happy. Its just this petty, undocumented nonsense that made the process more difficult than neccesary.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 3:04 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, QR Gold, HH Gold, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Not meaning to derail thid thread but it maybe of interest to some given the OP's PCR test experience.

City Lab, in conjunction with airport, has now opened an official PCR test facility at KBL with results turned around in 15 mins. I do not know price but I believe will be expensive. There seems to be demand as too many pax were being denied check in due to lacking valid PCR test.

The lab is located to your right as you exit international arrivals.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cargueiro
Not meaning to derail thid thread but it maybe of interest to some given the OP's PCR test experience.

City Lab, in conjunction with airport, has now opened an official PCR test facility at KBL with results turned around in 15 mins. I do not know price but I believe will be expensive. There seems to be demand as too many pax were being denied check in due to lacking valid PCR test.

The lab is located to your right as you exit international arrivals.
Do you have a reference to where you're seeing this information? I find it very difficult to believe that any lab is generating valid PCR test results in 15 minutes. The fastest test labs in the world still need at least an hour to complete a PCR test. Its literally impossible to produce PCR test results in just 15 minutes time, regardless of how much test capacity is available. Fast (antigen) tests take 15 minutes, however those tests are not acceptable to board Emirates (or FlyDubai) flights departing from Kabul.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 1:50 pm

The above photo is taken from CityLab's Facebook page.

The above is taken from EK's website showing CityLab as authorised testing centre.

If you read the comments from the Facebook page, CityLab suggests the test can be completed with results in 30 mins but also says if you pay more it can be done quicker.

The price for a 30 min turnaround is AFS5500 (a very reasonable US$70).

I, like you, am very dubious of this. A number of other commentators are too if you read the comments section.

Last edited by cargueiro; Mar 28, 2021 at 9:07 pm
Old Mar 29, 2021, 5:01 am

And here is another post from CityLab about how it conducts PCR tests in 20 mins:

Old Mar 29, 2021, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Did you do any dbx fun stuff before or after the trip?
Old Mar 29, 2021, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gaobest
Did you do any dbx fun stuff before or after the trip?
No, I was transiting with just a few hours in each direction. I've spent time in Dubai a few years ago though.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 6:19 am

Thanks for a very interesting trip report.

I think of myself as an intrepid traveller, but this is out of my league.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by halfcape
Thank you for sharing your trip, the photos and commentary were great. The countryside is beautiful.
Again, thanks.

Thanks. It is indeed a gorgeous country. Its a pity that its experienced little more than chaos for nearly half a century.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer
Thanks for bringing back my own memories of my time there in the 70s. Things were a little more quiet then, and the family armaments generally limited to bolt lock rifles, but I'm sure the people are basically the same underneath it all. Salang Pass is in itself an adventure, but your tails of road dashes and bomb craters must have made for an "exciting" day!
One ever present thing during my time there was the sheer number of armed men everywhere. Military, police, independent militias, and then just random people with automatic weapons. I've been to my fair share of countries where the police or military have a public presence before, but this was an entirely different level.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lamphs
Thanks for posting a report for a less traveled location. It's been a while since I've seen an Afghanistan trip report on FT, and I think past reports were Kabul-based. I also checked out your Egypt report. Passing through there in May (I hope) for 4 days. Made a couple of notes from your itinerary. Safe travels!
Thanks! You're passing through Afghanistan or Egypt in May? I couldn't even predict what you'd experience in the former, but Egypt will by relatively quiet in terms of tourists. Even the parking area for the Giza pyramids wasn't half full last month. We were given free room upgrades in nearly every hotel, because they were just that empty.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RI2KH2SU
An amazing trip report. Thank you... you and your travel mates are much braver than I am!
Thanks. To be honest, it was only the day of driving back to Kabul where I felt genuinely unsafe. The rest of the time, I never experienced anything that led me to doubt my safety. Perhaps some of that was ignorance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.