Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Escaping the 16-days 'hard lockdown' in Ukraine

Escaping the 16-days 'hard lockdown' in Ukraine

Old Jan 18, 2021, 9:16 am
Community Director Emerita

It was fun to relive our own visit to Al Maha thru your pictures. Were there any Covid restrictions such as requirements to wear face masks?
offerendum likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
How beautiful of Al Mahar and the bargain 70,000 points per night when the retail is us$1200. Wow.
and that it’s 70km from Dubai - I didn’t realize just how large all of this area is so I’m learning much great stuff.

shame that the Wagyu carpaccio didn’t taste better because we would hope that Wagyu is amazing. Blah blah!! It should taste so great.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Al Maha is indeed a very nice place and a contrast to Dubai. At least in the past this package was always part of the rates. While I don't necessarily need full board it's quite nice to have the inclusions.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 6:55 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Originally Posted by ChristianKiev
A big problem in Dubai is, that you can’t make calls via Telegram, Viber, WhatsApp and even Facetime. That’s not good for business, so I need to handle everything via voice messages.
Signal is working in Dubai.
hugolover likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If your life choices predicate a bodyguard, I am surprised you don't use a VPN.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 5:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lufthansa SEN, Bonvoy LT TE, SIXT Diamond, AVIS President, HERTZ President
Monday, January 18, 2021

It was supposed to be the most active day of our trip - and so the alarm rang shortly after 6.

The early morning view from our terrace was just fantastic, plus the sounds of the desert, the calls of the various birds. That's exactly how I imagined it.

A short walk through the desert around our villa while Marina was still in the shower.

Shortly before 0700 we arrived at the lobby, were guided down a small hill into the desert, where a hotel team was waiting for both of us, preparing a falcon demonstration.

Fortunately, there were no other hotel guests at such an early hour, so we got a private performance.

First the history of hunting with falcons was explained, then how they were caught in the past (today you go to a falconry, lay down your credit card and pay - depending on the type and size - between US$ 150 and 300,000 - for an untrained bird). The training of falcons was also explained, although it is not limited to falcons, other animals such as eagles and owls are also used for hunting. Nowadays, however, hunting is no longer allowed, it's about who has the fastest bird, up to almost 400 km / h are possible.

After watching the sunrise over the desert

a larger falcon was introduced to us, which started from the glove,

to turn large circles around us and then, in a sudden, hunted for his food on the glove.

When he ate it,

the face-mask was quickly put on and a younger, smaller falcon took his place.

But this one didn't want to play the game, just flew away hunted the many pigeons. He could only be captured using a GPS tracking device.

It was explained to us that this falcon loves to do so, once he had been found only after 2 days, 70 km away, half starved.

The third bird was a beautiful owl

which was relatively calm compared to the falcons. It was interesting that you could tell from the position of the feathers on the head her mood, calm or aggressive/angry.

The last bird was an eagle, barely 4 years old and quite impressive.

Since he was still relatively young and not yet fully trained, he was only allowed to fly on a very long line.

Seeing an eagle hunting is really impressive. We were told that this bird has so much strength in its claws, that he could easily break an arm.

After this demonstration, we went straight to breakfast on the restaurant terrace,

where we e got espresso, delicious croissants, fruit patties, a protein omelette with asparagus

as well as 'Eggs Royale', served with smoked salmon.

Since I was still a hungry, there got a wonderful brioche French toast, perfectly prepared, even better than in the SGS.

Back in the room, where we lay down on the terrace, enjoyed the pool, tanned a bit in the morning sun, watched the very trusting antelopes.

Shortly before 1100 the sun on disappeared, as our villa is designed for the morning sun.

We made our way to the spa center, where communal pool and gym are located.

To our surprise, we weren't alone; the gym being just a basic training tool for the desert - but we didn't expect more. Nevertheless, it was well equipped so we were able to do our 1 ½ hour training.

After a quick look at the communal pool

we went back to our villa, spotted another newborn,

dressed up and went to the restaurant where we sat on the terrace to enjoy lunch.

Excellent bread was served, along with a modern 'strawberry dip'

- sometimes classic olive oil is better than this innovative crap.

We started with a cucumber gazpacho

and duck liver terrine,

followed by Thai green curry with scallops and shrimp
[url = https: //abload.de/image.php? img = 0118232jjw3.jpeg] [img] https://abload.de/img/0118232jjw3.jpeg [/ img] [/ url]

and an Argentinian beef fillet with sauce Bernaise and spinach.

Except for the fillet, the food was much better than the night before, there was hardly anything to complain about.

For dessert I ordered chocolate fondant for Marina,

I tried avocado ice cream.

Back to the room we relaxed at pleasant temperatures until we arrived back to the lobby at 1545.

We were picked up for a one-hour nature drive. With the Japanese camel we went off-road through the desert, through the huge hotel area (225 square kilometers). Originally they wanted to find oil in the area, but encountered fresh water - and decided to use the area differently, since 1999 as a hotel with almost 50 villas (there are premium villas with a direct view of the desert and normal villas, located on the hill, with a look out over the premium villas into the desert). In 2004 the almost extinct antelopes began to be settled, 48 in number - today there are around 600. You are no longer allowed to hunt these antelopes - otherwise you can stay in Dubai for a few years free of charge.

We drove on through the desert, past different species of antelopes, smaller ones like the ones ivsiting our pool, and larger ones with longer horns.

The different trees and bushes were explained, as well as their use, then and now.

We stopped on a dune, enjoyed the view,

before going back to the resort.

Marina had a stomach ache, so I gave her a tablet and put her on the sofa with some tea, so she could recover.

Around 1930 she felt better, so that we could walk to the restaurant where we arrived around 2000. This time we were smarter, looked for a covered table with proper lighting, got the amuse gueule, a bland of minced meat in an extremely bitter sauce.

We continued with sheep's cheese with beetroot sauce and scallop tempura in spicy mayonnaise - both very tasty.

Instead of lemon sorbet there was a mango sorbert as a refresher - I think, as I said, old-fashioned; but at least it was tasty.

The main courses were also much better than the night before, the salmon was perfectly seared, while with the biryani you could tell that Indians are working in the kitchen.

Since the tiramisu was so delicious, we ordered it again, plus a baked pear with homemade cinnamon ice cream.

At Al Maha they really know how to do desserts.

After the meal when returned back to our villa.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
great Monday 1/18/21 tr :-)

I like the comment about staying in Dubai for a few years without charge. So funny :-)
now I’m craving French toast for breakfast but I’ll just have to make it myself :-)
Old Jan 22, 2021, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

When I visited they only had 1 villa category, but why not making some extra
Old Jan 23, 2021, 2:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lufthansa SEN, Bonvoy LT TE, SIXT Diamond, AVIS President, HERTZ President
Originally Posted by offerendum
When I visited they only had 1 villa category, but why not making some extra
They also do have 2 bigger villas with 2 bedrooms and the presidential villa.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by ChristianKiev
They also do have 2 bigger villas with 2 bedrooms and the presidential villa.
Yes, they were there before of course, only meant the 1-bedroom options.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 8:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Nice report. I remember staying in the Le Royal Meridien in 1993 just after it opened. It was miles and miles from the centre of Dubai and in the middle of nowhere, with only the Emirates Golf Club across the road. Quite shocking to see it surrounded by high rises like that.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 8:16 am

Another interesting read, thanks for sharing this and I look forward to the continuation.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 5:10 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I quite like Dubai and especially the beach at the Royal Meridien. Although I like it because it's a contrast from the cooler Pacific Northwest. I wouldn't be headed there for people watching or legitimate Emirati culture (because it's so rare!)
Old Jan 25, 2021, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Tuesday, January 19, 2021

The day of departure from the beautiful desert, back to the fake-city of Dubai.

Archery was planned for the morning - but we canceled, got up early anyway, were surprised by the thick fog over the desert,

and were the first to arrive at for breakfast on the terrace at 0830.

Alternatively, you can have breakfast and/or lunch as a 'floating meal' on a floating tray in the private pool, something that neither of us had an increased desire in.

So we enjoyed the beautiful view from the terrace, ordered an egg-white omelette with chili, a seafood omelette as well as French toast, in addition some fruits, croissants, espresso and fruit juices.

While the seafood omelette was excellent, 'soft', as I ordered it, today the French toast disappointed: it was just too dry.

It is a shame for a hotel of this category not to achieve constant quality.

A large number of birds have specialized in clearing the plates, don't even wait until you've finished.

Back to the villa, we just wanted to enjoy pool and terrace, much nicer than on the beach of the Le Royal Meridien.

We packed our bags and, for a last time, went for lunch to the terrace. The goose liver terrine had been that good that we ordered it again, both of us. Instead of main courses we got salad with feta chips for Marina,

for me a wonderfully refreshing gazpacho from cherry tomatoes with shrimps.

After lunch we checked out at the reception, the hotel staff loaded our SUV,

I enjoyed the ride on the gravel road towards the highway.

We arrived back to Dubai within an hour.

Originally I booked the JW Marriott downtown, but after we were allowed to examine it at our friends' private party, the absolutely ugly lobby with its backlit false marble on the wall, I decided to cancel and instead booked at the Grosvenor House, on various advices.

It is irritating that there is 'Tower One' and 'Tower Two' - the gentleman at the entrance also had to check where we had to drop off our car and luggage.

After getting the information, we went up to the reception of 'Tower Two',

where we received our key cards for a Premier Deluxe Suite on the 10th floor - unfortunately without a balcony.

The suite was certainly very nice - but not my taste at all, a bit old-fashioned, like at the SGS in Bangkok. It's a shame that there is no W city hotel in Dubai.

We quickly unpacked our belongings, changed to gym clothes, went down to 4th floor and started our workout.

I went downstairs for my after-gym-cigarette, took a 50-meter walk to the Marina.

We didn't feel like leaving the hotel anymore because friends wanted to come over for a drink at 2100. So we went to the highly praised club lounge on the 5th floor of Tower Two and were very impressed by the first look.

The existence of a balcony with seating

and a great view convinced.

On the other hand the food, by far not impressive, cheese- and sausage platters, canapés, mini quiche, veg. Samosas and chicken kebabs - everything tasted very average. No desserts and only Pepsi (at Le Meridien, even Marriott, there was served real Coca-Cola).

Honestly, at their sister hotel, the Le Royal Meridien everything was far better.

Back to the room, where we relax a bit until our friends arrived.
lamphs and roadwarrier like this.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Wednesday, January 20th, 2021

As already explained, we didn't come to Dubai because we wanted to relax; The main reason was to do what we couldn't do at home during lockdown: eat out, go to the gym and get tanned - although that won't work for a few months, with or without lockdown. Therefore we didn't sleep long, got up at 0800 and at 0900 we already arrived at the club lounge for breakfast (alternatively you may go to the main restaurant in the other tower).

The morning started with the espresso machine in the room not working, Marina & I had to go to the bathroom without the morning wake-up caffeine. We could also forget about our morning cigarette with coffee (or without) - because I certainly don't go through the hotel lobby without having showered.

Breakfast at Grosvenor House I will remember for its start: I got a double, hot espresso - straight on my pants. I was awake !

Otherwise, the offer and quality were comparable to the LRM.

Sadly there was no 'Indian' selection in the Club Lounge.

Shortly after ten we were at the pool.

Luxury Collection? Where is there any 'luxury' ??? To reach the pool you need to drive to M-Floor, take an elevator to an intermediate floor, cross a bridge to Tower 1, walk through the hotel lobby to take an elevator to spa/pool level - and then the pool ambience of a 3* hotel awaits you, at most.

Of course, you could also walk/be shuttled to the beach of Le Royal Meridien - but then we could have stayed at Le Royal Meridien with its nicer rooms.

We had sun until 1045,

then it disappeared behind one of the many uninspired skyscrapers,

and didn't appear again until 1125.

Until 1300 we turned our bodies in the sun, a light breeze made it bearable, because the pool itself wasn't exactly inviting either.

The only plus compared to the Le Royal Meridien was that you got a tray with water and ice-filled glasses.

3 elevators and a mile of walk later we were back in our room, changed for the gym, only to find out at 1330 that disinfection was carried out until 1400.

After a Diet Pepsi in the Club Lounge we could start our 1-hour training session without any other people around.

A small lunch was served in the Club Lounge between 1400 and 1600. Here you immediately noticed that Le Royal Meridien and Grosvenor House are sister hotels - except for the sandwiches

the offerings was identical.

We relaxed for some time, examined the menu in the club lounge in the evening, very disappointing. In addition to the cheese- / cold cuts platter and canapés

there has been offered: chicken nuggets, colorless lamb skewers and mini potatoes tossed in butter.

Fortunately, this wasn't going to be our dinner. If I compare the GH with the SGS in Bangkok - then 'Good night Grosvenor House!'

After a Diet Pepsi on the terrace of the Club Lounge, 2100 we headed north, first shopping for souvenirs for Marina's mother and my employees.

What do you bring from Dubai? Indian sweets ! Because the best thing about Dubai is that it is so close to India and that many Indians are living here. The GH concierge, an Indian, confirmed that the best Indian sweets in Dubai can be found at 'Biknervala Al Barsha', the same the Le Royal Meridien concierge had sent us to. That's because 'Bikanervala' has its own production in Dubai. We chose 4 medium boxes, individually stocked, as souvenirs, a big one for us. Even Marina, who is addicted to sweets, has recognized that nothing beats the Indian variant.

Onwards to restaurant 'ZUMA', which I had already visited in Hong Kong, London, Bangkok, Miami and Dubai. There is one dish that I absolutely adore - but more to that later.

It was very difficult to get a table during our trip, the only option being today at 2200 - I took it.

The car was parked, our reservation was checked directly at the entrance and we were allowed upstairs, where we were greeted and shown to our table in the restaurant area.

Our table was strategically placed, we could watch the coming and going, Russians/Ukrainians in mini skirts and fur jackets - at 22 degrees outside temperature.

We started with Seabream in a light marinade with a citrus note, sashimi of Toro and sea bream.

The Toro in particular was excellent, Marina surprised that tuna can be different from the dark red crap that we get served at home. It continued with my favorite sushi of mackerel, tamago and an unagi roll, with excellent ginger and real wasabi.

Marina was particularly impressed by the Unagi Role - and why it isn't served in such a quality, with such a taste at home.

The starters were followed by my personal highlight, miso-marinated Black Cod, one of ZUMA's signature dishes, broccoli with citrus-garlic flakes as a side.

What can I say, the Black Cod melted in our mouths, the taste wonderful, plus the firm broccoli (I usually hate broccoli). Simply a sensation, but not cheap.

Marina tried cold Sake and found the intense alcoholic taste just terrible - I can understand.

At the end we shared a chocolate dessert,

the bill came to about US$ 250 including 2 coke lights. I had expected more.

We drove back to the hotel, where we arrived shortly after 0100.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.