The 2020 Pandemic Chronicles - North America Chapter

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2020 Pandemic Chronicles - North America Chapter

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2021, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC

Dodger Stadium

U Turn above Downtown LA

Interstate 110

Inglewood

SoFi Stadium still being constructed

Interstate 405

What are all these New Constructions?

Touchdown at LAX

Long Way from Runway 24R to Eagle Terminal

American Airlines Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner

Part 13 Continues Below
offerendum and lamphs like this.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Bradley West Terminal being built

Tom Bradley Terminal

British Airways Boeing 747-400

Terminal 4

American Airlines Boeing 737-800

Asiana Airlines Boeing 777-200

Terminal 5

Terminal 6

Rush Hour on Sepulveda Boulevard

Finally Eagle Terminal

Gate 52H on Arrival

At LAX

American Eagle Embraer 175 Business Class Quick Review
Check-In – Zero wait on a boring thursday midday experience. 👍
No airline truly offers a “Premium” Check-in experience in YVR 😔

Security – No Wait Again 🙌
The YVR experience is the following.
You lug your checked bag to the dropoff belt where a photo is taken before its taken down to the basement.
Then proceed through security like normal, then you go through US CBP checkpoint.
If the CBP is unsatisfied with your answer, then they can relay your checked bags “from the photo” from downstairs to extra checks.

Lounge – No access for this adventure 😐
There's only 2 lounge on the YVR transborder section.
Air Canada Maple Leaf Club which overlooks the apron and a Plaza Premium lounge which is interior facing.

Boarding – With no CK for this flight, Group 1 (Business Class passengers) were first to board. 🙂

Cabin Ambiance – Hard to Describe, it's Cozy? 🤔
Granted Overhead space is always going to be tight on this plane

Seat – As a Single Traveler a fair amount of time, I love the single seats on the 175. 😍

Food – Reminder to self, stick with salads in the future 🤦‍♂️
The Wrap tasted like High School Sandpaper. 🤮
I wish airlines would look into a Cold Soba or Udon Noodle salad with a Protein for these kind of flights.

Entertainment – BYOB or BYOD 📖
Bring your own Book or Device!

Crew – Regional crew are generally better than Mainline counterparts.
For today's exercise, The FA up front went back to the Economy cart to grab extra Biscoffs for me
Wasn't feeling the cold nuts 😆

Overall Impression – As far as Regional Jets and 2-3 hrs flights are concerned, I like this bird. 🙂

Next Part
Part 14 – Fooling Around with CFC, American Airlines Airbus 321-200 First LAX-DFW
lamphs likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 5:23 pm

Nice to see you continuing this report. Gives us all inspiration for future travels! (And great commentary!)
Old Mar 6, 2021, 1:19 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Diamond; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Great report and fascinating to read. I've been enjoying it. You also got some really nice pictures of Mount Rainier and Mount Adams there on your way south from YVR. Being from Seattle, I see you had fairly amazing weather in Vancouver with an actual clear day.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
What would I give for flying into LAX right now
Old Mar 6, 2021, 8:21 am

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by offerendum
I wouldn't want to when things are like now. In Sweden covid has apparently been abolished when you look at how many people go on ski trips etc. Abroad it still seems different and I don't think I'd enjoy it.

@SHF,
you managed to squeeze in quite a lot just before covid hit the fan. Impressive.

Enjoying your sometimes cynical comments too. My only visit to Vancouver was during the Olympics. I really liked the place then but I'm not naďve enough to think it would be the same at another time. Vancouver is stil on my bucket list for another visit although probably not in February.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Fredrik74
I wouldn't want to when things are like now. In Sweden covid has apparently been abolished when you look at how many people go on ski trips etc. Abroad it still seems different and I don't think I'd
To make it clear: Me too. So more accurate: In the "former" LAX
Old Mar 7, 2021, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lamphs
Nice to see you continuing this report. Gives us all inspiration for future travels! (And great commentary!)
Thanks lamphs 👍
Goal is to put a minimum of 1 Part per week, unless there's a natural divide between the trips themselves.

As for inspiration, a more inspiring report might be better suited for travel previously to the Silk Road, or Island Hopper or even say Lebanon 😉

Originally Posted by greg5
Great report and fascinating to read. I've been enjoying it. You also got some really nice pictures of Mount Rainier and Mount Adams there on your way south from YVR. Being from Seattle, I see you had fairly amazing weather in Vancouver with an actual clear day.
Funny you mentioned it greg5, the last 5 days before flying out were.
Rain 🌧️
Rain 🌧️
Rain > Overcast 🌧️
Overcast > Rain 🌧️
Overcast > Rain 🌧️

It was also raining on the way to the airport too, only around take-off time was there a lull on the Rain 😨
Then the moment you fly across the 49th Parallel, its like you flew past an invisible wall and the skies cleared up 🙎‍♂️

I'm rather thankful for this year's La Nina, trade a few degrees cooler for way less Rain.
It's felt like there's been more sun this winter then years past. 😎

Originally Posted by offerendum
Depends how desperate you are offerendum, find a Third Country to sit your "Out of EU" 14 day clock 😂
Can you get yourself your preferred vaccine at LAX? 🤔

Originally Posted by Fredrik74
I wouldn't want to when things are like now. In Sweden covid has apparently been abolished when you look at how many people go on ski trips etc. Abroad it still seems different and I don't think I'd enjoy it.

@SHF,
you managed to squeeze in quite a lot just before covid hit the fan. Impressive.

Enjoying your sometimes cynical comments too. My only visit to Vancouver was during the Olympics. I really liked the place then but I'm not naďve enough to think it would be the same at another time. Vancouver is still on my bucket list for another visit although probably not in February.
Fredrik74, I've 95% grounded myself as well.
There's only so much 14 day self or hotel quarantine + PCR testing one can put up with for every switcheroo.

So for now, I only do local daytrips at the moment or I ain't going.
Kinda glad i've been away for so long, there's enough stuff here to keep myself from going wacko 🤪

Personally I wonder if we would ever see scholarly articles in the future tying the connections between cultures - virus.
I don't think it's a fluke why the virus causes a bigger issue in the US, EU and subcontinent, and less so in the Far East and Oceania.

If there wasn't a EU freedom of movement, I bet we would've seen an even pronounced difference in case level or deaths between different EU member states.
And then there's the disease control, should that be tied into a National Defense/Security issue in the future?

On the squeeze, I'm not sure whether to characterize it as foresight, reckless, or sheer dumb luck.

For Vancouver, greatest issue by far is the DTES.
Walk a block too far in Gastown and you'll understand what I mean 😲
Old Mar 10, 2021, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Part 14 – Fooling Around with CFC, American Airlines Airbus 321-200 First LAX-DFW

When I originally booked this ticket to GUA, the goal was to have a daytime arrival into Guatemala.
Firstly because its a new country, I would've preferred to have some daytime landing photos.
Second was for safety reason, I believe it would be better on the safety front not to land at midnight into a new country if it can be avoided.

Henceforth why I ended up flying YVR-LAX-DFW-GUA, even though there was a logical YVR-DFW-GUA that could've got me there in 1 shot.

Eventually the flights I settled with had a 3:30 connection in LAX, and a 10:25 overnight connection in DFW because that combo provided the best price. 👍

Granted that flight combo was not the end goal, why should I go find a place to sleep in DFW if I can just wine and dine in LAX and fly on the red-eye 😁

LAX – DFW Flight Choices
Arrival into LAX 4:20pm
AA 2484 LAX 7:54pm – DFW 0:50am(+1) 321 <ORIGINAL>
AA 2254 LAX 11:59pm – DFW 4:59am (+1) 321 <STANDBY CLEARED AT GATE>
AA 2424 LAX 1:13am – DFW 6:09am 738 <CFC>
Departing DFW at 11:15am

The end result were rather funny and hilarious. 😆
I was originally able to CFC to 2424 24 hours out, and normally the later red-eye is my personal preferred LAX-DFW choice. 🤔
However inside the 24 hr window, my DFW client was able to confirm an Airside Breakfast meeting and this makes the earlier red-eye more attractive.
One should always try to freshen up before meeting a client! 💡

This is where my dilemma kicks in, since the LAX-DFW flight is now 'officially' 28th, I couldn't CFC back up to 2254 LOL 🙄
D'OH!!! 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
Ok standby it is 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Feb 27, 2020 – Thursday
AA 2254 LAX – DFW 11:59pm – 4:59am(+1) [Feb 28] (321/F)

After entering into the Eagle Terminal, I quickly made my way to the Terminal 4 shuttle bus.

American Airlines Airbus 321-200NEO

*At Terminal 4

10 Minutes later, I was dumped at Gate 44, I went to the Flagship Lounge first.
Why, I had some printings required for the trip and simply wanted to get the monkey off my back, and a work call at 530pm Pacific.

Luckily all the troubles were cleared up by 630pm and I made my way to Qantas First Class Lounge via the Bradley connector.

LAX Qantas Airways First Class Lounge

After a much needed shower, I settled down at the restaurant for a nice 5 Course meal.
Best Meal of the Trip Guaranteed! 😋😋😋

Bar and Restaurant Section

LAX Qantas Airways First Class Office

*From a previous visit

LAX Qantas First Class 2019 Winter Menu

A Glass of Taittinger Bruv NV

Appetizer and Soup

Soup, Green Pea and Spinach Soup with Lemon Creme Fraiche

Part 14 Continues Below
lamphs likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Appetizer, Crispy Duck Salad with Cucumber, Pickled Wombok, and Roasted Sesame

Main Course, Black Angus Minute Steak with Chipotle Butter and Lime with Side of Chips

Fruits and Desserts with House Made Iced Tea

Seasonal Fruit Plate

Dessert, Ice Cream Sundae with Raspberry, Chocolate Sauce and Toasted Coconut

What else can I say, I love this lounge 😍😍
I couldn't imagine if I was LAX based and there were $39 Basic Economy LAX-LAS fare, the airfare alone is easily worth the nice meal.

As the lounge was getting full with passengers traveling on overnight long haul flights, I decided to go back to the AA Flagship Lounge for a quieter experience.

LAX American Airlines Flagship Lounge

Part 14 Continues Below
lamphs and roadwarrier like this.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Self Serve Food Area

Bar Drinks

Just how quiet was the AA Flagship lounge?
With no HKG flight operating due to the virus, deadly flatline quiet at 1030pm. 😑
Less than 10 Guest, my guess was 5 guest or so 😮
Why AA kept this section opened until 0:30am, I don't know but it ain't my problem 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

As for upcoming the LAX-DFW flight, if there was any deep hatred I hold about how DUI Dougie runs American, look no further to its 321 Fleet
If you like premium product, then then yes to AA 321T fleet (LAA 10F/20J/36Y+/36Y with Power/IFE).
321T is great, but the rest, yeesh 😡😡

As for the rest of the 321S/321H fleet, you have a 4 different configuration
LAA 16J/36Y+/129Y with Power/IFE
LAA 20J/35Y+/135Y with Power
LUS 16J/15Y+/156Y
LUS 20J/35Y+/135Y with Power

The final goal 20J/35Y+/135Y for the 321 fleet with Power but no IFE.

And on top of that, you also throw in the new American 321NEO with 20J/47Y+/129Y.
All I can say is, Fleet Planner I pity you 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Unfortunately the original inbound for 2254 was a 32Q, N414AL to be exact.
The inbound DFW-LAX it was scheduled to operate was only its 2nd revenue flight ever.

And even though I do like new plane smell, how rare is new plane smell afterall? 🤩
New plane always seem to have teething trouble and this bird died in DFW after running late on TUL-DFW.
Luckily at least AA found a replacement, which was a 321S running 2 hours late. 🤷‍♂️

American Airlines Airbus 321-200

*Inbound on chock at 11:45pm

I cleaned up and made my way down to the Gate 41 once the 321S was on chock.

*9th flight of the Trip, 13959 Miles Flown
American Airlines 2254
Los Angeles to Dallas Ft. Worth
Scheduled - 11:59pm – 4:59am(+1), 3 Hr flight
Delayed Departure – 0:36am, Aircraft Late Arrival/AA2697-DFW, Aircraft Swap/Out of Service
Delayed Arrival – 5:20am
First Class, Seat 1A
Food – Refreshment
Equipment – Airbus 321-200 (16J/36Y+/129Y) Enhanced Configuration “N142AN”

21 Minutes Delay

Another Rolling Delay, now 41 Minutes Delay

*As a Confirmed First Class with OW Emerald, I jumped to the top of the list

However since I went to the gate a bit later than i'm supposed to, I cleared into First but didn't get a choice of seats even though 3 people (including myself) got onto the First Class of 2254.

And finally at 0:10am, the gate agents were ready to board 2254, and the gate was of course a scrum battle between CK, Group 1, 2, and 3 trying to get on the plane LOL 🙄

American Airlines Airbus 321-200 First Class Seat

Concierge Key Cadillac SUV

An IFE that hasn't been Ripped out Yet

American Airlines Entertainment System

2 Hours 18 Minutes for tonight's Red Eye to Dallas Ft. Worth

Part 14 Continues Below
lamphs likes this.

Last edited by Short hair Francis; Mar 25, 2021 at 2:35 pm
Old Mar 10, 2021, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Door were Closed at 0:36am and Pushback at 0:41am from Gate 41

Quick Taxi down to Runway 25R and Taking off at 0:57am

Then the usual big 180 U-Turn south of Long Beach

Running roughly 30 Minutes behind schedule tonight

With No Appetite for Cookies or the Snack Basket, I just went a Glass of Water tonight.

Then proceeded to pass out for the next 1 Hr 45 Mins until descent into DFW 😴😴

Cabin was quickly cleaned up 15 Mins Prior to Landing

DFW Still Very Quiet at 5:10am

Can Vaguely makeout AT&T Stadium and Globe Life Park in Arlington

With no holding at this early hour, 2254 landed on 36L at 5:15am and quick taxi over to A24 and on chock at 5:20am.

Virus News
Feb 27, 2020 – World harshens its virus response as epidemic worsens by day
Reference - https://apnews.com/1631a414cfba8ae39...ampaign=buffer

Feb 27, 2020 – Europe's coronavirus outbreak is exposing and fueling its rifts
Reference - https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...rs/4894784002/

Feb 27, 2020 – Italy plays down coronavirus risk as death toll rises, cases jump
Reference - https://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...-idUSKCN20L13W

Feb 27, 2020 – Cases soar in Italy, Iran and South Korea as Alarm Grows
Reference - https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/27/w...irus-news.html

Feb 27, 2020 – Doctors Inside Iran believe Coronavirus is more serious than reported, and Getting Worse
Reference - https://time.com/5791516/iran-doctor...s-middle-east/

Feb 27, 2020 – Saudi Arabia halts pilgrimages over virus
Reference - https://www.pbs.org/newshour/world/s...ges-over-virus

Feb 27, 2020 – 'Corona beer virus' and 'Beer Coronavirus' searches increase as fears of outbreak spread

Feb 27, 2020 – U.N. Asks world to fight virus-spawned discrimination

American Airlines Airbus 321-200S Domestic First Class Quick Review
Check-in – Non-Applicable

Security – Non-Applicable
Shuttle Wait was under 2 Minutes from Eagle Terminal, and Transfer Time from Eagle Terminal to Gate 44 dropoff point was ~10 Minutes.

Lounge (QF First) – If one doesn't have access to AA Flagship Dining by virtue of 3 Class First flying, this is by far the best North American lounge accessible with Oneworld Emerald status. 👍👍

Lounge (AA Flagship) – If QF First is the Yin, let AA Flagship be the Yang. ☯️
Great View of T4 and TBIT tarmac traffic, faster wifi than QF First. 😊
What's stopping you from having a meal at QF First then working at this side with a good view? 😆
Granted there is exponentially more foot traffic here vs. QF First, since both longhaul Business, and Oneworld Sapphire all qualify to enter AA Flagship Lounge.

Boarding – Rolling Delays on a Airbus 321 on Domestic US flight?
I'm shocked people don't fight at the gates more often. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
Some of the crowd was also displeased they got bumped out of MCE with the 321Neo > 321S 😤😤
And it really does take a solid 35-40 minutes to board a 321 in North America ☹️
Maybe NK was right afterall, charge less for checked bag and more for carryon to faster boarding time.

Cabin Ambiance – Another 00's Generation cabin, I truly wonder how this cabin would look if AA installed the Zodiac Smartbin mods and some mood lighting on this Bird 🤔🤔
Back to Reality, AA and Zodiac talking after the Concept D seat disaster 😂😂
Maybe when Pigs can Fly perhaps 🐷🐷🐷

Seat – Again, for 2-3.5 Hr non-redeye flight, this seat isn't half bad for with IFE at 38 inches pitch. 😐
I would still avoid it like the plague on 6 hr mission, say MIA-SEA.
Worst Part of about AA Fleet Planning, no one has an iota of an idea which seat they will until 24-48 hrs out (double verify with FR24) 😒😒😒
And this 321 Enhanced seat is not longed for this world either. 😢

Food – Non Transcon AA Red-eye? Go Eat Yourself! 🙄🙄
Eat before you show up please, unless you really like Nuts and Cookies. 😦

Entertainment – The most redeeming part of this plane, a Great Domestic IFE product. 😃
If AA was willing to spend some money (Pre-Virus) and installed this domestic product fleetwide, the 738 and 321 Enhanced could give DL a decent run for its money

Crew – They got everyone settled in quickly and kept the cabin dim and quiet on a short red-eye.
Not asking much more on a short red-eye 🙂

Overall Impression – LAX-DFW will always be a Rough Red-Eye from a Body Endurance perspective. 😫
DelAAyed, Underwhelmed, what else is new in the AA ran under Dougie? 🤷‍♂️
What do you expect from an Entitled C-Suite who think “We'll Never Lose Money Again” 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

The fact there is no normalcy between AA's domestic product is a glaringly annoying factor. 👿👿
Customers don't like playing product roulette, period. 😒😒
They want product consistency so they can do their own Cost vs. Benefit analysis.

Next Part
Part 15 – Yes Really, AA is Going for Great, American Airlines Boeing 737-800 First DFW-GUA
lamphs and roadwarrier like this.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 10:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
You were in my neck of the woods, lots of familiar sights
Short hair Francis likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wakesetter93
You were in my neck of the woods, lots of familiar sights
wakesetter93, now how does a Platinum Pro get into the Qantas First Class Lounge 😁😁
Sadly the DFW metroplex is kinda sad for aerial photos 🙁
tedcruz likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 11:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
wakesetter93, now how does a Platinum Pro get into the Qantas First Class Lounge 😁😁
Sadly the DFW metroplex is kinda sad for aerial photos 🙁
By flying in paid First of course
DFW is pretty flat and with the exception of a few lakes it's the definition of urban sprawl. Thankfully I'm in town and not out in suburbia

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.