36 hours in Dubai via Emirates Incredible New First Class Suites

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

36 hours in Dubai via Emirates Incredible New First Class Suites

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2020, 1:57 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Superb report as always & rekindled memories of my 5 years of living at Dubai Marina, very close to Grosvenor House Hotel & visiting all of the venues mentioned in this report!
cmd320 likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
SFO777 didn't have as many hoops to cross for UAE and Croatia, but that's not the case out in the Far East.

This is the hoop list for HK back in August, and its gotten even stricter since then.

1. Completed Health declaration Entry form (QR code or Paper)
2. Make sure have the Quarantine App downloaded or loaner phone
3. Pick up Quarantine and Testing Paper from Health Officer
4. Immigration (like usual)
5. Pick up Checked bags (like usual)
6. Customs (like usual)
7. Go on testing bus at arrival level
8. Get to Expo testing site and drop off your bags
9. Get back on the bus and swing to the testing side
10. Get off the bus and pick up testing kits
11. Go to the Privacy booth and do your thing
12. Drop off your samples and walk across the expo to pick up overnight papers + water + sandwiches
13. Wait for prelim clearance for hotel papers (this took the longest)
14. Pick up hotel papers/room assignment, get your bags back and go on the hotel bus.
15. Ride the hotel bus/45 min into the city
16. Get to hotel, carry your bags, receive keycard, dinner box and go up to room. (Keycard can only be use once and there will be guards in the hallway overnight)
17. Breakfast hanged at your door handle at 8am-9am
18. Wait for Clearance phone call in room between 10am-2pm
19. Go back to lobby with your items, health official will double confirmed your quarantine papers and your test were negative.
20. Return keycard and walk out the hotel door, you now must get home in 2 hrs
21. Get home and activate the home quarantine app
22. Return samples via family/friends/carrier by Day 11
Violators are subject to 25000 HKD penalty and 6 Month Jail, and yes, they have sent people to Jail.
Yikes. Yeah, that would tend to discourage, most leisure travel.

Originally Posted by NoY
Superb report as always & rekindled memories of my 5 years of living at Dubai Marina, very close to Grosvenor House Hotel & visiting all of the venues mentioned in this report!
Thanks very much NoY. That was the first time in 6 visits that I had been to Dubai Marina. What a special place to live. Will definitely go back again.
NoY likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
This is the hoop list for HK back in August, and its gotten even stricter since then.

1. Completed Health declaration Entry form (QR code or Paper)
2. Make sure have the Quarantine App downloaded or loaner phone
3. Pick up Quarantine and Testing Paper from Health Officer
4. Immigration (like usual)
5. Pick up Checked bags (like usual)
6. Customs (like usual)
7. Go on testing bus at arrival level
8. Get to Expo testing site and drop off your bags
9. Get back on the bus and swing to the testing side
10. Get off the bus and pick up testing kits
11. Go to the Privacy booth and do your thing
12. Drop off your samples and walk across the expo to pick up overnight papers + water + sandwiches
13. Wait for prelim clearance for hotel papers (this took the longest)
14. Pick up hotel papers/room assignment, get your bags back and go on the hotel bus.
15. Ride the hotel bus/45 min into the city
16. Get to hotel, carry your bags, receive keycard, dinner box and go up to room. (Keycard can only be use once and there will be guards in the hallway overnight)
17. Breakfast hanged at your door handle at 8am-9am
18. Wait for Clearance phone call in room between 10am-2pm
19. Go back to lobby with your items, health official will double confirmed your quarantine papers and your test were negative.
20. Return keycard and walk out the hotel door, you now must get home in 2 hrs
21. Get home and activate the home quarantine app
22. Return samples via family/friends/carrier by Day 11

Violators are subject to 25000 HKD penalty and 6 Month Jail, and yes, they have sent people to Jail.
For a leisure traveler this rules makes it nearly imposaible to travel. Even with good reason most people would think twice.
not2017 likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Duck1981
I am German so technically not a Brit, but I go to the pub tonight as in London the lockdown is over
To be back with full force unfortunately
Old Dec 20, 2020, 10:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by offerendum
To be back with full force unfortunately
and to make things even worse, guess by midnight tonight I am locked in here on the island
offerendum likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 6:26 pm

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by SFO777
Yikes. Yeah, that would tend to discourage, most leisure travel.
Originally Posted by offerendum
For a leisure traveler this rules makes it nearly impossible to travel. Even with good reason most people would think twice.
Well that's kinda the point LOL , my travels gone down to 2x in/out HKG and I wouldn't be flying if it wasn't 99.9% Essential Travel.
Even those restrictions and it's still not guarantee you won't get cases from elsewhere

Now it's
Low/Medium Risk - 14 Day Hotel Quarantine (Self Pay), Test on Arrival, +10 Days, +19 Days
High Risk - 14 Day Hotel Quarantine (Self Pay), Test <72 Hrs Prior to Departure, on Arrival, +10 Days, +19 Days

Oh except China/Macau/Taiwan Arrivals, we can't angry the Emperor,, 14 Days Self Quarantine or PCR Test Scheme.

I believe HKG was seeing in/out of airport at under 2000 Passengers for the entire day in November
Data for anyone curious
https://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/message_...stat_menu.html
offerendum and not2017 like this.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 12:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold
Well that's kinda the point LOL , my travels gone down to 2x in/out HKG and I wouldn't be flying if it wasn't 99.9% Essential Travel.
Even those restrictions and it's still not guarantee you won't get cases from elsewhere

Now it's
Low/Medium Risk - 14 Day Hotel Quarantine (Self Pay), Test on Arrival, +10 Days, +19 Days
High Risk - 14 Day Hotel Quarantine (Self Pay), Test <72 Hrs Prior to Departure, on Arrival, +10 Days, +19 Days

Oh except China/Macau/Taiwan Arrivals, we can't angry the Emperor,, 14 Days Self Quarantine or PCR Test Scheme.

I believe HKG was seeing in/out of airport at under 2000 Passengers for the entire day in November
Data for anyone curious
https://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/message_...stat_menu.html

Not to mention no leasure travel at all, no entry unless HK Citizen/PR/Married to one. I am with you, did March-June in HK, had to go back to US, now Nov-Jan in HK before I have to go back on essential business I cant put off anymore. Even did a 14 day honeymoon/hotel Q avoidance trip with the wife to DXB on the way back to HK in october, only to have them make everyone stay at a hotel for 14 days less than a week after we got back. Thankfully we avoided that one.
not2017 likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2020, 8:50 am

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by IWontRegretThis
Not to mention no leasure travel at all, no entry unless HK Citizen/PR/Married to one. I am with you, did March-June in HK, had to go back to US, now Nov-Jan in HK before I have to go back on essential business I cant put off anymore. Even did a 14 day honeymoon/hotel Q avoidance trip with the wife to DXB on the way back to HK in october, only to have them make everyone stay at a hotel for 14 days less than a week after we got back. Thankfully we avoided that one.
You should consider yourself very lucky, since HK just changed it to 21 Day Hotel Quarantine.
not2017 likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2020, 10:47 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Great report as always! Wife and I are doing DXB in a few weeks, glad to see things are relatively normal.

I flew on a pretty empty LAX-SIN SQ flight last week and masking wearing in J was not strictly enforced, it didn't really bother me considering we had about four others in business. Our connecting flight to CGK had mediocre enforcement as well. Great SQ crews on all flights but transit in SIN was an experience.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 4:24 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
I'm late to the party but very much enjoyed your report SFO777, as always.
Also, it came in handy yesterday when I was sitting at the exact same spot as you in the temporary EK F lounge in DXB because I didn't know what to drink with my wagyu burger until I remembered that you said something about a very good red...
It was fantastic indeed but I didn't manage to finish the bottle either because I only had 30 minutes and Mrs JohnRain doesn't drink.
Happy New Year to you and to everyone on FT!

not2017 and tallinnman like this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gpeso8
Great report as always! Wife and I are doing DXB in a few weeks, glad to see things are relatively normal. I flew on a pretty empty LAX-SIN SQ flight last week and masking wearing in J was not strictly enforced, it didn't really bother me considering we had about four others in business. Our connecting flight to CGK had mediocre enforcement as well. Great SQ crews on all flights but transit in SIN was an experience.
Thank you so much gpeso8. I'd say that only 4 other pax in J is excellent social distancing. Enjoy your visit to Dubai.

Originally Posted by JohnRain
I'm late to the party but very much enjoyed your report SFO777, as always. Also, it came in handy yesterday when I was sitting at the exact same spot as you in the temporary EK F lounge in DXB because I didn't know what to drink with my wagyu burger until I remembered that you said something about a very good red... It was fantastic indeed but I didn't manage to finish the bottle either because I only had 30 minutes and Mrs JohnRain doesn't drink.
Happy New Year to you and to everyone on FT!

Thanks very much JohnRain. Glad to see that the Eisele is still available and that you enjoyed it as much as we did. I bought a bottle for Christmas dinner and Mrs. SFO777 proclaimed it the best red she has ever tasted. "Tastes like candy" was one of her best comments. Usually, I get to drink about 2/3 of any bottle we have but she made sure that we split it 50/50.
JohnRain and not2017 like this.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 8:25 am

I’m so happy I listened to you about traveling (outside of CA during the holidays)—we had no problems leaving or returning home. We had an amazing 2-week ski trip to CO (Vail and Beaver Creek) ate indoors for all meals and used the spa/hot tub/pool/gym, etc. Our pre-Xmas eve meal at Matsuhisa Vail (omakase) was spectacular!! Such a downer to fly back to SFO, but the ‘2-week mandatory travel quarantine’ is a joke... we’re all healthy and much happier for having traveled and wanted to thank you for providing some sanity during this insane time 👍🏼
not2017 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFCAmom
I’m so happy I listened to you about traveling (outside of CA during the holidays)—we had no problems leaving or returning home. We had an amazing 2-week ski trip to CO (Vail and Beaver Creek) ate indoors for all meals and used the spa/hot tub/pool/gym, etc. Our pre-Xmas eve meal at Matsuhisa Vail (omakase) was spectacular!! Such a downer to fly back to SFO, but the ‘2-week mandatory travel quarantine’ is a joke... we’re all healthy and much happier for having traveled and wanted to thank you for providing some sanity during this insane time 👍🏼
So glad to hear that you and the family had a fantastic two weeks skiing in Colorado. It’s amazing how normal much of the country is when you get away from the insanity of many coastal governors and mayors.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 5:07 am

Very nice trip report, enjoyed reading about some actual travel taking place!

How did it feel in Dubai regarding Covid? Thinking about flying back to Europe for a family visit from HK and realized it might be possible to stop by Dubai for a couple of days along the way. Did you have to do a test and wait for the result at Dubai, or bringing a negative test to check-in was fine. Were most things operating? How busy is the city?
Old Jan 4, 2021, 1:11 pm

Thanks for another excellent trip report.

2020 was a catastrophic year from a travel perspective for me and the wife. We’ve always travelled as much as humanly possible but Covid-19 stopped everything and we’ve been stuck in Sweden since March. Fortunately, we’ve been able to travel domestically and not been under lockdown (and even more fortunately, we’ve both stayed healthy), but I’m getting closer and closer to insanity for each passing day. This report gave us some hope again and we just booked a trip to Dubai. Thanks SFO777!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.