Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Delta TATL during the time of Corona

Old Nov 13, 20, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat, United Plat, Amex Plat, Hotels.com Gold, Hertz 5 star, WMATA smartrip card

It had been eight months since I'd flown and desperately needed a break from the disease-ridden land I call home. Because of said disease-ridden state, the options for Americans are limited these days. The EU is a no-go; so is much of Asia and even Canada.

Turkey, however, is open to any and all -- at least for now. I happen to love Turkey so booked a six day trip to Istanbul and environs.

As a DL platinum, I opted for a Skyteam routing: DCA-JFK-AMS-IST. This trip report covers the most interesting leg, the, shall we say, sparsely populated TATL leg.

JFK-AMS
November 2020
Delta Airbus A330

At eerily quiet JFK T4 for a four-hour layover, I began my vacation at the Skyclub. Hot food is no longer a buffet but served by a friendly lady, cafeteria style. No mystery meat, I'm happy to report.

I opted for chicken, rice, veggies, and a glass of sparkling wine.

The skydeck was open on this unseasonably warm day.

After a few more tipples, I decided to check out a new addition to T4 that I had not yet experienced: Amex's New Centurion lounge.

There were, by my count, literally two other pax in this double decker affair. I had a drink both on the top floor and in the windowless "speakeasy" lounge on the floor below.

With boarding time fast approaching I took the long walk back to my gate. As I suspected, boarding was .... an easy affair. By the time I arrived, about 30 minutes before scheduled departure, I was the only one embarking.

This wasn't the only clue tonight's load would be rather light. After I entered the empty cabin, I was ambushed by three FAs who greeted me by name. One handed me a hand-written card welcoming me back on my first flight after eight months and offered me a bottle of water. It was a lovely gesture!
Old Nov 13, 20, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat, United Plat, Amex Plat, Hotels.com Gold, Hertz 5 star, WMATA smartrip card
There was one other passenger in my economy plus cabin -- the FA informed tonight's passenger count was....thirteen. Yes, thirteen.

After a pretty quick taxi and takeoff, we were offered a full bar service and choice of two hot meals. I opted for the pasta and a Sweetwater IPA. That polished off, I took an entire aisle and made myself a flat-bed in poor man's business class.

I skipped the cinnamon rolls that were served about an hour prior to our arrival into still pitch black Schipol. After that I proceeded to the KLM Crown lounge to while away four or so hours.

Thank you for reading!

Bonus Content:
Beautiful Istanbul sunset and my first class service on the DCA-JFK leg:

Old Nov 14, 20, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
Great, thanks for posting! Definitely proof that DL TATL Y has better service than domestic D1 these days.
Old Nov 15, 20, 2:30 am

Programs: Non-Rev, SkyMiles, Global Entry
Great report, and as said above looks like the big D is offering a better product in TATL Y then they are in domestic F/D1.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Nov 15, 20, 3:45 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Such a luxury having so many open seats to yourself!!

Hope to read more of your TR - I enjoy going to IST, and as you said, eight months is a loooooong time at home. I have my first trip this week, and I am like a kid going to a candy store.
koreanair720 likes this.
Old Nov 21, 20, 10:04 pm

haha poor man's business, love it!
koreanair720 likes this.
Old Nov 24, 20, 9:43 am

Programs: DL
Any tests etc per Covid restrictions?

Great news and love DL. Curious what hoops as to Covid tests etc you had to hurdle either in US, AMS and/ or IST? And where did you stay in Istanbul? Iíve been there 7x and love it and people...thought it might make a great escape during these crazy days.
also, as I have Global Upgrade coupons I fear wonít get used by July 2021 ( unless DL extends) wonder what you observed of First Class .
Old Nov 25, 20, 5:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by geraldj100 View Post
Great news and love DL. Curious what hoops as to Covid tests etc you had to hurdle either in US, AMS and/ or IST? And where did you stay in Istanbul? Iíve been there 7x and love it and people...thought it might make a great escape during these crazy days.
also, as I have Global Upgrade coupons I fear wonít get used by July 2021 ( unless DL extends) wonder what you observed of First Class .
Hi there! Zero tests anywhere -- Turkey has (one of the very few!) "come as you are" policies...they did thermal imaging at the airport and nothing else. You don't need to do anything to transit at AMS, and, true to form, the US does nothing at the border either.

Interestingly, Turkey seems to have stricter COVID rules in place than anywhere in the US. *Every* building I entered had temperature checks, for instance. I stayed at the Marmara Pera -- a somewhat dated Four Star with a terrific location and great views (as you can see above!)

Also -- Turkey announced a six week lockdown the week after I left, so you might want to delay your trip

Didn't see much of FC.

Lucky you to be in PDX...I lived there for seven years.
Old Nov 25, 20, 5:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by roadwarrier View Post
Such a luxury having so many open seats to yourself!!

Hope to read more of your TR - I enjoy going to IST, and as you said, eight months is a loooooong time at home. I have my first trip this week, and I am like a kid going to a candy store.
Thank you! Enjoy your trip (Where are you off to?)

Here is one I did from last year -- domestic flying in Bangladesh!
TRIP REPORT: Domestic flying in Bangladesh. Dhaka-Cox's Bazar on Novoair - FlyerTalk Forums
Old Nov 26, 20, 9:12 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Originally Posted by koreanair720 View Post
Thank you! Enjoy your trip (Where are you off to?)

Here is one I did from last year -- domestic flying in Bangladesh!
TRIP REPORT: Domestic flying in Bangladesh. Dhaka-Cox's Bazar on Novoair - FlyerTalk Forums
I did a quick trip to Mozambique - Beira to be exact. So away from the nonsense up North, but away from the bustle of the capital, Maputo, in the south. Just getting a boxed meal and some lousy wine in a plastic cup was enough to make me giddy with excitement. (I am very easy to please).
koreanair720 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: