Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

A Trip to Canada's Breadbasket in Killarney, Manitoba via Air Canada Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Trip to Canada's Breadbasket in Killarney, Manitoba via Air Canada Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2020, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle

Review: Air Canada Business Class, CRJ-900, Winnipeg – Vancouver “Pandemic Edition”

“Flying during a pandemic continues to be unpredictable. Aircraft substitutions, a lack of open restaurants and changes in the service can make for a different and fluid flying experience”

My flight was home was pretty entertaining. In many ways, much of the fun of business class was vaccumed away for my travels for this particular segment.

I had a little extra time to kill, having gotten to the airport about three hours before my flight home. As I was returning the rental car, I happened to notice an Antonov A-124 heavy lift plane parked on the apron. Unlike my drive up from Killarney, which had intermittent rain, it happened to be a dry spell so I wandered over to the fence and stuck my SLR camera through the chain link fence in order to take some photographs.

I ran the registration through Flight Aware and learned that the plane had flown in from Trieste – Reyjavik – Winnpeg to drop off or pick up some obsure item. The only time I’d ever happened to see an Antonov cargo plane was when I was passing through Beijing Capital Airport. After plane spotting, I burned up some time seated outside the departures drop off area since the inside of the terminal had turned into a mandatory mask zone after we had arrived on Monday per the provincial health authorities.

The Winnipeg James Richardson Airport is a bright new terminal. It was named after James Richardson. As a pioneer in Canadian Northern Aviation, he founded Canadian Airlines and was initially one of the largest airlines in the British Commonwealth. There is a large statute of him in a coat at the east end of the terminal.

It was pretty dead in the terminal thanks to very few flights departing on pandemic Wednesday.

You know it’s Canada when a Polar Bear is used as a Measure Reference for Social Distancing

Heading through security, CATSA did a temperature check on the forehead. They had an expensive tripod sensor set up but like many government procurement projects it didn’t work as advertised. As a result, I was wanded with a hand held thermometer variety on the forehead.

It was a security screening field day with only 2 in line at the screeners. They quickly got overwhelmed while I was standing there thanks to only one lane open and some over zealous screeners. I had both laptops swabbed in secondary, and a “random” examination of my belt and hands with the explosives tester.

I went off to explore the lounge situation. The airport was sewn up pretty tight.

The Plaza Premium Lounge, which is part of the American Express Lounge collection and a member of Priority Pass was situated closest to security. Unfortunately, it was completely closed up.

Out of Luck with not enough travellers to make back the expenses of being open

I headed down the concourse to the Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge and they hadn’t bothered to open up by this time either. So much for those ideas.

Closed “while we adopt to this dynamic situation”

The departure concourse was pretty much shut down, despite being a weekday.

With that, I found a nice corner of the airport and hung out for a while and entertained myself with the free wifi. Aside from one lounge, the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory and a newspaper stand, there wasn’t anything open at all.
Air Canada
AC 299 – Business Class (P) – “Pandemic Edition”
YWG – YVR (Winnipeg James Richardson International Airport – Vancouver International Airport)
Sept 30, 2020
Scheduled: 5:20 PM – 6:19 PM
Booked: Airbus 320
Flown: Canadair Regional Jet – 900
(downgauged to AC Express)
While waiting for boarding, a friendly gate dragon happened to announce that there would be no in flight catering at all; with only soft drinks available for purchase. He specifically happened to mention that this included the business class cabin. He encouraged us to visit a store for grab and go and “Thanks for your patience during these uncertain times”. Yeah right – I’m sure Air Canada could have let us know in advance that there was going to be no catering on board (laughing). I guess if you happen to be losing $20 million a day (CAD) as a business, you have to cut corners somewhere.

t

On Board Air Canada Business Class:

I eventually boarded with Boarding Group 1. Getting on board the CRJ-900, I found myself in one of the refreshed cabins. Business Class is set up in a 1-2 configuration with bin space that fits rollies only on the right hand side of the aircraft. Today’s load was 8 out of 12 in business including a dead heading first officer in uniform who slept the whole way.

My joy was pretty minimal as I sank into the seat as I recognized that these jets lost their seatback television screens so I was going to be entertainmentless for the ride home. My day was getting better and better (laughing); first the downgrade from Air Canada mainline to Air Canada Express (Jazz), then no food, then no screen. The horrors! Ha ha. I tried to download some Netflix to my iPhone but since I was without wifi – I got shut out by the network carrier.

The seats had in seat power which was convenient to reach being situated in the arm rest. The seats also had individual air nozzles above the seat, something that’ I typically welcome.

Air Canada’s Clean Care + Amenity Kit:

Instead of the usual pre-departure beverage of juice or water, we were offered the now common Air Canada Clean Care + plastic bag. The bag contained was Air Canada marketed as necessities for the flight. These included a sterile glove, some sani wipes, a fresh mask and a few other oddities like a free Covid-19 test on arrival from an international destination at Toronto Pearson International Airport. These were passed out and made available to all customers, regardless of cabin class.

The captain announced our flight time of two hours and thirty five minutes at a planned cruise altitude of 39,000 feet.

As we got underway, there were no remaining aircraft at the Winnipeg Airport. We taxied by the Antonov who happened to be undergoing a load with two cranes.

We had a pass out on runway 31C with a gradual climb up to altitude.

As we climbed to altitude, the cabin attendant who bore a striking resemblance to Gordon Ramsey in age and seniority came around to offer dinner. I was a bit surprised given the ground announcement at the gate that the flight was not going to be catered so I jumped on the offer.

Meal Service: A Cold Dinner

Dinner was a one choice affair of mixed greens, with olive oil and balsamic dressing and a chicken wrap with cheese and lettuce. This was paired with the usual single serve bottle of Ferrandiere Grenache Noir Syrah, Marselan Vin de France.

The presentation not too bad but I suppose it could be worse. The taste was much like the out bound flight; a reasonable food offering that took us through the dinner period.

With no entertainment, I worked on the trip report. We had a small water service towards the end of the flight, in addition to offers of an additional round of beverages.

Arriving to Vancouver:

We had an approach on Runway 31 R into Vancouver, which takes us in over the city of Richmond. It was nice to be back in the air and finding yourself returning home to your home airport.

It was completely surreal to see how empty the Vancouver International Airport long term parking lots were. There were less than 10 cars parked in a lot that was designed for thousands.

Westjet Aircraft Parked in Storage Around the YVR Apron

After spending ten minutes in any Canadian airport, it becomes very apparent that the airline industry is going through some exceptionally tough times. The demand is obviously completely gone along with all the things that you hated about travelling; the crowded terminals, the lines at security and the rushes for your gate. The concourses are deserted, along with many of the stores and traffic along with it.

In Vancouver’s situation, this is usually the period when many Canadian domestic flights are connecting to the International Air Canada Departures to Sydney and Brisbane. Today, those flights are gone along with all their connecting passengers.

For interest’s sake, I walked to the car through the Vancouver International Airport “International Departures” and USA Transborder Departure Zones. It’s literally mind boggling on how deserted this space was.

The USA Transborder area was equally as empty. At the time of this report, Canadian Travellers had to under go a 14 day quarantine on return to the United States or any international location. This took the motivation out of a lot of discretionary trips. The USA departures flight board was without a single scheduled departure in the next 24 hours.

USA Flight Board without a Single Departing Flight on it for the next 24 hours

My Thoughts on Pandemic Flying with Air Canada Business Class:

Flying at the moment is a personal decision. I didn’t have any concerns with it and would easily hop on another flight tomorrow. The aircrafts were as clean as they could be and the current major inconvenience is wearing a mask for the duration of your time from airport to airport.

The main risk is travelling some where and being diagnosed as having to self quarantine for fourteen days and getting stuck at your destination.The aircraft check in screens caution every traveler that you may be denied boarding if you have been ordered quarantined by any health authority. Arguably, this is the biggest risk with travelling since you can’t completely be certain that a cloth mask will cover you. Assuming you are okay with covering the cost of this at a hotel, or perhaps staying with family, then arguably it’s safe to cautiously proceed on those trips to visit loved ones.

Air Canada’s has done a reasonable job at adapting to the realities of the global pandemic. The planes are clean, the food is sealed and arguably has improved in quality and taste. The Clean Care + Amenity Kit is a neat, but likely “expensive to the airline” concept. The Air Canada Airbus 320 service is a comfortable way to get to any mid haul destination. Although its more comfortable to enjoy their pods on the longer haul flights that are more than four hours in length.

Overall, I felt safe flying during the pandemic. I wore a mask the entire time as mandated by the airline and by Transport Canada. Despite being a traveler that enjoys the breeze of air from air nozzles while I was flying, I actively switched these off during our travel. I wouldn’t hesitate to fly again. I actually found the lack of crowds on the plane and around the airports to be quite enjoyable.

Thanks for following along on another great trip.

For a more detailed version of this trip report, please visit www.worldtraveller73.com
Old Nov 27, 2020, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by SFO777
Great report. I think it's safe to say that this is the first TR for Killarney, Manitoba.
Amazing how quiet and deserted YVR was on your departure.
My last memory of Winnipeg was a -40 day, many years ago. I recall that it was so cold that it took 20 minutes for my rental car tires to stop feeling like frozen squares.
Thanks for reading SFO777. I've enjoyed your latest reports.

It's truly surreal how this pandemic has wiped the life and people out of airports. I'm not sure if it will ever be this deserted again as I think we're more than halfway through this crisis.

Originally Posted by 757
Great report. Looks like you had a nice trip 'off the grid.' I've not been to Winnipeg before, but as I live in Minneapolis/St. Paul, there are days when I often wonder what the temperature is up in Winnipeg when it's below 0 in the Twin Cities.

Looking forward to your trip home!

Matthew
Thanks 757 - Minnepapolis St Paul certainly has like weather although it's probably fair to say, far better restaurants!!

Originally Posted by GregWTravels
Portage and Main, fifty below
You stay inside and rock n roll

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdxNnhfLD5c
Aptly put GregWTravels - although I try not to visit during the winter and those temperatures.

Originally Posted by wakesetter93
It's no fun being (mostly) stuck at home and not traveling but it has given us some great, off the beaten path, trip reports. Enjoying following along!
Thanks again wakesetter93. I appreciate your support.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I have to say, despite growing up in Winnipeg, I've never been to Killarney. Seems I'm not missing much!

It really is amazing how Canadian air travel has nearly ground to a halt in the past few months. I had a rental car for a week out of YWG a couple months ago and wondered into the terminal and there was nothing but shuttered restaurants and bored CATSA folks. I flew out of there a few days ago transborder and ironically the overstaffed situation seemed to gum up the security process! Only in Canada do you need 15 security agents to screen a single CRJ flight to MSP.... The incompetence of this group, one can only think they hired TSA's best
Old Dec 2, 2020, 2:01 am

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
Thanks for reading SFO777. I've enjoyed your latest reports.

It's truly surreal how this pandemic has wiped the life and people out of airports. I'm not sure if it will ever be this deserted again as I think we're more than halfway through this crisis.
WT73, I think you can say this pandemic is worse than the Great Depression for Aviation/Tourism.
At least Apr - May showed the Eco-Terrorist the world can't run without Aviation

Aren't you the optimist, more than halfway?
Just like the anti-maskers, at least I know which BBQ not to go to Toronto
There's anti-vaxxers out there too, and how are the countries going to agree on the vaccine certification?
We're gonna need a Yellow Fever Card 2.0 agreement too

This deserted or 89.9 Gas Prices in Vancouver again

As a Vanny Local, you can reference this one
Richmond Center on a Weekday 11am

I posted this in the AC forum back in July, if you thought YVR was bad, guess again!
Monday 330pm at YYZ

I have HKG ones which are even bigger contrast but they won't load tonight

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I have to say, despite growing up in Winnipeg, I've never been to Killarney. Seems I'm not missing much!

It really is amazing how Canadian air travel has nearly ground to a halt in the past few months. I had a rental car for a week out of YWG a couple months ago and wondered into the terminal and there was nothing but shuttered restaurants and bored CATSA folks. I flew out of there a few days ago transborder and ironically the overstaffed situation seemed to gum up the security process! Only in Canada do you need 15 security agents to screen a single CRJ flight to MSP.... The incompetence of this group, one can only think they hired TSA's best
krazykanuck, I'll agree with you here.
BTW, am I missing much by not going to Riding Mountain?

I drove out to Assinibola, Saskatchewan from Vancouver in June, it's literally the same photos as WT73.
Flat Lands and Silos
At least I got the Badlands at the end of it which is better than what WT73 had
So skip Saskatchewan WT73 LOL

It does teach a thing or two having gone out there though, can't blame the Prairies folks for hating the folks in power in Ottawa.
Where's their Tax Dollar gone to? Everything out there is depressing as hell and crumbling apart

You think YWG is bad, when's the last time you've seen empty J seats (after 6-8 non-revs confirmed) on a widebody YUL-YVR flight
Or even crazier, try a HKG flight through all of this, I've had single digit load factor my last in-out.

Return to HKG, 8/38 in J, 3/24 in W, 6/214 in Y, 6.15% Load Factors
Out from HKG, 3/36 in J, 15/247 in Y, 6.36% Load Factors

15 CATSA Agents for a CRJ is bad?
Try 30+ AVESCO Agents at HKG all standing around bored to death and you're the only passenger through the checkpoint, it's freaky
15 CATSA agent, that's gotta be the Wage Subsidy program right?

WT73, don't feel too bad about the 320>CR9.
Try YVR-YUL, especially the 311/314 rotation.
Book a 789, if you're lucky get 321!
Unlucky? Get a 223

You'll need to go through 3 rounds of schedule change to know the final equipment
1 Month Out > 2 Weeks Out > 1 Week Out
Old Dec 12, 2020, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by krazykanuck

Thanks krazykanuck. The Canadian Air Travel scene isn't alive these days. Of course, it doesn't help when Air Canada schedules 10 frequencies a day, then 7 days before your trip reduces it to 2. I've been burned a few times already with this and it's taught me to stay away until things normalize a bit.

Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
WT73, I think you can say this pandemic is worse than the Great Depression for Aviation/Tourism.
At least Apr - May showed the Eco-Terrorist the world can't run without Aviation

WT73, don't feel too bad about the 320>CR9.
Try YVR-YUL, especially the 311/314 rotation.
Book a 789, if you're lucky get 321!
Unlucky? Get a 223

You'll need to go through 3 rounds of schedule change to know the final equipment
1 Month Out > 2 Weeks Out > 1 Week Out
Sadly, Short Hair Francis, I think this is the near future of aviation travel. Massive substitutions at the last minute with a lot of re-scheduling. Hopefully, we'll get back to normal really soon.
Short hair Francis likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 1:01 am

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
Thanks krazykanuck. The Canadian Air Travel scene isn't alive these days. Of course, it doesn't help when Air Canada schedules 10 frequencies a day, then 7 days before your trip reduces it to 2. I've been burned a few times already with this and it's taught me to stay away until things normalize a bit.

Sadly, Short Hair Francis, I think this is the near future of aviation travel. Massive substitutions at the last minute with a lot of re-scheduling. Hopefully, we'll get back to normal really soon.
Agreed with you wt73, near future is headache and sheer grim.
Not seeing an Exit Strategy either and 3x Carbon Tax within the next 10 yrs, quite frankly wanna cry when you hear that news.
I can imagine the back of Hoovervilles in the back of mind the longer this goes on

The only good tidbit about this is re-scheduling allows one to take advantage of INVOL changes and force yourself on a full flight.

What route goes from 10x>2x? YVR-YYC/YEG?
That can't be YYZ, YYZ should be somewhere between 4x-6x daily right now

And I know I have I need to make a trip out East in Jan/Feb, lockdown be damned

Ya, fly Air Canada, 100% use Miles at this point
worldtraveller73 likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 7:43 pm

Programs: TK*S, SPG Gold
Not in a million years would I have ever thought I’d see a trip report featuring Killarney on here.

This took me back. I lived in western Manitoba during part of my childhood in the early 90s, then moved east and never looked back. I used to play hockey in Killarney and Boissevain. Those farm kids can really hit! Old, cold “arenas”.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jcamp028
Not in a million years would I have ever thought I’d see a trip report featuring Killarney on here.

This took me back. I lived in western Manitoba during part of my childhood in the early 90s, then moved east and never looked back. I used to play hockey in Killarney and Boissevain. Those farm kids can really hit! Old, cold “arenas”.
Thanks jcamp. Killarney is an unusual place for this forum featuring first class reports around the world. I have no doubt that the farm kids can hit! ha ha

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.