Search

British Airways - during COVID - Club Europe/Business Short Haul

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2020, 5:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
British Airways - during COVID - Club Europe/Business Short Haul

British Airways – Business Class (Club Europe) - during COVID – LHR to Cagliari

This was my first flight in a long while. (My planned 747 64K upper deck flight LHR-LAX for this month got cancelled) BA, and many other EU carrier are having very low fares for short-haul business at the moment and LHR-CAG was a steal at £211.

Order by phone

I arrived at the Club Lounge at LHR T5 and of course things have changed. The food and drinks service is now ordered over the internet. The range of drink was broad, with Champagne orderable (previously it was available by request only and was not displayed). The food menu was not the most vast, but the Breakfast bap that I had was reasonably tasty. The ridiculously fast speed of the service was a real delight and totally unexpected.

Off to the gate and I was informed I would have to wait until my row 2 seat was called for boarding! This is to reduce the amount of passenger mixing in light of COVID. Personally, I have always tried to board last pre-covid anyway.

We were handed antibacterial wipes and gel, and got underway shortly after.

The service in the air was prompt. Food options were ‘veg’ or ‘non-veg’. My ‘non-veg’ box arrived with a mini-bottle of Feuillatte. The sandwich was tasty, as was the couscous salad and the chocolate mouse – I would guess it was around 750 calories in total.

All-in-all, the current lower prices on short haul Club Europe routes are very appealing to me. The lower service level is not an issue here. For long haul trips, where one is looking for some style and to be romanced a little, BA will not be cutting it for me until service improves.

Flying direct from the UK is very beneficial for brits trying to avoid being quarantined on return (since we are not allowed transits in red-listed countries – a red-list which morphs weekly). Many people may choose to fly BA for this reason. BA may get away with the cost-cutting at this moment in time, but may not as times evolve.

francophile likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Indeed the limited service is not that worse on short haul, it wasn't a dream before. With the right price it's OK.
SFO777 likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 2:40 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
£211 for LHR-CAG is definitely not good value. I can fly DFW to CLE, a greater diistance, for $38 (£28) one way on AA, and not much more back.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by 1P
£211 for LHR-CAG is definitely not good value. I can fly DFW to CLE, a greater diistance, for $38 (£28) one way on AA, and not much more back.
I’m from CLE, and I don’t even want to fly home.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 6:01 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by 1P
I forgot that LHR - CAG and DFW - CLE were comparable routes 😂. Do you judge ‘value’ exclusively by distance?
NoY, offerendum, nequine and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by krispy84
I forgot that LHR - CAG and DFW - CLE were comparable routes 😂. Do you judge ‘value’ exclusively by distance?
If you do this many inter-European routes are terrible value.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 7:34 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by offerendum
If you do this many inter-European routes are terrible value.
Precisely!
Old Dec 23, 2020, 4:26 pm

Programs: United 1K
great information

I'm flying short haul to LHR from Europe and then connecting to the states. It's my first time flying BA in international business. I'm glad to hear the service is still decent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.