Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2020, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
3 great restuarants and an underwhelming Beherbergungsbetrieb

Again not the usual trip report...…
It was GFs Birthday again a we thought what to do. For a while we wanted to visit the Mosel, but the Region is not too easy to visit. Until last year the only 5 star hotel was Schloss Berg (I booked for New Year but I doubt it will hapen) and it is not really located at the interesting part of Mosel. Last year opened Schloss Lieser, which is part of Autograph Collection which my GF liked from the first moment. I already considered it for my birthday, but there was not really availability. So I booked 4 nights in October. I thought for a Long time wjich room to book. A Junior Suite was 385 €, a Suite 800 € and the Emporer Suite 1060 € per night. I doubted the prices for the Suite or Emporer Suite would be worth it. So I went with the Junior Suite. I also booked tables at Gästehaus Erfort (3 stars), Schanz (2 stars) and Waldhotel Sonora (3 star).
I also wanted to book 3 or 4 nights at Brenners Parkhotel and perhaps Bareiss for the restaurant.
1 week before our journey things in Germany got more difficult. As Corona-numbers went up (and still are going up) more or less logical measures were taken. The most controversial was the ban for hotels in most federal states (including Rheinland-Pfalz (Lieser) and Baden-Würtemberg (Baden-Baden and Baiersbronn) to accomodiate guests form high risks areas (more than 50 Corona cases per 100.000 inhabitants at 7 days) without a negative Corona-test from the last 48 hours (Beherbergungsverbot). So we skiped the Baden-Baden and Baiersbronn idea and were ready to cancel Lieser. Beside the fact a Corona-test was hard to get I think itīs unacceptable to waste this tests for people without any symptoms instead of using them for people really in need like medcal staff.At this time our home region more or less got completely a high risk area.
As I said the ban was controversial so courts suspended the Beherbergungsverbot and Rheinland-Pfalz decided not to activate it. So we were able to Travel to Lieser. Baden-Würtemberg suspended its Beherbergungsverbot a few days later but this time we were already in Lieser and it was too late. "Dumm gelaufen" is the term we use in Germany.

Last edited by offerendum; Oct 24, 2020 at 7:39 am
Old Oct 24, 2020, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Gästehaus Klaus Erfort Saarbrücken

The report starts with a Lunch. We drove directly to Saarbrücken. After we first found a parking space outside we saw the restaurant, which is located in an old Villa, has its own parking space. The villa has a huge garden.

The Villa from the garden side

The entrance

The restaurant is furnished in bright colors with some modern art.

Before you ask: During our lunch 7 other people were eating at the restaurant, I took the picture after they left.
They offered a 4 course menu including aperitif and coffee for 120 €, a 5 course menu (similar to dinner) would have been 147 € without the extras. We decided to take the Lunch menu and got a very good non-alcoholic sparkling (Kolonne Null Riesling), which I have to order for me at home. We also got some . Do you mention the contemporary decoration?

The bread was very good.

Amuse Bouche

First course was marinated swordfish - very nice

King crab with moussles - also very good

Turbot - also high level

Délice from Styrian pumpkin seed oil

Sweets

We really enjoyed our Lunch, absolutely worth 3 stars in my eyes. I would eat here again. Bill was 258 €, which I found very reasonable.

Last edited by offerendum; Oct 24, 2020 at 8:43 am
Old Oct 25, 2020, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Schloss Lieser

In advance we received the usual Covis-email. They have done everthing to protect everyone, highest hygienic standards (isnīt it the new normal?) and there is a special desinfection of every room. More interesting is always the part what they donīt offer. In this case: No luggage service, no valet parking and no breakfast buffet.
At this point some Information about Schloss Lieser. The main castle was built between 1884 and 1887 by Eduard Puricelli, a German industrialist and politician. Until 1905 the castle was extended and used by Family members until 1981. After this it had many owners, from 2007 it was transformed to a hotel. After several unsuccessful tries the Odyssey Group opened the hotel under the Marriott Autograph Collection Roof in 2019.
We arrived Lieser and the first impression was good. From outside the castle is impressive.

As expected no one was waiting outside, 4 parking spaces at the side were reserved for loading and unloading, the following days some guests permanently used them as they were the most conveniant parking spaces. Otherwise you can park at the other side of the road for free or for 12 € per night at the nicely done parking garage without direct access to the castle.

The garage wasnīt secured in any way, so more a coverage.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 9:49 am

Very interested in your assessment of Schloss Lieser. We plan to do a bike trip from Trier to Koblenz and this will be a stop.... assuming such trips are reasonable next year.
offerendum likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xooz
Very interested in your assessment of Schloss Lieser. We plan to do a bike trip from Trier to Koblenz and this will be a stop.... assuming such trips are reasonable next year.
Will report further soon. I guess the title already gives you a hint how I liked it
Old Oct 25, 2020, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Beautiful tr and good assortment of lovely food pictures. Looking forward to more as you post. Enjoy the holiday!
offerendum likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gaobest
Beautiful tr and good assortment of lovely food pictures. Looking forward to more as you post. Enjoy the holiday!
Thanks! At home for nearly a week now, so life got me back
Old Oct 25, 2020, 11:59 am

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
You certainly know how to locate a good restaurant. You've had lots of experience over the years. Looking forward to the next segments!
cockpitvisit and offerendum like this.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
You certainly know how to locate a good restaurant. You've had lots of experience over the years. Looking forward to the next segments!
Yeah, they are like magnets for me
Old Oct 25, 2020, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
I love a foodie TR! Thank you
offerendum likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zip10001
I love a foodie TR! Thank you
Unfortunately only 3
Old Oct 25, 2020, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Schloss Lieser

Over the staircase we entered the hotel. There is a small room

with a staircase to the 2nd floor

and a small chapel.

View through the hallway.

Adjected to the reception is the library, the most historic room at the castle.

The billiard room is part of the hallway.

The hunting room, for us an ugly room which we hated to have breakfast in one morning.

This room was much nicer

I guess the piano is for decoration purposes

The Puricelli Restaurant

Hallway to the elevator and terrace

Sculpture at the staircase

Hallway in front of our room

The check.in was fast, they appologized they couldnīt offer us an upgrade as they only have 3 suites. Not so great was to bring our luggage (we always Travel with some stuff) in 2 walks up the staircase at the front, through the half hotel and up to our room at the 3rd level. At least the elevator went up to the 3rd floor, if you stay at the 4th you may carry them up one floor by yourself. I canīt really see a big contribution against Covid while carrying the luggage myself…. I see more I support the hotel as I help them to spare costs. Indeed you saw very few members of staff….
lamphs likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Schloss Lieser

Letīs take a tour through our room. There was a small hallway with an even smaller cupboard.

Itīs not too conveniant to have steps between the room and bathroom. But when I saw the room I was shocked. This is a Junior Suite?

Such a small room! Also I found the furniture everything else than fresh, for a 1 year old hotel it even looked dated. Especially this TV-desk! Even worse was the heating. It was only possible to heat it through the air condition. So you could choose between a loud noise with floating air or coldness.
They had some welcome gift. I remember no gift but this was outstanding!

Really? At least some decoration…..

Whatīs about the highest hygienic standards? At least at the lamp they failed, this spiders web stayed all 4 days…..

But letīs check the "Mosel view"

Well, yes! You see the Mosel. But itīs not really a direct view, more an indirect one. Also not very Suite like, not even Junior.
Perhaps the bathroom will do it? Before my stay I saw some Junior Suites even have a combined tub and shower, terrible. So I asked for a guarantee to get a proper shower. And I got it.

Not really the most modern bathroom but it fits to the hotel. But wait. Isnīt a rain shower the way to go?

What a great shower! At least they had very warm water. Therefor you could shoose between very hot or relative cold. Hard to mix. Also water preasure was not too great. And did you mention the toilet?

The seat simply didnīt fit! I never experienced such an uncomfortable toilet. Unbelievible! Also unbelievible was the fact there wasnīt a heating inside the bathroom! It was permanently cold!
Here a floor plan, my room was 316.

No, I canīt be satisfied with this room. I doubt the Suite would have been worth 800 €, but this room with this service was definitively not worth 400 €.
lamphs and hugolover like this.
Old Oct 27, 2020, 12:35 am

It's a Marriott, right?
Old Oct 27, 2020, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pausanias
It's a Marriott, right?
It's Autograph Collection, so not really managed by them. But it is a Marriott. At the hotel itself I saw nearly no sign of Marriott.

Last edited by offerendum; Oct 27, 2020 at 3:53 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.