Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly - our 17 hour day with BA

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly - our 17 hour day with BA

Old Sep 25, 2020, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
BA always compares badly in these comparisons - though the relative price of tickets, and availability of award tickets, is usually ignored. Which is a shame, as it goes a long way to levelling things out, or at least explaining the discrepancies.

Lufthansa (and Swiss) have consistently better on-board service; all-round more polished, and more extensive, hard and soft products. There's a price for that. With smaller F cabins they can charge a high premium for an exclusive service. Award tickets can be hens teeth.

BA's strategy is to play to a quite different market, which includes (relatively) easy access to F awards, and the ability to upgrade for Avios.
Over with Lufthansa, my annual upgrade vouchers wither away each year for want of opportunity.
hugolover likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 4:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Duck1981
As usual a great trip report and I am even more happy that I have sold my IAG shares at 720p
But, presumably, not quite so happy that you bought more at 178p a month ago.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 4:48 am

Programs: Meh
I know this is FT but in the meantime in the real world............no wonder I visit this place less and less
HAF, EuropeanPete and Fly_IAD like this.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 4:52 am

Programs: BA EC
"We landed on time and at least I wasn't threatened with arrest this time"

Love this: in F to Miami the food was dire and I returned the bulk of it, politely, minus the cheese plate. Watched a movie, fell asleep and was threatened with arrest for being disruptive!

How can you be disruptive when you are sleeping?

Would have loved it if they had actually carried out the threat: at the time I ran a 12 airplane operation, you can guess the type, and I knew what a disruptive passenger was like!
Old Sep 25, 2020, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
It seems BA is getting risk people flying in F because of the lousy food experience and to complain about it. I would differ. For example I always mourn about European Business but keep booking it as the alternative (Economy) is even worse and I cant or at least dont want to pay for a private jet. On long haul I mostly have a choice. I cant really mourn the BA F seat is bad as I know before what to expect and mostly it reflects in price. There are normally alternatives.

Regarding BA at the moment of course there are alternatives and I normally wouldnt fly it. On the other hand if you would offer me a flight in this BA F for 30% of the LH or whatever F-price I would perhaps do it. If you would for example offer me a great F without proper food for 1000 less per person it would be worth thinking about it. For the price I get 3 meals at 3 star level and I never had a meal in the air which was really impressive or compareable to high end restaurants. Wine and all the other fluff is not of interest for me, most expensive drink I take is a mocktail.
hugolover and Fly_IAD like this.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 5:29 am

Programs: BA EC
For the dates my wife is travelling BA to ORD from LHR, economy is 540, premium is 890, Club is 1415 and First is 1820.

A meal from Gordon Ramsay's place is around 30. A Boots meal deal is probably 8. Take your own grub as SFO777 did.

Comparable LH F price is 5500.
offerendum likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 5:32 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

A very entertaining and somewhat informative account - you certainly approached this trip with your eyes wide open and I am glad you were able to follow the good pre-flight advice you received in the BA Covid Catering thread.

What puzzles me is why the need to cast Patricia Routledge to play yourself in this drama. All the great discussion and advice received in the BA forum now just appears to be a dressed rehearsal for today's "showtime" event. I'm really not sure what to make of that. Still, as I said, the report has its entertainment value.

Last edited by Prospero; Sep 25, 2020 at 5:38 am
Old Sep 25, 2020, 6:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Do women possess a reserved status when it comes to privacy issues?

Or maybe this is simply arcane gallantry.

My understanding is that no-one should expect privacy in a public place. But I have been wrong about many things before!
You see no difference in taking random photos of say an airline terminal or street cafe that may include random people in a trip report compared to zooming in on seemingly random womens chest and other areas and plastering that up on a website section called SFO777Girls ? Seriously? While at the same time often traveling with (in his case) your wife?

Last edited by Fly_IAD; Sep 25, 2020 at 8:02 am
Old Sep 25, 2020, 6:13 am

What did the crew think of your plates and glasses?
roberto99 likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 7:02 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
cooooool... nice to see at some of us are traveling international......ok I am jealous
Old Sep 25, 2020, 7:12 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Indeed so. Thank you for articulating exactly what I was thinking. No one is forced to fly with any airline - if it is so bad, leave. As someone for whom I have lot of time at AA Forum says - Goodbye Cruel Airline.
Absolutely agree - while the current BA onboard service is indeed a disgrace, the OP of this thread seems to take pride in criticising everything that possibly can be criticised, with especially the euro fraud business class term being in every single post of his. Each to their own, but Id value (under normal circumstances) proper service over a packet of nuts or a Mars bar, or whatever US carriers serve on two-hour flights these days...

He knew what he was getting into, but I guess points availability rather than cash fares dictated the choice of travel...
Old Sep 25, 2020, 7:18 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
Absolutely agree - while the current BA onboard service is indeed a disgrace, the OP of this thread seems to take pride in criticising everything that possibly can be criticised, with especially the ‘euro fraud business class’ term being in every single post of his. Each to their own, but I’d value (under normal circumstances) proper service over a packet of nuts or a Mars bar, or whatever US carriers ‘serve’ on two-hour flights these days...

He knew what he was getting into, but I guess points availability rather than cash fares dictated the choice of travel...
Once again, I cannot but agree with every word. The current service is indeed a disgrace - but this diatribe has been going on for a very long long time now.
roberto99, SKT-DK and RI2KH2SU like this.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 7:33 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Surely with service as you had on Lufthansa and all that crew contact infection rates must be much higher in Germany!

Oh, wait....

Great report thanks, as expected it puts BA to shame.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 7:44 am

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
An enjoyable read again, thanks for posting!

This TR and the entire discussion that follows is like Flyertalk's version of the Fawlty Towers "Waldorf Salad" episode. For those who don't know it - please watch it!

*grabs popcorn*
Old Sep 25, 2020, 8:01 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Great report SFO777, as you said BA could at least be honest and say the bad service is due to budget cuts instead of blaming COVID, it is really cheap to do that. I would be much more sympathetic if they were honest, as obviously their bottom line is severely disrupted due to the pandemic. Nonetheless, LH/LX Business (and First) class is exactly as it used to be pre COVID, the only different feel on board is the wearing of masks (which the business cabin takes off during the lengthy meal times anyway).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.