Reload this Page >

Dubrovnik and Croatia's Spectacular Dalmatian Coast via Lufthansa First Class

Old Sep 16, 20, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, AA LT PLT 2mm, TP Gold *G

Mrs. SFO777 and I are off for a week in Croatia to celebrate my milestone round number birthday. Croatia has been on our bucket list and was a no brainer this year as it is one of the few countries in Europe which permits Americans to visit without quarantine. All we need is a simple negative PCR test taken not more than 48 hours prior to arrival. We're visiting Dubrovnik and Split as well as some of the Dalmatian coast islands. Traffic flowed smoothly up the 405 all the way from South Orange County and we made the 60 mile driive in arround 50 minutes. Both Air France and Lufthansa had one connection options to Dubrovnik. While we love Air France La Première, I opted for Lufthansa. While both have cut back ground services in their hubs, Lufthansa reps at the First Class Hotline seemed less confused than the clueless staff at the Ligne La Première who couldn't even answer some of the most basic questions. In the end, I went with Lufthansa primarily for the 747-8 and the availabiity of 1AK.

The Ghost Town that is LAX

The most striking thing about LAX today was the lack of many cars or many people. We parked in the T4/TBIT garage and simply walked across the street to the Bradley Terminal. This was surreal. Who needs traffic lights?

Inside on the departures level, finally some passengers for the relatively few international departures these days.

OK, some folks at the Lufthansa counters.

These guys have long day and night ahead on their way to Sweden.

No line at the entrance to security.

Although PreCheck doc check funneled into the same security conveyors as non-PreCheck, those with PreCheck get green cards which let us pass with the normal PreCheck protocols.

The Amex Centurion Lounge has a great location immediately after security...

... which will be useful someday.

Inside, empty.

... with most of the stores closed.

Restaurants? Forgetaboutit.

I was aware that no TBIT airline lounges are open, but I decided to check them out just for laughs. The Star Alliance First Class Lounge. Not exactly sure what the DANGER is. You're just closed.

And the Business Class Lounge, which rated big diagonal DANGER signs.

But the winner for the biggest lie of the day goes to Qantas. The Qantas Lounge is closed due to social distancing requirements. LOL. How about being honest? Like we're closed because we don't fly to LAX, or pretty much anywhere for that matter, and our One World partners and Air France don't pay us enough to keep the lights on.

So we headed to the only "lounge" open today, Hudson and Starbucks...

A little later, the long, long walk to the end of the the North concourse.

Past today's other option...

At least LAX is being honest. We don't want to pay the power bill to run these suckers.

Our beautiful 747-8...

Last edited by SFO777; Sep 20, 20 at 10:32 am
Old Sep 16, 20, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Los Angeles LAX to Frankfurt FRA
Lufthansa LH 457
747-8
3:10pm-11:00am +1
September 11, 2020
Departed 5/8
Suites 1A and 1K

Gate 156 is just about the end of the south concourse of TBIT. Not a heavy load today. with maybe 60 pax total. All required to wear masks to board and in flight, except when eating and drinking.

After the handicap preboards, First Class was invited to board. This interesing guy was in 3A. Masks I get but full hazmat suit, mask, goggle and gloves. Jeez, why even bother?

Ah, back home again in one of the nicest First Class cabins in the sky, especially for a couple in nose suites 1AK.

Service today with simply marvelous with our two First Class flight attendants, Sasha and Iris, doting on us with flawless service. And the good news is that, unlike some airlines using Covid as an excuse to cut back, Lufthansa has maintained its excellent in flight soft product.

Today's menu...

And today's wine list. The online menu teased LPGS Rosé, but alas it was not to be, as it was the respectable Lanson all the way.

The current LH First Class amenity kit...

Meh.

And off we go.

To start I went with the Monthly Proposal London Gin, and tonic. Delicious even without the lemon, apparently a Covid casualty.

Our lovely amuse bouche.

Showtime, Lufthansa style.

With some beautiful scenery along the way.

No fresh rose, another COVID casualty, but our FAs improvised with a paper rose. That was sweet.

Caviar to start delivered from the galley instead of the traditional cart-up-the-aisle service.

Yummy LH garlic bread.

Mrs. SFO777 opted for the salmon, which she said was pretty dry.

On the other hand, my beef filet was fabulous...

... and perfectly medium rare.

One of two First Class lavs.

With cloth towels another COVID casualty.

I headed to the lav to change into my PJs as FA Sasha made up my bed.

And slept a solid five hours...

... waking up an hour out from Frankfurt.

What a wonderful flight with outstanding in flight service.

Last edited by SFO777; Sep 20, 20 at 10:38 am
Old Sep 16, 20, 4:22 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Well, would say you are luck to fly again. I have to cancel my upcomming LH/ LX F combination as Thailand won´t let me in. To be fair everything looks surreal and it´s surely not the same as before.
Old Sep 16, 20, 5:20 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
I almost forgot what those LH F cabins look like, thanks for reminding me SFO777...
Counting the days until I'll be able to fly in one of them again, but I'm not holding my breath.
Really looking forward to this.
Enjoy!

Last edited by JohnRain; Sep 16, 20 at 5:30 am
Old Sep 16, 20, 6:37 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Thanks for the great report. I should have been on LH First to HKG on way to Oz and SQ First suites on the return in a couple of weeks time. Glad you enjoyed. Not that I'm jealous!!
Old Sep 16, 20, 8:23 am

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Fantastic, can't wait for the rest of this one!

LH's soft product is no doubt impressive. One of the better ones available at present.
Old Sep 16, 20, 8:41 am

Programs: BA EC
Interested to read your report on BA F as my wife has a reservation to ORD in F for next August. Hopefully things will have improved by then!
Old Sep 16, 20, 9:01 am

Programs: BAEC
SFO777 and British Airways are like 'chalk and cheese' not good bedfellows by any stretch of the imagination! I can't wait!
hugolover likes this.
Old Sep 16, 20, 9:02 am

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by noniron View Post
SFO777 and British Airways are like 'chalk and cheese' not good bedfellows by any stretch of the imagination! I can't wait!
And that was back before BA was serving boxed Y meals in F.
offerendum and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 16, 20, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum View Post
Well, would say you are luck to fly again. I have to cancel my upcomming LH/ LX F combination as Thailand won´t let me in. To be fair everything looks surreal and it´s surely not the same as before.
Thanks offerendum. Hopefully, we can all get to normal sooner than later.

Originally Posted by JohnRain View Post
I almost forgot what those LH F cabins look like, thanks for reminding me SFO777... Counting the days until I'll be able to fly in one of them again, but I'm not holding my breath. Really looking forward to this. Enjoy!
Thanks very much JohnRain. It was good to be back in LH First and the 747-8.

Originally Posted by beamac View Post
Thanks for the great report. I should have been on LH First to HKG on way to Oz and SQ First suites on the return in a couple of weeks time. Glad you enjoyed. Not that I'm jealous!!
Thank you beamac. Sorry to hear that you can't make your LH/SQ First flights to OZ. Who knows when OZ will open to foreigners.

Originally Posted by cmd320 View Post
Fantastic, can't wait for the rest of this one! LH's soft product is no doubt impressive. One of the better ones available at present.
Thanks so much cmd320. LH First is wonderful in the air, but I'm afraid that their former excellent FRA ground services may not come back. Read in the LH forum that FCT will be closed and that car limo service will not be back. Once that happens and once AF gets back to normal at CDG, AF would be the clear winner IMO.

Originally Posted by 737Av8tor View Post
Interested to read your report on BA F as my wife has a reservation to ORD in F for next August. Hopefully things will have improved by then!
Thank you 737Av8tor. I would think that BA will be back to normal by then. Posts in the BA forum that the dismal box lunch service will start disappearing in November. I'll believe when I see it though.
Old Sep 16, 20, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by noniron View Post
Originally Posted by cmd320 View Post
And that was back before BA was serving boxed Y meals in F.
LOL. Oh my, I certainly have had a history with them. Like a driver slowing down to see the scene of the car crash, I'm kind of looking forward to it, with an odd morbid curiosity about just how bad this can possibly be.
offerendum, wrp96 and cmd320 like this.
Old Sep 16, 20, 9:29 am

Forgive me if you've said this elsewhere, but was this an award or cash ticket? If cash, I'm curious how the prices compare to a flight in LH first in better times.
Old Sep 16, 20, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Alex Huerta View Post
Forgive me if you've said this elsewhere, but was this an award or cash ticket? If cash, I'm curious how the prices compare to a flight in LH first in better times.
These were award ticket purchased 6 days in advance. I used United miles and paid 121,000 MP miles and $45 per person. Did UA since Aeroplan would have been 80,000 miles and something like $800 each.
ebayj likes this.
Old Sep 16, 20, 10:20 am

Thank you for this report! My husband and I also did Croatia a few weeks ago and had a similar surreal experience at LAX. We flew KLM on the way out and LH back (business). Although I hate the hard product the soft product on LH is really just superior, especially now. We had debated flying first on LH (my husband has yet to experience) but I didn't think it was worth the additional points without the car service and with the first class terminal being closed. I see above you said these won't be coming back ever - can that be true??
Old Sep 16, 20, 12:39 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, AAdvantage Platinum Pro, UA Silver
Woo! Stoked for this TR, saw it teased on your site the other day

Search this Thread
Search Engine: