Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Dubrovnik and Croatia's Spectacular Dalmatian Coast via Lufthansa First Class

Dubrovnik and Croatia's Spectacular Dalmatian Coast via Lufthansa First Class

Old Sep 17, 20, 3:17 pm

Programs: United 1k, Hawaiian Premier
SFO777 Thank you - you always have incredible trip reports!! My wife and I took a trip to Greece last year and took some of your recommendations with the Canaves Oia as well as a photo tour.
Old Sep 17, 20, 7:05 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Happy Birthday, SFO777! So happy to see you and Mrs. SFO777 traveling again. Where in Tustin did you get the COVID-19 PCR? I'm taking a trip in a few weeks where I will need a quick turn around. We are in Orange County right now and Tustin is rather convenient for us.
Old Sep 17, 20, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
The current F amenity kit looks awful. Did everyone give funny looks to the guy in 3A? lol
Old Sep 18, 20, 12:02 am

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
SFO777, I was reading ahead on your website and you might have mentioned that you will be flying back on BA F.

Perhaps you can send in a complaint to BA after the flight and when doing so make sure you provide them with links to your LH F trip report?
Old Sep 18, 20, 4:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, Skywards, Hilton Honors and lots of other under-utilised Hotel Schemes
You may be interested in this account of how recently things were so different in Dubrovnik. Paul Davies (the reporter in the link below) lives in our village and is a very good friend of ours and has some amazing tales about what happened in the Balkan Wars. He had a very moving reunion there recently. He stayed at the Villa Argentina though!!

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-05-28/...lped-save-city

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...6FORM%3DHDRSC4
Old Sep 19, 20, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, AA LT PLT 2mm, TP Gold *G
Hotel Excelsior Dubrovnik

Leaving Dubrovnik airport for our 25 minute drive to the old city.

The lobby of the Hotel Excelsior Dubrovnik, our home for the next three days.

Amazing view of the old city from the lobby.

We had the option of a couple of suites and chose
an Executive Suite in the new tower.

Amazing views from our balcony.

After a full 24 hours of travel, we were tired and stayed in for a quick bite to eat for calling it a day. Beautiful outdoor dining area...

... with more gorgeous views. Shockingly, we were two of only a handful of guests tonight. As we discovered during our stay, there are very few tourists anywhere this year thanks to Covid paranoia.

The next morning, we discovered even better views with a full wall of windows.

Last edited by SFO777; Sep 20, 20 at 10:49 am
Old Sep 19, 20, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Beautiful Dubrovnik

I had booked a guide and driver for our first three days in Croatia. And we really were fortunate to find Julija (Julia) at dubrovnikdrivingguide.com. We all bonded and had a wonderful experience. We met Julia in the lobby at 10am and first headed just down the street, to old walled city Dubrovnik.

First stop was the harbor at Kings Landing which fans of Game of Thrones will recognize. Much of the last two seasons of GoT was filmed in and around Dubrovnik.

Then thru the Pile Gate into the walled city. In a normal year, we would have had to queue just to get in... to be with thousands of tourists.

And the stairs where Cersei began her walk of shame in GoT.

From the old city, we drove up to the top of the mountain overlooking Dubrovnik. Spectacular views of the city as we head up to the top.

The final couple of miles was a one lane two way road.

At the top, views of Bosnia and Herzgovina, and Montrenegro.

At the summit is the aptly named Panorama Restaurant where we enjoyed lunch with a view.

And back on the single lane road down to the highway, then to our hotel.

Back at the hotel, a little sun at the "beach".

Later that evening after a nap, we headed back to the old city for a marvelous dinner at 360 Restaurant.

What a gorgeous setting on an absolutley perfect evening.

Food, wine and service combined for a memorable evening. Our sommelier guided us thru Croatian wines.

Wonderful bread.

And our beautiful and delicious amuse bouche. The truffle macaroon was to die for.

Mrs. SFO777 started with octopus with fennel, lime ravioli and fish soup.

My foie grad was delicious with a divine sauternes gel, coffee mousse, dates and sourdough bread.

Our wonderful and passionate about food server Ivan.

For her main, Mrs. SFO777 had the Turbot with cauliflower cream, clams and dark fish stock. Amazing.

I had the Sea Bass, with smoked mayo, fagotiini with cuttlefish, mussels and a beautiful sweet and sour fish sauce. Delicious.

And then there was dessert, seemingly nonstop. Starting with a dessert amuse-bouche.

Incroyable!

And if that wasn't enough...

What a marvelous evening and exceptional experience. 360 is a must for foodies visiting Dubrovnik.

Last edited by SFO777; Sep 23, 20 at 9:35 am
Old Sep 19, 20, 4:56 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
One of the reason there are so few tourists is that Croatia was classified as high risk area for example in Germany and Austria. Also regions are classifed as high Risk without warning and you may face quarantaine when returning. For example I was lucky as Den Haag was classified a few days after I returned was classified as high risk area. Only 1 day of quarantaine would had cost me a lot in this case so I decided to do no more overnight stay outside Germany in the near future. Sad, but the (economical) risk is too high.
cockpitvisit likes this.
Old Sep 19, 20, 6:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist
Joyeux Anniversaire

Happy Birthday SFO777

Great trip report as always!

We visited Dubrovnik in July 2018 so your TR brings back great memories

Last edited by zip10001; Sep 19, 20 at 5:11 pm
Old Sep 19, 20, 9:09 am

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Hotel looks great and the city very interesting and pleasant. Croatia has moved to the top of my travel list.
Old Sep 19, 20, 9:50 am

Are there any traces of Yugoslav wars still to be seen in Dubrovnik? Like shelled building walls etc.?
Old Sep 19, 20, 11:09 am

Programs: Several here and there, but not as many during my road warrior days!
Excellent trip report and a welcome change from all the non-travel over the past 7 months. I thought FRA was dead when I last transited on March 12th back to SFO, but it is really sad to see it now. Happy birthday SFO777 and enjoy for all of us!
Old Sep 19, 20, 4:15 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Thanks for taking the time to put together another trip report. It lets us know that the world still exists out there.

I'm looking forward to getting back to more normal times - paper LH F roses not withstanding.
Old Sep 19, 20, 11:07 pm

Programs: AA
Great report as always. I'm reliving my 2013 trip through your lens. I had rented an apartment just around the corner from Pile gate. You likely came close to it's front door when you went to the water's edge near the castle. I recall getting a kayak off that pier in your photo. I hope you were able to make it to the Buza bar!
Old Sep 20, 20, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1P View Post
Looking forward to the rest! My friends in Croatia tell me the place is rammed full with people currently (perhaps because it's one of the few places in Europe open for business). Hope you got away from the crowds.
Thank you 1P. We found just the opposite. There were hardly any tourists anywhere in Dubrovnik or Korcula. A little more crowded in the old Split, but no where near what you would expect. All the restaurants and hotels were pretty empty.

Originally Posted by cmd320 View Post
Mr. Hazmat is hilarious.
Originally Posted by offerendum View Post
I think about flying for nearly 10 hours in such a suit......
While he was in his suit at the beginning and end of the flight, even he got tired of it as he slept without it and without mask or gloves. Maybe he figured that all of us in F and the crew were "clean". LOL.

Originally Posted by cockpitvisit View Post
Thanks for a great trip report so far, looking forward to more! Cutbacks on LH seem by far not as bad as I expected to see (at least when it comes to premium cabins). Very surprised the skytrain in FRA is still running - since the terminal 2 is closed due to covid, I expected the skytrain to be closed as well.
Thanks very much cockpitvisit. In the air, LH seems pretty close to business as usual.

Originally Posted by YYCCL3 View Post
Thanks for sharing! I might just try LH F LAX-FRA in a few weeks time so good to see an up to date report of onboard service. I've travelled two round trips North America / Europe this summer and on each long haul flight I saw at least one person wearing the full Tyvek suit. It's puzzling - and must be very uncomfortable!
If you have the time and the miles, I'd definitely go for in even with the nonsense that is FRA. Thanks YYCCL3.

Originally Posted by chongl View Post
Too bad FCT isn't open at the moment. Maybe they'll have a COVID duck when they come back
LOL. Good one chongl.

Originally Posted by mdtakamine View Post
SFO777 Thank you - you always have incredible trip reports!! My wife and I took a trip to Greece last year and took some of your recommendations with the Canaves Oia as well as a photo tour.
Thank you so much mdtakamine and for your kind comments. So pleased to hear that you enjoyed Canaves Oia last year. Oia is a magical place.

Originally Posted by gpeso8 View Post
Happy Birthday, SFO777! So happy to see you and Mrs. SFO777 traveling again. Where in Tustin did you get the COVID-19 PCR? I'm taking a trip in a few weeks where I will need a quick turn around. We are in Orange County right now and Tustin is rather convenient for us.
Thanks very much gpeso8. It was great to be traveling again especially with so few people on planes and so few tourists. Not good for airlines and local hotels and restaurants but great for travelers if one is so inclined. We used EqualTox Labs on Parkway Loop. They were efficient and professional. Vanessa is the personable gatekeeper at the front desk and she'll explain all the options. They have lab facilities right on site and indeed, do the lab work for many testing facilities..

Originally Posted by fly747first View Post
The current F amenity kit looks awful. Did everyone give funny looks to the guy in 3A? lol
Surprising, the BA F amenity kit was better... about the only thing on BA that was better. LOL. I didn't notice any funny looks at hazmat guy, especially since he was sitting well behind us.

Originally Posted by daniellam View Post
SFO777, I was reading ahead on your website and you might have mentioned that you will be flying back on BA F. Perhaps you can send in a complaint to BA after the flight and when doing so make sure you provide them with links to your LH F trip report?
Speaking of BA, we returned last night on BA269. The difference between LH and BA was like night any day. A good crew can make a world of difference and our LHR-LAX crew was pretty disinterested in service. The box meal and plastic cups/utensils protocol is laughable. But, but, but, it's for your safety in the COVID era. Nice to see Germany, unlike the UK, has cured COVID for airline catering. By contrast, the FA on our SPU-LHR connecting flight was simply amazing. Too bad he wasn't working long-haul. I'll definitely send in a complaint on the long-haul service, or lack thereof.

As just for laughs, proof that nothing says BA First better than cheap champagne and plastic cups.

Originally Posted by johnashw View Post
You may be interested in this account of how recently things were so different in Dubrovnik. Paul Davies (the reporter in the link below) lives in our village and is a very good friend of ours and has some amazing tales about what happened in the Balkan Wars. He had a very moving reunion there recently. He stayed at the Villa Argentina though!!
https://www.itv.com/news/2019-05-28/...lped-save-city
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...6FORM%3DHDRSC4
Thank you very much johnashw for those links. Appreciate them as we are fascinated about that era. One night there, we watched BBC documentary "The Death of Yugoslavia" on the recommendation of our guide. We'll definitely check our your link. Thanks again.
cmd320 likes this.

Last edited by SFO777; Sep 20, 20 at 4:12 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: