Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Dubrovnik and Croatia's Spectacular Dalmatian Coast via Lufthansa First Class

Dubrovnik and Croatia's Spectacular Dalmatian Coast via Lufthansa First Class

Old Sep 16, 20, 1:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Happy [60/70]th birthday! Looks like a good flight over. Looking forward to the rest.
Calchas likes this.
Old Sep 16, 20, 1:13 pm

Programs: VA,GA, SQ, IHG, HH, Europcar
Originally Posted by stu1985 View Post
Happy [60/70]th birthday! Looks like a good flight over. Looking forward to the rest.
Being a bit cheeky there Stu1985, I am certain that SFO777 is a 1960 baby rather than a 1950 baby.

SFO777 hope your birthday was super special,the Croatian coast is on our bucket list, you are so lucky to be able to go to an airport and get an on international flight, we cannot leave out state at the moment, let alone the country.

We had a month booked at our home in Bali for May - rebooked for November, (currently no international travel from Australia without a border pass ( and they knock back 66% of applicants) so we booked a road trip to Queensland from Sydney to look for our new home ( to retire in) and the border between QLD and NSW is closed, with no real indication when it will be opened.

So enjoy
stu1985 likes this.
Old Sep 16, 20, 2:51 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Gold
Happy Birthday SFO777! Glad to see another international F trip report from you.

I read ahead on your website and noticed you said you got your COVID swab test the day before travel. Where did you get it done, if you don't mind me asking? And did the results come back before you left LA?

I'm flying EK to DXB next month, so looking for a place with quick swab test turnaround time. I'm in NY, but just trying to get a better idea of what type of place to go to for the test, so I get it back in time. Only hiccup is my flight is on a Monday, so I need to get tested Friday earliest and have the results back by sometime Monday latest.
Old Sep 16, 20, 7:23 pm

Programs: DL/AF, One Man Street Fair in my spare time
Terrific reporting, as always. If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery -- I'm not far behind you. Shortly after my 60th (in two weeks) - I am SFO-LAX-CDG-DBV (La Premiere for LAX-CDG) - and - I'm staying at the Excelsior in Dubrovnik! So this is beyond interesting and helpful for me : ) Felicitations on your natal day and I hope many more great trips are ahead.
Old Sep 16, 20, 9:02 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
So glad you and Mrs SFO777 are flying again; I love your reports!
And great to see the Queen of the Skies/
Old Sep 16, 20, 9:18 pm

Programs: Delta GM, IHG Gold, HH Silver
Great report as always, SFO777 and looking forward to the rest. I've seen multiple reports about LH and definitely interesting they have not cut back with any of their high level of service given the circumstances we are all living in now!

Beautiful photos so far from Dubrovnik. This is also a place I'd like to visit sometime, I'm excited to see all the photos from the rest of your report here!

Happy Birthday!

Matthew
Old Sep 17, 20, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, AA LT PLT 2mm, TP Gold *G
Originally Posted by boscobjgd View Post
Thank you for this report! My husband and I also did Croatia a few weeks ago and had a similar surreal experience at LAX. We flew KLM on the way out and LH back (business). Although I hate the hard product the soft product on LH is really just superior, especially now. We had debated flying first on LH (my husband has yet to experience) but I didn't think it was worth the additional points without the car service and with the first class terminal being closed. I see above you said these won't be coming back ever - can that be true??
Thank you boscobjgd. It's crazy how deserted LAX is these days. And sadly, it does appear that the car service and First Class terminal are gone forever, at least for now.

Originally Posted by wakesetter93 View Post
Woo! Stoked for this TR, saw it teased on your site the other day
Thanks wakesetter93.

Originally Posted by stu1985 View Post
Thank you very much stu1985.

Originally Posted by adampenrith View Post
Being a bit cheeky there Stu1985, I am certain that SFO777 is a 1960 baby rather than a 1950 baby. SFO777 hope your birthday was super special,the Croatian coast is on our bucket list, you are so lucky to be able to go to an airport and get an on international flight, we cannot leave out state at the moment, let alone the country. We had a month booked at our home in Bali for May - rebooked for November, (currently no international travel from Australia without a border pass ( and they knock back 66% of applicants) so we booked a road trip to Queensland from Sydney to look for our new home ( to retire in) and the border between QLD and NSW is closed, with no real indication when it will be opened. So enjoy
Thanks so much adampenrith. No comment on the age thing though. LOL. The Australia lock down is simply crazy. I had plans to visit both Melbourne and Sydney at the end of November as part of another RTW, but obviously we've had to reroute.

Originally Posted by S.R View Post
Happy Birthday SFO777! Glad to see another international F trip report from you. I read ahead on your website and noticed you said you got your COVID swab test the day before travel. Where did you get it done, if you don't mind me asking? And did the results come back before you left LA? I'm flying EK to DXB next month, so looking for a place with quick swab test turnaround time. I'm in NY, but just trying to get a better idea of what type of place to go to for the test, so I get it back in time. Only hiccup is my flight is on a Monday, so I need to get tested Friday earliest and have the results back by sometime Monday latest.
Thank you S.R. My recommendation would be to check with your doctor. My OC doc recommended a great lab in Tustin about 30 minutes from our house in South Orange County. Regular swab up the nose PCR results take 24 hours. That costs $100. They offered expedited same day (5-6 hour turnaround) results for $250. We arrived around noon Thursday and I picked up the results later that day. Flew out on Friday and landed at DBV at 5:30pm Saturday... so 45 hours or so after the test. UAE and DXB are not that strict, maybe 72 hours from departure. In your case with a Monday flight, Friday test might work. Some labs work Saturday, not too many Sunday I would think. Enjoy Dubai. A friend and I are flying JFK-DXB EK First in November as part of that RTW. We lucked out when EK swapped out the A380 with a 77W with new First Suites, so our award seat tickets transferred over.

Originally Posted by ebayj View Post
Terrific reporting, as always. If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery -- I'm not far behind you. Shortly after my 60th (in two weeks) - I am SFO-LAX-CDG-DBV (La Premiere for LAX-CDG) - and - I'm staying at the Excelsior in Dubrovnik! So this is beyond interesting and helpful for me : ) Felicitations on your natal day and I hope many more great trips are ahead.
Thank you very much ebayj. What a small world. Happy to give you a preview. Enjoy La Premičre. In retrospect, I kind of wish I had kept our AF reservation given the mess that was Frankfurt. Enjoy Croatia. It is something special.

Originally Posted by HawaiiFlyerDC8 View Post
So glad you and Mrs SFO777 are flying again; I love your reports!
And great to see the Queen of the Skies/
Thanks so much HawaiiFlyerDC8.

Originally Posted by 757 View Post
Great report as always, SFO777 and looking forward to the rest. I've seen multiple reports about LH and definitely interesting they have not cut back with any of their high level of service given the circumstances we are all living in now!
Beautiful photos so far from Dubrovnik. This is also a place I'd like to visit sometime, I'm excited to see all the photos from the rest of your report here! Happy Birthday!
Matthew
Thank you very much Matthew. I appreciate it.
ebayj and stu1985 like this.
Old Sep 17, 20, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The Special Hell that is Frankfurt/Main International Airport

Nothing was a bigger contrast from our wonderful flight than arriving at Frankfurt airport. This sorry excuse for an airport is arguably the worst major airport hub in the world. To make matters worse, Lufthansa operations changed our scheduled arrival gate and decided to park us close to Siberia, at Gate A69, the furthest gate away from civilization such as it is at FRA.

Mr. Hazmat leading us up to the Z level of terminal. Check out the gloves. And his Hello Kitty backpack. Yikes.

And away we go for the long, long, long trek to try to get into Germany for three hours, because Lufthansa's only open First Class Lounge is the one in the A concourse... in Germany. The A concourse may be directly underneath the Z concourse, but it may as well be in another time zone.

The terminal is so dead with so few gates used that McDonald's is closed. Even more bizarre that LH would park us at A69/Z69.

About 10 minutes later, we followed the Hello Kitty Hazmat guy down to immigration.

Despite assurances from a Lufthansa agent at the Lufthansa First Class Hotline that we'd be able to enter Germany to visit the First Class Lounge, reality was a hard no. Officer was quiet nice about the whole thing. He called his supervisor to check, then had another officer guide us back towards B. Another long trek, followed by a train, security and one more long trek. In retrospect I would have been far better off with Air France. At least we'd have had a personal assistant with us trekking around CDG.

And more walking. Yeah, I feel your pain.

Finally, some 45 minutes later, Gate B43 and the Business Class Lounge.

A far cry from the First Class Lounge, the Senator Lounge is pretty basic.

But at least it had a quiet room with lie flat beds, which is all Mrs. SFO777 wanted at the moment. And she slept for a good 3 hours.

While I went to check out the rest of the lounge.

The food and beverage area.

"Meal service" was a pathetic selections of anemic looking sandwiches, and a warm rice and chicken option.

I joined the queue for a shower and was alerted about 45 minutes later.

After a shower, off to work and a snack.

At 2:45pm the lounge dragon announced that the lounge would be closing at 3pm. Those with later departures are apparently SOL with Lufthansa.

And Lufthansa was not done playing games with us today, as our FRA-DBV gate was changed from nearby B47 to distant B22. Just to rub it in B22 is adjacent to the shuttered B First Class Lounge.

LOL.

lamphs likes this.

Last edited by SFO777; Sep 20, 20 at 10:45 am
Old Sep 17, 20, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Lufthansa Euro-fraud Business Class to Dubrovnik

Frankfurt FRA to Dubrovnik DBV

Lufthansa LH 1416
September 12, 2020
A319
Seats 1DF

As with most European Business Class, European domestc Business Class a pathetic Economy Seat with an open middle. Fortunately, I was able to select row 1 bulk head seats, the only good seats in Euro-fraud Business Class.

The best of a bad lot.

In flight, excellent service and unlikely BA, real glassware.

On approach to Dubrovnik.

Our other option, Air France, had landed just ahead of us.

We lucked out on the walk to immigration as I noticed an elevator just before the stairs (no escalator) down to immigration. We appeared to be the only two aware of it and it opened up at a short queue and way in front of those pax on the stairs and coming from the other side of the terminal.

The line moved quickly and we had absolutely no issues at immigration. The only thing that the officer asked for was our negative PCR test results. We had taken the test the day before departure and arrived 45 hours after swab up the nose. Got the impression that the 48 hours was not a hard 48 hours, just as long as the test was 2 calendar days before. YMMV though obviously. I stopped at an ATM and then headed outside where our driver was waiting with our name on an ipad.

lamphs and cmd320 like this.

Last edited by SFO777; Sep 19, 20 at 2:39 am
Old Sep 17, 20, 3:44 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.8MM 1K , DL GM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, BW Plat, Hertz #1 Gold PC, Avis Preferred
Looking forward to the rest! My friends in Croatia tell me the place is rammed full with people currently (perhaps because it's one of the few places in Europe open for business). Hope you got away from the crowds.
Old Sep 17, 20, 9:46 am

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Mr. Hazmat is hilarious.
Old Sep 17, 20, 9:48 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by cmd320 View Post
Mr. Hazmat is hilarious.
I think about flying for nearly 10 hours in such a suit......
cmd320 likes this.
Old Sep 17, 20, 11:08 am

Thanks for a great trip report so far, looking forward to more! Cutbacks on LH seem by far not as bad as I expected to see (at least when it comes to premium cabins). Very surprised the skytrain in FRA is still running - since the terminal 2 is closed due to covid, I expected the skytrain to be closed as well.
Old Sep 17, 20, 11:08 am

Thanks for sharing! I might just try LH F LAX-FRA in a few weeks time so good to see an up to date report of onboard service.

I've travelled two round trips North America / Europe this summer and on each long haul flight I saw at least one person wearing the full Tyvek suit. It's puzzling - and must be very uncomfortable!
Old Sep 17, 20, 11:40 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Too bad FCT isn't open at the moment. Maybe they'll have a COVID duck when they come back
JohnRain likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: