Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Idaho Ho! Off To Idaho I Go! (SNA-SLC-LWS)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2020, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MARRIOTT TITANIUM / HILTON GOLD / UA SILVER / AMEX PLAT

SUMMARY:
SNA to SLC DL2237
SLC Airport and SkyClub Lounge
SLC to LWS DL4281
Lewiston

John Wayne Airport (SNA) to Salt Lake City (SLC)

With the COVID pandemic, most travel both business and professional has come to a standstill. However, this Labor Day weekend I was invited to my friends cabin in Lewiston, Idaho. Normally, I would have been hesitant to travel as to limit the spread of COVID and not get infected myself as I work in a "essential" industry. However, the firm that I work for has been think of expanding into Lewiston, as it has the one of the few inland ports in the Western United States.

Please note that Delta will not allow masks with valves. If you need mask they will provide one for you.

So off to Lewiston I go. I live in Orange County, CA so the ideal airport to travel out of is John Wayne. Not having traveled of of SNA since November 2019, the airport is noticeably different, here at John Wayne all but the B terminal security was closed. Additionally, TSA PreCheck is only partially effective. While the line is somewhat shorter, you will be required to take out any laptops and other large electronic devices but shoes can stay on.

Once past security, many of the amenities that I have previously enjoyed are now closed. Both the American and United lounges are not open until further notice, as well as Ruby's Diner. Even for SNA and accounting for the uptick in travel, especially for a holiday weekend, it was surprisingly empty. One point of commendation was the announcements made by Delta and their commitment to keep the aircraft sanitized.

A mostly empty terminal.
lamphs likes this.

Last edited by OUTraveling; Sep 7, 2020 at 8:52 pm Reason: Added Summary
Old Sep 6, 2020, 9:34 am
Original Poster

DL2237
SNA-SLC

The flight was on an Airbus A220-100 and was about 60% full of normal capacity, if you account COVID separation it was about 75% capacity. Fares were not that expensive for a holiday weekend but were on the high end of normal. Given that the flight was less than two hours and the COVID restrictions, I booked Delta Comfort + instead of first class. While the Comfort+ ticket does not cover checked baggage, I was pleasantly surprised that refreshments and snacks were included in he price.

lamphs and Carfield like this.
Old Sep 6, 2020, 8:44 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, UA Premier Platinum, OneWorld Emerald, VA Platinum
What is that contraption the woman behind the counter is holding up? Looks like a high-pressure washer!.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 2:23 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Originally Posted by Guvner067
What is that contraption the woman behind the counter is holding up? Looks like a high-pressure washer!.

I was thinking the exact same thing!! Does look rather odd - almost like a 2020 version of a sword.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Must be the sanitizing spray hose/wand they use to decontaminate the cabin with.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

The worker stated it was the decontamination, but I wonder why they did not use the electrostatic spray they made a big hubub about. Anyways on to the Sky Club at SLC.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 11:23 pm
Original Poster

SLC Airport and SkyClub

As with all of SLC a mask policy is enforced in the lounge if you are not eating or drinking.

Good times are coming for the Delta SkyClub in Salt Lake CIty, specifically they will be opening a much larger lounge with an outdoor terrace in late September. Sadly, I will not be travelling then to enjoy the new amenities. As far as regular lounges go, the one at Salt Lake City was excellent. The food was individually wrapped and pretty tasty. The only minor thing that I believe could have been improved was they could get some decent cup noodles; some nice A-Sha ramen would have made it perfect (however since I used my AMEX Platinum Card I didn't want to bring it up). Personally, I enjoyed the Club sandwich and the salad. The only snack they had was Cheez It's but they were pretty nice.

The full spread included:
Club Sandwiches
Caprese Sandwich
Tomato and Mozzarella
Antipasta
Cheese and Pepperoni
Pretzels and Hummus
Garbanzo Beans
Green Salad
Cheez Its
Assorted Fruit (wrapped)
Cup Noodles.
Banana Pudding
Assorted Cookies

Capacity wise it was very light given the COVID and the Delta is mostly a business carrier. In addition to the mask requirement, other COVID precautions were that masks were plentiful, hand sanitizer stations were ubiquitous, and they had segregated seating for individuals and groups travelling together. After my meal, I said goodbye to the lounge attendants and walked to airport a little bit.

Sadly, I seems that many of the smaller businesses did not make it or have ceased operations indefinitely. This includes the Priority Pass massage providers. On a positive note, the food court in Terminal 2 is open. Finally, the end to COVID might be near as the emotional support doggies, in all their poopy glory, are back!

lamphs, roadwarrier and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 11:58 pm
Original Poster

DL4281
SLC-LWS

After a bit of exploring the airport, it was time to board my flight. Now, as I was one or the four passengers on this flight aboard a Bombardier CRJ200 it almost felt like I was on Delta Private Jets. Given then shorter flight time of just over an hour and smaller aircraft the only service aboard was a snack bag with Ceez-It, hand sanitizer, a Biscoff cookie, and water. Nothing really remarkable to say about the flight.

lamphs likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 9:01 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Now, as I was one or the four passengers on this flight aboard a Bombardier CRJ200 it almost felt like I was on Delta Private Jets.

Loads of social distancing then.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Thanks for a nice report!
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.