Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Club Europe (Club World) BA 787-8 LHR > ZRH

Old Jul 30, 2020, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver

Having not flown since Feb & air corridors were in place, a day trip LHR-ZRH on the BA 787-8 in Club Europe which of course means club World cabin was booked. Returning on same aircraft.

Arrival T5 at 0700 and terminal was moderately busy with quite a few flights on the board :

Arrived T5 at 0700. Terminal was moderately busy with quite a few flights on the board.

Check in was via First Wing, accessed by BAEC Gold :

Never queued before !!!

Have a spare Ł46K, this can be yours !!?!

Usual horse greeting & into the F Lounge. Food is ordered via the scan code on your table with everything being brought to your table :

Hello there - haven’t seen you in a while !

All food ordered from here.

Lovely !

Have to wash the breakfast down with a couple of these - lovely !

It was time to head to the gate. B gates today, so a quick one stop on the train :

A350-1000 on push back for TLV - what a beauty ! Flew (not this aircraft) the A350 to Madrid last year - Club Suite, definitely a business class upgrade on the seat I was flying today.

My aircraft. Boeing 787-8. G-ZBJK.

Haven’t seen this cabin for a while.

Club World cabin views :

My seat 2A.

This seat gets a lot of ’stick’ but I actually like it. Apart from staring at someone in the face (takeoff & landing) I like all aspects of the seat, very comfortable.

No IFE today.

Tray table folds out & can be halved if just for drinks.

Pushback.

The take off sensation was one I’d not felt since Feb - felt good to be back in the air !

Cruising.

Lovely day for a flight.

As expected the full service is not back yet. We received a brown paper bag containing a cheese & ham croissant, pretzels & bottle of water. Plus the beers I ordered. Was told Speedbird not available anymore - CC told me it was just a 2019 thing ?!? Ummm ... not sure about that.

On the decel into ZRH.

The green lands of Switzerland.

Arrived.

I returned on same aircraft 1.30H later. Not sure I would have taken this flight if it was the usual A320 family of aircraft. The 787 made it that extra bit special, getting CW cabin. The CC were slightly confused to see me re board but after explaining they were really interested & enthused by my own enthusiasm.

Although the future is still very much uncertain, it was great to be back in the air !!
SFO777, alex67500 and airoli like this.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Good for you THEOBCMAN. What a fun day it looked like especially with a (semi) proper J seat... way better than the A320 experience. Like my first in 6 months trip last week, I'm sure it feel so good to be back in the air. I like the order by app and delivery to your seat in the lounge. Great pics, thanks for sharing.

P.S. I'm confused by your handle details which says "Programs: BAEC Silver" even though you mentioned BAEC Gold in your report.
THEOBCMAN likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFO777
Good for you THEOBCMAN. What a fun day it looked like especially with a (semi) proper J seat... way better than the A320 experience. Like my first in 6 months trip last week, I'm sure it feel so good to be back in the air. I like the order by app and delivery to your seat in the lounge. Great pics, thanks for sharing.

P.S. I'm confused by your handle details which says "Programs: BAEC Silver" even though you mentioned BAEC Gold in your report.
Many thanks ! Yes it really was a fun day out, very enjoyable. Handle says Silver but actually made Gold before lockdown. Haven’t updated. Cheers
Old Aug 4, 2020, 6:34 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Thanks for the TR!

If you don't mind me asking, how was the back to back? I'm guessing with a longer turnaround for a heavy bird, and a quieter airport it wasn't difficult at all, but I wondered about the logistics (did you have to go landside, through security, etc.). The B2B thread mentions dropping you airside but going through security, is it like FRA? I haven't been in ages so I can't remember how it works at ZRH.
THEOBCMAN likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alex67500
Thanks for the TR!

If you don't mind me asking, how was the back to back? I'm guessing with a longer turnaround for a heavy bird, and a quieter airport it wasn't difficult at all, but I wondered about the logistics (did you have to go landside, through security, etc.). The B2B thread mentions dropping you airside but going through security, is it like FRA? I haven't been in ages so I can't remember how it works at ZRH.
Many thanks ! It was fun !
I had 1h40min at ZRH so not the normal hour. I didn’t really take much notice of how a B2B would work - Because of the layover time we were always going to go landside for couple of smokes & back in again. Obviously plenty of time to get out & back (Queues were minimal everywhere). Sorry can’t say more than that - but plenty of time on the ground for this flight. Cheers
alex67500 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.