Un ballo in maschera?!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2020, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Melia Genova

It´s time to visit our suite. There was a seal the room was disinfected. It remained there until I removed it after 3 days.

After we entered we could decide between 3 directions. On the right the powder room.

In front of us the living room with a kind of an office. I must say this additonal room was one of the most wired I ever saw.

Everything disinfected......

To the left came another floor with 3 further choices. On the right the bedroom.

On the left the closet with the professionally attached information sheet.

Straight forward the bathroom with a little wired design. The small first room with single vanity (this first I had in a Presidential Suite) and the whilpool tub.

Next came an nearly useless corner room, the toilet and the shower.

As indicated no water was available, but fortunately a supermarket was across the road.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Melia Genova

The perhaps most special part of the suite is the huge terrace with a whilpool.

The whirlpool was quite nice but had a few problems. First it wasn´t possible to switch it out completely so it was running all the time. Second there wasn´t a way to refill it yourself and from day to day less water was inside as staff didn´t refill it. Last day it was like this what was quite loud.

The suite was surely not perfect but OK in my eyes. Considering the price we paid it would have been a good deal and was still acceptable.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Melia Genova

While the restaurant was closed they served breakfast. If it comes to security I would have found a breakfast via room service safer but they think different. Other than stated in the email breakfast was not served a la carte, it was a"served buffet". Sometimes it wasn´t easy to get what you want as the staffs English was not very well. Also there was often a longer line in front of the buffet and one table which was often occupied stood near to the line. If security really counts this is a no go.

Quality was nothing special as the choices. The restaurant itself is modern but not build of high quality materials and shows some age. Such a seat pad is pitiful....

Old Sep 19, 2020, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Melia Genova

Last let´s talk about location. They claim they are only a stone throw away from the historic center. Well,it´s quite easy to throw stones on the center as you are on a nice hill. The 10 to 15 minutes wasl means you always have to take a lot of steps. As all interesting restaurants are on the lower lever you always have to walk back the stairs. I can´t call location really good.

Without question Melia Genova was the weakest link of the 4 hotels we stayed and even if it culd be expected some things were annoying. In my eyes they handled the Covid-situation not well, especially compared to the other hotels on our journey. The problem was not we had to wear a mask inside the building, also I could live with a temperature check always when I enter even as it is laughable in my eyes. No, many things were cost cuts under the coat of safety. I never felt home in this hotel and I regret I didn´t cancel the fourth night. Both Da Vittorio and PHV would have been a much better choice. Initially I also thought about the prohibitive expensive Belmond Portofino, but beside the fact the price was outrageous I´m glad I didn´t for another reason. Will report when it comes to Portofino.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Dinner: Le cicale in cita Genova

My initial plan was to eat the first evening at the hotel, the 2nd at "The Cook", the 3rd at a Pizza place and to do room service at our terrace at the 4th. As the restaurant was closed we had to change plans and I consulted the Michelin. On of the recommended restaurant near the hotel were Le Cicale so we decided to try it.
The walk is not very long be we got familiar wir the lovely steps. At least you have different to choose between. The restaurant is furnished quite interesting and has character.

Chef Matteo Costa came and explained us the menu. First we got bread and an amuse bouche.

GF took a tuna salad.

I took Crudo di pesce. When the plate came I thought it´s a lot. Before I could try anything they brought some more small dishes. It was really a lot, they served everything they can do with raw fish. Impressive and with 45 € fairly priced but you are full after the appetizer.

The pasta course was also not small.

I can´t say it was easy to eat the full main course.....

At this point I stopped it and skiped dessert what I normally never do. But it was simply impossible. The food quality was really good and even if it wasn´t cheap (171 € with water) it was absolutely OK for this amountnand quality of food. A very enjoyable Italian meal.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Porta Soprana Genova

Next morning it was time to discover Genova. After going down some different stairs we stood in front of Porta Soprana and a notable number of scooters.

Also nice from the other side

or at night with Casa Columbus.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

St. Andrew cloister ruins Genova

Next to Porta Soprano is located are St. Andrews cloister ruins.

clkc86 likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Chiesa del Gesu

First church we visited was del Gesu.

Inside the pompous are 2 paintings by Rubens.

Old Sep 21, 2020, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Cathedral San Lorenzo Genova

The cathedral is well known for it´s facade with 2 lions.

The interior

Cappella di San Giovanni Battista

Old Sep 22, 2020, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Chiesa di San Pietro in Banchi

Interesting small church near the harbor:

Old Sep 23, 2020, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Piazza De Ferrari Genova

Piazza De Ferrari is the central place of Genova with the Palazzo Ducale, the Carlo Felice Theatre, the Stock Exchange and other important buildings.

Also interesting at night

clkc86 likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Palazzo Ducale Genova

Palazzo Ducale has 2 fronts. One at Piazza Giacomo Matteotti

and one at Piazza De Ferrari

Sala major

At this time was a Monet-Exhibition at the Palace which showed one picture by Giovanni Boldini

and the one by Monet

Entrance fee was 7 €, you had 5 minutes to look at the picture. Unusual concept....
Old Sep 23, 2020, 8:30 pm

I assume there were other paintings to look at beyond these 2, that were included in the price? I am fine with the time restriction under the assumption that it has thinned out the crowd enough so that viewing is not a logistical problem,,,?
Old Sep 24, 2020, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xooz
I assume there were other paintings to look at beyond these 2, that were included in the price? I am fine with the time restriction under the assumption that it has thinned out the crowd enough so that viewing is not a logistical problem,,,?
No, just this 2 paintings and a short movie during the wait (only 1 person or couple was allowed in front of the picture).
I didn't know before but when I bought the tickets they told me it would be just 1 painting. Objective 7 € are of course too much for it, no question.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Gelateria La Dolce Morella Genova

Time for a little gelato!

Quite good
clkc86 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.