Un ballo in maschera?!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2020, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Dinner Villa Crespi 1

The main reason many people visit Villa Crespi is the famous restaurant which holds 2 Michelin stars. Chef Antonino Cannavacciuolo is a TV-star.
Booking wasn´t easy as I first got a call they only had a place on their waitlist. When I told them as a guest at the hotel I expect availability they appologized that they didn´t know I´m a hotel guest. My table was confirmed. When I asked later for a table at the second evening they confirmed it woudn´t be a problem.
We ate at the wintergarden which is a nice room.

They offer 2 tasting menus. The 5 course costs 150 €, the 7 course 190 €. For the first dinner we choosed the 5 course, I additionally took a cheese course (20 €)

The dinner was good. I can´t say it was over the top but good 2 star level.
After the dinner we were asked if we had masks. We were surprised and had to deny as we had left them at our room. They provided us masks and we learned About the reason. They showed us the kitchen which is the biggest in a 2 or 3 star I ever saw.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 12:54 am

I am considering a tour of the Lakes in October, driving across from the UK. I'll do it if the Covid situation remains sort of under control. Because of this I am following this thread with some interest and excitement. It's an area I know but not for some years and I don't need to fly there which is a positive. So thank you, offerendum, for all your efforts so far.

I'll make this observation. Lake Orta might be regarded as the prettiest of all the lakes, if only because of its intimate scale, its relative lack of tourism and its small island off the main town. The view is utterly magical. Staying here poses a bit of a problem. I'm sure the Villa Crespi is the best place to stay by far but , as you say, it lacks a decent view, proper gardens or a pool. Hotel San Rocca down the road has all that for a third of the price and there are B&Bs with knockout views. People go to Villa Crespi for the food. When in Italy I like to eat some simple pasta, a risotto, grilled fish or maybe a veal fillet or cotechino with lentils. In other words, authentic Italian food in Italy. Judging by your excellent photos, Villa Crespi food looks exactly like the food you get at any two or three star, overpriced Michelin joint these days, anywhere in the world. It isn't Italian food, or French food . . . it's Michelin food. Sitting through those multi-course marathon dinners isn't something I am remotely interested in these days. I end those dinners bored and exhausted. And hungry.

I am greatly looking forward to your account of the Castello di Guarene and finding out if you succumbed to the nearby two-star Madernassa which seems to have a bliss-out setting but impossibly pretentious and expensive food.

Last edited by Pausanias; Aug 5, 2020 at 2:29 am
Old Aug 5, 2020, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by Pausanias
I am considering a tour of the Lakes in October, driving across from the UK. I'll do it if the Covid situation remains sort of under control. Because of this I am following this thread with some interest and excitement. It's an area I know but not for some years and I don't need to fly there which is a positive. So thank you, offerendum, for all your efforts so far.

I'll make this observation. Lake Orta might be regarded as the prettiest of all the lakes, if only because of its intimate scale, its relative lack of tourism and its small island off the main town. The view is utterly magical. Staying here poses a bit of a problem. I'm sure the Villa Crespi is the best place to stay by far but , as you say, it lacks a decent view, proper gardens or a pool. Hotel San Rocca down the road has all that for a third of the price and there are B&Bs with knockout views. People go to Villa Crespi for the food. When in Italy I like to eat some simple pasta, a risotto, grilled fish or maybe a veal fillet or cotechino with lentils. In other words, authentic Italian food in Italy. Judging by your excellent photos, Villa Crespi food looks exactly like the food you get at any two or three star, overpriced Michelin joint these days, anywhere in the world. It isn't Italian food, or French food . . . it's Michelin food. Sitting through those multi-course marathon dinners isn't something I am remotely interested in these days. I end those dinners bored and exhausted. And hungry.

I am greatly looking forward to your account of the Castello di Guarene and finding out if you succumbed to the nearby two-star Madernassa which seems to have a bliss-out setting but impossibly pretentious and expensive food.
I understand your point. While I don´t share your feelings about the food at Villa Crespi and other high end options it´s not for everyone. As Villa Crespi has no casual restaurant you always has to drive for dinner or walk around 15 minutes.
Regarding Lake Orta it was not lacking tourists even during Corona but it may be much more silent than Lago Maggiore.
Will also write something about La Madernassa, but the food will not be your cup of tea. I found it very good and reasonable priced (10 courses 180 €) but I fear you will not agree with me as it´s a long journey and objective of course a lot of Money and a classical 2 Michelin starred meal. Nevertheless around Guarene are many casual options (for example in Alba) but you have to drive. The restaurant at the Castello is not on 2 or 3 star level but still nice and at the edge to 1 star.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Lago Maggiore

The next morning we drove the Lago Maggiore. Mainly we wanted visit Isola Bella, the most famous of the Borromean Islands. When we arrived at the pier in Stresa it was pretty empty, not the norm in July I guess. On the boat to the Island we were the only passengers.

First view on Isola Bella

No problem with distance

Stresa with its hotel Palaces

Isola Madre

Fascinating…..

Here we are

Old Aug 7, 2020, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Isola Bella: Palazzo Borromeo

First we visited the Palazzo Borromeo which is a nice Building with many artworks. One can imagine that fabolous parties were celebrated here.

Old Aug 8, 2020, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Isola Bella: Garden

The masterpiece of Isola Bella is the garden with white peafowls.

Old Aug 9, 2020, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Stresa

Sresa is mostly the promenade with a nice park.

Old Aug 9, 2020, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Gelateria Riva Est Stresa

Time for a little gelato. Nothing too special but OK on a warm day.

Old Aug 12, 2020, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Arona

Little tour of Arona

Old Aug 13, 2020, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Lago di Orta

After a short break at Villa Crespi we went to Lago di Orta. Many people were sitting at the lakeshore and were swimming in the lake.It´s often called the most romantic lake. In fact it´s nice.

Old Aug 14, 2020, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Caffe La Piazetta - San Giulio di Orta

Some Ice Cream - nothing too special but a nice refreshment

Old Aug 14, 2020, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Che bel paese e che fotografie! Grazie!
offerendum likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Che bel paese e che fotografie! Grazie!
Grazie! Il piacere è tutto mio
Old Aug 14, 2020, 6:01 pm

I am enjoying your blue skies! I hope it's not too hot!
Old Aug 14, 2020, 11:46 pm

Love the photos, as a kid with family in the area we used to visit Lago Maggiore, although coming from France or Switzerland it was a bit of a schlep with my dad's R19.

Now, the question that got to be asked... why coppetta and not cono?!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.