Covid Photo Trip Report: AC/LH YOW-YYZ-FRA-AMS in J/Y

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Covid Photo Trip Report: AC/LH YOW-YYZ-FRA-AMS in J/Y

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2020, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by JTXC
While some of us will want to fly as soon as restrictions ease, few will pay for J before the re-opening of lounges and the restoration of J service.
Indeed. While some of the cuts are plausibly related to hygiene factors (no brewed coffee), others just seem opportunistic. I see nothing stopping AC from handing out sealed amenity kits and sealed liquor miniatures other than cheapness.
Old May 25, 2020, 4:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Yes, not even offering soft drinks in bottles or cans has nothing to do with preventing Coronavirus. It's all about cost-cutting.
The virus is largely spreading through aerosols. In modern aircraft the air is filtered very quickly.
The biggest danger for pax occurs in bus boarding situations or at crammed security checkpoints.
Old May 25, 2020, 4:27 pm
Suspended

Two points:

1) You are supposed to fill out a health declaration form when flying to The Netherlands. Did you do that?
2) You are supposed to go into 14 day quarantine when arriving in The Netherlands. Did you do that?
Old May 25, 2020, 5:35 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by warakorn
Yes, not even offering soft drinks in bottles or cans has nothing to do with preventing Coronavirus. It's all about cost-cutting.
The virus is largely spreading through aerosols. In modern aircraft the air is filtered very quickly.
The biggest danger for pax occurs in bus boarding situations or at crammed security checkpoints.
So agree with this. Give me a closed bottle of Gin (or anything) and a closed mixer, forget the ice. Also CDC released data to show how hard it is to get COVID from surfaces.
I suspected this would happen. Just wait for the COVID, surcharge on ticket prices......
BearX220 likes this.
Old May 25, 2020, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BearX220
Indeed. While some of the cuts are plausibly related to hygiene factors (no brewed coffee), others just seem opportunistic. I see nothing stopping AC from handing out sealed amenity kits and sealed liquor miniatures other than cheapness.
I agree, except no brewed coffee seems opportunistic as well.
Old May 25, 2020, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
I agree about frustration of reduced services but I really like the comfy seat when I buy discounted C (domestic 2-class F). I want a wider cozy seat.
Old May 26, 2020, 1:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by pilot007
Great report! Coincidentally, I also flew LHR to YYZ a day before you and returned last night too. Thought I'd spend only two weeks in Toronto, it ended up being two and half months! Feel very fortunate to be able to shelter at home in Canada while much of Europe suffered a far stricter lockdown. Regarding AC7200, that's a cargo only flight — it's interesting that they show up on the departure boards.

AC848 was a similar experience to yours, apparently 43 passengers onboard the 77W and 10 in J. I also had a deflated seat, hard as a bench. Fortunately had my pick of alternative seats like you did.
Haha, funny how these (near) coincidents happen. Would have been fun to have some FT company during my extended YYZ layover. Also did not realize that 7200 is a cargo flight. Interesting indeed that they show it on the departure boards.

Originally Posted by warakorn
Originally Posted by Doppy
I agree, except no brewed coffee seems opportunistic as well.
The lack of coffee was definitely the most frustrating part for me. I was hoping they'd at least have bottled or canned iced coffee for breakfast, but alas that was not the case.

PS: For anyone wondering whether I broke the law as someone baselessly speculated (), see this post.
pilot007 and DELee like this.
Old May 26, 2020, 4:41 am

Programs: Curb Your Enthusiasm, Fraggle Rock
Originally Posted by capedreamer
After take-off, dinner was served. The aforementioned covid adjustments by AC meant no pre-departure drinks, no amenity kits, no pillows, no noise-cancelling headphones, no hot towels, no pre-meal nuts and beverages, no table cloth, no tableware, no beverages other than water, and no choice in dinner options.
Kinda sounds like pre-pandemic J on TAP.
capedreamer likes this.
Old May 26, 2020, 11:56 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Thanks for this report. It would be interesting to compare the experience to long-haul J on another carrier these days. I have a nagging feeling that other airlines don't sense quite the same need to cut down on service and amenities as AC.

But of course, this is only for safety. Honi soit qui mal y pense!
capedreamer likes this.
Old May 26, 2020, 12:08 pm

Thanks for the informative TR.
I think 90% of the service cut is not due to COVID19 but from cheap cost saving measures that use COVID19 as an excuse.
So terrible...the government should not bail out AC and let them go bust.
capedreamer and Redmax like this.
Old May 26, 2020, 12:20 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL PM
Wow other than the seat on a longhaul it is absolutely pointless to fly business or first on some carriers (my understanding is Qatar is still offering regular biz class meals, etc).
capedreamer and Redmax like this.
Old May 26, 2020, 2:30 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE 100K, NEXUS, IHG Rewards
Wow, this makes me both miss and not miss flying these days. Thanks for sharing it!
capedreamer likes this.
Old May 26, 2020, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by capedreamer
We ended up arriving at 7:30am, but FRA has implemented a new social distancing procedure where deplaning is only allowed after bags have been offloaded. So it was another 10 minutes before we could deplane.
Are you referring to checked baggage? Passengers don't touch checked baggage until they get to their destination baggage carousel; how does this help anything?

Or is this for gate checked items that are returned on the jetbridge?
Old May 26, 2020, 11:31 pm
Suspended

First of all, even though I work for an airline I haven't flown since February, so thank you very much for this trip report.

Second of all, shame on Air Canada (and basically every other airline right now) and their lackluster offerings. I would understand if they were upfront with us and told us it was because they were trying to cut costs, but to try to pass it off as a "safety" necessity is cheap, insulting, and not a good way to win back premium passengers.
capedreamer likes this.
Old May 27, 2020, 12:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by Doppy
Are you referring to checked baggage? Passengers don't touch checked baggage until they get to their destination baggage carousel; how does this help anything?

Or is this for gate checked items that are returned on the jetbridge?
Keep in mind that this was the explanation given by the AC crew, so it may not be accurate, but yes, supposedly this is to avoid overcrowding at the baggage carousel.

Actually, there are 2 parts to it: (1) no deplaning until checked bags are off, (2) passengers are only let off in groups of 40 at a time. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Doppy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.