Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Britain’s Last Restaurant Car: GWR First Class Pullman Dining

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2020, 9:18 am

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
Originally Posted by subject2load
@ Genius1 - can confirm that it’s been added to my (growing !) list. Have been a fan of interesting trains ever since childhood.

I just checked out the website of my favourite rail aficionado / acknowledged expert, but was a tad disappointed to see no mention of this particular service - although he does cover the sleeper train to Cornwall. In fairness he tends to focus primarily on the practical aspects of rail, and on routes which are especially scenic .... rather than the ‘luxury’ end.

I have previously made good use of his site in relation to a couple of overseas trips : https://www.seat61.com
I had to double check this given that AFAIK Seat61 does love his share of luxury travel and has featured a number of special luxury trains in Asia, Europe, (South) Africa, and voila:

https://www.seat61.com/Cornwall-slee...don_&_Cornwall

It's a short mention, but it is definitely there on his website!

Anyway, thanks to Genius1 for the great little Trip Report! To me nothing beats a great meal on a train while watching the view - it's something which can be certainly as good and enjoyable as a premium flight. Let's hope for proper international rail services to be reinstated soon as well.
Genius1 likes this.
Old May 16, 2020, 9:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
@ Romanianflyer - thanks for the follow-up and link

Yes, I see there is a (brief) mention, and I obviously missed it - although I feel the TR provided by Genius1 is so thoroughly comprehensive that I’m not sure there is much more to learn about this service - other than actually taking it oneself !
Genius1 and Romanianflyer like this.
Old May 16, 2020, 10:24 am

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
I feel the TR provided by Genius1 is so thoroughly comprehensive that I’m not sure there is much more to learn about this service - other than actually taking it oneself !
I can absolutely second this.

I haven't visited the UK outside of London since my teenage years being towed along by my parents. I'd love to combine the GWR with the sleeper to Scotland and perhaps a flight or two there (Papa Westray), as well as a ferry to the Orkneys and Shetland Island. These trip reports aren't good for my itchy lockdown feet
Old May 17, 2020, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Well, that was certainly different ... and interesting! Not having been on a l/h train since 1981, it was quite a revelation!! Thanks for you efforts in compiling in your usual immaculate and informative style.

Oh, isn’t it complicated these days. There myst be a Railtalk forum somewhere out there to help the unitiated and tourists. I wouldn’t know where to start in this century!
Genius1 likes this.
Old May 18, 2020, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
although I feel the TR provided by Genius1 is so thoroughly comprehensive that I’m not sure there is much more to learn about this service - other than actually taking it oneself !
Originally Posted by Romanianflyer
I can absolutely second this.
Thank you both! That's what I am for in my reports - a balance of detail and photos that makes the reader feel like they're alongside me, and hopefully doesn't make you nod off whilst reading!

Originally Posted by T8191
Well, that was certainly different ... and interesting! Not having been on a l/h train since 1981, it was quite a revelation!! Thanks for you efforts in compiling in your usual immaculate and informative style.
Thank you T8191! I guess Jersey isn't overly endowed with trains...
Old May 19, 2020, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Genius1
Thank you T8191! I guess Jersey isn't overly endowed with trains...
Neither of Jersey's railways survived the omnibus and WW2..

1929 ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jersey_Eastern_Railway
1936 ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jersey_Railway
Genius1 likes this.
Old May 22, 2020, 8:33 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Diamond Ambassador, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Gold, Hilton Gold
Nice to see a train report. Having commuted between Reading and London for a good few years I've had plenty of experience on the older trains in both first and Standard class but less so since the new Class 800 trains have been added to the route. Having been on both the Great Western, and the East Coast Azuma version in standard class they seem pretty pleasant, though the first class seats/coaches do look pretty basic in comparison to what came before.

I also think your comparison with Pullman dining and a domestic business class flight interesting. Price wise I never though of it that way before.

On the other hand at least the lounge looks better than the East Midlands Trains one at St Pancras, that is absolutely dire.
Genius1 and roadwarrier like this.
Old May 22, 2020, 12:49 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Reminds me of the restaurant car service on the East Coast Mainline between London and Leeds/Edinburgh back in the days when GNER operated the franchise. I didn’t realise that GWR still had a Pullman Dining service.
Genius1 likes this.
Old May 31, 2020, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Great report! I always love seeing rail trips on FT!
Genius1 likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 7:49 pm
Suspended

Very nice report! I wish there were more restaurant cars left!!
Genius1 likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Thanks for all of the recent comments!

Originally Posted by T8191
Neither of Jersey's railways survived the omnibus and WW2..
Some interesting history there T8191!

Originally Posted by Spymon
I also think your comparison with Pullman dining and a domestic business class flight interesting. Price wise I never though of it that way before.
I hadn't considered it when booking, but writing the report it popped into my head, and I think it's a fair comparison. Pretty decent value, although not an experience I would need/want to repeat every time. I'll save future Pullman Dining trips for a special occasion/treat.

Originally Posted by mrow
I didn’t realise that GWR still had a Pullman Dining service.
I think it's one of the UK's least well known travel products, but I can't see why!
mrow likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.