Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

The United Island Hopper via Honolulu & Kauai, Hawaii, USA via Alaska First Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The United Island Hopper via Honolulu & Kauai, Hawaii, USA via Alaska First Class

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2020, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by DELee
Here's two shots.

Walking down from Kalalau Lookout, here's what I saw back in June 1985 - this is a composite stitch of a few shots that were originally taken on film and then the negatives later scanned:

Going fully digital in May 2018, here's another stitch with the mist/clouds in the way - this is the best of the set from that visit:

Again my thanks to worldtraveller76 for lighting the spark to get me to pull these together...might just add a few more...

David
Wowt DELee - what a major difference between the visits. It's certainly a special place that is timeless in it's appearance.

Originally Posted by nequine
Thanks for an enjoyable TR from you and looking forward to future ones once travel recommences at some point!
Thanks nequine. It's a hunker down period for now while we wait and see what happens.

In health...
nequine likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 1:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
What a great trip report. Thanks for sharing!

Oh the memories of Kauai... I can’t wait to go again. I’ll see if I can find my lookout pictures from several years ago. Was in Hawaii in October but didn’t make it to the garden island, just business in HNL.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
OP - Here are my some observations:

1. UA 154 is always an international flight. Micronesia and Marshall Island are sovereign nations each of their own, even with close tier with the U.S. under the Compact of Free Association.

However, its sister nonstop flight, UA 201, is a domestic flight (but considered as international by UA) given it travels within U.S. only.

2. The reason why you can't a stamp is you are a Canadian.

Under the Compact, the 2 nations have close tier with the U.S., providing preferential privilege to each of the Compact countries. However, because you are a Canadian, you are not subject to the Compact. So you will need proper immigration process, i.e. visa on arrival. In fact, you would need to pay $100 if you want to get a RMI stamp. The IO had done you a favor.

3. Guam has not been a "separate" area from the U.S. for a while, since 9/11. Before you exited the U.S., that's why you need to clear immigration and customs again.

For the nonstop, only custom is required (as Guam is its own custom area away from the U.S.).
offerendum likes this.
Old May 3, 2020, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by LondonElite
What a great trip report. Thanks for sharing!

Oh the memories of Kauai... I can’t wait to go again. I’ll see if I can find my lookout pictures from several years ago. Was in Hawaii in October but didn’t make it to the garden island, just business in HNL.
Thanks LondonElite ; one day we will all travel again!!

Originally Posted by garykung
OP - Here are my some observations:

1. UA 154 is always an international flight. Micronesia and Marshall Island are sovereign nations each of their own, even with close tier with the U.S. under the Compact of Free Association.

However, its sister nonstop flight, UA 201, is a domestic flight (but considered as international by UA) given it travels within U.S. only.

2. The reason why you can't a stamp is you are a Canadian.

Under the Compact, the 2 nations have close tier with the U.S., providing preferential privilege to each of the Compact countries. However, because you are a Canadian, you are not subject to the Compact. So you will need proper immigration process, i.e. visa on arrival. In fact, you would need to pay $100 if you want to get a RMI stamp. The IO had done you a favor.

3. Guam has not been a "separate" area from the U.S. for a while, since 9/11. Before you exited the U.S., that's why you need to clear immigration and customs again.

For the nonstop, only custom is required (as Guam is its own custom area away from the U.S.).
Thanks GaryKung; good to know. It seems most of the Island Hopper travellers are American; there's few Canadian travellers documented on this route. You are indeed correct that there is a fee, having now verified this on the Canadian Travel website; it seems it's $20 departure tax In FSM, and a visa is required handled through the USA Embassy of the Republic of the Marshall Islands in Washington DC (there is no Canadian representation). I'm not sure why I didn't bother to check before... perhaps it was because of all the travellers that had such ease before hand...
Old May 3, 2020, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
It seems most of the Island Hopper travellers are American; there's few Canadian travellers documented on this route.
Not exactly. Citizens of Micronesia and Marshall Island are the top travelers for the route. To those people, UA 154 is a life line. They go on and off the plane.

But to many of us, UA 154 is a leisure route. So only a few go all the way from HNL to GUM.

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
I'm not sure why I didn't bother to check before... perhaps it was because of all the travellers that had such ease before hand...
Most people don't know that those 2 countries are sovereign nations. Many actually believe they are part of the U.S. given the U.S. does a lot for them. For example, if a country has no diplomatic mission from Marshall Island, the U.S. diplomatic mission handles those matters. That's why many confuse.
Old May 9, 2020, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Not exactly. Citizens of Micronesia and Marshall Island are the top travelers for the route. To those people, UA 154 is a life line. They go on and off the plane.

But to many of us, UA 154 is a leisure route. So only a few go all the way from HNL to GUM.
Apologies GaryKung- that was a "lost in translation". What I meant to convey was that most of the documented trip reports were from US mainland based travellers. I agree that many of the travellers on the route are the locally based citizens of Micronesia / Marshall Island with the a healthy dose of US military as needed.
Old May 9, 2020, 3:54 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Island Hopper using reward Y class

I did this trip several years ago, I found your observations and pics very familiar. I also agree its good use of MP points.
The main difference is I stayed over in Palau. The "advice" @ the time was Guam was boring. Your experience seems to suggest otherwise.
I am esp. interested in how instrumental the Marshall Islands were in the development of the US nuclear program.
You found (as I did) that the later segments were busier than HNL-MAJ. I understand its because residents take the Island Hopper for offshore medical treatments.
Old May 10, 2020, 7:14 pm

Programs: asia miles
When to Majuro in 2009 for diving. Only flew part the hopper GUM-MAJ (with an stop at KSA compare to you) but all your pictures are exactly like I remember it. Nothing has change. Really good memories, thank you
Old May 16, 2020, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
I did this trip several years ago, I found your observations and pics very familiar. I also agree its good use of MP points.
The main difference is I stayed over in Palau. The "advice" @ the time was Guam was boring. Your experience seems to suggest otherwise.
I am esp. interested in how instrumental the Marshall Islands were in the development of the US nuclear program.
You found (as I did) that the later segments were busier than HNL-MAJ. I understand its because residents take the Island Hopper for offshore medical treatments.
Thanks for your support Antonio8069. I would love to get through more areas of the Marshall Islands and the corresponding history tour / sights but I think the reality are that unless you happen to be US Military, it's highly unlikely to see behind the screens there to get the full picture. All in all, a special part of the world seen by only a select few.

Originally Posted by blandy62
When to Majuro in 2009 for diving. Only flew part the hopper GUM-MAJ (with an stop at KSA compare to you) but all your pictures are exactly like I remember it. Nothing has change. Really good memories, thank you
Thanks blandy62. Based on the feedback from other readers, it doesn't seem like much changes in this part of the world. Let's hope it stays that way...
Old May 17, 2020, 5:30 am

Programs: ANA, JAL
That chili salt is awesome. Hope I have a chance to visit again to get another bottle!
Old May 31, 2020, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NishinomiyaDada
That chili salt is awesome. Hope I have a chance to visit again to get another bottle!
Indeed it is NishionmiyaDada - it's a pretty unique souvenir that keeps on giving once you get home. Thanks for your support.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 12:56 am

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Great Report WT73, reminds me when I did the Hopper back in Apr/May 2019.
Eff me, another one I should write a TR on in this lifetime

It's very Love/Hate for most people, Great Trip for plane enthusiast and adventure seeker.
The Beach/Relax type which Mrs.WT73 seem to be will definitely HATE it unless they like Scuba Diving
Or very remote Beach Retreat where you don't have to cell reception

Marshall Islands is only Visa-Free for US/Palau/Micronesia/Taiwan/EU27+UK.
If you're using a Canadian Passport, its 100 USD on arrival plus Police Record and Health Records.

If you can get your hands on one of the Visa-Free passport, it would be way more of a breeze since they ask for literally nothing at MAJ.
How many days and Hotel A or Hotel B

The Marshall Island Stamp in Question

And yes, definitely try to allocate time for some of the islands.
I say for sure do Koror and the Rock Islands/Jellyfish Lake.
Then pick your poison on 1-2 more stops, Truk/Chuuk is more avoidable unless you like diving.
Majuro is okay for a day or two if you are into the "Countries Visited" thing

*Palau, the Rock Island boat trips are divided into the Japanese/Korean/Chinese tour companies.
I suggest you do the Japanese (which is what I did), the 20 Japanese folks on the same boat will all go follow Japanese speaker and you get close to 1-1 attention with the Local in English.
And the Japanese lunch bento box wasn't half-bad either
The Chinese tour groups you can hear from a Mile Away

*For the transit stamps in Micronesia, just walk into the arrivals building like you're going to the place and tell the officers you are in transit and want the stamp.
Once stamped, go back out the way you came from and walk next door to the transit building
Sounds easy enough to do at an airport without getting arrested BAHAHA

Same as you, I don't find Guam to be half bad, if I wanted a "Beachy" retreat and avoid the Mainlanders
PS. Don't quote me on it but I believe the Sheraton Guam runs a shuttle to/from airport for Elites
I know I definitely didn't take a Taxi or Rented a Car for that 14 hour Connection.

Hell Mama SHF kinda wished we stayed at GUM on the last segment after the UA 73G had a Double Ground Return.

For your future reference when this virus pandemic is over, how I tackled it back in the day.

Day 1 - HKG-GUM redeye
Day 2 - Daytime Hotel at Sheraton Guam + GUM-ROR
Day 3/4/5 - Koror, Palau
Day 6 - ROR-GUM-TKK-PNI-KSA-KWA-MAJ
Day 7/8 - Majuro, Marshall Islands
Day 9 - MAJ-KWA-PNI
Day 10/11/12 - Pohnpei, FM Micronesia
Day 13 - PNI-TKK
Day 14 - TKK-GUM-HKG

Taken at Sokehs Ridge, Pohnpei

And I'll apologize for the intrusion, but would I suggest taking WT73Jr. along?
It's quite the eye-opener "Once in a Lifetime" Adventure going all the way out there
Romanianflyer likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
Day 1 - HKG-GUM redeye
Day 14 - TKK-GUM-HKG
Unfortunately, this is not going to happen.

The GUM-HKG route has been cancelled with the replacement of 2nd SFO-HKG route.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 12:25 pm

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Unfortunately, this is not going to happen.

The GUM-HKG route has been cancelled with the replacement of 2nd SFO-HKG route.

, was emphasizing the breaking up of days then anything else.
WT73 can swap HKG-GUM-HKG with MNL and that thing should still flow as usual.

I'm not sure if I see a GUM-HKG or a 2nd SFO-HKG coming back first.
Personally I see neither with the bleak HKG future.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 12:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
Great Report WT73, reminds me when I did the Hopper back in Apr/May 2019.
Eff me, another one I should write a TR on in this lifetime
I could use some ShF TR reading to keep me busy this winter!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.