Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Road Trip Spectacular Norway - Oslo to Trondheim

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2020, 12:29 am
Original Poster

Road Trip Spectacular Norway - Oslo to Trondheim

Norway is quite a distance away from Hong Kong. At the peak summer season, I was worried it would be a costly flight even if going the long way through the Middle East. Luckily, Finnair had a very affordable fare of just over HKD$5600 with a short stopover in Helsinki.

Flight Report : Hong Kong - Helsinki - Oslo
Hong Kong to Norway - the Quick Way on Finnair

To appreciate what the country has to offer, you need to drive long distances and make many unexpected stops along the way. A standard itinerary covering 1/3 the length of the country can easily fill 2 weeks, with every day being long and intense thanks to the midnight sun. My road trip could only go as north as Trondheim.

Section 1 : Oslo to Bergen (2 days)

The route between Oslo and Bergen is quite popular among tourists. For single travellers, many go for a public transport itinerary with a combination of rail and ferry connections. For a larger group, I would suggest renting a car, as you can stop along the way to enjoy the mountain scenery.

From Oslo to Bergen ...

For a food break, some gas stations offer hot meals at a more reasonable price. Norway is a very high-cost country.

While I had a specific list of attractions in mind along the journey, there were also many other random places that are worth a few minutes' break.

Near Hemsedal

You can easily have nature all to yourself. Other cars do occasionally pass but there are even less stopping and taking a look at the view.

I didn't see that many trailers on the roads. With such natural beauty, this way of touring the country would be quite sweet as well.

The Borgund Stave Church was built in 1180 and was purchased by the National Trust of Norway in 1877 for preservation.

The E16 highway connecting Oslo and Bergen turns into a tunnel across the mountains at Laerdal. For a more scenic way through the topography, head uphill along the Aurlandsfjellet, which opened as a construction access road in 1967. Reaching 1306m above the sea level, this road has various viewpoints along the way.

Although most of this road is closed for the winter, the section from Stegastein is open year-round. This viewpoint juts out 30m from the cliffside, 650m above the Aurlandsfjord.

More photos on my website : https://www.globalphotos.org/norway.htm
Next Stop : Bergen to Hardangerfjord
Old Mar 4, 2020, 12:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Stunning photography!
Old Mar 4, 2020, 5:59 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
Excellent pics. I love Norway and scenery and will be there in a couple of months.

I never understand why Europeans rave about New Zealand when they've never made the much shorter journey to Norway that has far more and better everything.
lhrpete likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 8:17 am
Community Director Emerita

Beautiful pictures. We drove thru the Norwegian fjords three years ago. This brings back great memories.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 11:25 am

Programs: BAEC and Hilton mostly
Great photos - and stunning weather! The blue skies help a lot
Old Mar 5, 2020, 3:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dover2Golf
Excellent pics. I love Norway and scenery and will be there in a couple of months.

I never understand why Europeans rave about New Zealand when they've never made the much shorter journey to Norway that has far more and better everything.
I guess Norway is still relatively undiscovered. Iceland has been all over the travel press already but I didn't see that many tourists plying Norway's roads during my 2 week trip.

I visited New Zealand a few years ago and did a road trip on South Island. I also prefer Norway a lot more!

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Stunning photography!
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Beautiful pictures. We drove thru the Norwegian fjords three years ago. This brings back great memories.
Thanks. I can't wait to return and head further north from Trondheim!

Originally Posted by Tocsin
Great photos - and stunning weather! The blue skies help a lot
Thanks. I was very lucky with the weather and only a short section from Alesund to Kristiansund was cloudy. I was very lucky in Bergen, expecting it to be wet as it tyically is 200+ days a year but I got some blue sky there, too!
Old Mar 5, 2020, 3:22 am
Original Poster

Section 2 : Bergen to Hardangerfjord (1 day)

With good weather in Bergen, I had an extra day to make a day trip out of the city. The weather was also very nice today, so it would be a pleasant but long drive out to Hardanger, a 179km-long fjord that is at most 900m deep. The drive is easy enough - head Oslo-bound on the E16 to Vossevangen and change to the 13.

A good break from the long drive is Skjervsfossen, which drops 150m over 2 falls. You will approach from the top end, which has a parking lot with a neat bathroom for you to observe the raging river.

Highway 13 crosses the fjord in a tunnel-and-bridge combination, an engineering feat. The southern end has a small park where you can catch a glimpse of the bridge. You won't see any approach roads on the other side as the highway enters into the tunnel right away.

Change to highway 7, which runs along the southern edge of the fjord. The next major town is Eidfjord.

Highway 7 then makes its way uphill through a number of tunnels, yet another engineering marvel. Do stop at the various pull-outs along the way, hike out and enjoy the views.

There are no safety railings, catch nets, and other gear to keep you away from nature, raw and wild. Take care when leaning against the cliff edges.

The furthest point on today's drive would be the Fossli Hotel, which is perched at the top of the fjod and overlooks another waterfall.

More photos on my website : https://www.globalphotos.org/norway.htm
Next Stop : Bergen to Stryn
Old Mar 5, 2020, 1:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Great report and pics.

I also agree with the comment about Norway vs NZ, I would vote for Norway every time - but maybe we should keep it a secret!
Old Mar 5, 2020, 3:02 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
Are you able to go into the old church at all? Fascinating trip report. I need to visit the homeland of my ancestors.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
Are you able to go into the old church at all? Fascinating trip report. I need to visit the homeland of my ancestors.
Yes, you can enter but I didn't pay the steep admission to do so and I just admired it from the outside.

Old May 22, 2020, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Section 3 : Bergen to Stryn

The drive from Bergen north to Trondheim is long but extremely scenic. Don't rush through it. Take your time and make plenty of detours. I took 4 days to explore this small quadrant of Norway and thought it was a bit rushed.

The E39 highway passes through many small towns and fjords as it heads north from Bergen. With few cars, make safe stops along the way when the scenery appeals to your senses.

The road turns into a ferry at Ytre Oppedal. Many highways in the country pass through bodies of water, and regular ferries transport both vehicles and people across, where the road resumes.

After the first ferry ride, the highway winds its way around the coast through a number of small towns.

At Vadheim, leave the highway and take the 55 along the coast for a beautiful detour.

A good lunch stop is the larger town of Balestrand, where you can eat by the coastline and admire the clear fjord waters.

After filling up, head along the coast a little more then inland on the 13.

The road will start zig-zagging uphill. This is the Gaularfjellet, one of the country's 18 scenic routes. Originally requested in 1853, it finally opened in 1938 and became a major transport route across the mountain. Stop at the Utsikten observation area where you can admire the road's ascent as well as the mountain backdrop at 700m above sea level.

After enjoying the view, continue down the 13 as it winds through a few lakes on the way back to the E39.

More photos on my website.
Old May 23, 2020, 11:16 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Wow, excellent report.

I was meant to be there at the moment so this is some compensation - but not enough!
Old May 27, 2020, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by hkskyline
Section 3 : Bergen

fter enjoying the view, continue down the 13 as it winds through a few lake on the way back to the E39.
Thatīs really cool!
Old May 30, 2020, 12:36 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your support. Here is the next part out of Stryn.

Gamle Strynefjellsvegen

Stryn is a good base to explore several scenic drives in the region. From my beautiful apartment with a view, I set off early to Gamle Strynefjellsvegen.

Along the way, the road skirts the southern edge of Oppstrynsvatn, offering good lake and mountain views that are worth a stop or two.

The Gamle Strynefjellsvegen was built to cater for tourists in 1894. It took Swedish immigrants over 10 years to build this mountain road, and a team of some 200 people kept it clear during the winter up until the 1950s. Although 27km long, prepare to spend a few hours slowly enjoying the drive and making many stops along this national scenic route.

Old Jun 21, 2020, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

After the last part, it was time for a lunch break. After filling up, it was time to visit the Dalsnibba viewpoint, a key scenic spot of the surrounding mountains and Geirangerfjord from 1500m above sea level.

The Nibbevegen toll road opened in 1939 and is only open from the late spring to early autumn. There is a large parking lot at the top and you are surrounded by plenty of great views.

SanDiego1K, lamphs and mkm4 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.