Reload this Page >

New Year in Oman - PremiAir, Oman Air F, Al Bustan Palace, W Muscat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Year in Oman - PremiAir, Oman Air F, Al Bustan Palace, W Muscat

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2020, 9:25 pm

Looks solid, and the premium terminal at MAN is wonderful!
Old Jan 4, 2020, 10:00 pm

Looking forward to the Al Bustan Palace. Was looking at staying there last year (but opted for the Shangri-La). Apparently it actually used to be a palace!
Old Jan 5, 2020, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by DanielW
Apparently it actually used to be a palace!
The Al Bustan was build for the Gulf Cooperation Council Summit. The top floor is still the private property of Sultan Qaboos. Official guests stay there,
Old Jan 5, 2020, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by DanielW
Looking forward to the Al Bustan Palace. Was looking at staying there last year (but opted for the Shangri-La). Apparently it actually used to be a palace!
Now up and mostly very positive, I'd definitely recommend it if you're looking to stay in Muscat and apart from maybe the Chedi I'm not sure you could do much better.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Now up and mostly very positive, I'd definitely recommend it if you're looking to stay in Muscat and apart from maybe the Chedi I'm not sure you could do much better.
Yes, and a very beautiful beach. Chedi is on the bucket list too.

Food and drinks prices aren't cheap, but that seems to be the case everywhere in Oman! Wine in particular is almost offensively expensive at the hotel with prices on par with or even above what you'd pay for the same bottle in expensive Central London restaurants.
Alcohol taxes are now 100% in Oman hence the prices.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 7:30 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Interesting you mentioned the BMW transfer. When we stayed there a few years back, we also booked the hotel service. The BMW 7 series couldn't fit both our normal sizes cases in the boot, so one had to go on the front seat.

The driver was surly and didn't speak once, or offer any assistance with the luggage. When we arrived at the hotel, he got out of the car, opened the boot and walked off, never to be seen again.

The rest of the stay was great though.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

The suite looks quite nice but 2000 are much too much
Old Jan 6, 2020, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
The BMW 7 series couldn't fit both our normal sizes cases in the boot, so one had to go on.
Be glad it wasn't a S-Class, it's even smaller
Old Jan 6, 2020, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum
The suite looks quite nice but 2000 are much too much
Yep, welcome to the Middle East between Christmas and New Year - the Chedi was already sold out when I came to book this trip with smaller suites at probably above that price.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 9:53 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Radisson Rewards Gold, Marriott Platinum
Whats your status with Marriott? Nice upgrade above and beyond by Ritz-Carlton Al Bustan.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Richey66
Whats your status with Marriott? Nice upgrade above and beyond by Ritz-Carlton Al Bustan.
I did have to ask very nicely for it! Titanium at the time but that stay actually made me Ambassador.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 8:38 am

Programs: Oman Air Gold, Qatar Airways Platinum, Marriott Ambassador, HH Diamond, GHA Black, Hyatt Globalist
WY106 (MAN-MCT) Business - 20.05 28th December

Hi just wondering did you use points or pay cash for the bookings? if paid cash did you go direct or through an agent? sorry to pry just find hard to get any good deals on oman air!
Old Jan 12, 2020, 8:46 am

Programs: Oman Air Gold, Qatar Airways Platinum, Marriott Ambassador, HH Diamond, GHA Black, Hyatt Globalist
Al Bustan Palace, Muscat

The hotel has a private beach which is very large and secluded, probably the nicest hotel beach (and overall setting) I've seen in the Middle East.

Also FYI no beaches in Oman are private, just some are harder to get to than others!
Old Jan 12, 2020, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AbuCordoba
Hi just wondering did you use points or pay cash for the bookings? if paid cash did you go direct or through an agent? sorry to pry just find hard to get any good deals on oman air!
What counts as a 'good deal' to you? First is basically never on offer with WY so always expensive, J you can get for <£2k from MAN to MCT fairly regularly and LHR is sometimes around £2k too. This was a mileage redemption both ways, I'd typically pay cash for flights to Asia where the prices are the same as MCT but you get two flights instead of one. I booked LHR-BKK for <£1.6k earlier this week for example (offer now gone).

Originally Posted by AbuCordoba
Also FYI no beaches in Oman are private, just some are harder to get to than others!
Are you sure? The hotel describes it as "Private beach and five swimming pools" and there was a security guard stood at the end of the beach stopping anyone else entering the hotel's area.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 10:19 am

Programs: Thai Silver,Skywards Silver,Gulf Silver, Interconti Prority Platinum, FR Priority Q!
Thumbs down Avoid the W on Fridays !!

Luckily your stay at the W was not on a Friday
Their WetDeck party for locals and young expats,with free flow booze and with booming 120db rave/house/bumpin beat/elecro mix music till 22.00, is worse than anything that Dubai comes up with and the complaint level is such that it may be stopped
I dearly hope so as this is not the Oman I know and love having travelled there,and to the Al Bustan. for 25 years
SS
NoY and Richey66 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.