Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ground Services Extraordinaire (and Inflight Too!): AF P / EY P

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2019, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Great tr and looking forward to more details :-)
Old Dec 15, 2019, 6:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON; UA GS; AF Plat; AA PP
AUH: The Residence Lounge

Back to the airport 15 hours later, I was greeted by the PA and porter at the curbside. Confirmed my luggage was already checked-in, we just breezed through security as my boarding pass was already issued.

One interesting thing about the service so far in the trip: since GRU, I did not touch my carry-on as the PAs and porters insisted in helping with it. This was also the case in AUH, with the porter also placing the bag on the security tray.

Here, however, I had to open the bag as the officer wanted to inspect my camera housing and the battery packs. The look on his face was like he had never seen a battery cell before. He was also unconvinced of my reply about the underwater camera housing, until he actually saw the camera inside the housing. But all was done professionally and took no more than 3 minutes altogether. I digress again ...

Onto the lounge! No check-in required and I was taken to the private Residence lounge and introduced to the butler, who I remembered form their past trip. Service level standard remained high, with the butler having already pre-arranged a spa booking and confirming my catering preferences.

The lounge is beautiful; I like the color scheme, lighting and all the furniture is incredibly comfortable. Apart from the main living/dining area, there is also a restroom and shower area, as well as a prayer room for muslim guests.

I had some Arabic coffee with a couple of dates, and followed with a dry martini, to start things.

After the drink I was taken to the spa. I could select two treatments, and opted for the “realignment” along with a head massage. The therapist was really good and I felt reinvigorated after the session.

I had planned not to eat and drink much at the lounge, and I am proud to say ... I failed miserably. The butler had his fair share of guilt, saying they had separated a special Billecart-Salmon Blanc de Blancs 2004 for me, that would pair very well with caviar. I was weak ... so took him on the offer. I also had a chilled tomato consome as a starter, which was a special request I had made in advance for something light in between flights.

After the meal, I just relaxed as I had had too many showers already LOL.

The next stressful moment was about to come ... boarding time approached and no one had come. Then the screen said boarding started, and despite my request to board first, still nothing. That was when the butler came in to tell me something ...
Old Dec 15, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: AA EXP Marriott Ambassador
Awesome TR! Looking forward to the rest.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 8:23 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Excellent report once again. I agree the Residence beats AF Premiere but the Residence really is a class of its own and as I'm sure you are about to confirm at its best on the AUH-SYD sector where you really have time to enjoy it.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by burg_rtw
That was when the butler came in to tell me something ...
Thanks for the cliffhanger
TommyD2, wrp96 and burg_rtw like this.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

I couldn’t resist
Old Dec 15, 2019, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

AUH-SYD: Etihad The Residence?

At the lounge, I was already trying to imagine what could have gone wrong. Last minute equipment change? But I kept it together.

After a few minutes, the butler came in and mentioned that the Residence cabin was not quite ready, and asked me to wait a while. He came back after five minutes, when the screen showed “last call” and explained me what was going on. There was a problem with the lights in the bedroom. They would either be on at full power or completely off for the duration of the flight. Maintenance tried to fix it for nearly an hour but with no success.

I was not particularly happy, but kept my cool. I was given the following options: go back to the hotel and be on the next day flight (which would be impossible given my schedule in OZ), sleep with lights on, have the bedroom dark. I said it was fine just to keep the bedroom dark and they paged maintenance to disconnect all the lights. Although it does not look too dark, it is the miracle of the new iPhone, which takes amazing images at night with limited light!

Crisis averted, we walked to the gate with my entourage, where I met the butler for the flight. I had specifically asked for this butler, from Portugal, which whom I had flown two years ago and we became friends. I was super happy to see him again.

Because of the snafu with the lights, I was the absolute last to board, so the doors closed as soon as I boarded. The butler was so disappointed, because he wanted everything to be perfect in the flight. I truly think he was more disappointed than me. At that point, I just decided to forget the issue and enjoy the flight, and deal with Etihad after my vacation.

[Fast forward to after my vacation, Etihad made it right by me in a mutually beneficial outcome]

Onto the flight review!

Flight: EY454
Seat: 1A
Load: 1/1

Given the delayed boarding, I just had an Arabic coffee and skipped the bubbly. I quickly went into the bedroom to get changed and the cabin was prepared for takeoff.

Knowing the butler made the flight even more enjoyable, as we were able to catch-up in person after two years. He remembered all my preferences and also confirmed my catering requests were loaded.

Another detail I forgot to mention on the prior installment, internet access is unlimited and apparently for as many devices required. Although I am not a big fan of inflight WiFi (I like the peace and quiet), I logged in on my cell.

First things first, let's pop that bubbly: a lovely Dom Perignon Rosé 2006, which was almost entirely polished throughout the flight. My usual vegetable crisps were served along with the champagne.

With activities officially started, another round of caviar, and I was informed I could have three servings! I of course obliged.

For the appetizer, I requested only the tabbouleh salad from the mezze, and the chef was kind enough to serve me a super-sized version of it, making me a happy camper.

For my main course, I selected the chef's recommendation again, which was another black cod, but with a different salsa-type sauce and some quinoa on the side.

Just to stretch my legs, I asked if I could see how the dish was plated, and went to the galley. The chef was just about to take the fish out of the oven, and I was surprised at the operation.

All is very organized and has its own compartment. For the fish, when the oven was opened, the chef actually removed a proper skillet from inside and you could see/hear the sizzling! I had no idea they had proper cookware. The fish was beautifully plated, and tasted as delicious as it looked like.

I skipped desert and moved to the first & business onboard lounge, where I had another glass of the bubbly, followed by a decaf espresso. I was by myself the whole time, as most of the cabin was still being served dinner (both in Business and First).

Another trivia ... either before takeoff or before service starts, the guest gets introduced to the purser (who can look after you when the butler is on his rest time) and to the chef.

Time to go to bed, after yet another round of deep apologies for the dark bedroom. I ended up using my cell phone lantern, along with the glare from the TV to get settled. There were some bumps here and there, so it took me a while to fall asleep. Eventually, I passed out and slept for a solid 7 hours, waking up with my alarm clock (not being scared by the butler this time ).

Shower time, and I was again given a 10-minute allotment. I probably used 5-6 minutes to get washed, and then just relaxed with hot water flow for another 4-5 minutes.

I then watched a movie, which involved lions, kings, other animals and well-known songs (I liked it and still knew almost all the lyrics).

After the movie, time for breakfast. I had requested the Korean Bibimbap for breakfast, and it was amazing. Served as it should be, with gochujang paste, sesame oil, et al. Seriously, it was very good and I probably ate it compulsively .

I was asked if I wanted another bottle of champagne opened, or some of the Chablis, but I declined as didn't want it to go to waste, so paired the Bibimpap with carrot juice and mint tea (oh the horror). Both tasted very fresh.

We still had a few hours to go, so I returned to the dark bedroom and whtched a couple of shows. Eventually, I got changed and moved to the living room for another Arabic coffee, mint tea served with honey, and some baklava.

Indeed, the experience in the long-haul flight is better in the Residence, as you get to sleep more, meals are paced nicely, and there is even time to visit the lounge for one (or three) glasses of champagne.

After the goodbyes and photo op, we were ready for landing.

At my request, instead of cutting the line to the door, I opted to disembark after First class.

Coming up: overnight at the Pullman SYD and QF domestic J to CNS.

Last edited by burg_rtw; Dec 15, 2019 at 3:18 pm
Old Dec 15, 2019, 4:28 pm

What a great TR! The cabins and lounges are already top notch, but your writing style is also very entertaining to read.
You forgot that the second shortest route from Brazil to Australia is flying through South Africa, but based on the products you choose, would hardly be as comfortable and relaxing.
wrp96 and burg_rtw like this.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 4:29 pm

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Great report! Cannot wait the diving part. Regarding your statement that AF F service is best at GRU, does ME3 airlines provide nothing? The only difference that I see comparing with LH/LX is the bag wrapping and more comfortable F area in the lounge. I had always refused personal assistant because there is zero advantage and I do know everything there, sounds silly just to have someone to walk with me. The caviar that had a yellow color is ossetra which has a bigger eggs than sevruga, usually served in F class. Yellow color means that the fish is older by age. I flew same route(LHR to SYD) but in Apartment. Felt really long flight.
burg_rtw likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Carq
What a great TR! The cabins and lounges are already top notch, but your writing style is also very entertaining to read.
You forgot that the second shortest route from Brazil to Australia is flying through South Africa, but based on the products you choose, would hardly be as comfortable and relaxing.
Forgot about South Africa! You are right! I have never been there, but it is on my bucket list for a safari some day
Old Dec 15, 2019, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jaenks
Great report! Cannot wait the diving part. Regarding your statement that AF F service is best at GRU, does ME3 airlines provide nothing? The only difference that I see comparing with LH/LX is the bag wrapping and more comfortable F area in the lounge. I had always refused personal assistant because there is zero advantage and I do know everything there, sounds silly just to have someone to walk with me. The caviar that had a yellow color is ossetra which has a bigger eggs than sevruga, usually served in F class. Yellow color means that the fish is older by age. I flew same route(LHR to SYD) but in Apartment. Felt really long flight.
I will tell you, the diving was amazing. When I get to the part, I will include some nice images. My hobby is underwater photography, and I think I got some cool shots on this trip.

LH/LX also offer the PA, and I have also refused them as indeed it makes no difference. The AF lady insisted and she was very nice, so I ended up accepting on this occasion. Unfortunately EY no longer flies to GRU and I have not flew EK out of GRU, so not sure how their service compares. I guess my comment was thinking about the full experience (ground and inflight), AF has an edge over LH/LX.

Thanks for the info on the caviar! I didn’t know that, very interesting, especially about the color.

LHR-SYD is indeed long; I joke that OZ is far away from everywhere!!
Old Dec 16, 2019, 9:09 am

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
To which programs you collected the miles? QF obviously to AA, presume EY to their program to redeem them on G3 or AA flights. AF flights?
Old Dec 16, 2019, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jaenks
To which programs you collected the miles? QF obviously to AA, presume EY to their program to redeem them on G3 or AA flights. AF flights?
That was a big internal debate for me ... I ended up collecting QF and EY to AA. My redemptions are normally flying to Japan, so I could use the extra AA miles (I think P class on EY gives 4x distance, so not bad).
I was collecting AF flights on the DL program until last year, but got invited to AF platinum this year so I am now using that program for skyteam. Let's see how that goes.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Sydney & Cairns: Pullman SYD, QF Business, Pullman International

At the risk of sounding repetitive, I was met by my gracious Etihad PA, and we hopped on the buggy for the short ride to immigration, we used the crew/diplomat line with no wait. Moving to customs, perhaps as I had four pieces of luggage (all on the small side), I was asked to place them on the x-ray, and that was that. No need to open any of them.

The Etihad chauffeur drove me to the Pullman SYD, which was just over 5 minutes away. Because of the change in schedule of my original SYD flight, Etihad also offered to cover this hotel, which was a nice gesture and also conveniently close to the airport.

Check-in was fast and I was assigned a corner room, which seems to be a standard room with additional windows. It was night and there was not much of a view. I just organized the basics and was ready to sleep.

Jet lag kicked in and I was up at 4am, with nothing to do … bummer. After the longest 3 hours ever, I went down and hopped into a taxi for the short ride to the domestic airport.

At the QF check-in, there seemed to be an issue with a passenger, so despite being first in line, it took nearly 10 minutes for me to get called. I got rid of the luggage and made my way to the lounge, for some QF birds gazing.

For a domestic lounge, I must say I was impressed. Breakfast offering was good, but the best thing was a DIY juice bar, with all sorts of fresh fruits and vegetable. So I was able to make my own carrot-celery juice!

I made my way through the gate and boarding started on time.

SYD-CNS: Qantas Domestic Business

Flight: QF922
Seat: 2A
Load: 28/28

The benefit of being in the morning flight was that it was operated by an A330, which I understand QF uses for longer domestic routes. So it was very comfortable for this 3-hour flight. Having said that, I was saturated of flying so it felt longer in my mind … the 14-hour time difference contributed to the feeling.

The aircraft looked new, seats were in great condition and perfectly comfortable for a mid-range flight. If I had to be picky, it does feel somehow narrow, but I was even able to take a nap.

Service was courteous and soon after take-off, breakfast was served. I chose the egg dish and it was very good (forgot to take a picture). I then browsed the IFE but was not in the mood of anything, so just listened to my own playlist.

We landed just ahead of schedule in sunny Cairns, which meant vacation time had officially started. Talk about a trek to get to the destination!

Pullman International Cairns

I had the best taxi driver to the hotel: an older gentleman who was into vintage music. The funniest part was when, 10 minutes into the trip, while chatting about the songs, he asked me “can you remind me where we are going; it just slipped my mind”. But he was so nice that we both laughed and I gave him a reminder about the Pullman.

My room was not quite ready, so I met with my dive buddy, who had also flown from Europe the night before. We went across the road to a local brewery and had a well-deserved beer with some charcuterie. I seriously needed that beer.

Back at the hotel, the room was ready. I had received an e-mail form the hotel a few days prior and bid for a suite upgrade, which was accepted. It had mountain views (no sea view), but that was alright, as I would have uninterrupted and amazing sea views for a full week, both above and under water!

The room was spacious, functional, but basic. More than enough for one night ahead of a dive cruise.

At night, we had dinner at one of the restaurants in the Cairns wharf, and I had a delicious barramundi fish paired with a couple of glasses of Australian white wine. Being up a little bit later (and by that I mean 9:30pm) helped with the jet lag.

Next morning, breakfast was included on my rate and I had a piece of toast and a big glass of juice made on the even more awesome DIY juice bar of the hotel: carrot, apple and loads of ginger was just what I needed.

Off to the dive shop just a few steps away to finally check-in to our dive adventure! We were super excited!

Up next: low-level flight over the Great Barrier Reef
wrp96 and chisquared like this.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 11:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Great TR!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.