FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trip Reports (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-reports-177/)
-   -   So this is Qatar Airways? UK-South Africa with QR (and a bit of BA). (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-reports/1998879-so-qatar-airways-uk-south-africa-qr-bit-ba.html)

T8191 Dec 9, 2019 10:16 am

Originally Posted by gaobest (Post 31821218)
Great TR / Im ok without pics as I know how that can occur.

I love your nicotine - do you use nicotine gum on flights??

Glad you love SA so much - what will your 2020 routing be??? I would have been curious about DOH lounges but can imagine the desire to continue on the journey with the 2 long haul flights. But that’s one huge lounge.

Greetings, and thank you! Photo restoration going quite well ... Part 2 just finished, and Part 3 imminent!!

Despite being both 20/day smokers, we son’t do the gum or patches stuff. We’re both ex-Military, so just tough it out and grab an opportunity when one arises!! :)

I suspect 2020 (or possibly Jan 21) will be the direct LGW-CPT. Less effort, albeit for fewer FFP benefits. But who knows? With so little time-zone shift, and the very comfy QR seating, we might ... apart from the fact that my beloved iWife doesn’t sleep on aircraft, which makes this routing rather hard on her.

wrp96 Dec 9, 2019 10:19 am

Now I'm no longer wondering what I had done that I couldn't see the pictures.

Tocsin Dec 9, 2019 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by T8191 (Post 31818850)
So I see!! They were showing fine on the Mac not 5 minutes ago. :(

Edit: they're still all there on my Mac, but only place-holders on iPad. Strange!.

All looking good now - I had another read from the start and caught up on the last parts. I have one or two 'bucket list' places, but SA has definitely risen up the list as a result of your TRs - thanks again!

(If you're not already using it, ExpertFlyer seems quite good at spotting QR's stealthy changes - we were able to track and amend some seats following airframe changes on the MAN-DOH part of the AKL run last year with the help of EF alerts).

wilsnunn Dec 9, 2019 3:08 pm

Another fantastic trip report Uncle T. South Africa is somewhere that Mrs Wilsnunn and I would love to visit, your trip reports do not help to subdue the desire!

It is such a shame about the lack of QSuite for your trip as it is an incredible experience.

I am looking forward to hearing more about your travels next year with that 2-4-1 voucher!

worldtrav Dec 9, 2019 6:34 pm

My last QR A350-900 flight was swapped from non Q suite to Q suite :) so it does happen both ways. I'm sorry you didn't get to try the Q Suite, it's in a class of its own.

Even without that nice swap generally I feel there's no comparison between BA J and QR J in the air, I would never set foot on BA if there is a reasonable QR option.

francophile Dec 9, 2019 10:56 pm

Your food pictures from South Africa look amazing. The food pictures on Qatar Airways don't look bad either. Thanks so much for the report

T8191 Dec 12, 2019 4:09 am

Ah, the missing Tier Points and Avios for the CPT-DOH leg have now credited. Claimed on-line on the 9th, received on the 12th ... and BAEC Gold renewed for another year! :D

How could a computer system fail to pick up one leg (# 3) of a 4-sector booking on the same tickets/PNR? :confused:

gypsyjaney Dec 12, 2019 4:23 pm

Another enjoyable report and some great photos. There was cause for pause along the way when I got to the bit about cases of champagne being carried to your room in Franschhoek I was full of admiration. Now there is a couple with style, I thought. After I had put my specs back on that I realized ( with some disappointment) that you were referring to luggage and merely glasses of champagne. Ah well.

BRITINJAPAN4 Dec 12, 2019 11:58 pm

Always an absolute joy to read your trip reports, when I see T8191 I have to take a look, thanks for your time and trouble

T8191 Dec 13, 2019 1:48 am

Originally Posted by gypsyjaney (Post 31834216)
Another enjoyable report and some great photos. There was cause for pause along the way when I got to the bit about cases of champagne being carried to your room in Franschhoek I was full of admiration. Now there is a couple with style, I thought. After I had put my specs back on that I realized ( with some disappointment) that you were referring to luggage and merely glasses of champagne. Ah well.

Hahaha ... no, we're not that greedy! Glad you enjoyed.

Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN4 (Post 31835096)
Always an absolute joy to read your trip reports, when I see T8191 I have to take a look, thanks for your time and trouble

How very kind, Sir. Thank you, and I'm glad you enjoyed it.

rapidex Dec 14, 2019 2:09 am

Great trip report once again Uncle T. I am rather surprised that an experienced Tier Point runner:D like you missed the little nuances like £20 off for 2000 Avios on BA.
I'm glad you and Iwife enjoyed the holiday. More like that will keep you young ,and give us more trip reports.^

T8191 Dec 14, 2019 4:37 am

Originally Posted by rapidex (Post 31838620)
Great trip report once again Uncle T. I am rather surprised that an experienced Tier Point runner:D like you missed the little nuances like £20 off for 2000 Avios on BA.
I'm glad you and Iwife enjoyed the holiday. More like that will keep you young ,and give us more trip reports.^

Cheers, rapidex ... glad you enjoyed it.

Not sure about the Avios bit, as I don't actively chase earning them. They arrive in great profusion from our normal activity, giving us a HHA balance which can approach 0.5m.

And this very morning we have booked the outbound leg to CPT for Dec 2020, using a 2-4-1 voucher. £498 well spent, as the fare would otherwise have been £5,897 EACH!
Almost certainly a repeat of the last 2 trips! Although this time it will be a BA 747 from LHR, which will be nice!

rapidex Dec 14, 2019 11:54 am

[QUOTE=T8191;31838807]Cheers, rapidex ... glad you enjoyed it.

Not sure about the Avios bit, as I don't actively chase earning them. They arrive in great profusion from our normal activity, giving us a HHA balance which can approach 0.5m.

And this very morning we have booked the outbound leg to CPT for Dec 2020, using a 2-4-1 voucher. £498 well spent, as the fare would otherwise have been £5,897 EACH!
Almost certainly a repeat of the last 2 trips! Although this time it will be a BA 747 from LHR, which will be nice![/QUO
TE Mrs rapidex loved the mussels ]now I have to compete with you for seats:D

T8191 Dec 14, 2019 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by rapidex (Post 31839775)

Originally Posted by T8191 (Post 31838807)
Cheers, rapidex ... glad you enjoyed it.

Almost certainly a repeat of the last 2 trips! Although this time it will be a BA 747 from LHR, which will be nice!

Mrs rapidex loved the mussels ,,, now I have to compete with you for seats:D

Just do it, my friend! You will LOVE IT!!

simoflyer Dec 24, 2019 8:38 am

Many thanks for sharing your recent experience and writing a trip report. I really do enjoy reading your reports and hope there are plenty more in the future...😃

My first BA experience to Capetown was in 1991 when the airport was named DF Malan. Back then there were no airbridges and the flight went via Joburg. Now there are plenty more options including your choice with Qatar.