Reload this Page >

NH F - NEW ANA First Class Suite Review

Old Nov 13, 19, 5:11 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn

Hi guys, it's been a long while since I posted over here but I thought you might be interested to read my TR for the new ANA First Class since nobody else has reviewed it anywhere yet.

I post all my TRs over on my (massively unprofitable) blog these days, since it allows me a greater degree of flexibility with designing an uploading my content. However I will give you enough detail here so that you don't have to click the link to the full review if you don't want to.

The full review: WORLD EXCLUSIVE REVIEW - ANA : New First Class Suite

Pre-Departure

I was warmly greeted at the door of the plane by two smiling flight attendants and immediately started snapping pictures as quickly as possible, before the other passengers boarded.

The 8 seat First Class cabin of the refurbished ANA 777

Once I had my shot of the First Class cabin, I quickly rushed past my seat (2A) and into the 2 row mini-cabin of business class. Excited though I was about First I was almost equally enthused by the prospect of seeing the groundbreaking new Business Class seat.

Bonus: A sneak peek of the new Business Class

The new ANA Business Class seat (5A)

I only had a brief chance to photograph the new Business Class seat but I have to say that I was extremely impressed. If you're in the two row mini-cabin, directly behind First Class, you'll be in a quiet and private cabin, with the same number of seats as First class.

The First Class Seat

Stepping into the First Class cabin the first thing you're struck by is the overwhelming enormity of the screens. At 43" and featuring a 4K resolution these rival what a lot of people have in their living rooms. To see this on an airplane is truly incredible

People usually have a strong desire to sit in row 1, meaning that the rear row in First tends to have empty seats. My plan of picking seat 2A worked perfectly. 2D was free to become my bedroom later on.

The seat is certainly not lacking in storage options. I was impressed both by the fact that the power supply supported fast charging and that HDMI connectivity was offered.

Very Meta: Editing photos of the flight whilst still on the flight. Unfortunately Seat 2A had a malfunctioning HDMI port as well as a broken storage compartment, which is why I was using seat 2D when connecting my laptop. Slightly worrying for such a new product...

This is in many ways the most exciting thing about the newly refreshed 777 cabins:

Finally an Asian carrier that permits passengers to control the temperature! In the past, enduring onsen-like temperatures was the trade off for superior service and food. Now you have air vents powerful enough to blow your chopsticks clean off the table, which is fine since connoisseurs eat sushi with their hands anyway ����

Food and Drink

I opted for the Japanese Kaiseki tasting menu as my lunch, preceded by a starter of mixed seafood and marinated vegetable crudites with caviar.

Focus firmly on the Krug �� This dish was absolutely exceptional. Truly magnificent. A mixture of fresh and vibrant vegetables with crab, scallops, lobster and a generous serving of caviar. This dish was genuinely indistinguishable from fine-dining served on the ground.

Not only was everything absolutely delicious I was also inspired to bake an avocado at home too after particularly enjoying that component of the main course! I also took the opportunity to sample the sublime Aramasa 6 X-type sake as a pairing to the fish elements. If the only sake you've ever tried came from a restaurant that serves two types: hot or cold, then the you will never forget your first taste of the good stuff. It is like an entirely different category of drink.

Bed

Living Room in 2A. Bedroom in 2D.

All the cushions and pillows are memory foam and there is plenty of space so spread out, the doors also ensure privacy and help to keep light out if you're in the centre seats. However, I did not sleep comfortably.

The memory foam mattress which I enjoyed on the old product is now gone. It has been replaced by a large linen napkin, roughly one micron thick. I've had far more comfortable sleeps in Business Class on the likes of AA, AC and NZ, all of whom offer proper thick mattress toppers.

Conclusion

I've been to Japan ten times since 2014 and have flown a wide variety of carriers there, including Thai, Virgin, Qatar, JAL and Cathay. Recently I had almost exclusively flown to and from the Land of the Rising Sun on JAL; it is a very easily accessible product which regularly makes 2 seats available for redemption and is a wonderful experience in almost every way.

However, every time that I flew JAL I couldn't help but think back to my ANA First Class flight back in 2014. Despite the bland seat with its blocked windows, I remember that flight very fondly and had been longing to try the experience again. I totally lucked out when booking this seat using Virgin miles. Availability was wide open back when I booked this, ten months ahead of the flight date and nobody had any idea that ANA would be releasing a new seat.

Where does the new ANA F stack up overall? I currently rate it second only to Singapore Suites. However ANA (much like SQ) still clearly need to work on their lounges. Lufthansa and SWISS both offer superb facilities to passengers in their home terminals and ANA's is an embarrassment in comparison. I'd honestly rather spend time in Cathay's outstation business class lounge in London than in the ANA Suite lounge in Haneda.

With these new seats ANA have issued a clear statement of intent. The hard product now matches the superlative service and phenomenal food offering. Will this be a flash in the pan or will ANA follow up to deliver a truly premium experience from end to end? Here's hoping...
Old Nov 13, 19, 7:56 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Looks like a fantastic new F product, thank you for sharing ^^

FYI for those not following OP's Instagram account I highly recommend it!
Old Nov 13, 19, 12:06 pm

Nice GUNS!
Harveynics likes this.
Old Nov 13, 19, 1:40 pm

Programs: Air Krapistan Poop Points "Scooper Level"
How tight was the foot well in the new business product?

Thanks
Old Nov 13, 19, 3:59 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Indeed a very nice product
Old Nov 13, 19, 4:10 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Madone59 View Post
Looks like a fantastic new F product, thank you for sharing ^^

FYI for those not following OP's Instagram account I highly recommend it!
Thanks, it feels slightly weird but also really good to be posting on here again!

Originally Posted by Qatar Airways View Post
Nice GUNS!
I like to think that His Excellency typed that

Originally Posted by nydave11 View Post
How tight was the foot well in the new business product?

Thanks
From what I saw it was ample. Unless you're a basketball player who sleeps with his feet pointing rigidly to the ceiling, you'll be ok.

Originally Posted by offerendum View Post
Indeed a very nice product
It doesn't get as much press as the new business class but honestly I was blown away. I'm having a tough time seeing how the EK Gamechanger can top this, but I'm looking forward to finding out in a couple of weeks...^
offerendum likes this.
Old Nov 13, 19, 7:35 pm

Programs: Delta GM, IHG Gold, HH Silver
Looks like a great new seat!
Jermyn likes this.
Old Nov 14, 19, 1:08 am

Looks like a wonderful product with solid catering. How was the crew's English?
Old Nov 14, 19, 6:49 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Jermyn View Post
Thanks, it feels slightly weird but also really good to be posting on here again!
It's good to have ya' back! Looking forward to more TR's in the future.
Jermyn likes this.
Old Nov 14, 19, 7:22 pm
htj

Thanks for the report! that seat looks incredible. I flew in the old seat today and had that same seafood appetizer. It was fantastic. For anyone reading that is "stuck" in the old NH F product, don't feel too bad, it's still really great.
Old Nov 15, 19, 2:53 am

Programs: QF P1 SQ PPS
Excellent and to the point as with all your reviews
Im sure I've read a review this year of the new ANA F on the A380 service to HNL as well which was interesting
Old Nov 15, 19, 9:42 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Spire; AA Gold and free agent (DH = AA EXP)
Great review and report. This new cabin looks amazing. Great job ANA.
Old Nov 15, 19, 9:36 pm

Do they let you keep the Champagne bottle, or was it just placed on the table for the photo op?
Old Nov 17, 19, 9:12 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Looks like a wonderful product with solid catering. How was the crew's English?
Yes it was absolutely fantastic! This is just a brief glimpse of the food, be sure to check out my website for all the meals and the full menus
The crew's English was mostly excellent. One crew member was a little more shy and spoke to me almost exclusively in Japanese.
However once I answered in (extremely basic) Japanese she loosened up and began to speak to me in English - probably to spare me the embarrassment!

Originally Posted by ianassum View Post
Excellent and to the point as with all your reviews
Im sure I've read a review this year of the new ANA F on the A380 service to HNL as well which was interesting
Thanks a lot!
That's right, my friend Cherag was on the first HNL-NRT flight and wrote a great review for upgraded points.
The main differences being that LHR gets superior catering (particularly Hibiki 21) and the 777 has a much larger IFE screen.
The A380 F seat does have additional side storage though.

Originally Posted by TravelLawyer View Post
Great review and report. This new cabin looks amazing. Great job ANA.
Thanks! Agreed, both F and J are a huge step up for ANA.

Originally Posted by cockpitvisit View Post
Do they let you keep the Champagne bottle, or was it just placed on the table for the photo op?
It's up to you. Most airlines are happy to leave the champagne in my experience. ANA included.
However they'll usually pop by to see if it needs chilling again, depending on how much is left.
Old Nov 19, 19, 10:47 am

How did you get a seat this time? Also Virgin? I had difficulty finding Business Awards to Japan end of March so I am going Asiana to Soeul first.
As you have been so often to Japan could you suggest places that are really worth visiting in addition to Kyoto and Tokyo of course?

Even economy seems to be great on ANA with 33" legroom I think.

Thanks.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: